• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Friday through Easter Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

For many, Good Friday and Easter Sunday is a time of celebration. It is a time when God demonstrated His love for humanity by taking on human suffering and defeating sin and death on the cross. As Christians, we have been called to go out into the world and share this message because it is the greatest message ever told: that God would willingly encode himself into a human life and offer us a new way of living. Happy Good Friday and Easter Sunday!

“The present task of the Church is not only to share the sufferings of Christ, but in doing so to share and bear the sufferings of the world — and, indeed, to discover that those vocations are two ways of saying the same thing; so that the pain of the world, which was heaped once and for all on to the Messiah on the cross, is now strangely to be shared by those who suffer with him. The Church is not insulated from the pain of the world, but is to become for the world what Jesus was for the world, the place where its pain and grief may be focused and concentrated, and so healed.” (Historian and New Testament Scholar N.T. Wright)

Good Friday

(For a full account of the events of this day, see Matthew 27:1–61, Mark 15:1–47, Luke 23:1–56, John 18:28–19:42.)

On Thursday night in Gethsemane, Jesus was arrested—betrayed by one of his disciples and abandoned by the others. The chief priests and the Sanhedrin called for secret trials in the dead of night, and the verdict handed down was that Jesus would be crucified. This is something the Roman prefect, Pontius Pilate, has to execute. And reluctantly, he does.

After a severe beating, Jesus is nailed to a cross where he remains for six hours until dead. Never before or since has more been lost and gained at the same time. The world gained the atoning sacrifice of Christ. But for those present, either the significance of the moment is lost on them or their hearts break as the One they thought to be the Savior of the world dies at the hands of Rome. They can’t stop it, and they don’t realize it’s for them. They hoped in him, and though he’d told them he would suffer many things and rise three days later (Mark 8:31), how could they have possibly known this was what he meant?

• "Is there anywhere evidence of the existence of a God whom I can trust with this deep issue? Yes. At the heart of Christianity there is a cross. The central claim of Christianity is that Jesus Christ is God incarnate – which raises the question: what is God doing on a cross? At the very least that shows me that God has not remained distant from human suffering but has become part of it. Furthermore, Christ rose from the dead, which is a guarantee that there is to be a future judgement. This is a marvellous hope, because it means that our conscience is not an illusion, and those who terrorise, abuse, exploit, defame and cause their fellow humans untold suffering will not get away with it. Atheism has no such hope--for it ultimate justice is an illusion." (Oxford Professor John Lennox)
  • "At the supreme moment of his dying Jesus so identified himself with men and the depths of their predicament and agony that no man can now sink so low that God has not gone lower." (Scholar Os Guinness)
  • "In his crucifixion, therefore, Jesus identified fully (if paradoxically) with the aspirations of his people, dying as ‘the king of the Jews’, the representative of the people of God, accomplishing for Israel (and hence the world) what neither the world nor Israel could accomplish for themselves. To the question ‘Why did Jesus die?’ there are traditionally two sorts of answers: the theological (‘He died for our sins’), and the historical (‘He died because he fell foul of the authorities’). These two answers turn out to be two ways of saying the same thing. In Israel’s final national crisis the evil of the world, ranged against God’s people, and the evil within God’s people themselves, came to a head and, as a matter of history, put Jesus to death. As the story of the exodus is the story of how God redeemed Israel, so the story of the cross is the story of how God redeemed the world through Israel in person, in Jesus, the Messiah." (Historian and New Testament Scholar N.T. Wright)
  • "God overcame our evil by justifying us only because he first condemned it in Christ, and by redeeming us only because he first paid the ransom price. He did not overcome evil by re- fusing to punish it, but by accepting the punishment himself. At the cross human evil was both punished and overcome, and God’s mercy and justice were both satisfied." (Theologian John Stott)

1.jpg

original.jpg

Giving%2BUp%2BSpirit.png

2232323.jpg

Saturday—The Forgotten Day

(For a full account of the events of this day as found in the Gospels, see Matthew 27:62–66.)

Less is written about the Saturday following Jesus’s crucifixion than any other in the scope of this week. Yet what makes it unique is that this is the only full day in history where the body of Christ lies buried in a cave.

Yesterday, he was crucified. Tomorrow, he rises from the grave. But what about today? Though we may not make much of this day, when we look at the few verses the Gospels give us about it, we find it was by no means forgotten by the chief priests who had handed Jesus over to death. During his earthly ministry, Jesus repeatedly said he would die in Jerusalem at the hands of the chief priests, yet on the third day rise again (e.g., Matt. 12:40; Mark 8:31; 9:31; 10:34).

Of course, the chief priests scoffed. But they didn’t forget it. On the day between Good Friday and Easter Sunday, Jesus’s prediction preoccupies their thoughts such that they simply can’t leave it alone. Matthew 27:62–66 tells the strange story of how they can’t dismiss out of hand the possibility that Jesus might know something they don’t.

Resurrection Sunday

(For a full account of the events of this day, see Matthew 28:1–20, Mark 16:1–8, Luke 24:1–53, John 20:1–21:25.)

Early Sunday morning, some of Jesus’s friends set out for his grave to anoint the body of their friend and teacher. When they arrive, however, they are greeted by what one Gospel writer calls “a man dressed in lightning.” He tells them Jesus is not there, as he said. He is risen.

In the week leading up to his death, the Good Shepherd went out to meet the wolves of judgment, sin, and death—and he did so with all authority. One might wonder, what good has it ever done anyone to die for some cause? This is the glorious beauty of the gospel. Jesus didn’t die as a martyr for a cause. He was never in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was never at the mercy of anyone. He lived, died, and was buried because he meant to be.

No one took his life from him. He laid it down. For whom? For his flock, his people.

And he laid it down only to take it up again (John 10:18). The point of the cross was not just to die, but to die and rise again, defeating the prowling wolves of sin and death themselves.

passion.jpg

• “The simple, unsophisticated nature of the Gospels attests to their reliability rather than to their being fabrications. It isn’t unusual to read skeptics who point out alleged contradictions or lack of harmonization in, say, the Gospel accounts of the Resurrection narratives. But although the numbers of women, for example, differ from Gospel to Gospel, no evangelist asserts that only so many women went to the tomb. And even when it appears in John’s Gospel that only Mary Magdalene was at the tomb, she implies that she wasn’t alone: “We don’t know where they have put him” (John 20:2). Now, even if actual discrepancies existed in the Gospels, no good historian rejects a document because of conflicts in secondary matters. What is beyond doubt is that there is a general core of agreement among the Gospels. In any event, it’s clear that the Gospel writers were not plotting or fabricating these stories. Otherwise, they would have attempted to be more uniform in their accounting. For example, a fabricated account most likely would not have relied on women as the first witnesses of the Resurrection because of their typically lower status in Jewish society.” (Philosopher Paul Copan)
  • "The tradition concerning the empty tomb is so important an element in each of the four Gospels (Matt. 28:1-10; Mark 16:1-8; Luke 24:1-11; John 20:1-10) that it must be considered to have a basis in historical fact. The story is told from different aspects, and includes the divergence on minor points of detail which is so characteristic of eyewitness reports. Curiously, all four Gospels attribute the discovery of the empty tomb to women. At that time the testimony of a woman was virtually worthless. In first-century Palestine this would have been sufficient to discredit the accounts altogether. If the reports of the empty tomb were invented, it is difficult to understand why their inventors should have embellished their accounts of the "discovery" with something virtually guaranteed to discredit them. Were the first Christians really that stupid? Why not attribute this discovery to men, if the story was just invented? The most obvious explanation is that it was such a widely accepted tradition within the early church that the discoverers of the empty tomb were women that the idea could not be modified, even to make the story of the discovery more plausible." (Oxford Theologian Alister E. McGrath)
  • "Mary turns round and sees Jesus himself, and in one of those typically Johannine moments of irony thinks he is the gardener – as of course he is: the new Adam in the new creation. And he calls her by her real name, her ancient Hebrew name, Miriam, the name of Moses’ sister who sang her wild song of triumph after watching Israel’s God defeat the Egyptians in the Red Sea. Something of that may be echoing in this story as well, with Jesus as the new Moses who has led the way through the dark waters of death and is now leading the way home to the promised land." (Historian and New Testament Scholar N.T. Wright)
1.jpg

• “For the moment Peter was only amazed at the empty tomb; but then things began to happen in John’s mind. If someone had removed Jesus’ body, if tomb-robbers had been at work, why should they leave the grave clothes? And then something else struck John—the grave clothes were not disheveled and disarranged; they were lying there still in their folds—that is what the Greek means—the clothes for the body where the body had been; the napkin where the head had lain. The whole point of the description is that the grave clothes did not look as if they had been put off or taken off; they were lying there in their regular folds as if the body of Jesus had simply evaporated out of them and left them lying. The sight suddenly penetrated to John’s mind; he realized that had happened—and he believed. It was not what John read in scripture which convinced him that Jesus had risen; it was what with his own eyes he saw.” (Professor of Divinity and Biblical Criticism at the University of Glasgow William Barclay)
  • “Historical argument alone cannot force anyone to believe that Jesus was raised from the dead; but historical argument is remarkably good at clearing away the undergrowth behind which skepticisms of various sorts have been hiding. The proposal that Jesus was bodily raised from the dead possesses unrivaled power to explain the historical data at the heart of early Christianity.” (Historian and New Testament Scholar N. T. Wright)

zeemumu

This always felt weird when you're a 7th Day Adventist because you spend the rest of the year in church on Saturday

Mariolee

Yup, celebrating Good Friday tonight with my church. Excited to be reinvigorated by God's Word if only because I've felt a little lost over the past few weeks.

studyguy

Shitty sunday catholic here, at least made an effort to avoid meats on Fridays leading up to today for lent. I forgot to give something up, maybe next year.

We eatin this weekend. whew

Maybe it's just because I found church boring as a child, but the story of the crucifixion never really resonated with me. If God gives birth to my soul with original sin, then I was never really thankful that he sacrificed his temporary human form to remove it. It's a story of sacrifice but it never felt, to me, that God actually sacrificed anything since Jesus was only one portion of the Trinity and not a mortal entity that could really be sacrificed.

My dude, everyone knows Easter the time to binge your weight in chocolate eggs. Stop trying to ruin it.

Thanks for the thread, some interesting info. Never really gave any thought to the Saturday. Hell, it was never mentioned in RS. Kinda weird how that goes, you never really think about it until someone mentions it.

nicanica

I tend to remind myself that good saturday be the universal lesson that 'shit happens'. Even to God.

But thing'sll get better.

Blader

Huh. When you're taught the story in church, they always say Jesus was crucified and then rose from the dead three days later. But it's really 1.5 days between crucifixion and resurrection. I never realized that until seeing the day-to-day laid out here, for some reason.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"Good Friday"? Here (Sweden) it's called "Long Friday", because it was a long shitty day I guess.

I mean, none of that actually happened, but yeah.

Joni

Good Friday is very important to me as a Catholic
working for a bank which gives it as a bank holiday.

Nice OP.

I don't celebrate Easter much and don't follow holy week anymore, but I still appreciate the holiday. I keep my personal tradition of getting donuts on Easter Sunday. When I was observant, I'd always give up donuts for Lent, and on Easter Sunday I'd go out and get some donuts and really enjoy them. I don't usually give up anything for Lent anymore but I still like to get donuts on Easter Sunday morning. Many of the bakeries around me are Jewish bakeries, so they obviously don't observe Easter, so they'd always be open while some stores would close.

I also like when religious traditions from different cultures manifest themselves into something secular, like eating fish on Good Friday. My work cafeteria didn't have a meat-based option today even though most people who work here definitely aren't Catholic or Christian, I like that there's a cultural influence that manifests itself in a secular way and subtly influences people. I think it brings people together and they don't know it.

but where does the bunny that lays eggs come into play?

With a username like HammerOfThor I feel like you can explain that one.

Huh. When you're taught the story in church, they always say Jesus was crucified and then rose from the dead three days later. But it's really 1.5 days between crucifixion and resurrection. I never realized that until seeing the day-to-day laid out here, for some reason.

It does work out as three days. Day of crucifixion, Saturday, resurrection Sunday.

Bit of a stretch to include the day of death in there too, but that's how the story was written.

Solidsoul

Banned
So needed to see something like this on NeoGAF. Very comforting to know there are other believers on this forum. I much appreciate the info! God bless!

Poppy

you know, if they just changed the easter bunny to the easter platypus it would be a much better match, plus who doesnt like a platypus?

It's usually said "...on the third day he rose again...," at least, that's from the Creed.

My place is still open. Bleh. Get all the people talking to me about their religion without getting the day off or a short day

Ogodei

Went and found a sit-down Greek restaurant that would sell me rice pie to go (always an easter staple back at home, despite my family not being Greek even though our last name sounds kind of like it).

Have a stockpile of Reese's eggs, a box of peeps, going to buy a single slice of pre-cooked ham for Sunday. Good stuff.

Thanks for the commentary on Easter Saturday, OP. Despite being raised Catholic, they never taught us a thing about it.

RangerX

Banned
I find the day a pain in the fuckin arse because pubs and off licenses close here in Ireland on good Friday. Thank fuck they're changing the law next year.

Great thread OP.

Being born and raised a catholic, for us saturday was a very relevant day. I never knew it was considered the "Forgotten Day", because we knew it as "Holy Saturday" (basically the day in which Jesus descended to hell)

Holy Saturday (Latin: Sabbatum Sanctum), the Saturday of Holy Week, also known as the Great Sabbath, Black Saturday, or Easter Eve,[1] and called "Joyous Saturday" or "the Saturday of Light" among Coptic Christians, is the day after Good Friday. It is the day before Easter and the last day of Holy Week in which Christians prepare for Easter. It commemorates the day that Jesus Christ's body lay in the tomb and the Harrowing of Hell.

Holy Saturday is sometimes referred to as Easter Saturday. Some authorities consider that usage incorrect, holding that the term is only correctly applied to the Saturday in Easter Week.[2][3] However, using the term "Easter Saturday" to refer to the day between Good Friday and Easter Sunday is used in legislation in the Australian states of New South Wales and Queensland,[4] and is in common use in Australia, including by government agencies.[5]

On this day, the Blessed Virgin Mary as Our Lady of Sorrows is assigned the title Our Lady of Solitude, referring to her solace and grief at the death of her son Jesus.

Holy Saturday

As for the "Easter Bunnys"
Those have nothing to do with the actual Easter celebration, as is merely a tradition germans brought to the US on the 18th century, but goes further back to the 13th century when pre-christian germany worshiped various gods such as Eostra whose symbol was actually a rabbit and it marked the beginning of the Vernal Equinox.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I gave up cokes for lent and you know what...I feel like I should just continue not drinking them after Easter. I know that'd be better for me at least. Finally stuck to something for once! :p

Happy Easter Weekend y'all!

Desmond

Here in Ireland it's illegal to sell alcohol so every Holy Thursday is crazy with people trying to buy it bulk. I'll admit I did the same 😂

Patriots7

Ours wasn't, I took a personal day :(

I've always wondered - scripture says three days and three nights...are we not sure He died on Thursday?

Here in Ireland it's illegal to sell alcohol so every Holy Thursday is crazy with people trying to buy it bulk. I'll admit I did the same 😂

Hopefully by next year that stupid law will be done away with and drunks can buy their alcohol on "Good Friday" without silly rules.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How come? I'm not a practicing Christian but that's surprising
I think it was just one guy plugging his blog over and over.

Great thread OP. Thanks.

Six hours. That's brutal. That's almost an entire work day of extreme suffering.

hollomat

Banned
"Good Friday"? Here (Sweden) it's called "Long Friday", because it was a long shitty day I guess.

I mean, none of that actually happened, but yeah.

Thanks for feeling the need to come into a topic on Easter and say that. Next time keep your shit post to yourself.

The OP took the time to make a detailed post on a topic important to them, but you feel the need to be a dick.

Happy Easter to everyone else!

Mikey Jr.

Happy Easter everyone!

Anyone else not eating meat for Good Friday?

Just wondering how prevalent that tradition is.

Josh5890

Wonderful thread. For me, I'm going to Stations tonight, Easter vigil tomorrow night at 7, and ham dinner on Sunday!

fester

Banned
I think it was just one guy plugging his blog over and over.

Heh, that would be the OP of this thread.

As far as Easter goes, my days of participating in anything related to Holy Week officially came to an end this past fall when I realized just how deep the hypocrisy and madness ran. If you're still able to find personal peace from it, more power to you, but it's become a source of intense stress for me.

Atheist here but I love getting Friday and Monday off work. Even though I now work for myself (so it's not very special anymore). Happy Easter!

rjinaz

I like Easter. Just the same way I like Christmas. Nobody that I know that is Christian actually goes to church or anything. It's basically an excuse to get together with family especially if there are young kids. I'm not religious but will always celebrate the holiday even if just for the bunny.

Happy Easter to everybody, no matter how you celebrate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom