• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Friday through Easter Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from my Good Friday service (it's three​ hours long!). We do a passion play, but it's called Good Friday Blues. We replace the normal sacred music with blues and gospel music. It's a ton of fun. Here's a link of me singing one of the gospel songs from last year, called "All The Way". I did it again this year, but we had professionals record the service, so we'll get a finished product sometime soon.

https://youtu.be/zEcGRgg5FE4

Trey

I'll be going to church for the first time in a long time on Sunday. I'll probably be there for a minimum of three hours if I remember how this goes correctly, lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All through grade school we only got Good Friday off when it happened to fall during the regularly scheduled April Vacation but during middle school the teacher's union must have successfully negotiated a paid day off during that time. So being not the most religious person in the world I was and still am thankful for those Friday's off of school. I'd rather have a random Friday off in March/April instead of one random day in June at the end of the year I could probably test out of.

Chaplain

Huh, never put much thought into the Saturday before Easter. Interesting stuff. Nice work OP.

Your welcome.

If you want to learn more about Holy Saturday, here is an article by theologian Sarah Bachelard:

Holy Saturday and the Silence of God

In all four Gospels, after Jesus has breathed his last, Joseph of Arimathea goes to Pilate to ask for the body. He has taken responsibility for the burial. And, unique among the Gospels, Mark insists on the fact that Jesus is dead. The word "dead" seems deliberately to be repeated. Pilate wonders if Jesus is already dead; he asks the centurion whether Jesus has been dead for some time; and when he learns from the centurion that he is dead, he grants to body to Joseph. Dead, dead, dead. This man, the Son of God is dead. Our Creed insists on it as well: Jesus Christ, the second person of the Trinity, is dead. And his death means that God is a God who suffers at human hands, a God at the mercy of creatures, a God who dies. What kind of a God could this possibly be? Does it not stretch the very concept of God to the limit? Indeed, for the disciples, Jesus's death brings about a profound dissolution of their theological understanding. Already in Jesus's company, they have been led beyond their old religious identity and belonging. They had dared to believe that in the person of Jesus, God was present in a new way, bringing into being a new Israel and a new relationship with divinity. With him dead, their embryonic new identities and understandings collapse, and so any sense of where and who God might be.

Thanks man.

Your welcome.

An amazing song to start the weekend: What A Beautiful Name - Hillsong Worship

Lyn

Banned
I also just wanted to say thank you for the thread. It is certainly heartwarming to see other Christians around and the thread itself being pretty respectful. Certainly a lot of great info! :)

Mario007

Just finished my Holy Saturday service here in China. We had lots of people and many baptisism. Mass was around three and a half ours, but very nice. Already had an amazing late ham dinner. And now it's time for celebrating after the 40 day lent :D

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I was going to go to Easter Vigil but the service takes two or more hours so I'd much rather give up my Easter morning to go to mass. Easter Vigil is soooooo long.

daviyoung

Banned
original.jpg

I didn't know Henry Cavill played Mary Magdalene.

TwelveJaguars

Neo Member
Maybe it's just because I found church boring as a child, but the story of the crucifixion never really resonated with me. If God gives birth to my soul with original sin, then I was never really thankful that he sacrificed his temporary human form to remove it. It's a story of sacrifice but it never felt, to me, that God actually sacrificed anything since Jesus was only one portion of the Trinity and not a mortal entity that could really be sacrificed.

These are some interesting questions that I've thought about myself. Scripture seems to say that the embodiment of Jesus was not temporary. He's still in his body now, the first of humanity to be part of the promised renewed creation.

As to the temporary nature of his death. I think it's a bit like the "What did God do before creation?" question. "Before" is a property of the universe, just like "up". What happened to Jesus has been described as a loss of fellowship and community that he had always had with the Father. (For the outside of time version of "always" anyway). A cosmic version of the pain of a divorce or the rejection of a dear friend. I don't know what temporary means to a mind that exists outside of time. Perhaps even "now" the pain is just as keen as "then".

I gave up cokes for lent and you know what...I feel like I should just continue not drinking them after Easter. I know that'd be better for me at least. Finally stuck to something for once! :p

Happy Easter Weekend y'all!

I did the same exact thing. I gave up Diet Coke and regular Coke. It really was a great choice and I think I'll give it up for a while longer now.

Beautiful thread OP. Thank you for posting!

Ahasverus

I've always found super weird that the Bible just stops talking about Jesus throughout his resurrected days. Like, dude, this is the most important part. He should have go to his captors and show his powers.

That's my main doubt against faith, because I deduce then Jesus didn't resurrect. However, I still consider him a great master and an exemplary man.

Chaplain

Another Good Friday study to download:

Right click/save as: 4.14.17 - Jesus Died For Us (1 Peter 2:24-25)

That's my main doubt against faith, because I deduce then Jesus didn't resurrect.

You are not the only one who struggles with the claims of Christ and the New Testament authors. A recent BBC survey said that a quarter of Christians believe the Resurrection did not happen.

• 17% of all people believe the Bible version word-for-word
  • 31% of Christians believe word-for-word the Bible version, rising to 57% among "active" Christians (those who go to a religious service at least once a month)
  • Exactly half of all people surveyed did not believe in the resurrection at all
  • 46% of people say they believe in some form of life after death and 46% do not
  • 20% of non-religious people say they believe in some form of life after death
  • 9% of non-religious people believe in the Resurrection, 1% of whom say they believe it literally

For those interested, Theologian Ian Paul wrote an article that analyzed the BBC Poll:

Do Christians really not believe in the Resurrection?

First, we can observe that actually attending a church makes a difference to belief. It might be argued that going to church teaches you Christian doctrine; or it might be argued that if you believe Christian doctrine then you will attend church. But either way, church attendance and conformity to Christian belief do indeed go together. Attendance (‘bums on pews') really does matter.

Secondly, this means that Gavin Ashenden's theological point—that belief in the resurrection is such a core Christian belief that it doesn't make much sense to call yourself a Christian without believing in it—is also true sociologically. Belief in the resurrection does indeed correlate with active Christian involvement.

Thirdly, this raises a question about the BBC's reporting of the poll. The BBC is a big corporation, and they must have within the organisation people who are trained in statistical analysis. And the poll included all the information needed about active and non-active Christians. So why did they themselves not undertake this analysis? And why did they decide to publicise the results in such a misleading way—at the moment of a major Christian festival? Can you imagine a misleading story, undermining a sense of belief, being published at a major festival of another world religion? (If you would like to complain about this, you can do so here.)

Lastly, this has an impact on other surveys which purport to show ‘what Christians believe'. In January last year, Jayne Ozanne commissioned a poll which ‘demonstrated' that the majority of Anglicans supported her view on sexual ethics. But the poll did no such thing, precisely because it did not ask a stratification question about church attendance in the way the BBC ComRes poll did. Given that such a question is so important, it would be hard to justify not including such a question in your survey—unless, of course, you wanted to fix the results and get the answer you were looking for.

Other recent articles that discuss the resurrection from an academic perspective.

1. 4 facts that only fit the Resurrection

I believe that the case for the resurrection is even stronger today than in Frank Morison's time. A new generation of biblical scholars have been examining afresh the evidence for the claim that lies at the centre of the Christian faith.

Leading the field is Gary Habermas, New Testament historian and philosopher of religion. He, along with others, has proposed a new way of making the argument – the ‘minimal facts' approach.

No appeal to the inspiration of scriptures is required in this approach. There is no attempt to try to harmonise apparent contradictions between the different Gospel accounts. There are no arguments over what can and can't be believed in the stories. The aim is far simpler: To show that the resurrection of Jesus is the most coherent and rational explanation for a set of historical facts which are agreed upon by the vast majority of New Testament historian scholars, whether believing or non-believing, Christian or agnostic. Habermas has described it as the ‘lowest common denominator' version of the facts.

