• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Globe Award nominations being announced now

Status
Not open for further replies.
For The Blacklist? Isn't it the most DVR'd show, and didn't Netflix just pay for $2 million per episode?

On Topic: Wow this is the first year where I have never seen any of these movies...or heard really of these movies.

People watch it just for him - he's the only good actor on the show and the scripts more often then not are rubbish.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Am I wrong to think House of Cards should be pushed out for much better dramas?

Also Birdman is a musical/comedy? Not the Birdman I saw.

Best Series, Comedy

“Girls” (HBO)
“Jane the Virgin” (CW)
“Orange Is the New Black” (Netflix)

“Silicon Valley” (HBO)
“Transparent” (Amazon)

Any of the bolded could win and I would be okay with it. HBO has been kind of disappointing to me as of late.

Also, Viola better take it if only for the wig removal.

annalise-wig-how-to-get-away-with-murder.gif

The Golden Globes punted on the Birdman vs. Boyhood debate.

At this point, it's clear that one of those two films is probably going to win the Oscar.I guess the GG just wanted to hedge their bets and not look bad if they choose the one that didn't win...

FTF

At this point, it's clear that one of those two films is probably going to win the Oscar.I guess the GG just wanted to hedge their bets and look bad if they choose the one that didn't win...

It'll be interesting if either doesn't win a GG.

Pryce

“The Affair” (Showtime)

“Downton Abbey” (PBS)
“Game of Thrones” (HBO)

“The Good Wife” (CBS)
“House of Cards” (Netflix)

there's a very good argument here that none of these dramas were the best 5 dramas last season.

stay stupid, globes.

Cerberus

At this point, it's clear that one of those two films is probably going to win the Oscar.I guess the GG just wanted to hedge their bets and look bad if they choose the one that didn't win...

I think the Oscar race is between Boyhood and Selma. Birdman is the dark horse. The Imitation Game is the other lock for a BP nomination, but I don't see that winning.

there's a very good argument here that none of these dramas were the best 5 dramas last season.

stay stupid, globes.

And while we're at it, can anyone please explain to me, like I'm five - what is with the constant nominations for Downton Abbey? Is it really still that good? No television critics seem to mention it in their best-of-the-year list and it somehow is always contending for major awards. I don't get it at all.

Tom_Cody

I'm happy to see Gone Girl get the nominations that it did. I was rooting for it to get a Best Picture nomination, but I guess the field is pretty crowded.

What happened to B99? It won last year and now its gone. The comedy series category is pretty awful in general. Aside from Orange is the New Black which isn't even a fucking comedy. On the movie side I'm kind of surprised at the snubs for Unbroken. Figured Jolie would be a huge threat.
I was curious about this one as well. It had been discussed as an awards season contender but I have no idea how go it actually is.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

stay stupid, globes.

The Affair has been fantastic. Probably the best new drama this year, if you ask me.

And while we're at it, can anyone please explain to me, like I'm five - what is with the constant nominations for Downton Abbey? Is it really still that good? No television critics seem to mention it in their best-of-the-year list and it somehow is always contending for major awards. I don't get it at all.

Hollywood Foreign Press Association + British show run by Julian Fellowes = consistent award noms. It hasn't been good for a few seasons, but I think the circumstances around the show are what keep it being nominated.

The Affair has been fantastic. Probably the best new drama this year, if you ask me.

100% agree.

Catdaddy

Best Performance By An Actor In A Mini-Series Or Motion Picture Made For Television
Martin Freeman: Fargo
Woody Harrelson: True Detective
Matthew Mcconaughey : True Detective
Mark Ruffalo: The Normal Heart
Billy Bob Thornton: Fargo

Damn, wish they could have a 4 way tie... Fargo and TD were such good shows.

Choomp

Banned
What the fuck Big Eyes came out?! How did I not know?

Good to see Boyhood's up there, thought it'd get lost in the late year films. Don't really care for the Globes anymore, more of and Oscars guy.

Also I need to see Birdman. Jesus why can't I find the time

Cerberus

I'm happy to see Gone Girl get the nominations that it did. I was rooting for it to get a Best Picture nomination, but I guess the field is pretty crowded.

I was curious about this one as well. It had been discussed as an awards season contender but I have no idea how go it actually is.

Unbroken is currently sitting at 55% on RT (20 reviews) and 59 on Metacritic (11 reviews). It's not doing well critically so far, but it's something the Academy might like.

Ridley327

I think the Oscar race is between Boyhood and Selma. Birdman is the dark horse. The Imitation Game is the other lock for a BP nomination, but I don't see that winning.

I feel like the controversy over the faithfulness to the events depicted by The Imitation Game are going to prevent it from winning anything major. Harvey Weinstein is going to try as hard as he can to overcome that, but we're only a couple of years removed from a surefire winner like Zero Dark Thirty getting completely derailed after the allegations about its authenticity came out.

Ridley327

What the fuck Big Eyes came out?! How did I not know?

Good to see Boyhood's up there, thought it'd get lost in the late year films. Don't really care for the Globes anymore, more of and Oscars guy.

Also I need to see Birdman. Jesus why can't I find the time

Big Eyes isn't "out" yet, but critics have already seen it.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I'm mad The Drop didn't get any love. Tom Hardy gave the performance of a lifetime in that and Gandolfini wasn't far behind. It got ignored in marketing so I wasn't expecting much, but still.

How is Downton Abbey still getting nominations?

Also, I'm shocked Into the Woods was nominated for a few. Doesn't seen like a movie that would get award buzz.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
What movies do you want there instead? Or are you just saying it's a bad year overall?
I think Gone Girl and The Drop were the two best movies I've seen so far this year. Neither got a nomination, but I do think it's a down year anyways.

Ridley327

I'm mad The Drop didn't get any love. Tom Hardy gave the performance of a lifetime in that and Gandolfini wasn't far behind. It got ignored in marketing so I wasn't expecting much, but still.

I don't know if it's the kind of film that would necessarily get lots of awards love, but I do agree that Fox Searchlight never seemed to have a lot of confidence in it. The theater I saw it at had it for all of a week before getting pulled, and there was only one other guy in there when I saw it. You'd think that a film that boasts the last James Gandolfini performance we'll ever see would have gotten a bit more of an advertising push.

T.O.P

Banned
No INTERSTELLAR makes me happy, such an overrated movie :)

Clive Owen has to win anyway

attheknick_glances-gif.gif

The Knick is a masterpiece

FTF

I think Gone Girl and The Drop were the two best movies I've seen so far this year. Neither got a nomination, but I do think it's a down year anyways.

I agree with Gone Girl, it's my favorite movie of the year so far. I enjoyed The Drop as well, but I understand that being left off.

FTF

As I mentioned, there's no love for Interstellar at all. I imagine that Paramount doesn't see much hope for it for awards this point, which is why they've apparently doubled down on their Boyhood deal with IFC, as that's been getting lots of love so far.

It'll get plenty of technical Oscar noms, maybe best score, and a slight chance of a bp nom since there can be up to 10 films now (but I doubt the bp nom).

Ridley327

It'll get plenty of technical Oscar noms, maybe best score, and a slight chance of a bp nom since there can be up to 10 films now (but I doubt the bp nom).

Yeah, I think that it'll sweep for nominations in the technical categories, and win most of them. But the Globes don't even pretend to give a shit about that stuff, so we're left with a film whose chances are slipping further and further away in major category contention.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

It used to be great.

Dany

Banned
how in hell is downton abbey still being nominated.

god damn it.

these award shows are the worst yet i care so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom