• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Gaming TV?

I'm sorry, could you repeat what you said again? I'm talking about supporting pc graphics, didn't meant to look edgy with tech.
Okay, well, both LG OLED and Samsung televisions support Freesync and Gsync. I realize both may have some weird issues around firmware, but since they both have HDMI 2.1 there's shouldn't be any problems.

fart town usa

Gold Member
my first thought
iu

My second thought is, "they don't make plasma's anymore..."
Third thought is, "I don't know what HDR, 4k, or OLED stand for..."

I tried, lol

I went with LG CX 55 OLED since the new C1 doesn't offer anything super significant to warrant an extra $400. What I love about the OLED is obviously the picture quality is just amazing but as equally important to me:

Response Time:
80% Response Time - 0.3 ms
100% Response Time - 1.7 ms

Input Lag:
1080p @ 60Hz - 13.6 ms
1440p @ 60hz - 13.8 ms
4k @ 60hz - 13.5 ms

1080p @ 120Hz - 6.9 ms
1440p @ 120hz - 6.9 ms
4k @ 120hz - 6.7 ms

These numbers rival some of the best gaming monitors, but with that suburb picture quality.

EDIT: Not to mention its VRR, Nvidia and FreeSync Premium compatible just in case.
I do agree that if you can find a good deal on a CX, you should go for it. Just wanted to point out one aspect so many people are missing when it comes to the LG C1. Everyone that's been following the release of the C1 and G1 is well aware by now that they're the same panel. The G1 is probably cherry picked off the line for being slightly brighter due to whatever golden sample manufacturing reasons. I think they also use a different anti-reflective coating. Anyway, the point of the Evo panel is being 20% more efficient. This means for the same brightness as the CX (if not slightly better specular highlights) you're getting a panel that consumes less energy. This, in theory, means chances of burn-in are reduced thanks to less stress on the OLED material.

Time will tell on that I suppose. What most people don't realize is that OLED does not have a brightness problem. It has an efficiency problem. You can absolutely crank up OLED brightness to mini-led levels but then you'd kill the lifespan of the panel and cause all sorts of burn-in. I have a feeling if LG does continue to improve their OLED design, they're only ever going to increase the brightness ceiling if it also lowers power consumption.

HTK

Banned
I do agree that if you can find a good deal on a CX, you should go for it. Just wanted to point out one aspect so many people are missing when it comes to the LG C1. Everyone that's been following the release of the C1 and G1 is well aware by now that they're the same panel. The G1 is probably cherry picked off the line for being slightly brighter due to whatever golden sample manufacturing reasons. I think they also use a different anti-reflective coating. Anyway, the point of the Evo panel is being 20% more efficient. This means for the same brightness as the CX (if not slightly better specular highlights) you're getting a panel that consumes less energy. This, in theory, means chances of burn-in are reduced thanks to less stress on the OLED material.

Time will tell on that I suppose. What most people don't realize is that OLED does not have a brightness problem. It has an efficiency problem. You can absolutely crank up OLED brightness to mini-led levels but then you'd kill the lifespan of the panel and cause all sorts of burn-in. I have a feeling if LG does continue to improve their OLED design, they're only ever going to increase the brightness ceiling if it also lowers power consumption.

Personally, I'm not even that concerned about burn-in. So many folks have tested these TVs playing the same content for 3, 6, and 12 months with no burn-in. I'm not saying it can't happen, it can but it's not as bad as it used to be or what people make it out to be.

I know people are HIGH on brightness, I don't get it. Sometimes the image being to bright gives me a headache and doesn't seem natural reproduction of colors or accuracy. I view my content at 20% brightness which is good for the longevity of the OLED, only when I game is my brightness at 100%.

As I was saying about many reviews being "bought" in one way or another (like HDTVtest and co. being flown out by LG to various "events" cough cough), speak of the devil:

Simply cause they are not the best and they just can't accept it , just like other self proclaimed best brands like wd, asus and evga .