The claim is that for those with an open mind, the agreed upon ‘minimal facts' should be enough to make the case for the resurrection. So, let's review four of these facts and then ask the question: What is the best explanation for them?

2. NT Wright: Why Jesus' crucifixion is a fact of history

Leading New Testament scholar Tom Wright explains why Christians can be confident the gospel accounts are true.

3. The Resurrection Answers Three Big Questions

”The resurrection of Jesus Christ is either one of the most wicked, vicious, heartless hoaxes ever foisted on the minds of human beings—or it is the most remarkable fact of history." My father has often shared these words to me in person, and he's written them in his books. The older I get, the more I realize they're unmistakably true. There's no middle ground with the resurrection of Jesus. Either it is a colossal fabrication or the most important event in history.

Given that we are in Easter season, many people are thinking about the resurrection. Is it true? What does it mean? Why should I care? In this short post, I have a modest goal: to persuade you of the monumental importance of the resurrection of Jesus. Thus, I consider three massive questions that the resurrection, if it is true, answers.

4. 3 Ways Science Supports the Miracle of the Resurrection

In the ancient world, eyewitness testimony and miracles were considered strong evidence to believe the truthfulness of something. When Moses asked Pharaoh to free the Israelites, he performed various signs to prove the power of God (Exod. 7:8–12). Likewise, the apostles argued that their faith was true because God raised Jesus from the dead (1 Cor. 15:14–19). Today, however, people tend not to believe in miracles. They are considered superstitious and impossible, given the supposed greater knowledge of the world we now have through science.

In recent years, however, many Christians have been applying the very methods scientists have used to discredit the resurrection to prove the resurrection was a real event. This study is called ramified natural theology. Like natural science, natural theology seeks to examine Christian claims specifically through rational, objective procedure.
This rational procedure tests the claims based on their presuppositions, evidence, and logic. The common presupposition most people (Christian and non-Christian alike) hold is that the physical world exists and can be understood. With this presupposition agreed upon, scientists can look at the public evidence and standard reasoning for the resurrection of Jesus and see if it holds water.

5. If there was no Resurrection, we're following a dead Christ

The Resurrection for the non-Christian is just as important. You ask for proof and evidence of the Christian gospel. Our number one exhibit is the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Tim Keller at the Gospel Coalition conference in 2013 made an intriguing statement – resurrection makes Christianity the most irritating religion on earth. Why is that? Because you can argue about ethics, doctrines, rituals until you are blue in the face – people are free to believe what they want. But the Resurrection means everything is changed. If Christ is not raised Christians are to be pitied for wasting our lives. But if Christ is raised it would be insane to ignore him and his claims.

As Michael Green says: 'The Resurrection, therefore, is the place to begin if you are looking for a satisfying faith on which to base your life. Do not waste a lot of time investigating every religion under the sun from animism to Hinduism. Examine the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus instead. If he is risen you need look no further.'

6. The Resurrection by Oxford Theologian Alister McGrath

If Jesus Christ was raised from the dead, never to die again, he is instantly marked out as being distinct from every other person in history. He would be unique. There would be something dramatically different about him. The only question remaining would relate to the nature of his uniqueness – a question which Christian theology has answered in the doctrine of the incarnation. Yet the apologist will be aware that the resurrection of Christ proves a major stumbling block to many people. The reasons for this centre upon three issues: the improbability of the event, the unreliability of the New Testament witnesses to the event, and its irrelevance to life. We shall explore some of these issues in the present section.

Chaplain

Happy Resurrection Sunday!

