• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going Scorched earth. Rest of Democrats breaking away from Senators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowster

I love Obama but his "when they go low, we go high" slogan sounds really stupid these days. Go scorched earth on them. Don't give them an inch when you have the option.

Ferrio

Banned
Neither of these things are true. One just has to look at the post war south to see how much the loosers can affect things. Nobody likes loosing, but it happens. You deal with it and don't act like a five year old going crying off to mommy like republicans did. Fight what you need to fight. Do what you need to do to win, but don't act like republicans did. Beleive it or not, that shit backfires, as I'm sure we're going to see in the next few years.

Well feel good in knowing when decades worth of social progress gets rolled back you can pat yourself on the back and say you were the better person.

Raven117

If you would have asked me six months ago, I would have said . . . nono...the Tea Party/Trumpers/hardline Republicans have it all wrong...this is a terrible political strategy that is not only not effective, but also destructive to the country.

Now...fuck it. It is effective, and still destructive.

wildfire

Banned
I'm with our misguided Jill Stein-voting friends for once in this thread:

No quarter, and no quarter to dems that capitulate either. It's now or never.

...by the way, this includes Bernie saying he would be happy to collaborate with Trump on trade-related issues.

We don't get to have it both ways.

It's either no compromise or some compromise. I say no compromise, full stop.

Let's not go full retard here. Bernie was against the TPP and wanted to renegotiate that. We individually should always push agendas that favor us. It doesn't matter if the Republicans are on our side. We will spit on their face after the ink is dry.

The Democratic Party, Ladies and Gentlemen:

M6sD17V.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.5710d7bad363

hawk2025

Now, you all better get ready for some personal sacrifice, too, and many of you in this very thread weren't last year.

If you want your representatives to burn bridges, you need to stand behind them when your dream candidate potentially doesn't succeed on his primary challenge.

No one will be in their best case scenario over the next four years, and no one is interested on you being a special snowflake. If you refuse to do your part, YOU are complicit.

Let's not go full retard here. Bernie was against the TPP and wanted to renegotiate that. We individually should always push agendas that favor us. It doesn't matter if the Republicans are on our side. We will spit on their face after the ink is dry.

Did I stutter?

No. Quarter.

Don't give Trump free publicity through a press release once he does something you personally like. He will inevitably do something EVERYONE likes. That's how you divide and conquer.

royalan

I'm not a fan of becoming more like republicans. I vote for democrats because they have a conciense, and at least try to have a dialogue before voting. I'm surprised people are in support of being obstructionist for the sake of it. I thought we were better than this.

The absolute last thing I want is for democrats to become like the GOP with regards to voting. Fuck Trump, and block any shitty stuff he proposes, absolutely. But if the only way for democrats to win I to become extreme to the point of hyperbole, America is already doomed.

You're using the tea party as a good example, really?

So, exactly which horrible, human rights violating policy do you want Democrats to work with Republicans on? You know, to demonstrate they have a conscience...

We are not in normal times. And we are not talking normal politics. LOOK at the Republican agenda. Look at the people it would hurt. Normally, I would be against total obstruction as well. But in this circumstance? With that the Republican party has become? Total obstruction is actually the moral thing to do.

olag

Neither of these things are true. One just has to look at the post war south to see how much the loosers can affect things. Nobody likes loosing, but it happens. .
I get the point you are trying to make, but I don't believe that point you are trying to make is s naunced as you might think.

There is a time for holding out an olive branch and hope for cooperation, and then there are times in history when hope involves standing up and obstructing ruthless conferdarates, Nazis, anti-intellectuals and bloodthirsty religious crusaders.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Some party leaders are wary of the implications of teeth-baring, no-holds-barred opposition. They worry about the difficult position in which it puts vulnerable Democratic senators — 10 of them will be up for reelection in 2018 in states that Trump carried.

Fuck outta here with that shit. The GOP has been doing the for 8 years, look where it got them.

Limit

It's not in the liberal DNA to take "no compromise" position. Plus we tend to be anti authoritarian too. So I don't see it possible for Dems to be in lock step with the party line on every single topic. Expecting a fair amount of compromise happening. That's just who we are.

wildfire

Banned
Did I stutter?

No. Quarter.

Don't give Trump free publicity through a press release once he does something you personally like. He will inevitably do something EVERYONE likes. That's how you divide and conquer.

Then you are going full retard. I won't. The strategy is to take take and take back some more. Not to take and fuck up our own plans.

UberTag

Any Dem that votes for DeVos deserves to be primary'd against and lose their seat.
Franken puts his reputation on the line by telling Maddow that the Democrats have a consensus strategy and that they will stand united against DeVos.
If anyone breaks ranks, I suspect there will be hell to pay.

olag

It's not in the liberal DNA to take "no compromise" position. Plus we tend to be anti authoritarian too. So I don't see it possible for Dems to be in lock step with the party line on every single topic. Expecting a fair amount of compromise happening. That's just who we are.
Stonewalling isnt just a matter of putting your thumbs in your ears and singing "La la la" like the republicans have been doing. Its about about recognising that if democrats dont stand up against the republicans, people will DIE. Perhaps its time for the Dems to ponder this as well.

wildfire

Banned

Yeah the base is too diverse in general but Trump and his ilk have given so many of us a thorough wake up call and I doubt compromise is on most of the loudspoken people's tables.

hawk2025

Then you are going full retard. I won't. The strategy is to take take and take back some more. Not to take and fuck up our own plans.

Democrats have a minority. Once they are divided towards "individually should always push agendas that favor us" -- there is no longer a blocking coalition, because there is NO agreement amongst this minority on what "favor us" means.

You CAN'T take on trade, because some other democrat wants to take on a policy that appeals to their constituency.

It's either no quarter or open up to compromises, and there's no middle ground. If you want to open it up to "but maybe just this one thing", the whole position unravels.

Understand the need for the personal sacrifice, or give up on this kind of position altogether.

UberTag

I love Obama but his "when they go low, we go high" slogan sounds really stupid these days. Go scorched earth on them. Don't give them an inch when you have the option.
These aren't mutually exclusive philosophies. You can hold no quarter against the Republicans, be firm, be resolute, condemn them for being the scum that they are and yet still take the high road. Hell, the Republicans got where they are by playing dirty and cheating the system. To go lower than them you'd have to go underground.

But yeah, no more reaching across the aisle. Do that and you only get bit. The Republicans have forfeited any right to a conciliatory opposition.

IrishNinja

Some party leaders are wary of the implications of teeth-baring, no-holds-barred opposition. They worry about the difficult position in which it puts vulnerable Democratic senators — 10 of them will be up for reelection in 2018 in states that Trump carried.

There are also concerns about the dangers of appearing overly obstructionist, and the possible blowback it could create for party officeholders up and down the ballot in 2018. An explicitly aggressive approach also stands to shape the 2020 presidential field, incentivizing potential candidates to compete in expressing their level of anti-Trump vitriol.

where's the negative here? being obstructionist as fuck didn't seem to hurt the GOP much

Or-

We get a repeat of 2008. Donald and co. fuck up so badly that they lose every branch of government again. I've been waiting for this tactic for a while now... I'm glad the party is waking up. Populism is in, baby. Ride the wave.

yeah, i like the sound of it, until i think about what a state of shambles the dems would be walking into - just to try to fix much of it, watch the bullshit "pendulum" swing again and, again, have the right take credit for things they didn't do

wildfire

Banned
Stonewalling isnt just a matter of putting your thumbs in your ears and singing "La la la" like the republicans have been doing. Its about about recognising the if democrats dont stand up against the republicans, people will DIE. Perhaps its time for the Dems to ponder this as well.

Case in point, Trump declaring we should take Iraq's oil is now putting 5000 troops in an increasingly delicate situation where our ally no has to consider after ISIS is booted if they should turning their guns towards them.

sangreal

I want this to be true but I know it isn't. Barely even see them out there on the cable shows pushing back. Angry tweets isn't gonna cut it

On the one hand, Trump certainly doesn't deserve any olive branches.

On the other hand, more partisan gridlock will create more political dysfuction and American politics will continue its downward slide, which will simply enable more Trump-like candidates to emerge in the future.

How the fuck do we get out of this death spiral?

At some point, if America is the great experiment, we need to acknowledge that experiments can fail.

So, exactly which horrible, human rights violating policy do you want Democrats to work with Republicans on? You know, to demonstrate they have a conscience...

We are not in normal times. And we are not talking normal politics. LOOK at the Republican agenda. Look at the people it would hurt. Normally, I would be against total obstruction as well. But in this circumstance? With that the Republican party has become? Total obstruction is actually the moral thing to do.