Last edited:
my first thought
iu

I tried, lol

I perhaps had this television, or something incredibly similar at one point in time. I'm guessing it was a main TV for a while, but then it somehow became a Dance Dance Revolution TV and was only ever used for that. The thing would build up electric charge, shock you to death, and would occasionally turn itself on or off, send weird lines across the TV; it was just scary interacting with it.

I'm happy with my Samsung 65Q70R (2019). It has low input lag, good brightness and color gamut in both SDR and HDR, and never gets burn-in. Unfortunately as with a lot of Samsung QLED's there's a bit of DSE but that's how it goes. I'll put up with a bit of DSE knowing that I can leave my computer sitting on the Windows desktop all day and night and not burn the taskbar into my 4K TV.

I'm interested in upgrading to Samsung Neo QLED (mini-LED) but I'll wait a few years for it to mature a bit. The first-gen Neo QLED's are already very good according to early reviews and it will only get better over time.

Last edited:
Does anyone here have the Samsung QN90A?

Still undecided as to which to go with. I could get a slightly more expensive LG C1, but I don't feel comfortable gaming long term without also purchasing an extended warrantee from Best Buy. Taxes and all will push a 55' into two grand (or over) territory and that's something I don't want. OLED picture quality is undeniable, though. I do also have a bright living room and a window that faces the TV. That plays a factor in leaning QN90A. Thoughts?

elliot5

Does anyone here have the Samsung QN90A?

Still undecided as to which to go with. I could get a slightly more expensive LG C1, but I don't feel comfortable gaming long term without also purchasing an extended warrantee from Best Buy. Taxes and all will push a 55' into two grand (or over) territory and that's something I don't want. OLED picture quality is undeniable, though. I do also have a bright living room and a window that faces the TV. That plays a factor in leaning QN90A. Thoughts?
Get the QN90A in your case.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not in the market for a new TV for another couple years, but my overall tips are:

- Costco for the 2 year concierge warranty + option dirt cheap extended warranty plan to 5 years for an extra $100

- Assuming the price isn't totally our of scope, you might as well try to future proof your TV with as many 4k/120/VRR HDMI 2.1 ports as possible (and affordable). Just because a TV says it has a great spec, it might be limited to just 1 of the 3 HDMI ports. The other 2 ports might be standard HDMI 2.0 ports

- As for going OLED, I can't offer advice as when I got my TV in 2017, OLEDs were just coming out and way too much. And I dont think think they had big OLEDs yet, since I wanted 65". They were just too much 4 years ago too so I didn't even give them a sniff, but I'm going to assume they are affordable now. But when I browse the tv section at Costco now, the OLED picture quality on display is awesome. The blacks do pop. Next time I get a TV I'm going to check OLEDs

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As I was saying about many reviews being "bought" in one way or another (like HDTVtest and co. being flown out by LG to various "events" cough cough), speak of the devil:

Nah HU are controversy seekers.
Lg is legit great when it comes to tvs and monitors

Last edited:
I'm not in the market for a new TV for another couple years, but my overall tips are:

- Costco for the 2 year concierge warranty + option dirt cheap extended warranty plan to 5 years for an extra $100

- Assuming the price isn't totally our of scope, you might as well try to future proof your TV with as many 4k/120/VRR HDMI 2.1 ports as possible (and affordable). Just because a TV says it has a great spec, it might be limited to just 1 of the 3 HDMI ports. The other 2 ports might be standard HDMI 2.0 ports

- As for going OLED, I can't offer advice as when I got my TV in 2017, OLEDs were just coming out and way too much. And I dont think think they had big OLEDs yet, since I wanted 65". They were just too much 4 years ago too so I didn't even give them a sniff, but I'm going to assume they are affordable now. But when I browse the tv section at Costco now, the OLED picture quality on display is awesome. The blacks do pop. Next time I get a TV I'm going to check OLEDs
I notice the warranty says 3-5 years. Which one is it? Once I added an LG OLED to the cart it automatically added the $100 warranty plan. Does it cover burn-in on OLED?

