• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gold Mario Amiibo sold out in 15 min, on Ebay for $199

KaYotiX

Banned
Lol Amiibo bubble gonna burst in a year then i can buy them all for $2 a piece.

Funny how nintendo comes up with cool ideas then fucks up the entire execution of selling it.

Figurines with game uses + Nintendo + Mario + Gold =

hqdefault.jpg

Well, yeah. I get that part. I was confused because they were still in stock for $12 at Walmart while people were paying $200 on ebay. I guess I just got lucky.

Astral Dog

wow so much negativity with Amiibo at first page.
This is just what happens with every limited item, Gold Mario probably won't be that difficult to find at Wal-Mart.
that said its such a silly exclusive, Gold Mario? what the hell.

zeelman

wow so much negativity with Amiibo at first page.
This is just what happens with every limited item, Gold Mario probably won't be that difficult to find at Wal-Mart.
that said its such a silly exclusive, Gold Mario? what the hell.

This only happened because NOA decided to make it exclusive to one retailer, and yet again they vastly underestimated demand for it. How many times is this going to happen before they wake up? I want to give Nintendo my money for amiibos, not scalpers.

TxdoHawk

Nintendo is the main culprit here. Why doesn't Nintendo just make more of these plastic figures? They constantly limit their supplies to increase demand and that sucks for all of you Nintendo fans that actually want these.

You pretty much answered your own question. Limited supply maintains demand and desirability. See: Sneaker releases, Mondo posters, the Wii, tons of other stuff.

Astral Dog

This only happened because NOA decided to make it exclusive to one retailer, and yet again they vastly underestimated demand for it. How many times is this going to happen before they wake up? I want to give Nintendo my money for amiibos, not scalpers.
So its NOA then?
they never learn.

Maengun1

People buying pre-orders of a $13 toy to sell for $200 are scumbags, but they couldn't do it if people weren't buying. It's a self-fulfilling cycle. Not really more to it than that.

I've been trying to collect the amiibos, but for the most part if I can't get in a pre-order or find it in store, I just don't get that one. I made 2 exceptions where I imported from foreign Amazon pages for a few bucks more. But I would never, ever, ever pay someone a penny over $13 after they deliberately scooped them all up to jack up the price. Wish everyone else felt the same, but there's clearly enough people shelling out for it to continue.

Owwari

Banned
We're pretty much animals in the eyes of big corporations right now, congratulations to all of you that keep dishing out money leaving all kinds of self-respect behind.

It's come to this.

I really don't understand this whole thing, and in ways makes me both disappointed and glad that I didn't pick up MK8 (does that have amiibo support?) and SSB U/3DS. On one hand, I really want those games and like the idea of leveling up a particular character, plus I'm a bit of a sucker for shelf figures. Also wish that I could have picked these up before all of this nonsense took place.

On the other hand, I'm glad I'm not having to feel compelled or getting frustrated in not finding particular figures for collection purposes. RNG in Destiny is more than enough for me :p

I think I'll still check some Walmarts in the local area though on release day to maybe make this my first/gateway Amiibo. Given the massive graveyard that I see at Best Buys though..I'm not that confident.

Darknight

Lol Amiibo bubble gonna burst in a year then i can buy them all for $2 a piece.

Funny how nintendo comes up with cool ideas then fucks up the entire execution of selling it.

I kinda want to collect some of these just to have around. Are these expected to remain rare/high selling once sold out? If you know what you are saying then Im gonna wait till I get around to it namely for a DK,Zelda and Yoshi.

Kusagari

I refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. NoA knows damn well what they're doing it and it's genius.

seady

Also, they're toys. You're supposed to play with them.

Not that much you can do with them anyway. As a physical toy their limbs can't even move.

I wish they do more than just saves or unlock a skin in game. Just a physical way of selling DLC.

Nintendo is smart for making artificial shortage. If they are readily available, I don't think many people will buy them. Many figures such as Wii Fit Trainer no one will even care if they are not rare.

I don't think the Wii shipments were purposely withheld to drive up demand

They most certainly were not. The Wii shipped and sold more units in its first ~30 months, something like that, than any console in history. Other companies might have reacted to the level of demand more quickly than Nintendo did, but anyone who thinks they were masterminding the whole thing with planned shortages is...let's say "uninformed".

I don't know about this Amiibo thing, though. It's easy to look at the situation and think Nintendo is carefully calculating the production numbers to make them rare and keep interest high, but I have a hard time picturing the often incompetent Nintendo being able to pull that off. People are giving Nintendo way too much credit.

I think it's more likely that it's just their usual combination of conservative projections and stubbornness; they under-project and refuse to revise the numbers when demand is high.

CHC

Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank with this. They know how to create all this demand.

Well apparently the bank they're laughing all the way to is the Idiot Bank, because they don't see any of the enormous profits that scalpers make. A tiny supply is just as bad for the supplier as the consumer. I'm sure they must be happy to see all their stock sell out so fast, but when only a small percentage of the money circulating in the "Amiibo market" actually reaches Nintendo, that's a problem.

They could easily double or quadruple the supply of limited edition 3DSs and Amiibos and they would still sell out of them.

spookyfish

I don't think the Wii shipments were purposely withheld to drive up demand

Of course they weren't.

Do people really think NoA execs were high-fiving and slapping each other on the backs because Wiis were either unavailable or selling for more on eBay?

This line of thought just confounds me.

And IF Nintendo were doing that, they wouldn't have done it for 2 years. Maybe over the initial Christmas season, but not after that.

Clefargle

My dad used to collect Hot Wheels, thousands of them, and would drag my brother and I to conventions where he hunted down the rarest cars, the "Treasure Hunts".

All the stupidity surrounding Amiibos reminds me of that.

My dad did this too. He has thousands of cars MIB in giant crates down in our basement. Some years, he got every treasure hunt car for that year. I like them, but I have no idea what they're worth.

Fox Mulder

NoA is the absolute worst and releasing an adequate supply of inventory.

The Wii was super popular and wiped out all the stock they could make early on. Now the wiiu is selling like shit and they have to make less of everything.

The amiibos may be popular, but they're still only for a poorly selling console and a 3ds revision no one has.

Ashler

Cheeky stuff Walmart...

I have the Golden Amiibo with in-stock alert set. So today I get an email from Walmart "recomending" me a can of Metallic Spray Paint 8oz-18 Karat Gold.

Either they're getting a lot of people ordering Amiibo's together with that can of paint, or they're just sticking in the knife as far as they can... !

Top Bottom