• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

I think I need to space out my playing of this game. I've been playing it on and off every day and trying to power through each course, but am suddenly finding myself annoyed by some things in the game. Mainly the dialogue is beginning to get exhausting, the inability to restart challenges without quitting the entire story mode and how the difficulty is all over the place in challenges. I'm still really enjoying the game, but def think it works best in 2-3 hour spurts versus marathon sessions.

shaneo632

So do you have to come 1st place in the Wellgrove tournament to progress? I came 3rd or 4th and got "too bad". This could be the end of me.

shaneo632

How come? Ask if you need assistance improving.

I practised my precision aiming and managed to beat Lucky just now, was easier than I was expecting :)

Also I'm a bloody idiot and didn't realise you need to equip your new irons. Been playing with the same ones since the start of the game lmao.

EDIT: I've just got to Tidy Park. Is it safe to keep playing?

I just finished the game. I'm not quite 100%, but I've beaten the story and have no more missions currently in my note pad. I've played 15 hours and this is as much as I'm going to do. I enjoyed the game, but I'm baffled by the overwhelming praise and positivity. It's a good game, but it does not seem anywhere close to a great game.

The golfing is fun. And there's some challenge toward the end of the game. But the mechanics are basic and shallow. I think the golfing is the game's strongest point.

Everything outside of the golfing seemed like a miss to me. It feels like a student project made in RPG Maker. The running around (#beastcast) is stiff and awkward and it's filled with fucktons of glitches and hinderances.
With the exception of the RC car racing spot (where the controls were oddly good),
I thought the non-golfing missions were consistently weak, boring, and awkward. All of the adventure-like stuff was boring and shallow.
(The murder mystery bit made me want to stop playing.)

It's a good, fun, cute game. I'd give it a solid 6.5 or 7.0, if forced to put a number to it. I like it. But I'm super confused by the overwhelming praise.

Raysoul

Fuck I think I encounter a game breaking bug.

At the Tidy park clubhouse,
after giving the book to the old lady, I get out of the clubhouse, and tried getting out at the second vehicle on the left. I got out, but I can't get back in. Can someone confirm if I need to finish things inside the clubhouse?

Fuck I think I encounter a game breaking bug.

At the Tidy park clubhouse,
after giving the book to the old lady, I get out of the clubhouse, and tried getting out at the second vehicle on the left. I got out, but I can't get back in. Can someone confirm if I need to finish things inside the clubhouse?

I may be remembering it incorrectly. But if you're talking about the mystery thing, I believe that there's stuff to do outside the house once you send the old lady to bed.

Raysoul

I may be remembering it incorrectly. But if you're talking about the mystery thing, I believe that there's stuff to do outside the house once you send the old lady to bed.

Yeah, I saw a bunch of people on the greens area. But I'm on the outside part, and cannot go back in. It's not even raining anymore :(

ghibli99

I just finished the game. I'm not quite 100%, but I've beaten the story and have no more missions currently in my note pad. I've played 15 hours and this is as much as I'm going to do. I enjoyed the game, but I'm baffled by the overwhelming praise and positivity. It's a good game, but it does not seem anywhere close to a great game.

The golfing is fun. And there's some challenge toward the end of the game. But the mechanics are basic and shallow. I think the golfing is the game's strongest point.

Everything outside of the golfing seemed like a miss to me. It feels like a student project made in RPG Maker. The running around (#beastcast) is stiff and awkward and it's filled with fucktons of glitches and hinderances.
With the exception of the RC car racing spot (where the controls were oddly good),
I thought the non-golfing missions were consistently weak, boring, and awkward. All of the adventure-like stuff was boring and shallow.

It's a good, fun, cute game. I'd give it a solid 6.5 or 7.0, if forced to put a number to it. I like it. But I'm super confused by the overwhelming praise.
Its aggregate is around an 8/10, and there are a lot of posts from folks who have similar opinions as yours. That's not really "overwhelming praise" (like BOTW, for example), and is about what I'd give it so far (maybe like an 8.5; I'm currently in the beach area). I like it. The golf is fun, the animation is nice, and I find the dialogue to be pretty charming/funny.

ZeroX03

Banned

How many student project RPG Maker games have you actually played?

People want a gold RPG with competent mechanics, a bit of humor and cute visuals. Game has them all. Ticks the boxes. As long as your experience isn’t too bad with glitches - mine has been fine, but Sonic Mania was really bad for me and not others - it’s not hard to see why the game garnered such praise.

There’s also much lower expectations because it’s a $15 indie made by two people.

shaneo632

My only real gripe with the game is how you have to needlessly repeat things. If I fail a quest, don't fucking make me cycle through all that dialogue again. There needs to be a "retry" button that just throws you straight back into it. It seems so archaic.

Robiin

Uhm.. can someone help me with the location of the last of the ten balls for the fish? Is one of them extremely hard to find or what??

