• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[golem.de with Shawn Layden] Sony bets on real PS 5 instead of console revolution

napata

Adding to this, Volta is 15TF and that's not even on 7nm nor is it the Ti (I think) version.
AMD will most likely jump to 17+TF because they will be using 7nm with the gains to boot, this all in 2018.
Do the math of what 7nm/7nm EUV brings from the image I linked in one of my previous post and you have an idea about 2020.
As long as Navi isn't another RX480/580 situation and AMD keep pushing forward computational wise 16TF might not be far off as to what will be in PS5.

In other words 16TF would be low-end by 2020 as they'll be at 20-25TF (that's according to some info I gathered here and there).

If top tier GPUs are 20-25 TF that means a console GPU will be less than half of that. It's been like this since the XB1/PS4. So for a 15 TF console high end GPUs would have to be 30 TF+. I don't even think we'll have that by 2020.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I dont get this.

Just like with PC's over time the minimum requirements go up when new games come out.

They could still do traditional generations. With mid gen refreshes becoming the minimum requirements for next gen. Just going from Watch Dogs 1 to 2 the requirements went up.

I don't think there is value in the baseline going from PS4 to ps4pro. They both have pretty much the same CPU performance which will hold any future Ps5 back too much. That's why I think Ps5 will be a clear break - Ps5 games won't work on PS4 or pro

Lady Gaia

Maybe Sony wants to be left behind again on their own island like with their online service?

Because nobody else is going to stick to the traditional generational model.

Nintendo has just done a complete reset with the Switch. Sony has clearly indicated that they plan on a traditional new generation. So far that's two of the three big players that seem to be staying the course.

Just having backward compatibility isn't moving beyond generations. The Wii played GC games, the Wii U played Wii games, the PS3 played PS1 and, depending on the model. PS2 games. The defining characteristic of the phone-like iterative model is that new devices come out extremely frequently, and apps target enough recent iterations to form a sufficiently large customer base. Apps that only support the most recent version are relatively rare.

Will that happen in the console space? It's far too early to know for certain but there's no real reason to believe it will. Sony has indicated that there will never be a game that runs on the PS4 Pro that doesn't also support the PS4. There will probably never be enough Xbox One X customers to make it worth creating a game that won't run on the S — at least until the next console arrives. That's when we'll know a lot more about how everything will play out.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I mean they can call it what they want, but if it is largely the same architecture and the games are backwards compatible what is the effective difference?

Shin

Banned
If top tier GPUs are 20-25 TF that means a console GPU will be less than half of that. It's been like this since the XB1/PS4. So for a 15 TF console high end GPUs would have to be 30 TF+. I don't even think we'll have that by 2020.

nVidia is already outdoing themselves by going from 12TF Titan Xp to 15TF 1180, there's still Ti and Titan Xv.
I threw the 20-25TF in there to be reasonable as there are mention of a 30TF AMD card, it is possible, I man if nVidia jumps 3TF without a node shrink.
Plus AMD will supposedly jump from 64CU to 128NCU (Navi), that all is too far out IMO and we need more solid info to draw a conclusion.

With PS4 it was a 7850 mod, you had 7970 and 7990 or something like that, with PS4Pro they used the high end card RX480 but downclocked a lot.
So it's not really a Titan vs a 1050 thing IMO, more like a 1070 would be a fair comparison.

Lies, we kinda know which games will be there at launch and/or get a definitive edition/patch.
We know it will have a Ryzen 2 CPU at the very least of which at least 8 cores cuz current 1700 is cheap as hell.
And some other stuff, just gotta look at roadmaps, fab nodes, and all that stuff.
Not everything has to be on paper to get an idea of what will be in it, AMD wins price/performance so that's a lock I'd say.

2018 is Apple it's a semi-custom SoC, though 2019 could be for Sony.
We don't really know anything. Stop Shin.

Eylos

Banned
About the joystick It will be an upgraded dualshock as always or a New design?

Personaly i dont like the touch buton Very few games use It, for me It should be discarded

The led It's cool but If It makes the controller expensive discard it and add a option to turn It off If this remains

Gyroscope i think i used in three games only, infamous,tearaway, batman, but It Was cool, idk If developers Will still use that

Cheap sounds system, discard It, It Was Cool when the PS4 was released, i Was confused as Hell at the First time playing infamous, but It's rather annoying now and superfluous

I dunno what they can add for interesting mechanics, but for the actual controller Thats what i think

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
The question was never "Will there be a PS5?" or even "Will the PS5 just be a half-step?". Anyone thinking about that has wasted a lot of time on nothing.

It has and will always be, and with the next Xbox too: "Will it be backwards compatible with the previous library as well?"

Ravage

I mean they can call it what they want, but if it is largely the same architecture and the games are backwards compatible what is the effective difference?

Backward compatibility is highly likely to happen (thanks to x86) but not forward compatibility. That's essentially a new gen since PS4 can't play PS5 games.

About the joystick It will be an upgraded dualshock as always or a New design?

Personaly i dont like the touch buton Very few games use It, for me It should be discarded

The led It's cool but If It makes the controller expensive discard it and add a option to turn It off If this remains

Gyroscope i think i used in three games only, infamous,tearaway, batman, but It Was cool, idk If developers Will still use that

Cheap sounds system, discard It, It Was Cool when the PS4 was released, i Was confused as Hell at the First time playing infamous, but It's rather annoying now and superfluous

I dunno what they can add for interesting mechanics, but for the actual controller Thats what i think

That'll be interesting to see! Personally I'd love a Dualshock 5 that abandons the damn light bar so my controller will last more than a few hours. I replace the batteries in my Xbox One controller once every two weeks or so vs. charging at least twice a week on my PS4.

The question was never "Will there be a PS5?" or even "Will the PS5 just be a half-step?". Anyone thinking about that has wasted a lot of time on nothing.

It has and will always be, and with the next Xbox too: "Will it be backwards compatible with the previous library as well?"

I'll be interested in seeing Sony's approach and how people react to it honestly. I'm not expecting the eventual PS5 to be leaps and bounds above the PS4 Pro.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Is a nice idea, and all, but most of the AAA games on the platform will end up judging being built for the PS4 as well for the first few years. Especially when the PS4 install base is so high.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
backwards compat adds costs. Id rather have a cheaper and/or more powerful machine with remasters or remakes of the best of last gen.

Those cost don't matter if it makes 20% more people to jump in early into next-gen because they aren't worried that they'll lose access to all their fun games.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
PS3 had backwards compatibility at launch and sold like crap. Later they ditched it and the console made a come back.

PS4 has never supported backwards compatibility and is on track to sell 100m unit before end of life.

Is there any reason to expect back compability from a PS5. I mean, I'd like it, but is there?

Those cost don't matter if it makes 20% more people to jump in early into next-gen because they aren't worried that they'll lose access to all their fun games.

I've never understood why current-gen consoles spontaneously combust the minute you bring a next-gen console into your house... maybe it's something companies hard wire to drive sales of remasters.

Nesther

That'll be interesting to see! Personally I'd love a Dualshock 5 that abandons the damn light bar so my controller will last more than a few hours. I replace the batteries in my Xbox One controller once every two weeks or so vs. charging at least twice a week on my PS4.

I'll be interested in seeing Sony's approach and how people react to it honestly. I'm not expecting the eventual PS5 to be leaps and bounds above the PS4 Pro.

But if they remove the light, PSVR won't work. And it's not the reason for the shitty battery life, the touchpad is.

Shin

Banned
The question was never "Will there be a PS5?" or even "Will the PS5 just be a half-step?".

Cuz it will be called PlayStation 4K, see what I did there staying in the "4" family.

Is a nice idea, and all, but most of the AAA games on the platform will end up judging being built for the PS4 as well for the first few years. Especially when the PS4 install base is so high.

That's how it has always been though, hence why Sony believes in generations as it sets a clear line when to stop with the previous gen and move on.

But if they remove the light, PSVR won't work. And it's not the reason for the shitty battery life, the touchpad is.

Is the touchpad really the primary reason the battery is so crap? I'd appreciate a source on that one. If that's the case I'd rather see the touchpad go away then. Ideally I'd just want the system to ship with a basic controller without either option. Just sell a PSVR compatible controller and/or keep the DS4 on the market and compatible.

mckmas8808

I got ya, and I definitely agree!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this one. Are you saying that consumers/manufacturers didn't view "generations" as a reset of tech and games? Or that traditional generations weren't partially defined by a "hard stop" where games/accessories don't carry over?

We consumers always views generations as this....."the new games only play on the new system". Now it's true that we've had some cross gen games, but a new generation means forward compatibility isn't going to happen (which is good) .

No one ever thought about the accessories side of things.

Falchion

All this PS5 talk has me scared, I definitely want another generation eventually, but not for several years. I feel like we just started hitting our stride with this generation so I don't want to move on again so fast.

It's kind of funny seeing all the people saying they won't buy it if it doesn't have PS4 BC, yet they all bought a PS4 that doesn't have PS3 BC. People are so bad at estimating their future selves' resolve.

Fbh

As long as it's fully compatible with ps4 games I'm ok with that.

If it's another non backwards compatible console with some streaming service to play PS4 games I think I'm ready to move on and just buy one when it's like $200 to play the exclusives.

Eylos

Banned
PS3 had backwards compatibility at launch and sold like crap. Later they ditched it and the console made a come back.

PS4 has never supported backwards compatibility and is on track to sell 100m unit before end of life.

Is there any reason to expect back compability from a PS5. I mean, I'd like it, but is there?

I've never understood why current-gen consoles spontaneously combust the minute you bring a next-gen console into your house... maybe it's something companies hard wire to drive sales of remasters.
PS3 sold bad because It Was 600 dollars at that time, this IS 700 today?

PS2 had it and it Was the king of that gen, and PSP sold better because you could play ps1 games, Vita sold mainly because It Was a PSP OLED machine mostly

mckmas8808

There's a HUGE difference. Games made to run on a console that's 15 TF and 32 GBs of RAM with 1 TB of bandwidth is completely different than a 1.8 TF console and 8 GBs of RAM and 230 GBs of bandwidth.

joe_zazen

The games probably won't be BC as sony has given no indication they are concerned about BC. And having similar arch does not mean much in terms of software interoperability. Osx, Linux, Windows, and Unix are X 86/64.

We consumers always views generations as this....."the new games only play on the new system". Now it's true that we've had some cross gen games, but a new generation means forward compatibility isn't going to happen (which is good) .

No one ever thought about the accessories side of things.

The first part is definitely your opinion, and I respectfully disagree. As for your last statement, that's just silly and false.

Well, I for one am glad that Layden at least indicates that PS5 will be a fresh start with new exclusive games which can exploit the console's power without having to hold back for PS4 SKUs.

That said, I wonder if we'll see the same hard break between both generations as before, or if certain games will be allowed to run on both gens (FC).

Shin

Banned
There's a HUGE difference. Games made to run on a console that's 15 TF and 32 GBs of RAM with 1 TB of bandwidth is completely different than a 1.8 TF console and 8 GBs of RAM and 230 GBs of bandwidth.

Haha, those games would be like running on steroids.
Even if the first wave of games are totally crap, if there's BC people can spend time replaying their old games with higher fidelity, more FPS, etc etc to kill time.
It's understandable that PS4 doesn't have BC with PS3, PS4 > PS5 won't be anything like that exotic architecture of Krazy Ken.
As much as they tend to screw up here and there even Sony isn't stupid enough to kill off BC on PS5, digital is a thing and it makes them more money than retail.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
PS3 sold bad because It Was 600 dollars at that time, this IS 700 today?

PS2 had it and it Was the king of that gen, and PSP sold better because you could play ps1 games, Vita sold mainly because It Was a PSP OLED machine mostly

Point is, that you don't need backwards compatibility to sell well. The PS3 didn't suffer when it abandoned and the PS4 has soared without it. If it can be shown that it doesn't have a significant impact on on the sales potential of a console, then there's no reason that a large corporate would invest in it.

EDIT: Moreover, MS's implementation doesn't appear to have had a significant impact on the on XB1 weaker performance. There's nothing we've seen in the past decade of gaming which suggests that this is a core feature that shifts hardware.

Edit [2]: Moreover, if Nintendo's Switch continues it's current trend towards reasonable success it will only be further proof, particularly when weighed against it's predecessor, which, again, had that backwards compatibility.

You can argue that other factors have lead to the success and downfall in each case and you'd be absolutely right, but that only serves to demonstrate the overall point, that BC isn't the make or breaker that some claim it to be.

I think Sony is probably pretty happy on their island. It's going pretty well for them.

Statements like these are how Nintendo made the Wii U. Traditional generations are dead, even if 1 backwards player has to go kicking and screaming. Or, in this case, likely deceiving.

He also said that there will Never be a game that only runs on PS4 Pro (and not the OG PS4)...

This sucks. They should phase out base model. I hate the idea of playing games designed for a 2011 mobile APU in 2020 but at least we can have a somewhat powerful GPU to make up for things.

MisterR

Statements like these are how Nintendo made the Wii U. Traditional generations are dead, even if 1 backwards player has to go kicking and screaming. Or, in this case, likely deceiving.

Sorry, Generations are not done. No matter what MS PR tells you. There will come a point that games will be made that won't play on an Xbone. Backwards compatibility will likely be a part of future generations, just like it has in the past. Perpetual forward compatibility, not so much.

mckmas8808

The first part is definitely your opinion, and I respectfully disagree. As for your last statement, that's just silly and false.

This is what a console generation change does in clear terms. Burdmayn said it best. It's always been like this.

Well, I for one am glad that Layden at least indicates that PS5 will be a fresh start with new exclusive games which can exploit the console's power without having to hold back for PS4 SKUs.

MisterR

The PS2 and early PS3 were backwards compatible. Were they not new generations? Generations change when new games are made that won't play on old hardware. That isn't going to change. MS will hit the point that an old Xbone won't play the games their new hardware does. At that point it's a new gen, no Matt how they spin it. I feel like these midpoint consoles have confused people as to what generations even are.

Sorry, Generations are not done. No matter what MS PR tells you. There will come a point that games will be made that won't play on an Xbone. Backwards compatibility will likely be a part of future generations, just like it has in the past. Perpetual forward compatibility, not so much.

The traditional generation died the second the PS4 Pro was a gleam in the eye of a hardware designer and Iwata started showing charts about how future videogame ecosystems would work long before the NX found the public eye.

Actions speak much louder than PR's words, and you might want to look into how the APIs and performance profiles work in the pro environment.

Hard resets are done.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, that's also how Switch got made...

I mean there's very little chance that PS5, whatever it is, will have a bulk of games that are also binary compatible and playable on PS4. I don't know what's so deceiving about that. There comes a point when a hardware difference is too large for it to make sense thinking about how it's going to run on a very old hardware, and it may simply not be possible. This doesn't mean however that PS5 won't play PS4 games.

It's going to be interesting what prospect is better received, the sony's reiteration on generational change or MS' evolutionary platform. Finally we may have both main consoles with different proposals.

I don't think backwards compatibility to be a priority for PS5, Sony has already made clear that it is not that important, people buy new consoles for new games.

Also, I'm eager to see how 1X stacks up to PS5. If it is more than a couple of year in the future, I expect 1X to not so behind.

Wereroku

Calling it PS5 would allow them to stop supporting the PS4. I am guessing they will be back compatible but not forward compatible.

I don't know why people think PS5 will have BC, and it will be just free if you own the game on PS4?

Because virtually nobody I know would buy a PS5 if it didn't play PS4 games. The PS4 draught at launch was terrible and I really didn't think of the system as worth it until Destiny a year later.

I passed on buying a launch switch for the same reason, and if the PS5 is also not BC I wouldn't buy it at launch either. I'll just stick to xbox one X for a while, since new games will DEFINITELY run on that and probably 90% close to whatever a non compatible PS5 is. Its not like there is some super new tech that will give 4x the performance at 1/2 the price.

Calm Mind

Tinfoil hat theory: The PS5 lacks backward compatibility to sell you all your favorite games back to you for the 3rd time.

The traditional generation died the second the PS4 Pro was a gleam in the eye of a hardware designer and Iwata started showing charts about how future videogame ecosystems would work long before the NX found the public eye.

Actions speak much louder than PR's words, and you might want to look into how the APIs and performance profiles work in the pro environment.

Hard resets are done.

Gens did not die with Pro .
Also having BC does not mean Gens die .
PS3 had BC with both PS1 and PS2 and it was still a new gen .
Game consoles hardware is not going to come out so fast that they new FC like mobile or PC.

napata

nVidia is already outdoing themselves by going from 12TF Titan Xp to 15TF 1180, there's still Ti and Titan Xv.
I threw the 20-25TF in there to be reasonable as there are mention of a 30TF AMD card, it is possible, I man if nVidia jumps 3TF without a node shrink.
Plus AMD will supposedly jump from 64CU to 128NCU (Navi), that all is too far out IMO and we need more solid info to draw a conclusion.

With PS4 it was a 7850 mod, you had 7970 and 7990 or something like that, with PS4Pro they used the high end card RX480 but downclocked a lot.
So it's not really a Titan vs a 1050 thing IMO, more like a 1070 would be a fair comparison.

I agree that it's a bit too far but you can make some guesses based on earlier patterns.

The 480 is a mid range chip. That why they used the 8 and not the 9. If it was actually a high end card AMD would've had a decrease in performance as the 390x and all the Fury cards are better. AMD just doesn't have a 14nm high end card right now. I think they meant to have VEGA & Polaris release around the same time but VEGA got delayed. That why VEGA is not replacing Polaris and why the 580 exists.

Shin

Banned
Hard resets are done.

The very thing Sony has been insisting to still exists, which is what this article basically reaffirms.
That is what generations are...mid-gen refreshes are an option, they aren't a new gen and they probably won't extend it either it is A option, nothing more, nothing less.

This is what a console generation change does in clear terms. Burdmayn said it best. It's always been like this.

I'm definitely not willing to argue about what console generations can do. I think there are very clear benefits and disadvantages there. I was primarily stating that people do care about accessories being compatible.

I have a bridge I'd like to sell to anyone who thought perpetual forward compatibility would ever be a thing on consoles. As for whether or not traditional generations will be done, that's an argument that will continue until the end of time. People will bend the definition of a console "generation" to fit whatever point they want to make.

Top Bottom