• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gold Mario Amiibo sold out in 15 min, on Ebay for $199

hawk2025

Why are people blaming Nintendo? Blame the scalpers. Even with a one per person limit there will always be people buying and putting it directly on eBay. Nature of the game when it comes to collectables and no matter how many Nintendo prints it will still be the case.

Nintendo controls the supply.

ANY market with demand greater than supply will have reselling.
No, it is not true that no matter how many Nintendo prints it will always be the case. That would violate every single law of Economics known to man. Scalpers don't have market power. They bank and require undersupply.

rjinaz

There are 32 Buy It Nows available for less than $70, so no this isn't selling for $199.

When the thread was made, that was the case. Just like now there are some for under $40. I suspect that price will go back up if walmart doesn't put these back up for preorder soon.

Ricky 7

People paying these prices are fools. We don't even know how readily available they will be in-store once March 20 comes around.
I think a lot of these people buying from the scalpers are collectors from foreign countries who have no other way of obtaining these Amiibos, such as collectors from Arabian countries.

bms2993

Banned
Today, I am an asshole. I don't know if I should take it down or not...

I feel like I should... the guilt is too much.

Threads and headlines like this create scalpers every time you get outraged a scalper is born.
Today, I am an asshole. I don't know if I should take it down or not...

I feel like I should... the guilt is too much.
Donate 10%+ to a good charity. You win.

Neff

These things are becoming some of the best scalper targets in the games industry in a long while and Nintendo needs to do something about it. People are obviously going to want them, but the supply situation is creating an unsavoury mini-industry of its own, and it makes Nintendo look like jerks.

It's gonna be funny when the Amiibo bubble bursts.

I believe it will if things continue to be this way. People are just going to give up interest and assume launch day is over before it's begun.

Draxal

These things are becoming some of the best scalper targets in the games industry in a long while and Nintendo needs to do something about it. People are obviously going to want them, but the supply situation is creating an unsavoury mini-industry of its own, and it makes Nintendo look like jerks.

I believe it will if things continue to be this way. People are just going to give up interest and assume launch day is over before it's begun.

The bubble has burst for peach, it's just limited supply for the other Amiibos.

Rymuth

B-yNvfaWoAAT7k7.jpg:large
This made me laugh out way too loud.

Nintendo is the main culprit here. Why doesn't Nintendo just make more of these plastic figures? They constantly limit their supplies to increase demand and that sucks for all of you Nintendo fans that actually want these.

I wish Nintendo would first address the demand of existing Amiibos, which already are being heavily scalped, before releasing any rare Golden Marios. It shouldn't be that complicated.

I took it down. I never want to take advantage of people. :(

I didn't get one, but if you have an extra and you want to sell it, go for it. You can always list it far cheaper than the other Buy It Now's.

Of course you could always sale it in the buy/sell/trade thread or trade it with another gaffer.

nope, I tried helping this time as I spotted posts that it was up early on. hopefully there is a third wave and you get in on that one.

merely a limit of 2 per order, unlikely there is an overall limit.

According to Wal Mart support they only track the 2 limit by email, so therefore there really is no limit as emails are infinite and thus they can continue placing orders until it's OOS.

rjinaz

I took it down. I never want to take advantage of people. :(

I have only sold a preorder on ebay once. I was so worried the buyer would change their minds. I constantly emailed them to assure them and give them updates. It was kind of stressful, watching prices to see if the buyer would decide they got ripped off.
Also worried about the preorder I had being delayed or canceled.

Ultimately I decided to never do it again. Wait until you have it in hand, then decide.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
If anyone has one they don't need: I have some rare amiibos like Marth and Villager (still boxed, etc.) to trade :)

Neff

I wish Nintendo would first address the demand of existing Amiibos, which already are being heavily scalped, before releasing any rare Golden Marios. It shouldn't be that complicated.

Nintendo is the main culprit here. Why doesn't Nintendo just make more of these plastic figures? They constantly limit their supplies to increase demand and that sucks for all of you Nintendo fans that actually want these.

The problem I believe is that manufacture of Amiibos probably goes back further than we think, and also that Nintendo drastically underestimated demand (which isn't surprising, Nintendo usually plays things super-safe). If they want to make more, then my guess is that they'll have to re-establish manufacturing processes that they assumed they wouldn't need anymore, or at least for a long time.

Of course, what they should have done is prioritise stock for their own stores and done the 'limit one per customer' thing as soon as it was evident that people were going to fall over themselves to get these figures.

impact

Banned
$200 for that hideous ass toy

Well done Nintendo, now please let me buy a Gamecube adapter. You have enough money.

Fox Mulder

Nintendo is having production issue, but I think they also love to have the frenzy around their products.

The wiiu is selling like shit and they just produce less of everything now. Their shrinking fan base is giving them more money and making their brand look hot.

MS and Sony sell more consoles but lack the constant frenzy around everything they release.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
The problem I believe is that manufacture of Amiibos probably goes back further than we think, and also that Nintendo drastically underestimated demand (which isn't surprising, Nintendo usually plays things super-safe). If they want to make more, then my guess is that they'll have to re-establish manufacturing processes that they assumed they wouldn't need anymore, or at least for a long time.

Not only that, but: there is very limited shelf space for amiibo. There have been, what, 30 different amiibos released so far? No store will have space for all amiibos, which is why Nintendo needs to be sure that every wave (bar the main guys) are sold out whenever the next one hits.

The rarity of amiibos is less of a marketing ploy than you think; there aren't a lot of other ways Nintendo can do this properly without jeapordizing the whole thing. Better to underproduce than to overproduce.

geordiemp

Nintendo is having production issue, but I think they also love to have the frenzy around their products.

The wiiu is selling like shit and they just produce less of everything now. Their shrinking fan base is giving them more money and making their brand look hot.

MS and Sony sell more consoles but lack the constant frenzy around everything they release.

Do you really think outside of the infamous Nintendo Hardcore that anybody else thinks plastic toys of game figures are really hot ?

Its called monetising the existing fanbase. If people buy them, expect toys every year in limited quantities, just enough to create demand.

This is perhaps the only reason why I might be tempted to buy one, otherwise I think they are rather gaudy and ugly looking, not worth displaying at all.

Probably are worthless which one did you see?

Mario, Samus, Link, Pikachu, Donkey Kong and Peach for sure. More than that, but I couldn't tell you who. I go in Wal-Mart and Fry's quite a bit, and they always have a lot. I probably wouldn't even look at them except I can't help glancing to see if any of the Samus ones have two gun arms. I heard about that, and now I always have to look.

I've only bought 2: Samus and Link. The rest of the characters are fun, but those are the only two I think look cool, and are still iconic enough for me to want them on display.

That's how you know they approve of this whole situation. Iwata acted surprised (but not disappointed) at the Investor Conference when talking about the high price these fetch on the second-hand market. If they cared about pleasing fans, they would restock some of the previous waves. But nope, more retailer exclusives with EXTRA RARE GOLD Marios! They know exactly what they are doing.

bobawesome

My dad used to collect Hot Wheels, thousands of them, and would drag my brother and I to conventions where he hunted down the rarest cars, the "Treasure Hunts".

All the stupidity surrounding Amiibos reminds me of that.

Am I crazy? Why are these going for so much money? They're still in stock at Walmart.com...
I just bought one and got confirmation.
So confused.

My dad used to collect Hot Wheels, thousands of them, and would drag my brother and I to conventions where he hunted down the rarest cars, the "Treasure Hunts".

All the stupidity surrounding Amiibos reminds me of that.
If there are conventions for Amiibos I might go out of morbid curiosity.

Top of the page, would you look at that.

Top Bottom