• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going retro or "How to buy a NES?"

Hello!

I want to buy a NES from Ebay and saw a few auctions and I have a few questions:

Does the NES have a regioncode or can I play every game on it, not matter from where I buy the games?

I´m currently watching an auction where somebody is offering a NES that can play games from Japan, USA etc. with all cables, 2 controllers and 6 games including:

Castlevania, Simons Quest, Wizardry-Master Series 2, Rad Racer, Super Mario Bros, Tetris, Nintendo World Cup.

Are these games good (unfortunatly I only played Tetris and Super Mario Bros on a friend´s NES) and is this package 65 Euros worth?

Thank you!

Oh and what I missed:

Which games are absolutly necessary on a NES?

I´m currently watching Mike Tyson´s Punch Out and I got Super Mario Bros. 3.

From what I remember the difference between NES/Famicom is the number of pins in the cartdrige. You have to use a pin adapter to play US games in a Japanese system and vice-versa. Other than that there is no lock.

In the case of SNES/SuperFamicom it is even more simple, the format of the plastic mold of the cardrige is a little different, you can "adapt" your console to every format. No software lock as well.

BenT

I don't know what extra considerations being in a PAL region might bring in.

However, I can tell you that the top-loading NES released in America is a poor choice because Nintendo removed the composite video output and introduced ugly vertical line artifacts into the remaining RF output. Ugh.

The traditional gray "toaster" NES had better video quality but is much, much less reliable.

The various generic "famiclones" are generally made from cheap hardware and have compatibility problems as well as picture / audio errors.

IMO the best way to go (at least for NTSC gaming, dunno about PAL) is to import the AV Famicom from Japan. This is the Japanese model of the top loader. It retains a clean composite video output, unlike the American top loader, and is more reliable than the American toaster. The only problem is that its cart slot is designed for Japanese-sized carts, so you would need to find a NES-to-FC pin converter somewhere to play, say, American carts. (Again, dunno about Euro.)

Good luck getting your NES on!

robot

If you decide to buy one - I have Bible Adventures for sale!

You should also look into the Messiah, though I read it doesnt work with every game (notably Castlevania 2)

Ecrofirt

You'll do best getting a real NES and one of the new cartridge pin replacement things. You'll get composite video (red/white/yellow - though it's only got mono sound, so it's only white/yellow), and the games will look great.

Japanese games need a 68-72pin converter to make them work in a US NES.

Sanjuro

I have spare NES and games, what are you looking for exactly? If it can play NES and Japanese games most likely your bidding on Hong Kong trash. I have the Messiah system, it isnt nearly as bad as advertised..but not perfect either.

Also if you want to do the non-ebay route, Thrift stores and Gamecrazy are your friends. Although most Gamecrazy's including mine are getting slightly crowded with new product.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I have the Messiah system, it isnt nearly as bad as advertised..but not perfect either.

I've had zero problems with the generation Nex.

New wireless arcade stick coming out for it too!

koam

I have a new model NTSC NES that i'm trying to get rid of (top loader). It's an official unit, i think i have two controllers, i have the light gun. The RF adapter is a Sega branded on though hehe. Not selling any games though, i'm still keeping those.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Listen to BenT about the hardware. He knows what he's talking about. And yeah, if the system you're bidding on plays both JPN and US games, it's probably a cheap bootleg system. Do you have a link to the auction?

There is a ton of great NES games, and even more that are so-bad-that-they're-great. Here's a list of a few games that you should definitely try, though. Keep in mind that I made this list based of the U.S. releases, so it doesn't include and Japanese games.

1. Adventure Island 1-3
2. Adventures of Lolo 1-3
3. Battletoads
4. Bionic Commando
5. Blaster Master
6. Bubble Bobble 1-2
7. Castlevania 1-3
8. Contra
9. Donkey Kong Classics (contains DK and DK Jr.)
10. Double Dragon 1-3
11. Dragon Warrior 1-4
12. DuckTales 1-2
13. Final Fantasy
14. Gargoyle’s Quest II
15. Goonies II, The
16. Gradius
17. Ice Hockey
18. Karnov
19. Kickle Cubicle
20. Kid Icarus
21. Kid Niki: Radical Ninja
22. Kirby’s Adventure
23. Kung Fu
24. Legend of Zelda, The
25. Life Force
26. Little Nemo: The Dream Master
27. Mario Bros.
28. Mega Man 1-6 (at the very least, play 1-3)
29. Metal Gear
30. Metroid
31. Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!
32. Ninja Gaiden 1-3
33. R.C. Pro-Am
34. River City Ransom
35. Snow Bros.
36. Super C
37. Super Dodge Ball
38. Super Mario Bros. 1-3
39. Tetris (Nintendo version)
40. Tetris (Tengen version)
41. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

BenT said:
I don't know what extra considerations being in a PAL region might bring in.

However, I can tell you that the top-loading NES released in America is a poor choice because Nintendo removed the composite video output and introduced ugly vertical line artifacts into the remaining RF output. Ugh.

The traditional gray "toaster" NES had better video quality but is much, much less reliable.

The various generic "famiclones" are generally made from cheap hardware and have compatibility problems as well as picture / audio errors.

IMO the best way to go (at least for NTSC gaming, dunno about PAL) is to import the AV Famicom from Japan. This is the Japanese model of the top loader. It retains a clean composite video output, unlike the American top loader, and is more reliable than the American toaster. The only problem is that its cart slot is designed for Japanese-sized carts, so you would need to find a NES-to-FC pin converter somewhere to play, say, American carts. (Again, dunno about Euro.)

Good luck getting your NES on!

That was a good description, unfortunatly I´m sitting in PAL-land. :(

The seller on ebay told me that the NES (which should be able to play all NTSC and PAL-stuff) is modded.

The console looks like this:

9b3e_1vpw.jpg

That´s the picture from the auction. I don´t know if I should invest 65 Euros and buy that, concerning I´m a little sceptic if it´s this so called "HongKong-trash". :x

BenT

I have no idea what a "modded" NES might entail.

Your TV can display NTSC signals tbough, right? Isn't NTSC the way to go then? Unless you have a ton of Euro carts you simply must play...

I'm really not up on how compatible or incompatible PAL carts are on NTSC systems. Perhaps some PAL carts work with just pin converters, but I dunno. I feel for ya. Personally, I'd just go NTSC import-crazy since PAL sounds worse in almost every way.

I don´t even know if my TV can display NTSC. I think it´s a PAL. Nevertheless I sent a email to the seller if this thing can play the PAL-games without problems.

Top Bottom