I play this game all day everyday. It's an addiction. Lucky for me, my wife got hooked on Yoshi's Wooly World at the same time so it doesn't look bad that I'm playing all day lol

I've finished the second area and now I have to do disc golf to continue the story. Help!! I've no idea how I'm meant to control my throws or anything. Sometimes it seems like the disc follows my stick movements, sometimes it ignores them, sometimes it goes in the opposite direction. Will reread through the earlier posts in case there's any handy tips.

Cerium

I've finished the second area and now I have to do disc golf to continue the story. Help!! I've no idea how I'm meant to control my throws or anything. Sometimes it seems like the disc follows my stick movements, sometimes it ignores them, sometimes it goes in the opposite direction. Will reread through the earlier posts in case there's any handy tips.

This is answered in the FAQ in the OP.

Okamid3n

Finished the game. Some of the mini challenges were challenging, but I literally never lost a match or tournament, not even close. Overall the game was great but way too easy.

Yep, it really is waaay too easy. I just
made it to the pro tour
and to get there, I won the
tidy park tournament
with a score of -12 (I even bogey'd once!). Second place was -4, third place was +4. The post-match interview joked about how third place was an embarrassing 8 points above second place. Well, second place is also an embarrassing 8 points above first place!

Can't believe I'm getting into a game about golf, but here we are. I haven't used my Switch this much since BotW released. Fantastic game. It makes me want to check out Hot Shots Golf as well.

Neiteio

Don't push up and down. Just push left and right.

stinkytick

Neo Member
So regarding the last course, are
all greens in the course supposed to be flat? Because all the pro players were hyping the slopes and during the match with Coach's son all greens were flat.

Now, it may be some kind of "joke" and if so it's pretty funny but as my HD Rumble bugged during that match I'm kinda clueless

Not sure what happened but I noticed all my shots now have a hook to them and I have to adjust the precision hit to be all the way left to make them straight.

Yep, it really is waaay too easy. I just
made it to the pro tour
and to get there, I won the
tidy park tournament
with a score of -12 (I even bogey'd once!). Second place was -4, third place was +4. The post-match interview joked about how third place was an embarrassing 8 points above second place. Well, second place is also an embarrassing 8 points above first place!

Totally. By the end I was getting multiple Albatrosses and Eagles per round and finishing match plays in the minimum of 5 holes every time.

tebunker

Banned
So regarding the last course, are
all greens in the course supposed to be flat? Because all the pro players were hyping the slopes and during the match with Coach's son all greens were flat.

Now, it may be some kind of "joke" and if so it's pretty funny but as my HD Rumble bugged during that match I'm kinda clueless

No for some reason the match play and tourney are completely different. It is a lot harder to putt in the tourney

On Blue Moon Dunes anybody
paid the money to get the wish from the genie
? Worth it? I've got more money than I know what to do with so I might go for it and buy the crazy putter I have still to buy.

Any idea how far through the game I am? I've just done
the murder mystery
. Goddamn that went on for forever.
About 2/3 or 3/4

mindatlarge

As you continue to level and receive points, do not try and put additional points into any of the four stats below "power" if they are maxed out. If you do and they are maxed out, the game does not register that you've maxed them out and simply eats the points.

*edit unless this is intended? I got to thinking as you dump points into a maxed stat, that may reduce the stats taken away as you increase your "power"? No clue, but I'll know soon enough when I level up again.

*edit 2 working as intended. You can bank points into maxed out stats and as you level your "power" up it won't reduce those stats until your extra points are used.

tebunker

Banned
On Blue Moon Dunes anybody
paid the money to get the wish from the genie
? Worth it? I've got more money than I know what to do with so I might go for it and buy the crazy putter I have still to buy.

About 2/3 or 3/4

Yeah I mean you don't have anything to spend on by that point. Do it twice if nothing than for the dialogue

How the hell do I quit mid-course? I'm doing the Hallowed Hills course and got to play through 15 min of gold even if I want to restart after the very first hole. I don't remember when I last saved so I'm wary of just turning it off.

How the hell do I quit mid-course? I'm doing the Hallowed Hills course and got to play through 15 min of gold even if I want to restart after the very first hole. I don't remember when I last saved so I'm wary of just turning it off.
Instead of using a shot press + to get menu and choose To World Map.

Doorman

Not sure what happened but I noticed all my shots now have a hook to them and I have to adjust the precision hit to be all the way left to make them straight.

One of the level-up stats you have affects this, I don't recall the name of it off the top of my head right now but it's the first stat below Power. It affects whether you have a natural draw or fade on your shots, but it doesn't work quite like the other stats where more points means more impact. Having that skill decay with power below the midpoint will give your shots a natural leftward curve, while pushing the bar higher the other way will give your shots a natural right curve. If you want shots to stay straight, you want that stat to remain in the middle, rather than trying to level it up too much.

Top Bottom