• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

kris.

Banned
Man, between this and SteamWorld Dig 2, it's been a good good few days for my Switch. Can't wait to check this out.

moozoom

Looks really fun, but I have too many games to play already.

Only thing I don't like after seing the footage is the UI which is a bit jarring compared to the pixelated visuals, and the font for the speech bubbles which is really ugly.
I'm sure there would have been a way to make the course graphics and UI elements less disparate.

Cerium

First glance impressions:

Wow does this game look beautiful on the Switch screen, to a degree that surprised me. It's gorgeous.

The HD rumble implementation is some of the best I've ever experienced. They use it to emphasize everything from your swing, to the ball falling in water, even to punctuate conversation. You can turn it off if you think it's too much but I'm impressed.

I like the music in context. It sets the mood.

First glance impressions:

Wow does this game look beautiful on the Switch screen, to a degree that surprised me. It's gorgeous.

The HD rumble implementation is some of the best I've ever experienced. They use it to emphasize everything from your swing, to the ball falling in water, even to punctuate conversation. You can turn it off if you think it's too much but I'm impressed.

I like the music in context. It sets the mood.

I haven't really noticed the benefits of HD Rumble. I hope I notice it here.

ZugZug123

😀 This OT is keeping my hopes up on this game. I have so many games to play but if it's like Mario Golf RPG this is day one.

Didn't realize this was coming out so soon!

Footage looks good, though I'm not sure about the music. The general walking around / overworld music is... it's not that it's too chill, but it seems like the "wrong" kind of chill, somehow.

69wpm

Posting some screenshots. Sorry for the short explanations, I’m on the road:

DKvXPaZUMAAUaS9.jpg:large

Love the dialogues, the speech bubbles are nicely animated, grow bigger or smaller; and so does the text. And: HD Rumble makes the speech a bit more accentuated.

Once you level up, you can invest points in different abilities.

Many NPCs have challenges you need to complete to get EXP and money.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm interested in this, but unfortunately I don't like golf games. When's Tennis Story?
I'd kill for this. Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip on PSP is the closest thing I've played. Still excited for Golf Story even if golfing games have never interested me. A ridiculous plot and charming art style are enough to get me into a sports game.

Hasney

I'd kill for this. Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip on PSP is the closest thing I've played. Still excited for Golf Story even if golfing games have never interested me. A ridiculous plot and charming art style are enough to get me into a sports game.

Never played Mario Tennis on GBC or GBA? Get on it!

I've been playing for a little over an hour and I can already say...buy it. It's the Mario Golf RPG you've wanted since the GBA.

I'm throwing money and my credit card to the Switch, it's not effective (EU, ITA here)
EShop pls

Nevermind, I guess we'll need to wait after today midnight, right?

Posting some screenshots. Sorry for the short explanations, I’m on the road:

Love the dialogues, the speech bubbles are nicely animated, grow bigger or smaller; and so does the text. And: HD Rumble makes the speech a bit more accentuated.

Once you level up, you can invest points in different abilities.

Many NPCs have challenges you need to complete to get EXP and money.

From what eShop did you buy it?

I'm 3 hours in now and it's very hard to put down. There's a lot of depth to the Golf while still remaining accessible. The world is very expansive and the story, while nothing huge, is told in such an endearing way. What a brilliant game.

killroy87

I'm 3 hours in now and it's very hard to put down. There's a lot of depth to the Golf while still remaining accessible. The world is very expansive and the story, while nothing huge, is told in such an endearing way. What a brilliant game.

How's the actual golf part? Is the golf fun to play?

Kaban

It's so good. Courses also get more wacky and elaborate as you travel to different areas.

Not much to nit pick at here, it's an excellent Golf RPG.
I wasn’t a fan of the music in the 30-minute Vooks preview. How is it throughout what you’ve played so far?

Renna Hazel

As long as reliable impressions aren't absolutely terrible, I'll be purchasing this tomorrow. I'm also in the camp that hopes this leads to Tennis Story.

BTA

Was Mario Golf GBC pretty similar to Tennis? Because that's the one I fell in love with as a kid, and even rebought on 3DS VC just to have even if I'll never really replay it.

I'm not the biggest fan of golf as a sport but I've had fun with it in games here and there, so it's not going to stop me from enjoying this.

I wasn't a fan of the music in the 30-minute Vooks preview. How is it throughout what you've played so far?

I wouldn't call the music remarkable but it works in context with the games tone. Some of the courses have really relaxing themes.
I'm guessing reviews may start dropping tomorrow?

Can't really say at the moment. There's no embargo but the game seems pretty big. If I can finish it tonight I'll try and get a review out tomorrow but I would suggest expecting most to roll out in a few days time. I realise the game will have released by then.

Top Bottom