MrS

Banned
Nah HU are controversy seekers.
Lg is legit great when it comes to tvs and monitors
True, but they do send out an awful lot of free stuff to influencers. They're the most active doing this in the TV space for sure.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I notice the warranty says 3-5 years. Which one is it? Once I added an LG OLED to the cart it automatically added the $100 warranty plan. Does it cover burn-in on OLED?
The only 2 I know of that are 3rd party in the US are best buy and CPS at buy dig. I wouldn't trust CPS at all. The way I see it buy a OLED you just need to figure in 3 year replacement or BB warranty unless you get the new G series but that doesn't cover labor. I also have zero trust in LG.

Ywap

I´ve said it before and i´ll say it again: IMO: If you want the best possible iq with the best possible motion handling that can be had today nothing can touch Oled with black frame insertion enabled (y)

If you decide to buy an Lcd instead just be sure not to visit your friend who has an Oled :pie_drooling:

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I´ve said it before and i´ll say it again: IMO: If you want the best possible iq with the best possible motion handling that can be had today nothing can touch Oled with black frame insertion enabled (y)

If you decide to buy an Lcd instead just be sure not to visit your friend who has an Oled :pie_drooling:
I don't think it's a night and day difference anymore between high-end QLEDs and OLEDs these days, I switch fine between my CX and Q950T on a daily basis.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It really all depends on your needs.
If you are not using your TV as a PC monitor or anything that is risky about burnin Then those LG CX or C are awesome.

If the sun hits your TV too hard those 4K samsung like the Q90T have great anti reflect filters (Just check which models support hdmi2.1 but it's a quick search)

If you can't use an Oled because of burnin risks then the Sony Xh9096 is a more budget friendly TV that seems to have a great picture quality but you just need to wait for VRR compatibility.

And for all of you, if you like the ambilight system from philips you can use the philips hue play that are fixated behind your TV (don't forget to buy a bridge if you do not already have one and for the console you will need an HDMI adapter that are too expensive) for PC you juqt need the bridge and a app and it works really well.

jaysius

Banned
48 inch 4k tvs are hilarious, you'll need to be using it as a monitor to really see the full effect of 4k.

You'll have to be seated 40inches away for 4k to matter at all.

That's pretty generous too because it's marketing wank to sell tvs, the old scale is still true that the real effects of a 1080p picture doesn't really make any impact until 50+ inches.

More accurate:
optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Dude my LG C (something) OLED tv from 2019 is an awesome 4K PC monitor. No PS5 but would imagine it’s gonna be great for that too.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I am looking for a cheap 50 inch TV for mainly gaming an watching movies.
What are you planning to game on for this TV? New consoles? PC?

Either way, check out the TCL 6 Series (or 5 series with less features, but cheaper). Note though, that right now prices on these TVs seems to be insane. I have the TCL 6 Series from last year (which is continuing this year I think) and it's about $200 more than when I got mine.

elliot5

I am looking for a cheap 50 inch TV for mainly gaming an watching movies.
Best Buy: LG 49" Class NanoCell 85 Series LED 4K UHD Smart webOS TV 49NANO85UNA

Cheapest 2.1 HDMI TV at around 50 inches as far as I can tell. 4k 120 HDR, allegedly with VRR support. If you can find it Open Box locally at least. Doesn't seem to be on sale anymore.

It is an IPS panel though so contrast and black levels won't be great. If you want a better TV all around you would be getting in to the Hisense H9G at 55 inches (700-750) or maybe a Sony X80J at 50 inch (700) if you don't care for HDMI 2.1 features.

Xeaker

What are you planning to game on for this TV? New consoles? PC?

Either way, check out the TCL 6 Series (or 5 series with less features, but cheaper). Note though, that right now prices on these TVs seems to be insane. I have the TCL 6 Series from last year (which is continuing this year I think) and it's about $200 more than when I got mine.

PS4, Switch, PS5
What about this TV? It cost 470€

Samsung 55 "Q60T 4K UHD QLED Smart TV QE55Q60TAU​

R6Rider

Gold Member
PS4, Switch, PS5
What about this TV? It cost 470€

Samsung 55 "Q60T 4K UHD QLED Smart TV QE55Q60TAU​

That TV isn't too bad. Although on rtings.com they gave it a lower score in basically every category compared to the TCL. The newer version (Q60A) got similar scores.

It lacks any local dimming, has no VRR option, and has much worse peak HDR brightness. It does have really low input lag, but at the same time has mediocre response time.

I'd compare them on rtings and do further research to see which one you would rather have.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

After about 2 weeks with the 75” TCL R635 I can say this is an awesome TV for gaming. It took me a solid week of trying different settings to get it calibrated right. Note that it does not have HDMI 2.1, but can still do 1440 p 120hz and 4K 60 with VRR and HDR. It’s priced right as I got it for 1600 with a 2 year extended warranty. If you need brightness that the OLED TVs just can’t provide, need Dolby Vision that for some reason Samsung refuses to support, and want VRR that Sony has promised but failed so far to deliver, check it out.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I was thinking about getting a 55" LG Nanocell TV with 120 hz, Is that a good TV? It's on sale for about $750.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

I was thinking about getting a 55" LG Nanocell TV with 120 hz, Is that a good TV? It's on sale for about $750.
They are very average TVs. IPS panels don’t get too bright, but have great viewing angles. Are you looking at the 2021 models?

if you are going the Nanocell route, go for the 2021 90 model. But there are better TVs for the money.

Last edited:
Get the QN90A in your case.

The Samsung performs brilliantly, luminescent bright and colourful. No need for curtains!

Done and done. 55' Samsung QN90A showcasing a replay of Hotshot Racing.

Have what seems to be a slight banding in the top left corner and average DSE with this set. Not exactly thrilled. The intensity of it seems to have dissipated through use, though. Don't think I've seen it outside of the DSE test. I still have time to think about an exchange but don't know if it's worth it. Despite that I'm still enjoying my time with the set. Colors and contrast are amazing!

Hezekiah

Banned
The Samsung Q90R has an excellent gaming mode, and is apparently better than any of the 2020 4k Samsung TVs, due to the number of dimming zones.

It has HDMI 2.0b and supports 4k 120hz via a firmware update.

The Samsung Q90R has an excellent gaming mode, and is apparently better than any of the 2020 4k Samsung TVs, due to the number of dimming zones.

It has HDMI 2.0b and supports 4k 120hz via a firmware update.
Personally I wouldn’t get the q90r for gaming as it has really really gimped local dimming in game mode that was improved on the q90t despite having fewer zones. Not like you could find a new one anyways, and it’s 65” minimum in the states.

But I picked up my qn90a late last night, going to set it up tonight and see if it’s a clean panel, I’m very excited!

Hezekiah

Banned
Personally I wouldn’t get the q90r for gaming as it has really really gimped local dimming in game mode that was improved on the q90t despite having fewer zones. Not like you could find a new one anyways, and it’s 65” minimum in the states.

But I picked up my qn90a late last night, going to set it up tonight and see if it’s a clean panel, I’m very excited!
I've never used a 9N90A, but one of the reasons I bought the Q90R was because RTINGS rated it as having excellent performance in any usage, and having had the TV for over a year now, I think gaming mode is great. Sometimes numbers on a spec sheet don't tell the full story. Real world usage of a properly calibrated set tells all.

reinking

Gold Member
my first thought
iu

I tried, lol
I went to buy that TV back in the day and ended up with a Toshiba that sat next to it on the display. The Toshiba had a better picture. I still have it for older consoles.

I've never used a 9N90A, but one of the reasons I bought the Q90R was because RTINGS rated it as having excellent performance in any usage, and having had the TV for over a year now, I think gaming mode is great. Sometimes numbers on a spec sheet don't tell the full story. Real world usage of a properly calibrated set tells all.
Well i'm just going by other's findings and also VT of HDTVtest pointed out the gimped local dimming of the Q90R in his Q90T review :

And yeah it's not going to look as bad as it does in the video, just pointing out the differences.

Not saying it was a bad tv, just that for gaming picture quality there were better out there. For input lag it was great. But when you can get much better black level from a 32 zone Sony X900e there's a problem.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Well i'm just going by other's findings and also VT of HDTVtest pointed out the gimped local dimming of the Q90R in his Q90T review :

And yeah it's not going to look as bad as it does in the video, just pointing out the differences.

Not saying it was a bad tv, just that for gaming picture quality there were better out there. For input lag it was great. But when you can get much better black level from a 32 zone Sony X900e there's a problem.

So he's talking about the Q95T which came out a year later, but even here overall in his comparison he says the Q95T "largely held its own" due to the hardware downgrades that were made to the Q95T which isn't exactly compelling.

In terms of game mode he says the Q95T is punchier, (more pop and depth) which I don't doubt, but that doesn't mean the Q90R is "gimped" that's just massively over-egging it imo. He doesn't even stress a significant difference here. As I say, you need to actually use the game mode in the real world rather than just throwing terms around like that because my picture is nowhere near as dull as the one in the video - but again I have my own calibration, in a different environment, and the Q90R has had several firmware updates since it was released.

Never seen a Sony X900e, but if we're going by RTINGS they gave the X900e an 8.3 for gaming and for movie performance, whereas the Q90R scored 8.7 and 8.4. The Q90T (couldn't find the Q95T) for reference scored 8.5 and 8.4.

So he's talking about the Q95T which came out a year later, but even here overall in his comparison he says the Q95T "largely held its own" due to the hardware downgrades that were made to the Q95T which isn't exactly compelling.

In terms of game mode he says the Q95T is punchier, (more pop and depth) which I don't doubt, but that doesn't mean the Q90R is "gimped" that's just massively over-egging it imo. He doesn't even stress a significant difference here. As I say, you need to actually use the game mode in the real world rather than just throwing terms around like that because my picture is nowhere near as dull as the one in the video - but again I have my own calibration, in a different environment, and the Q90R has had several firmware updates since it was released.

Never seen a Sony X900e, but if we're going by RTINGS they gave the X900e an 8.3 for gaming and for movie performance, whereas the Q90R scored 8.7 and 8.4. The Q90T (couldn't find the Q95T) for reference scored 8.5 and 8.4.
Ever done a DSE test? How's your Q90R look?

Rikkori

Sorry bro, you got scammed. The Q90R has trash LD in game mode, calibration has nothing to do with it. Unless you play in movie mode & are ok with the horrendous input lag you basically paid premium for a budget experience. In the future absolutely DO NOT listen to RTINGS, they are good for some measurement info but the rest of their site & thinking is pure trash. Sadly that means you'll have to comb through user reviews on AVSForums & other reputable review sites for a full picture of how the TVs really do but most don't examine gaming properly, that's why user tests are so important.

UseAICz.jpg

b0uncyfr0

Most will say an OLED but wont ask how bright your room is - that's ultimately the deciding factor. If youre in a dark env or it never get's bright, new OLED's are good (but HDR will be just OK and there's burn-in). If it's bright , then go for a QLED (Samsung's Neo QLED's are really good but expensive atm).

Ofc, read up on each model you like on avs forums to find its flaws before purchasing - there's always something they're shit at.

Hezekiah

Banned
Sorry bro, you got scammed. The Q90R has trash LD in game mode, calibration has nothing to do with it. Unless you play in movie mode & are ok with the horrendous input lag you basically paid premium for a budget experience. In the future absolutely DO NOT listen to RTINGS, they are good for some measurement info but the rest of their site & thinking is pure trash. Sadly that means you'll have to comb through user reviews on AVSForums & other reputable review sites for a full picture of how the TVs really do but most don't examine gaming properly, that's why user tests are so important.

UseAICz.jpg
Yes those pics are from the video I responded to and they don't represent the IQ I'm getting or any other Q90R owners I've spoken to online, in fact they even look lower res and blurry. I watched HDTV Test Q90R review aswell before buying.

Thanati

Sorry for the potentially dumb question but is there a danger of burn in with oled tv’s?

What’s people’s experience with this, if any?
Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom