• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good lord, 1999 had a game for EVERYONE. How did anyone choose their Christmas present back then?

Romulus

wtf happened to the developers that made these types of games? The market is so saturated with bullshit now. Most of these games were just incredible with no option for patches.

JordanN

Banned
wtf happened to the developers that made these types of games? The market is so saturated with bullshit now. Most of these games were just incredible with no option for patches.
Some of these developers are still around. But they've gotten lazy, greedy or straight up don't care.

Like Gamefreak is still the same studio that released Pokemon Gold & Silver. Yet 20 years later and they still struggle to make 3D games that look or play better than a PS2.

Or Electronic Arts changed their business model to focus on selling lootboxes over good gameplay.

Basically, it didn't matter how much hardware has gotten more powerful over the last few decades, if developers only ended up making no fun games or have become really incompetent with it.

Last edited:
1996 tho.

YBTYnEf.png

What does that chart tell me if I'm of the opinion that, overall, games got worse and worse after 2005 or so?

Also, Quake 3 Arena :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Edit: Are games these days so different because development costs have gone through the roof? I'm still trying to understand.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Op added tron bonne on that list, i like him.
Tron is best girl.

It was also a generation where we had 3 Mega Man series releasing at the same time.

Mega Man, Mega Man X and Mega Man Legends.
Now a days, we're lucky to even get one new game at all...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Tron is best girl.

It was also a generation where we had 3 Mega Man series releasing at the same time,

Mega Man, Mega Man X and Mega Man Legends. Now a days, we're lucky to even get one new game....
I never played the 2 megaman 3d but tron bonne was such a charming little game.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
When you list their games, before they became Studio Liverpool, they were one of the most talented developers who had hit after hit -

Lemmings series
Shadow Of The Beast series
G-Police series
Colony Wars series
Wipeout series
Destruction Derby series
Formula 1 series

Amazing.
Lemmings was DMA design with Psygnosis as publisher. DMA design then made a little game that didn’t really go anywhere but I liked it - Grand Theft Auto. It’s a shame it didn’t get more recognition really.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I’m a little bit sad that we’ll never see those days again, but I guess that’s what nostalgia does to you. I still enjoy reading the games magazines of the era, and find myself truly staggered at how many games each issue contains that are legit classics. In a way the late 90s is for games what the 70s is for film.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I’m a little bit sad that we’ll never see those days again, but I guess that’s what nostalgia does to you. I still enjoy reading the games magazines of the era, and find myself truly staggered at how many games each issue contains that are legit classics. In a way the late 90s is for games what the 70s is for film.
I haven't looked at, say, last year's line up, but is it just nostalgia? Is there the same wide variety of quality games in the 2019 list or any from 2015 onwards?

The rise of the AAA and Games As A Service have definitely done something to the idea of games as they were then.

Orta

Banned
Bought a good few of the OP titles that year, I'd assume Tomb Raider TLR was a gift from Santa.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't looked at, say, last year's line up, but is it just nostalgia? Is there the same wide variety of quality games in the 2019 list or any from 2015 onwards?

The rise of the AAA and Games As A Service have definitely done something to the idea of games as they were then.
To be clear I’m not saying it’s inaccurate - nostalgia in this case comes from truth. There are still some wonderful games like Kingdom Come Deliverance and Disco Elysium (though the latter owes a lot to Planescape Torment) but the volume and variety just isn’t there now.

BootsLoader

Banned
That year I had nothing for Christmas present. My parents had many problems with their finances so I had to understand. And because I was still a kid could not afford a present for me. But I remember a friend bought games for Nintendo 64 and one of them had the expansion pack included, he already had one so he gave that expansion pack to me. I could finally play Majoras mask and Perfect dark on my console. That was enough for me to be happy 😁😁😁.

Top Bottom