The only thing that has me scratching my head is I just don't necessarily understand the need to be obstructionist for the mere sake of it. I get that people look at what the Tea Party did and think it's time to fight fire with fire and send a clear message that we will not cooperate with this monster. But at the same time, I also think that this can be petty and counterproductive.

You note that the GOP wants to push policy that violates human rights. OK. We should oppose it then because it's bad policy. If that's all they want to ram through while they're in charge, then I absolutely agree that it should be opposed. But again, I'd oppose it not because there's a pact in place to resist Trump but instead because these are bad proposals.

But if Trump shocked everyone and did something crazy like nominate Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court vacancy (just as an example), the way people are acting is that we'd want Democrats to oppose because we must RESIST TRUMP at all costs and not cooperate with him under any circumstance. And if that comes across as a disingenuous example and not indicative of something that we need to stand up to Trump on, then I don't really understand what we're urging Dems in office to do.

wildfire

Banned
Democrats have a minority. Once they are divided towards "individually should always push agendas that favor us" -- there is no longer a blocking coalition, because there is NO agreement amongst this minority on what "favor us" means.

This is fundamentally correct but it's not always true. The current GOP is so chaotic and disaster prone less and less people are going to be interested in breaking ranks. Also I'm sure there are 1 or 2 agendas that 90%+ of democrats want to see not harmed by our own efforts.

Game Guru

blue dog democrats

The Blue Dog Democrats were decimated by the Tea Party in 2010. The sort of middle ground that the Blue Dog Democrats represented just isn't possible anymore with the Republican Party the way it currently is. Now that does not mean that Democrats in South Dakota shouldn't be focused on issues that plague South Dakotans over say issues that plague California, but it does mean having a line in the sand that the Democrats will not cross and then fighting the Republicans when they try to cross it.

I'm not a fan of becoming more like republicans. I vote for democrats because they have a conciense, and at least try to have a dialogue before voting. I'm surprised people are in support of being obstructionist for the sake of it. I thought we were better than this.

The absolute last thing I want is for democrats to become like the GOP with regards to voting. Fuck Trump, and block any shitty stuff he proposes, absolutely. But if the only way for democrats to win I to become extreme to the point of hyperbole, America is already doomed.

You're using the tea party as a good example, really?

Thing is, they tried. They tried for 8 years. The GOP as it is now isn't interested in having a dialogue, they are not interested in debate. It's time to clamp down, otherwise we run a very real risk of losing everything we've built towards in my lifetime.

Ferrio

Banned
The only thing that has me scratching my head is I just don't necessarily understand the need to be obstructionist for there mere sake of it. I get that people look at what the Tea Party did and think it's time to fight fire with fire and send a clear message that we we not cooperate with this monster. But at the same time, I also think that this can be petty and counterproductive.

You note that the GOP wants to push policy that violates human rights. OK. We should oppose it then because it's bad policy. If that's all they want to ram through while they're in charge, then I absolutely agree that it should be opposed. But again, I'd oppose it not because there's a pact in place to resist Trump but instead because these are bad proposals.

But if Trump shocked everyone and did something crazy like nominate Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court vacancy (just as an example), the way people are acting is that we'd want Democrats to oppose because we must RESIST TRUMP at all costs and not cooperate with him under any circumstance. And if that comes across as a disingenuous example and not indicative of something that we need to stand up to Trump on, then I don't really understand what we're urging Dems in office to do.

It's a way to rebuild the party just like the GOP did. Weed out the people that'd rather take the easy route and roll over. Maybe then we can get enough people to push Dems back to the left where they belong.

hawk2025

This is fundamentally correct but it's not always true. The current GOP is so chaotic and disaster prone less and less people are going to be interested in breaking ranks. Also I'm sure there are 1 or 2 agendas that 90%+ of democrats want to see not harmed by our own efforts.

I agree, and I regret playing the position for a few posts to point out the ramifications of that. It turned out much less obvious than I expected :p. See below for the details.

The only thing that has me scratching my head is I just don't necessarily understand the need to be obstructionist for there mere sake of it. I get that people look at what the Tea Party did and think it's time to fight fire with fire and send a clear message that we we not cooperate with this monster. But at the same time, I also think that this can be petty and counterproductive.

And that's what I was hoping to get with the discussion -- this is what no quarter leads to. If there's no compromise, what happens in the eventuality that everyone agrees? How do you even sustain that, as wildfire alluded to? I don't think I made that point clear enough to highlights the logical flaws of what I was saying, but taking off the devil's advocate hat: No quarter is not feasible because there are other interests at play that will come up.
The tea party could do it because they could frame the president and the opposition through a veil of racism and complete disregard for policy. How could liberals possibly do that?

This isn't an easy position to take for any coalition.

Now, what this could mean?

Stop thinking in terms of "political capital", because Republicans no longer think that way. Confirming Rex won't buy you capital to block DeVos. This much should be clear -- that's the kind of "no compromise" that should be talked about IMO.

Malvolio

Just as the ratings hungry networks legitimized Trump by not calling him out on his bullshit during the primary/election period, not standing up now also gives the world the notion that we're OK with his actions. Anyone that is willing to play ball with this joke of a human being only makes him stronger. For fuck's sake grow a spine and be on the right side of history.

The Democratic Party, Ladies and Gentlemen:

snip

So I don't really care about changes in the minimum wage go up either, as a Democrat.

Let's put this through theoretically. We raise the minimum wage to $15. Great, this is fantastic for people right now at this point in time. Companies, as they do right now, adjust for this higher cost, and they push for continued "growth" aka higher profit margins. Now rent, instead of costing $1380 a month on average for a 1br in Denver, now costs some value higher because of increased demand. Now someone who could afford their apartment can't afford to anymore, and they join that search for housing.

Someone who doesn't have a job doesn't benefit from higher wages either, because now everything is harder for that person to attain just to even get to a job interview.

The problem with economics isn't about how much the lowest paid are paid. There can be a $1 minimum wage, or there can be a $20 minimum wage. Right now the problem is with corporate ethics, plutocratic influence in government, and the market drive that considers the only businesses to be solvent are ones that have year over year growth, which is a hilarious concept. If you even have even years, it's considered a risk. Rubbermaid, for example, wants to unload a huge chunk of outdoor equipment companies that are profitable, but don't grow profit margins to the extent that they are not a risk.

We need corporate reform where money flows back into the country, and the laborer. Where companies want to continue to pay more for continued services, rather than this current environment where it's a better deal to hop from job to job. Minimum wage hikes only do that to an extent before the balance shifts back to what it was.

So does that make me a bad liberal?
Do I bring up an invalid perspective?
Does there need to be a rigid catastrophic break in support because of that single issue?

Trump is a threat to global peace, stability, and progress. If there are Democrats who are wishy-washy about opposing him they need to get the hell out of the way. The unifying force for Democrats is him - Donald Trump.

sangreal

Get rid of stupid shit like the Hastert Rule and we can talk. Otherwise there is no point in Democrats pretending to have any power by voting for anything. Let the GOP own their own agenda, good or bad. I don't think everything should be filibustered, but that will be moot soon anyway.

RPGCrazied

I can't wait to see what democrats vote yes for Rex, DeVos, the health and EPA picks. Those are the democrats that need to go and shouldn't be elected again.

royalan

The only thing that has me scratching my head is I just don't necessarily understand the need to be obstructionist for the mere sake of it. I get that people look at what the Tea Party did and think it's time to fight fire with fire and send a clear message that we will not cooperate with this monster. But at the same time, I also think that this can be petty and counterproductive.

For me, and a lot of Dems, it's simple. The Republican party, by and large, has reformed themselves into the party of blatant human rights violations, crony capitalism, racism, harming the poor and working class, and complete disregard for our Constitution and governing norms. Look at their agenda. It's was they're about.

You don't OK that just because they MIGHT occasionally propose a halfway decent infrastructure bill.

hawk2025

So I don't really care about changes in the minimum wage go up either, as a Democrat.

Let's put this through theoretically. We raise the minimum wage to $15. Great, this is fantastic for people right now at this point in time. Companies, as they do right now, adjust for this higher cost, and they push for continued "growth" aka higher profit margins. Now rent, instead of costing $1380 a month on average for a 1br in Denver, now costs some value higher because of increased demand. Now someone who could afford their apartment can't afford to anymore, and they join that search for housing.

Someone who doesn't have a job doesn't benefit from higher wages either, because now everything is harder for that person to attain just to even get to a job interview.

The problem with economics isn't about how much the lowest paid are paid. There can be a $1 minimum wage, or there can be a $20 minimum wage. Right now the problem is with corporate ethics, plutocratic influence in government, and the market drive that considers the only businesses to be solvent are ones that have year over year growth, which is a hilarious concept. If you even have even years, it's considered a risk. Rubbermaid, for example, wants to unload a huge chunk of outdoor equipment companies that are profitable, but don't grow profit margins to the extent that they are not a risk.

We need corporate reform where money flows back into the country, and the laborer. Where companies want to continue to pay more for continued services, rather than this current environment where it's a better deal to hop from job to job. Minimum wage hikes only do that to an extent before the balance shifts back to what it was.

So does that make me a bad liberal?
Do I bring up an invalid perspective?
Does there need to be a rigid catastrophic break in support because of that single issue?

Well, this one thankfully has a pretty easy answer: there's significant empirical evidence that an increase of the minimum wage to $12 or so would be BETTER for the economy -- because the passthrough to consumption is so high that the impact is a net positive.

So that's a start. Getting to your deeper question is obviously harder, but there is things we can do. The easy economic answer that says Unions cause unemployment is correct, but is only part of the answer: It also increases the bargaining power of workers. So why aren't we willing to sacrifice some efficiency for equality and shift towards a system where emplyment is not necessary?

A stronger safety net also increases the bargaining power of the employee. We can have policies that potentially mandate profit-sharing based on time of employment.

There's lots to think about.

Screaming "BANKS ARE BAD" accomplishes nothing. Be aware of the tradeoff. Be aware that strengthening unions can increase unemployment and be ready to address that. Simplistic answers need to be buried along with the Republican platform.

wildfire

Banned
I agree, and I regret playing the position for a few posts to point out the ramifications of that. It turned out much less obvious than I expected :p. See below for the details.

No need to apologize. There are 3 or 4 people in this thread who look like they are heading down that path and it's worth hashing it out.

The way the GOP entrapped themselves with the ACA by attaching Obama's name to it and making their base more susceptible to the idea of replacing what has traditionally been their idea was their one big mistake in a series of moves that ended up being victories (including shutting down the government)

Their base loves health insurance and would hate it if it got worse so this is an extreme scenario we should avoid.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Good. Its about time the democratic party start listening to its constituents rather than its donors. We're pissed and screaming for blood. We're applying war paint. We are preparing to march.

Indeed. If this is truly the stance they plan to take and we start seeing some good leadership step up, I will begin to spend both my time and money on the party.

Ferrio

Banned
No need to apologize. There are 3 or 4 people in this thread who look like they are heading down that path and it's worth hashing it out.

The way the GOP entrapped themselves with the ACA by attaching Obama's name to it and making their base more susceptible to the idea of replacing what has traditionally been their idea was their one big mistake in a series of moves that ended up being victories (including shutting down the government)

Their base loves health insurance and would hate it if it got worse so this is an extreme scenario we should avoid.

I think people are putting way too much faith in the whole ACA biting the GOP in the ass. When it's said and done I doubt their base is going to give a shit if they leave it intact/rebrand it.

Maxim726X

yeah, i like the sound of it, until i think about what a state of shambles the dems would be walking into - just to try to fix much of it, watch the bullshit "pendulum" swing again and, again, have the right take credit for things they didn't do

That was more of a failure of the Democratic messaging apparatus than success/failure of their policy decisions.

And Obama's incessant need to placate the Republicans.

Where were the Democrats after the last few job reports? They should have been screaming the job additions from every mountaintop... Instead, Trump gets headlines for saving a mere 700 jobs- At the expense of the taxpayer, no less. The party needs to start boasting more, if only to let the public know of their successes.

What good will being obstructionist if the GOP will just pass their agenda through reconciliation especially when the GOP can just pin all the bad consequences of their policies on the Democrats?

Gutek

Don't negotiate with terrorists.

RPGCrazied

Will obstructing them do anything though? Don't the republicans control everything.

I'm sure there is tatics they can use to just delay, delay, delay. They need to do that on his cabinet nominees and specially the supreme court justice pick. Republicans sat on that for a fucking year. That was Obama's pick, they stole it. I wouldn't confirm shit.

FStubbs

That was more of a failure of the Democratic messaging apparatus than success/failure of their policy decisions.

And Obama's incessant need to placate the Republicans.

Where were the Democrats after the last few job reports? They should have been screaming the job additions from every mountaintop... Instead, Trump gets headlines for saving a mere 700 jobs- At the expense of the taxpayer, no less. The party needs to start boasting more, if only to let the public know of their successes.

That would require the so-called liberal media to actually report on that.

This vast liberal media. Where is it? I'd like to know. Certainly not on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom