• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gonzo to do next-gen G.I. Joe anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troidal

Sorry if old news, I just read that Gonzo (Samurai 7, Last Exile, Submarine No 6) will be doing the next-generation anime for G.I. Joe, which will be based on the GI Joe vs. Cobra saga. I dont know if its a series, but it will be for video (and DVD I assume?) release.

Anyone heard of this? Any pictures?

hopefully Larry Hama will write it and retell the snake-eyes storm-shadow origins to a new generation.

no laser rifles for the joes. no 3rd tier character being given a first tier role (ie shipwreck in that recent Gi Joe CGI 'movie')

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Templar Wizard said:
hopefully Larry Hama will write it and retell the snake-eyes storm-shadow origins to a new generation.

no laser rifles for the joes. no 3rd tier character being given a first tier role (ie shipwreck in that recent Gi Joe CGI 'movie')

Shipwreck got the spotlight plenty of times in the original GI Joe cartoon, too. :)

lordmrw

You know, with all of the 80s revivals that were going on last year, you think someone would have jumped all over GI Joe. I mean, the comic book did a damn good job of reviving interest in the brand. If He-Man was brought back (regardless of how short it lasted), then why can't the Joes?

DaveH

lordmrw said:
If He-Man was brought back (regardless of how short it lasted), then why can't the Joes?

Politically incorrect. Too many stereotypes, guns, all-but-licensed military vehicles, and subtle off-color humor... been rewatching old Joe episodes and love some of the jokes I clearly didn't get as a kid. Sterilized Joes (not to mention ray gun wielding and queer toy-selling vehicles) just aren't the same....

lordmrw

I realize the gun thing is the biggest one to get around. ANd now that i think about it, now wouldn't be the best time to do one, all things considered. Damn 9/11 happened at the worst possible time.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Did you see the CG GI Joe: Spy Troops movie? Holy shit, what a fucking turd, and the worst part is that Larry Hama wrote the goddamn thing. It's like your kindly Uncle Bob coming over to your house and taking a huge crap on your bed.

lordmrw said:
Damn 9/11 happened at the worst possible time.

:)

Larry fucking lost it from issue 90 onwards, (issues 1-10 werent so hot either) but all that stuff in between was solid comic gold.
so, retell the story!

So was Snake-eyes a major character in the comic? He was always my favourite character (gotta love those ninjas), but I was thought he was a secondary character in the cartoon...

Troidal

human5892 said:
G.I. Joe...anime?

Does not compute.

Uhm...the 80s Joe is technically "anime" because animation was subcontracted to Toei Animation. As it was with Transformers too.

I know what you mean, you dont want Japanese anime stuff mingling with the American style cartoons. I wouldn't want that either, hopefully someone competent is doing the script writing.

A fight between Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes anime style wouldn't be so bad though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom