• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story footage and coverage is starting to come in!

ogbg

I only scanned the video because spoilers, but the geese chasing after a sausage roll sounds like it could be British as well. It's one of the two!

Yeah, both ‘shot, mate’ and sausage roll could be either Aussie or British.

69wpm

Played for an hour and got hooked. Love the music, really like the HD rumble that is used to emphasise the dialogue (can be turned off btw). Only played against a few people and won. I’m on a mobile connection so I can’t upload some off-screen footage unfortunately, maybe I’ll post some screenshots later.

Played for an hour and got hooked. Love the music, really like the HD rumble that is used to emphasise the dialogue (can be turned off btw). Only played against a few people and won. I’m on a mobile connection so I can’t upload some off-screen footage unfortunately, maybe I’ll post some screenshots later.

Sounds good, hoping for Some screenshots.
Based on the hour you've played, can you say anything lengthwise?

atr0cious

In the story? Online? Also is the co-op there fleshed out at all?

kAmui-

The eshop description said 1-2 players (IIRC). Do you have any idea where the second player might come in?

69wpm

Sounds good, hoping for Some screenshots.
Based on the hour you've played, can you say anything lengthwise?

In the story? Online? Also is the co-op there fleshed out at all?

The eshop description said 1-2 players (IIRC). Do you have any idea where the second player might come in?

No idea about the length. I started the story mode and played for an hour or so.

The menu has two options (besides settings): Story Mode and Quick Play. The latter seems to have an option for two players. It looks like a mode for people wanting to just play golf quickly.

Haven’t seen anything about co-op so far.

The footage I watched seems neat! I actually kind of miss top-down golfing--the last time I played a top-down golf game was Super Golf on the Game Gear, so I'm real into this.

Re: dialogue font. Seems pretty clear to me that they didn't go with a pixel font because they wanted the ability to be more expressive with the dialogue bubbles, changing the size of the text and even tilting bubbles for effect. You could do all that with a pixel font, but as soon as you start changing the size you've already lost the realistic look unless you actually try to keep the pixel size constant when scaling down, which frankly would look like garbage. Better to go with a stylized vector font that remains readable under a wider variety of conditions.

atr0cious

No idea about the length. I started the story mode and played for an hour or so.

The menu has two options (besides settings): Story Mode and Quick Play. The latter seems to have an option for two players. It looks like a mode for people wanting to just play golf quickly.

Haven’t seen anything about co-op so far.
A little disappointing, but I was having a hard time imagining how coop would work to begin with, same thing with Stardew. Thanks for the info!

Lylo

Honestly, it looks fantastic, i was little sceptical, but after watching that video i no longer have doubts about that game. Can't wait for tomorrow!

zroid

Banned
looks really good, but for some reason I'm having doubts as to whether it's quite up my alley

i'll probably have to wait for reviews and such before deciding

Fireblend

Banned
Nice to finally get some coverage. Haven't watched the video but this might be a day 1 purchase if the first impressions continue to be this positive!

69wpm

Posting some screenshots. Sorry for the short explanations, I’m on the road:

DKvXPaZUMAAUaS9.jpg:large

Love the dialogues, the speech bubbles are nicely animated, grow bigger or smaller; and so does the text. And: HD Rumble makes the speech a bit more accentuated.

Once you level up, you can invest points in different abilities.

Many NPCs have challenges you need to complete to get EXP and money.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
My mindset of "something feels off about this game" is slowly being torn down. It's looking really good! I'll wait to hear more impressions/reviews and more info on the length before committing.

I want this so badly. I've been holding off on Steamworld Dig 2 to not distract from my playing Original Sin 2, but this is going to get purchased the instant its available. I hope I can shoot a golfball into a chimney.

Kaban

Preview footage looks great but man, I’m really not into that soundtrack. Hopefully it gets better throughout the game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Is there any difference in height when putting ?
As this game was like mario golf gbc.

I need some challenge on the putting green.🤔

Oh my god, I don't think sound effects get more satisfying that the golf ball getting chipped-in to the hole. It's going to haunt my dreams until I play the game.

I thought I was the only one. Why even do that?

Because:

Re: dialogue font. Seems pretty clear to me that they didn't go with a pixel font because they wanted the ability to be more expressive with the dialogue bubbles, changing the size of the text and even tilting bubbles for effect. You could do all that with a pixel font, but as soon as you start changing the size you've already lost the realistic look unless you actually try to keep the pixel size constant when scaling down, which frankly would look like garbage. Better to go with a stylized vector font that remains readable under a wider variety of conditions.

I'm not a huge fan of the clash either but now that we know the bubbles animate I understand. It would look like shit if they used sprites for something like that.

zeopower6

The footage I watched seems neat! I actually kind of miss top-down golfing--the last time I played a top-down golf game was Super Golf on the Game Gear, so I'm real into this.

It's still a pretty jarring design decision.

Top Bottom