• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gold Mario Amiibo sold out in 15 min, on Ebay for $199

RGamer2009

Neo Member
1st wave, I am at work so no dice.

Then I go to take a shower only for the Gold Amiibo to come back AND be sold out again in the span of the shower.

This just isn't my day, huh?

How crazy. Did they have a limit per customer?

The only one I've ever been interested in was Toon Link, thinking it'd do something for the new Zelda. I haven't bought it yet and haven't really looked but could I walk into a store and get one?

The only one I've ever been interested in was Toon Link, thinking it'd do something for the new Zelda. I haven't bought it yet and haven't really looked but could I walk into a store and get one?

Im not an Amiibo expert, but I've seen Toon Link everywhere.

I'm sorry but I don't understand the hype behind Amiibo to the point where they are going $75+ on Ebay(if their actually selling it). That's ridiculous.

CompC

I managed to preorder one and I don't even really want it...

But I just happened to see it available so I went for it.

zulux21

1st wave, I am at work so no dice.

Then I go to take a shower only for the Gold Amiibo to come back AND be sold out again in the span of the shower.

This just isn't my day, huh?
nope, I tried helping this time as I spotted posts that it was up early on. hopefully there is a third wave and you get in on that one.

merely a limit of 2 per order, unlikely there is an overall limit.

ys45

Why is the first thing I thought about is the president of Nintendo overlooking the city from his building with an evil laughter ?
Sorry could not find a proper GIF/image for that (at work) .

But seriously Nintendo is evil .

jediyoshi

It's gonna be funny when the Amiibo bubble bursts.

I'm not even sure what this means. They roll out new characters in waves and then leave the old ones behind. It's going to be a good chunk of time before the entire thing rolls back over to the start. Even then, judging by their comments, they seem more interested in either continuing existing characters in new variations or replicating the functionality through cards instead of figures.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'm sorry but I don't understand the hype behind Amiibo to the point where they are going $75+ on Ebay(if their actually selling it). That's ridiculous.

I don't understand the hype either. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars for plastic collectible toys. I always knew the States had a huge Nintendo bias, but the lengths people are going to to get these is astonishing.

jediyoshi

I don't understand the hype either. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars for plastic collectible toys. I always knew the States had a huge Nintendo bias, but the lengths people are going to to get these is astonishing.

Have you never taken 2 seconds to look up any other collector's market that's ever existed? When people collect stamps or trading cards, do you think it's because the materials that make up the items have value as opposed to what they stand for?

People are making a 1000-1500% ROI. Regardless of whether you agree with it or not, it's impressive nonetheless. Low-risk investment with high gains.

Free market baby!

Rootbeer

Banned
Got to hand it to Nintendo they got themselves a "Beanie Baby" craze on their hands.

I want to agree, and I partially do, since when I hit up Toys R Us I often see people browsing the amiibo and occasionally I'll even hear kids with their parents ASKING to buy amiibo which breaks my brain because I thought Nintendo wasn't an "in" thing with kids these days.

It's awesome to see them finally seeming to build their mindshare up with that demographic when it feels like it's been on nothing but a decline since the N64 days.

On the other hand, I think stock shortages are a really huge factor in all of this, it's driving the craze, sure, but it's not like stores are getting hundreds and selling out. They are getting a dozen here and there and selling out, big difference.

Good luck to the people (scumbags) who are making $100-200 on these Amiibos on eBay and spending that money willy-nilly right after.

Scalper garbage like this has a high risk of getting charged back, and they WILL get bit 6 months down the road. People are going to be bitching to PayPal that these things were defective/didn't get delivered/whatever and they will get their money back.

Kenai

I am totally for people complaining about the lack of stock for the niche characters. I want a second Ike so bad but it's so annoying to find one. I have yet to pay more than retailer price for any of mine and don't intend to start.

Even if people were smart and preordered them way ahead of time for Nintendo to better gauge demand I'm not sure Nintendo would have made enough of the rare ones. I really hope that Nintendo reprints more than just Marth. Even announcing that they will reprint them would deter a lot of scalpers which would rock, but they don't. NoA has been super duper incompetent for awhile now I feel.

But limited edition Gold Mario? Meh. This is the type of thing that I'm used to seeing companies do for every product under the sun that collectors have ever wanted, and normal Mario is super duper common and (from what I can tell) has the same functionality. It really fits the "Stacy with New Hat" picture pretty good.

Draxal

I am totally for people complaining about the lack of stock for the niche characters. I want a second Ike so bad but it's so annoying to find one. I have yet to pay more than retailer price for any of mine and don't intend to start.

Even if people were smart and preordered them way ahead of time for Nintendo to better gauge demand I'm not sure Nintendo would have made enough of the rare ones. I really hope that Nintendo reprints more than just Marth. Even announcing that they will reprint them would deter a lot of scalpers which would rock, but they don't. NoA has been super duper incompetent for awhile now I feel.

But limited edition Gold Mario? Meh. This is the type of thing that I'm used to seeing companies do for every product under the sun that collectors have ever wanted, and normal Mario is super duper common and (from what I can tell) has the same functionality. It really fits the "Stacy with New Hat" picture pretty good.

Smash Brothers Mario is common, but Super Mario Mario is only bundled with Mario Party 10 in the US.

But yeah, this is how chase models should be, they shouldn't be Rosalinas.

Exactly.

I love Amiibos and have most of them but that thing is hideous. It is an eyesore.
Actually no. It looks B-A-L-L-E-R literally. Look at that shiny ass mario O_O

abg3jU7.png

Can't help but wonder if I should be buying some of these to sell later. I see Amiibos all over the place, but I pretty much assume that the ones I see are the worthless ones.

Kenai

Smash Brothers Mario is common, but Super Mario Mario is only bundled with Mario Party 10 in the US.

But yeah, this is how chase models should be, they shouldn't be Rosalinas.

Yea, I am totally cool with variants of the same character. They do that with everything from comic books to Game of Thrones novels to American Girl/MLP dolls to (yes) Disney Infinity and Skylanders. Some of those, like this one apparently, are quite rare and will go for a lot of money to collectors, despite the content/functionality being exactly the same (and I am pretty sure it is here too).

Rosalina, Shulk, FE characters, Villager, THAT type of thing is what I do not like. It's one thing to be blindsided by popularity, it's another thing to not comment about it and leave people guessing, or not release Wave 3 at the same time but in spurts (why the hell did they have waves within waves? God damnit)

Kenai

There are 32 Buy It Nows available for less than $70, so no this isn't selling for $199.

It actually might someday. It all depends on how many they make.

This is kind of interesting to me because unlike the "you can't find this character at all" clusterf*ck, this is an actual variant, an actual limited edition that was labeled as such but having nothing over the super-common Mario beyond vanity purposes.

It will be "fun" to see how much people are willing to consistently pay for one.

magnumpy

they must have bought them for resale. they just have to sit on these for ~30 years and sell them for double or triple the $200. so they're looking at like $400 pure profit.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Why are people blaming Nintendo? Blame the scalpers. Even with a one per person limit there will always be people buying and putting it directly on eBay. Nature of the game when it comes to collectables and no matter how many Nintendo prints it will still be the case.

TheGrue

The number of real figures you could buy for that money...

Well, I guess in the U.S. you could buy a bunch of Peaches and Links, but for the characters people want, you could have a million dollars and not buy any because there's not enough supply.

Top Bottom