"Historically: an empty tomb, hundreds were convinced they had seen Jesus after His death, they held unwaveringly to that truth despite being killed for it, Jews now worshipped a human as God. Personally: What is your response? Wishing you all a wonderful and worshipful Easter!" (Philosopher Vince Vitale)

Video: The Super Cool Story of Jesus

The Archbishop of Canterbury's Easter 2017 Sermon

"Because God acted and raised Jesus everything is different: we know the truth about God, through the resurrection. The cross revealed the love of God, the resurrection reveals the truth of Jesus, that He is God and human, both fully, both at once. The Preacher to the Papal Household, Fr Raniero di Cantalamessa, said last week, ”The resurrection is God's powerful ‘yes', his ‘Amen', to the life of His son Jesus". The resurrection is a reality that changes everything in our lives. ”Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth" (Colossians 3:2). Everything we are and own and see is to be lived, and held and understood through the resurrection." (Archbishop Justin Welby)

May The Joy of Easter Be Yours

”Jesus Christ continually contradicts us in the way we experience ourselves as alive and compels us to radically redefine what we mean by life. He encounters us the way He encountered the disciples on Easter Sunday. They were the ones marked out for death. Those who had survived Him were really the dead. He, the dead one, was really the living." (Paul Waitman Hoon)

If Christ Is Not Raised

"As Christians who exult in the evangel, the good news of God's redeeming love for sinners, we rightly cherish above all else the cross of Jesus Christ. Good Friday services are among the most glorious of our annual gatherings as we reflect upon that sacrifice. We delight to read and pray and sing and preach of its cosmos-shaking significance for the sons of Adam and its comprehensive liberation of a creation that has been subjected to futility. It is beyond comprehension: Jesus died in our place. He took upon himself the Father's wrath, which we richly deserved to bear. He kept the law of God perfectly and laid down his life voluntarily, the innocent man serving the death sentence of the criminals. By faith in the Christ who hung on that judgment tree we are declared righteous. Not guilty. Price paid. Finished. God's enemies now seated at his banquet table. So enthralled (rightly) are we by the cross of Christ that we can, if we're not careful, inadvertently underplay what happened on Easter—the bodily, literal resurrection of Jesus. After all, without Easter Sunday, Good Friday is just another Friday. Jesus's resurrection that secured our resurrection (Col 2:12). We cannot rightly call the cross good news apart from Mary Magdalene's stupefying announcement to the disciples in John 20:18: ”I have seen the Lord." (Jeff Robinson, PhD, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary)

Death Has Been Swallowed Up by Death

"Biblical references to Jesus's time in the tomb abound in the New Testament, and they are filled with theological significance. In Matthew 12:40, Jesus compares his burial to Jonah in the belly of the whale (which is, in Jonah 2, also a reference to the abyss, the place of the dead). In Acts 2:24-28, Peter speaks of Christ in the grave and God's power and victory over death. In Ephesians 4:9-10 and Romans 10:7, Paul makes theological use of Christ's descent to the place of dead. All of this suggests that Christ's burial has theological significance. After all, if the only thing that matters is Jesus's death, then why have a burial at all? Further, why the burial for three days? These passages and others indicate that Jesus's prolonged state of death is vicarious, in that by it Jesus experiences and defeats death for us." (Gavin Ortlund, PhD, Fuller Theological Seminary)

Can a scientist believe in the resurrection? Three hypotheses.

"Today's widespread materialist view that events contrary to the laws of science just can't happen is a metaphysical doctrine, not a scientific fact. What's more, the doctrine that the laws of nature are ”inviolable" is not necessary for science to function. Science offers natural explanations of natural events. It has no power or need to assert that only natural events happen. So if science is not able to adjudicate whether Jesus' resurrection happened or not, are we completely unable to assess the plausibility of the claim? No. Contrary to increasingly popular opinion, science is not our only means for accessing truth. In the case of Jesus' resurrection, we must consider the historical evidence, and the historical evidence for the resurrection is as good as for almost any event of ancient history. The extraordinary character of the event, and its significance, provide a unique context, and ancient history is necessarily hard to establish. But a bare presumption that science has shown the resurrection to be impossible is an intellectual cop-out. Science shows no such thing." (Professor of nuclear science and engineering at MIT Ian H. Hutchinson)

As a Christian it's exciting to see extremely informative posts such as these during the faith's most important holiday. Thanks for putting the effort into this thread.

I went to Easter service last night and it was great to see people get baptized. He is risen!

Huh. When you're taught the story in church, they always say Jesus was crucified and then rose from the dead three days later. But it's really 1.5 days between crucifixion and resurrection. I never realized that until seeing the day-to-day laid out here, for some reason.
I didn't care about Christianity much until college, and then when I learned about it, the Friday - Sunday layout never made sense.

It turns out there is an alternate approach that's much more consistent. I generally don't *love* the site I'm about to link to, but in this case it does a good job of laying out the alternate understanding: https://carm.org/how-long-was-jesus-dead-tomb (go to the "Another possible solution" section)

CloudWolf

but where does the bunny that lays eggs come into play?

I don't know about laying eggs (which sound like a weird American version of the character to me), but the Easter Bunny actually came from German Lutherans in the 17th century, the rabbit was a judge for kids. Good kids got candy/eggs, bad kids got nothing. The Catholic faith had its own variation on the myth, with a bunch of flying church bells bringing kids candy (seriously).

It's really odd, because you would assume that something as random as a rabbit bringing eggs would come from Pagan sources (like the name Easter), not from Protestants.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Left Easter mass after communion to avoid the once-a-year crowd traffic #badcatholichabits

I did Stations with the fam on Friday, and am about to head off to Easter Mass.

Just finished my Holy Saturday service here in China. We had lots of people and many baptisism. Mass was around three and a half ours, but very nice. Already had an amazing late ham dinner. And now it's time for celebrating after the 40 day lent :D

Awesome. I miss going to the long-ass Vigil Mass on Holy Saturday. Haven't been able to attend for a while.

Christus resurrexit!

I actually got a happy easter message from someone earlier, despite not being a religious person myself........ didn't quite know how to respond... but wound up replying happy easter back to that person.

I'm only invested in it because of the public holidays off (sadly have to go back to work on Tuesday..... but some lucky people have Easter Tuesday off as a public holiday too!).

Happy Easter GAF!

I spent all day Friday and Saturday getting my Jesus (carpenter) on by reframing in my addition to my house. Topped it off by going to Easter service last night with my entire family, and went out to dinner with about 30 people to celebrate.. good stuff.

Off to my parents this morning to continue things, then heading to spend the entire day with my wife's family at a local park, bbqing etc..

BasilZero

Just came back from Church service.

Had a meal but didnt get seconds at church because my family made some food for ourselves at home :)

My wife celebrated Easter last night at her church in India and I celebrated this morning here in the US.

Also - awesome OP!

BroBot

I'm truly thankful for God giving this world the gift of Jesus.

Sadly I have to work today, but I was able to attend a service Saturday, it was wonderful. Now I need to find someone to share all of these starburst jelly beans with because there are far too many of them.

Awesome OP.

I also had Cadbury Cream Eggs but it appears that's the nastiest candy ever made (by GAF standards) next to candy corn. I like them both though.

DopeToast

Banned
Went to Mass with the family this morning and am sitting around watching baseball and drinking beer. Pretty good day. Got some kielbasa and pierogi on the way for dinner.

Just wish the weekend came with a day off.

Teaching a lesson today and loved this excerpt:

“… No sign, no work of art, no representation of form is adequate to express the glory and the wonder of the Living Christ. He told us what that symbol should be when he said, ‘If ye love me, keep my commandments.’ (John 14:15.)
“As his followers, we cannot do a mean or shoddy or ungracious thing without tarnishing his image. Nor can we do a good and gracious and generous act without burnishing more brightly the symbol of him whose name we have taken upon ourselves.
“And so our lives must become a meaningful expression, the symbol of our declaration of our testimony of the Living Christ, the Eternal Son of the Living God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom