• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Gaming TV?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
One of my TVs died. This is one in the living room where my kids usual game and watch movies. Was thinking about a 65” x90j. What’s the take here on that tv? Being lazy and don’t want to read and watch 100 reviews a d videos.

ParaSeoul

Deciding between the QN90A and C1,leaning towards the Samsung because of the stand design and I have a bright room.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Deciding between the QN90A and C1,leaning towards the Samsung because of the stand design and I have a bright room.
I recently picked up a 75" QN90A from Best Buy and have until Jan 16th to return it via their Christmas return policy and I also have a bright room and this TV excels in this bright environment.

I picked up last years X900H from Sony for this room and so far this QN90A beats it in every aspect except only having 1 HDMI 2.1 port vs 2 on the Sony but the QN90A seems to be a fully functioning HDMI 2.1

Brining up the game bar on the TV shows the Series X running 4k 120 with VRR showing Freesync Premium.

Personally I think its the nicest 4k LED TV I have seen.

Now in comparison our main viewing TV is a 77" C9 we just don't use it through the day because of all the natural light coming in and this QN90A still can not compete with OLED

OLED is still king for everything except brightness

Overall super impressed with the QN90A and if you happen to have a Best Buy close take advantage of their extended Holiday return period as the best way to see these TVs is in your house

Lux R7

i got myself a 55" LG OLED CX3 (as a monitor for my comfy couch gaming pc config) and wow, it is a game changer.

mhirano

I recommend the LG OLED C1. I just got the 48 inch model, it's AMAZING!
Here in Brazil this TV is bizarrely cheaper than in the US (usually we pay almost double the price).
I got it for R$ 4599 (USD 816).
6fXRLGO.jpg

Last edited:

Vasto

Samsung will be making Quantum Dot OLED TVs in 2022 which should be a game changer. Sony has already jumped on board and will be getting their OLED panels from Samsung Display from now on instead of LG.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
In typical NeoGaf fashion, there is only one option and that is the best option.

Believe it or not there are other "good" options that won't cost $2,500 U.S. There are other lower end LGs that are good and Sonys as well.

Unless of course, you need the absolute best.

Last edited:

mhirano

In typical NeoGaf fashion, there is only one option and that is the best option.

Believe it or not there are other "good" options that won't cost $2,500 U.S. There are other lower end LGs that are good and Sonys as well.

You could start listing the other good models instead of just complaining...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

So yeah the post that revived this thread he is in fact looking at the best of the best and not a cheap $400 4k TV

And usually the people who frequent gaming forums are typically enthusiasts who want higher end equipment

Edgelord79

Gold Member
You could start listing the other good models instead of just complaining...
I'm not doing a Google review for you. There are hundreds of lists that are good. Tough to recommend when we don't know the budget, type of games they play, do they even care about 120 Hz, etc...

mhirano

I'm not doing a Google review for you. There are hundreds of lists that are good. Tough to recommend when we don't know the budget, type of games they play, do they even care about 120 Hz, etc...
If are not willing to contribute to the thread, you might as well quit the forum.
It was not for me, I am happy with my LG OLED TV, but the OT and many other users might need the info.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
And usually the people who frequent gaming forums are typically enthusiasts who want higher end equipment
That's a generic argument.

By the way there is a lot of room between the $400 price point you mentioned and $2500.

But sure then. Just get C1 OLED as only the best will do.

/End of thread

Last edited:

mhirano

'In typical Neogaf fashion' the user couldn't even read the OT but is eager to troll and complain endlessly...
The OT comes with budget if you care to read

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Not the end of the thread as the post that revived this thread stated he had a bright room and depending on how bright that kills the OLED

Stop being a troll and if you can not contributed don't post.

Ranks C1 as good for a bright room.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Ranks C1 as good for a bright room.
Ranks the C1 as the best OLED for a bright room, reading comprehension.

I have a C9 and my room is super bright through the day and OLEDs just do not cut it in a super bright environment

Btw my last reply to you on the subject as again you are just wanting to troll and have devoted enough time to feeding you

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So right now I have an older lg oled, just bought a Sony x90j, and a lg series 90 2021. Honestly I like a series 90 the best. I has vrr, Dolby vision, and the lowest input lag. It’s also the brightest of the three. It just doesn’t have the blackest blacks in a black scene but it’s not that far from the Sony.

the oled has too much burn in and screen deformity after just a year of use for me to use it for gaming anymore. It is 3 years old.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Ranks the C1 as the best OLED for a bright room, reading comprehension.

I have a C9 and my room is super bright through the day and OLEDs just do not cut it in a super bright environment

Btw my last reply to you on the subject as again you are just wanting to troll and have devoted enough time to feeding you
Why are you so quick to insult me?

I said the C1 was "good". I didn't say it was the best. Fine, your experience is different. I have an LG in a bright room and am good with it as I have it positioned optimally for what I want and it synergizes well with my accessories. I like the LG because the room isn't always bright and I can turn off the lights or play at night and then I like the contrast and blacks that OLED provide so its a balance.

Just calm down dude. I apologize if I rubbed you the wrong way It was not my intention.

EDIT: Samsungs are pretty bright too and provide a good gaming experience so you the OP could look there. I guess too it may depend on what type of games are being played. Most FPS, then low latency would be pretty important I would assume over the 3rd person cinematic style games.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Why are you so quick to insult me?

I said the C1 was "good". I didn't say it was the best. Fine, your experience is different. I have an LG in a bright room and am good with it as I have it positioned optimally for what I want and it synergizes well with my accessories. I like the LG because the room isn't always bright and I can turn off the lights or play at night and then I like the contrast and blacks that OLED provide so its a balance.

Just calm down dude. I apologize if I rubbed you the wrong way It was not my intention.

EDIT: Samsungs are pretty bright too and provide a good gaming experience so you the OP could look there. I guess too it may depend on what type of games are being played. Most FPS, then low latency would be pretty important I would assume over the 3rd person cinematic style games.
You cannot just act like you didn't make your first post just to start discouse and then quickly try to damage control by linking a few hastily googled articles lmao

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Ok, first, to HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and ParaSeoul ParaSeoul after rereading my original post, I stand by my first assertion, however I do recognize that you are correct and should have put some options and it could have come across as a "lazy" post. Here is my contribution then based on what I've tried and what I've gleaned:

Expensive

LG C1 55 (can't remember the exact model, but it replaced the B1 Oled upstairs).

Samsung Q80T (never used) -> picked this out due to its brightness and it appears to be good for reflections. I don't think this model supports HDMI 2.1 if that's important.

Budget & Mid Tier (approx. under $1500 US)

Samsung QN85 series - Looks like a good all-rounder for a bright room if you are concerned about OLED. Have never used.

TCL 65 5 Series TV (I have this in the spare room, and for the money its great for games. Doesn't hold a candle to the above for obvious reasons, but I paid $600 for it and its a good big 60 hz lower latency TV for games. Draw back would be the crap Roku interface and movies/shows look mediocre). Games are good though. HDR is meh on it. I'm sure the newer models are better.

LG Nanocell - Can't remember model, but I took it back and went with the C1 as I found it dim and after OLED I just couldn't go back, but your mileage will vary. That was really my only complaint. The Nanocell was not this years model but last years.

Sony KD-65 series - LED with good HDR, brightness, lower latency.

Can You Even Get It?

LG B1 OLED (older but good, had I had it in a brighter room by large windows and I close the blinds if its too much glare. Don't watch TV during the day much. Replaced by the C1 55 which is ridiculously nice.) Only does up to 60 hz so if 120 hz is important look elsewhere. Still one of my favourite TV's I've ever known and my introduction to OLED.

Edit: Q80T should be moved to mid tier.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I recently picked up a 75" QN90A from Best Buy and have until Jan 16th to return it via their Christmas return policy and I also have a bright room and this TV excels in this bright environment.

I picked up last years X900H from Sony for this room and so far this QN90A beats it in every aspect except only having 1 HDMI 2.1 port vs 2 on the Sony but the QN90A seems to be a fully functioning HDMI 2.1

Brining up the game bar on the TV shows the Series X running 4k 120 with VRR showing Freesync Premium.

Personally I think its the nicest 4k LED TV I have seen.

Now in comparison our main viewing TV is a 77" C9 we just don't use it through the day because of all the natural light coming in and this QN90A still can not compete with OLED

OLED is still king for everything except brightness

Overall super impressed with the QN90A and if you happen to have a Best Buy close take advantage of their extended Holiday return period as the best way to see these TVs is in your house

I'm very happy with my QN90A as well.

mhirano

Ok, first, to HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and ParaSeoul ParaSeoul after rereading my original post, I stand by my first assertion, however I do recognize that you are correct and should have put some options and it could have come across as a "lazy" post. Here is my contribution then based on what I've tried and what I've gleaned:

Expensive

LG C1 55 (can't remember the exact model, but it replaced the B1 Oled upstairs).

Samsung Q80T (never used) -> picked this out due to its brightness and it appears to be good for reflections. I don't think this model supports HDMI 2.1 if that's important.

Samsung QN85 series - Looks like a good all-rounder for a bright room if you are concerned about OLED. Have never used.

TCL 65 5 Series TV (I have this in the spare room, and for the money its great for games. Doesn't hold a candle to the above for obvious reasons, but I paid $600 for it and its a good big 60 hz lower latency TV for games. Draw back would be the crap Roku interface and movies/shows look mediocre). Games are good though. HDR is meh on it. I'm sure the newer models are better.

LG Nanocell - Can't remember model, but I took it back and went with the C1 as I found it dim and after OLED I just couldn't go back, but your mileage will vary. That was really my only complaint. The Nanocell was not this years model but last years.

Can You Even Get It?

LG B1 OLED (older but good, had I had it in a brighter room by large windows and I close the blinds if its too much glare. Don't watch TV during the day much. Replaced by the C1 55 which is ridiculously nice.) Only does up to 60 hz so if 120 hz is important look elsewhere. Still one of my favourite TV's I've ever known and my introduction to OLED.
Nice post! See, it was that hard to be helpful...
And why did you put the QN85 as midtier but the Q80T as expensive when they cost the same (around 1100 dollars for the 55 version)?

ParaSeoul

Expensive

Can You Even Get It?

Edit: Q80T should be moved to mid tier.
Better post tbh.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
That's a generic argument.

By the way there is a lot of room between the $400 price point you mentioned and $2500.

But sure then. Just get C1 OLED as only the best will do.

/End of thread
You can get a c1 for well under 2500. The c1 is objectively better in most respects than any other tv. This is not debatable. It's science.

Kuranghi

The Q80A is a crap buy, don't get it, it has like 32 zones but its an IPS panel so the Sony X90J with 24 zones and a VA panel is a better buy than it.

Even the QN85A with its insane dimming zone count is useless because of the IPS panel, the contrast is rubbish on both of them and I would avoid all Samsungs this year except the QN90/94/95A. I see it at work and the blooming from the internal demo is noticable on an ultra-lit shop floor, in a dark room it will be pants.

Even with all those zones I still wouldn't expect the QN90A to be anywhere near as impressive as an OLED in low light or challenging scenes, it will crush shadow/dark detail to nothing to avoid blooming whereas a decent OLED won't.

I know they get you worried with this "bright room" stuff but thats just bollocks because you can't watch HDR films properly in a lit room anyway, and some will be unwatchable even on the brightest sets in the world (SDR is awesome in a lit room on an OLED). Sure you can boost the gamma or other stupid things but its just reducing contrast and destroying the image to the point where you are removing one of the main benefits you get from such a high end set, ie high contrast via deep black level + high peak brightness. If you are watching HDR in a bright/lit room then just buy a midrange LCD instead.

Last edited:
The Samsung QN90A would be my dream TV if it only supported Dolby Vision.

As someone that sent back two QN90As, I can tell you they are really good TVs. The reason why I returned both was due to terrible dirty screen effect and vertical banding. The nerfed local dimming in game mode is another downside. Still looks good though. Mixed and dark content can be an issue. The local dimming sometimes doesn't really know what to prioritize and leans on its native contrast to pick up the slack which can make the whole image look bland. Local dimming can lag behind too (even outside game mode). Despite those issues I may have kept it if it weren't for the terrible screen quality.

Hopped on the LG C1 train and never looked back. Much happier.

Vasto

As someone that sent back two QN90As, I can tell you they are really good TVs. The reason why I returned both was due to terrible dirty screen effect and vertical banding. The nerfed local dimming in game mode is another downside. Still looks good though. Mixed and dark content can be an issue. The local dimming sometimes doesn't really know what to prioritize and leans on its native contrast to pick up the slack which can make the whole image look bland. Local dimming can lag behind too (even outside game mode). Despite those issues I may have kept it if it weren't for the terrible screen quality.

Hopped on the LG C1 train and never looked back. Much happier.

I will be lookin at the Quantum Dot OLEDs in 2022 for my next TV.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The Q80A is a crap buy, don't get it, it has like 32 zones but its an IPS panel so the Sony X90J with 24 zones and a VA panel is a better buy than it.

Even the QN85A with its insane dimming zone count is useless because of the IPS panel, the contrast is rubbish on both of them and I would avoid all Samsungs this year except the QN90/94/95A. I see it at work and the blooming from the internal demo is noticable on an ultra-lit shop floor, in a dark room it will be pants.

Even with all those zones I still wouldn't expect the QN90A to be anywhere near as impressive as an OLED in low light or challenging scenes, it will crush shadow/dark detail to nothing to avoid blooming whereas a decent OLED won't.

I know they get you worried with this "bright room" stuff but thats just bollocks because you can't watch HDR films properly in a lit room anyway, and some will be unwatchable even on the brightest sets in the world (SDR is awesome in a lit room on an OLED). Sure you can boost the gamma or other stupid things but its just reducing contrast and destroying the image to the point where you are removing one of the main benefits you get from such a high end set, ie high contrast via deep black level + high peak brightness. If you are watching HDR in a bright/lit room then just buy a midrange LCD instead.
The only reason I brought up a brightly lit room is the post reviving this thread specifically mentioned being in a bright room.

Also coming from extremely bright room with a moving glass wall during the day the QN90A looks stellar but indeed in the evenings I prefer the C9

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The only reason I brought up a brightly lit room is the post reviving this thread specifically mentioned being in a bright room.

Also coming from extremely bright room with a moving glass wall during the day the QN90A looks stellar but indeed in the evenings I prefer the C9

I simply picked it because its the best TV if you don't want to deal with burn in. I've dealt with burn in with my C7 so when people try to downplay it I just roll my eyes. If you use an OLED as a computer monitor you are going to get burn in. From the taskbar, wallpaper, or even something like your framerate counter.

Last edited:

It's not just the brightness that the QN90A excels at, it's the antireflecting screen. LG's OLED simply do not have the same antireflecting coating, but than again, if it had, it may end up negatively affecting picture quality. I find my C1 plenty bright, it's just that the screen is a literal black mirror. I think this is what lots of people are actually complaining about when it comes to OLED brightness.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's not just the brightness that the QN90A excels at, it's the antireflecting screen. LG's OLED simply do not have the same antireflecting coating, but than again, if it had, it may end up negatively affecting picture quality. I find my C1 plenty bright, it's just that the screen is a literal black mirror. I think this is what lots of people are actually complaining about when it comes to OLED brightness.
While I havent seen a C1 outside of a store I know my C9 just doesn't do well competing with the incoming natural light.

I see the QN90A had a price drop today as well.

Have still been putting the 90A through some tests and really becomes a pain in the ass only having 1 HDMI 2.1 slot

I really hate how non transparent these manufacturers have become with regards to lcd panel type. At this point, they should just list panel type on the box. And Samsung is definitely the worst offender here.

For this reason even the q80t with va panel shits on every QNxxA panel below 90… and even then some qn90a depending on region and size is ips or ads!

Reminds me of nvidia gt 1030 ddr4 vs gddr5 models lol list the tv as a different product, panel type is a HUGE deal.

Last edited:
While I havent seen a C1 outside of a store I know my C9 just doesn't do well competing with the incoming natural light.

I see the QN90A had a price drop today as well.

Have still been putting the 90A through some tests and really becomes a pain in the ass only having 1 HDMI 2.1 slot
I had lots of trouble trying to dial in the picture setting with the QN90A. Anyway, the issue with only having one "official" HDMI 2.1 port is a bit blown out problem. Every port is capable of 4K/120. Only the official 2.1 port can do 4K/120/HDR while the rest max out 4K/120 but not enough bandwidth for HDR at 120hz. As long as you're not playing at 120hz, you'll have enough bandwidth for 4k/60hz/HDR.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I had lots of trouble trying to dial in the picture setting with the QN90A. Anyway, the issue with only having one "official" HDMI 2.1 port is a bit blown out problem. Every port is capable of 4K/120. Only the official 2.1 port can do 4K/120/HDR while the rest max out 4K/120 but not enough bandwidth for HDR at 120hz. As long as you're not playing at 120hz, you'll have enough bandwidth for 4k/60hz/HDR.
Its only a pain because of having a PS5/Xbox Series X and my gaming PC hooked up to it all at once.

I think the UK models have the connect box that makes all 4 ports HDMI 2.1

Its only a pain because of having a PS5/Xbox Series X and my gaming PC hooked up to it all at once.

I think the UK models have the connect box that makes all 4 ports HDMI 2.1
I getcha. Samsung being annoying and cutting corners as usual. You want to charge OLED prices you better have full HDMI 2.1 support. Better yet, take a page out of Sony's book and do a better job vetting panels from OEM. Enough with the garbage screen quality.

ParaSeoul

I simply picked it because its the best TV if you don't want to deal with burn in. I've dealt with burn in with my C7 so when people try to downplay it I just roll my eyes. If you use an OLED as a computer monitor you are going to get burn in. From the taskbar, wallpaper, or even something like your framerate counter.
The newer ones have a lot more burn in prevention things in software but they also seem to have nerfed peak brightness even more,know a few people who upgraded from c8/c9 to cx/c1 and found it was a lot dimmer.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The newer ones have a lot more burn in prevention things in software but they also seem to have nerfed peak brightness even more,know a few people who upgraded from c8/c9 to cx/c1 and found it was a lot dimmer.

I mean what burn in prevention can you do for static images of a windows taskbar or a desktop wallpaper. The tech is what it is. When I look at Rtings' review of the C1 its the same as its always been about burn in. The perfect contrast is not worth the burn in risk on a damn near $3000 TV. My cousin is scared to even use a framerate counter while playing because of burn in fear.

Last edited:
I have a LG OLED C1 83", and it is the bees knees. Just waiting for an upgraded Onkyo receiver to be able to use 4k/120fps, and probably not VRR.

Type_Raver

Hi all, I've got an opportunity to get the last of the Panasonic plasma TV's which i have long admired - Panasonic P55VT60A

For those that have owned/played on one of these sets, what are your thoughts?

Reading up on it, game mode offers reasonably acceptable latency (but not near modern standards), though im not sure if its impacts image quality when enabled?
Also, its power hungry but i read that once tuned it can consume <200w. I can accept that, but how do you tune it to consume less? (thinking disable all options except game mode, of course).

Thanks.

Type_Raver

Type_Raver Type_Raver how many hours has it been used and how much are you paying?
I wouldn't know how many hours it's run, I'd have to message the seller. What's a good/bad number of hours? Price would be about 300 AUD.

As I write this, the sony w800b is increasingly growing on me. Good colours, excellent lag and low power consumption.

The appeal with the plasma it's performance in sub-native resolutions.

Top Bottom