• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gold Mario Amiibo sold out in 15 min, on Ebay for $199

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Nintendo's policy on this stuff (aka limited releases) makes perfect financial sense.

They're not leaving any money on the table by not producing enough of one particular sku, they're supplanting that demand with other, new Amiibos.

When you constantly change the sku and keep them limited, you're selling constantly. It's easy for them to manufacture new skus because they're cheap plastic statues.

They'll then leverage the demand by packing in limited one off figures alongside their software to help gain extra sales there as well.

They're not looking to make customers happy or to sate demand, they're creating a near constant revenue stream by keeping their fans on the hook.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This is exactly the type of thing I was talking about where constant limited supply leads to loosing mass demand. I'm seeing more and more people just give up on amiibo completely

This is exactly the type of thing I was talking about where constant limited supply leads to loosing mass demand. I'm seeing more and more people just give up on amiibo completely

I totally agree. I'd buy more amiibos if they were ever actually in-stock but the process of finding the ones I want is just expensive and dumb. I've been nothing but disappointed with Nintendo this year really, as pretty much every cool thing they've put out (all the Majora's Mask LE stuff, amiibos, etc.) have sold out in minutes and just become impossible to find.

Gartooth

I can't conceive why someone would pay those ridiculous prices for one Amiibo. The fact that it is just a repainted Mario makes it hilarious.

neoemonk

I got out of the Amiibo game after spending a day driving around in a snowstorm trying to get a Rosalina.

If it's on the shelves when I'm at the store I'll snag one but forget all this low inventory hunting around and eBay scalping nonsense.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
BiN's are generally not a good metric for gauging an item's worth. I'd be more interested in seeing what the auctions go for.

I can't conceive why someone would pay those ridiculous prices for one Amiibo. The fact that it is just a repainted Mario makes it hilarious.
Rich CEOs that happen to be Nintendo fans and amiibo collectors? Only reasonable circumstance that I could see someone getting one of these.

Theandrin

I might be in the minority here, but this is one of the first Amiibos that I have no interest in trying to collect. I still think its horrible that they sold out this quickly, but I won't be plopping down the $200 to get one.

AdanVC

This is so gross... I don't know what to say. Why you doing this NoA? Exclusives and literally only like 100 figures available wich 80 of them are taken by scalpers already. Amiibo is the best thing has happened to Nintendo since Wii. BUT for customers... This is the worst. At least with Wii you could find it anywhere...

I might be in the minority here, but this is one of the first Amiibos that I have no interest in trying to collect. I still think its horrible that they sold out this quickly, but I won't be plopping down the $200 to get one.

Nah, you're not alone.

I and many others have no interest in a gold figure.

I mean, many people probably do but then again, they probably race as Pink Gold Peach or Metal Mario in Kart.

Valnen

Nintendo is going too far with their amiibo trick.

Next they will announce a crystal Mario amiibo with only 10 available through the world.

Yeah, amiibo has assured I will never buy a Wii U for Nintendo games. I may buy one far in the future for Platinum's games, but fuck DLC that can sell out.

Einbroch

Banned
This is so gross... I don't know what to say. Why you doing this NoA? Exclusives and literally only like 100 figures available wich 80 of them are taken by scalpers already. Amiibo is the best thing has happened to Nintendo since Wii. BUT for customers... This is worse. At least with Wii you could find it anywhere...

The biggest difference in the Wii is that you knew you'd eventually be able to get one. Amiibos are limited. Once they stop printing them, that's it.

It's a way, way worse situation.

KarmaCow

They're going to sell out.

Thats why.

If they know that rare Amiibo will sell out immediately and people will pay hundreds, why not just skip the middle man with these scalpers? Is it just to satiate Walmart? As is, this is just another Amiibo, but even more limited because reasons.

MrDaravon

Yup. All but one of my friends has completely given up, and both of us are just importing most/all of them because its actually easier and less stressful...which is insane.

I'm just perversely enjoying the train wreck now.

donny2112

It's gonna be funny when the Amiibo bubble bursts.

It's going to be a relief when the Amiibo bubble bursts. Imagine: Actually walking into a store and buying the Amiibo character you really want, even though it's not from a popular Nintendo series, and it's not worth posting on reddit about. Amazing. I want to live in that future.

Looks like Wal-Mart was not successful in stopping these guys from getting their hands on 8 or more of these.

50 for one guy, apparently.

Does Wal-Mart limit the amount of preorders per customer?

2 per account, apparently, but people jumped in and ordered from tons of accounts to get more.

I knew I should have grabbed one and scalped it for profitz

Curse my moral compass preventing me from getting rich on gold plastic!

Bass260

Nintendo could produce an abundant amount and scalpers would still buy 99 each. Blame scalpers and the people that support that market.

akileese

I refuse to deal with Walmart for preorders so I'm skipping the Mario line entirely. It's just not worth it. I'll keep going with wave 4 of SSB but honestly, I damn well may be done after that.

Liberty4all

Banned
How much is the Trinity from wave 1 going for now? I got $281 US for those 3 and then got out of Amiibo's altogether aside from non limited stuff.

Vena

50 for one guy, apparently.

At that point, I don't think stock is a matter of "not enough", even if the pre-orders were for thousands upon thousands of them, all it would take is for some scalpers + a few genuine buyers to buy up everything. Just look at the idiocy with Rosalina where one idiot bought up thousands of dollars of Rosalinas.

There's a fine line between "Nintendo supplied 100 Marths to the continental US" and "scalpers hoarded hundreds of amiibo figures through broken retailer online order chains".

There's also the idiocy of paying hundreds of dollars for a colored Mario.

How much is the Trinity from wave 1 going for now? I got $281 US for those 3 and then got out of Amiibo's altogether aside from non limited stuff.

Marth is getting reprinted, and people learned that they can order from other places for less than ebay scalping prices.

Hugstable

Banned
Nintendo of America does not give a single fuck about it's customers.

This is fact.

I used to not think like this and was a huge Nintendo fan.

I now 100% believe this. Amiibos are literally making me hate the company that created the characters of which I want to buy. God dammit

Grylvak

I'm really upset for the people that really want this amiibo, and can't get it because of scalpers. I wish all of my fellow amiibo collectors the best of luck in getting this. :(

Still no word on the Silver Mario then?

These eBay auctions are for pre-orders, right? So what happens when Wal-mart starts cancelling pre-orders? Hasn't that happened a lot with Amiibos? It could get messy.

Renewed

The thing is: You can stop. Unless these Super Mario amiibo (and Gold Mario) offer something different in terms of functionality, there's no other point for going through the heartache other than wanting to "catch them all."

For me, getting Wave 3 all together was my wake-up call to why I was getting these. Funny enough, I had to go to the cardiologist because they thought something was up with my heart but it was nothing. Amiibos man.

Top Bottom