• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Globe Award nominations being announced now

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Best Drama nom for Gone Girl is a good thing, as the Director category is a fairly more accurate prediction the Best Pic noms at the Oscars. Remember that films like American Gangster and Revolutionary Road got Best Drama noms yet NOTHING at the Oscars except an acting and a technical nom. Gone Girl is now on the same position as films like The Fugitive, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Letters from Iwo Jima. Films that got a directing nom and no Best Drama at the globes, yet those films made it into the Best Picture race at the Oscars (and in a year of 5!)

No INTERSTELLAR makes me happy, such an overrated movie :)

You and me both, brother.

Cerberus

I feel like the controversy over the faithfulness to the events depicted by The Imitation Game are going to prevent it from winning anything major. Harvey Weinstein is going to try as hard as he can to overcome that, but we're only a couple of years removed from a surefire winner like Zero Dark Thirty getting completely derailed after the allegations about its authenticity came out.

I just think it won't win because Morten Tyldum is barely a threat in the Best Director category. Plus there's that other period drama about a British genius. I forgot to mention The Theory of Everything in my previous post, but that's probably a lock for a BP nom too.

I really shouldn't say it's out of the race though, because it is backed by Weinstein and it's a World War II biopic.

Ridley327

No Best Drama nom for Gone Girl is a good thing, as the Director category is a fairly more accurate prediction the Best Pic noms at the Oscars. Remember that films like American Gangster and Revolutionary Road got Best Drama noms yet NOTHING at the Oscars except an acting and a technical nom. Gone Girl is now on the same position as films like The Fugitive, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Letters from Iwo Jima. Films that got a directing nom and no Best Drama at the globes, yet those films made it into the Best Picture race at the Oscars (and in a year of 5!)

You and me both, brother.

I think that Gone Girl also has an advantage in the Academy being big fans of Fincher in general, which is surprising as he's not really an Academy-friendly kind of director.

Ridley327

I just think it won't win because Morten Tyldum is barely a threat in the Best Director category. Plus there's that other period drama about a British genius. I forgot to mention The Theory of Everything in my previous post, but that's probably a lock for a BP nom too.

I really shouldn't say it's out of the race though, because it is backed by Weinstein and it's a World War II biopic.

I don't think it's out of the race, either, as it's Harvey's big prestige film this year, and that guarantees he'll put everything he has into it, even if he has to resort to old tricks, like making the competition look bad. It probably won't work, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't try.

I think that Gone Girl also has an advantage in the Academy being big fans of Fincher in general, which is surprising as he's not really an Academy-friendly kind of director.

The gave fucking Girl with the Dragon Tattoo an Editing Oscar! The last time that happened was in 1968 when Bullitt won Film Editing and nothing more. Editing is usually tied to Directing, Picture, or at least a couple of technicals. They admire the guy quite a lot even if people can argue they don't because of him losing for The Social Network, but you need to go back for people like Marty, Spielberg and even the Coens. It took decades for them to win Best Director Oscar.

I don't think it's out of the race, either, as it's Harvey's big prestige film this year, and that guarantees he'll put everything he has into it, even if he has to resort to old tricks, like making the competition look bad. It probably won't work, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't try.

Weinstein has always the advantage if he has a "feel good" film on the race against a more dark, powerful contender (see TSN vs King's Speech, for example) This year Boyhood is the feel-good movie and luckily is a great fucking movie as well. The only reason Imitation Game is a contender is because of Telluride and well, because is Weinstein. Race is locked to Boyhood - Selma - Birdman, if you ask me.

cLOUDo

no love for whiplash ?
i'm surprised

still glad that we don't see BBT,modern family and the other crap we see in the emmys

Trance

2014 has been a great year for film (and TV is going strong), but in my opinion, you'd hardly know it looking at the Globes. It's not that they nominated shit, but that so much good has been left out in place of the mediocre -- even judging by general acclaim beyond my personal opinion.

Drama - Happy to see Selma getting noticed based on what I've heard about it (may eat my words upon seeing it myself). Disappointed that Whiplash and Gone Girl got no love in place of one safe mediocre biopic and another slightly more interesting biopic. Based on the nominees I'm rooting for Boyhood despite not having seen it yet. Haven't seen a lot of the best actress roles, but Rosamund Pike's is one of my favorite performances ever right now. The buzz is that Julianne Moore is a lock, though. Gyllenhaal's Nightcrawler role is what I like, but I imagine one of the biopics will take this one. In the Oscars, the frontrunner will be Michael Keaton. Chastain has some supporting role buzz, but for actor I'm really pulling for J.K. Simmons.

Comedy - I really disliked everything about Birdman that doesn't fit into a "technical" category, but I'm sure it'll win. Still need to watch Budapest, I can't tell what caliber of movie Into The Woods is supposed to be, and haven't seen the other two. Michael Keaton feels like a lock, and I have no idea what even constitutes "comedy/musical" anymore.

Director - I really hope this is Linklater's to lose. Love that Fincher was nominated, and I could maybe put away my personal distaste for Gonzalez and acknowledge he belongs here. I may end up loving Selma, but I can't say anything about Duvernay yet.

Screenplay - Always the award I'm most interested in, and boy do I hate Birdman's nomination. Personally would prefer Gone Girl to win (having read the book, I think she does a wonderful job adapting her own story), but Boyhood's structure has me rooting for it as well.

TV Drama - Apparently it stopped being cool to love Mad Men some years ago, despite it being consistently top notch. It is a crime to ignore The Americans so much. Glad Fargo and True Detective got in on the miniseries. It's kind of awesome that Frances McDormand is going up against Allison Tolman who is nominated for a role based off of McDormand's Oscar winner 18 years ago.

TV Comedy - Love Veep, I hear Transparent is amazing.

Music - Given what's nominated, might actually root for Birdman here.

Animated - The only part of all this that genuinely annoys me. I know it completely flew under the radar, but The Tale of Princess Kaguya is tied for my favorite movie of the year. Of course it's nowhere to be found. I hope LEGO Movie wins.

I have not a clue why I cared enough to write this up.

ivysaur12

Banned
While I'm bummed Brooklyn 99 didn't get nominated again, I'm so excited that Jane the Virgin and Transaprent did.

Though, whether or not you think Transparent is a "comedy" or in the same genre as even Jane is a different discussion, I suppose.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
No INTERSTELLAR makes me happy, such an overrated movie :)

Clive Owen has to win anyway

http://images.techtimes.com/data/images/full/13882/attheknick_glances-gif.gif?w=600[IMG]

[U]The Knick is a masterpiece[/U][/QUOTE]
I still find hard to believe somebody acknowledged it. Owen's performance in The Knick is out of this world.

Also, Eva Green got [I][B][U]ROBBED[/U][/B][/I].

[img]http://i.imgur.com/3vmPDYH.gif

On the Golden Globes site, the nominees are not listed in alphabetical order. It looks like they're listed in order of most likely to win.

http://www.goldenglobes.com/2015_72nd_Golden_Globes_Nominees

They're probably ranked by total amount of votes. The names listed first in each category are really strong contenders. I have no idea if the HFPA votes again after announcing the nominees.

If that's the case, I'm totally ok with those results, except that Grand Budapest Hotel deserves to win.

ivysaur12

Banned
*Ctrl+F Tatiana Maslany*

Yep. Just as I thought.

Critical consensus for season 2 was a lot more mixed than season 1, and that hurts more than anything not. Not surprised she wasn't nominated -- she wasn't in a very good season of TV and the show already has only like 5 viewers.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Critical consensus for season 2 was a lot more mixed than season 1, and that hurts more than anything not. Not surprised she wasn't nominated -- she wasn't in a very good season of TV and the show already has only like 5 viewers.

Yeah, I think the drop in quality of S2 may have taken some toll on her chances if she ever had any. With that said, her performace during the rehab scenes had Inception-levels of layering. Eva Green's snubbing probably hurts me the most.

Tactics18

Best Original Score

Alexandre Desplat, “The Imitation Game”
Johann Johannsson, “The Theory of Everything”
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, “Gone Girl”
Antonio Sanchez, “Birdman”
Hans Zimmer, “Interstellar”

I hope Reznor and Ross won't get it. Zimmer has a real chance I think

dmshaposv

Im sure birdman was purposefully placed by the studios on the comedy category for an easy win. It always harder competition in the drama category.

Anyway psyched to see birdman at the dubai film festival this sunday!

From the awards stuff ive only seen boyhood and interstellar. With birdman it'll be 3 movies and quite a few more to go for my oscar watch 2015.

xbhaskarx

Best Actor, Television Movie or Mini-series
Martin Freeman, “Fargo”
Woody Harrelson, “True Detective”
Matthew McConaughey, “True Detective”
Mark Ruffalo, “The Normal Heart”
Billy Bob Thornton, “Fargo”

That's going to be tough but I think the McConaissance will continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom