• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good samaritan helping lost toddler gets punched by father, labeled predator online

The old lost baby trick? Not today.

980Jqz.gif

The first thing I thought of.

Pizza

Jesus Christ if I was the father I can't say I wouldn't act so rashly but in the event I just annihilated a dude trying to help my daughter I'd pay for whatever damage I did to his face and buy him a drink, at the very least

Ganhyun

Glad the little girl is ok, but fuck the father, his family, and their friends for purposely still trying to ruin the guy's life even after it was discovered the guy was just trying to help.

Damn, that's fucked up. All this dad did is discourage people from helping kids who look to be in potential danger.

Off topic, this reminds me of that Chapelle stand up bit with the baby out in the projects.

Shoeless

Moral of the story- Never help strangers.

China vindicated.

I would imagine that there are, in fact, some people in China today that may have read this news story and congratulated themselves on not being chumps, so... yeah. This really does reinforce a certain mindset that helping out strangers just leaves you open to being a victim.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My wife has this happen before with a puppy. She saw a puppie running around free. No one we could see in sight so she called it over to her, looked for tags, and was going to post on our neighborhood social site about the dog, the. Suddenly a lady comes running out of an apartment building a good 100ft+ away, screaming at my wife to get away from her dog -_-

kmax

The man did the right thing in trying to help the poor child find her parents.

The father is a delusional asshole that needed to wait until the facts came in from the cops instead of becoming a vigilante punk.

Z O N E

This is why it's hard to help people sometimes because you just don't know what will happen to YOU.

My friend found a lost kid once and he phoned the police, told them his name, where he found the child. Then they told him to stay with the child and ask around while waiting for the police.

These days you don't know how some people will react to a good samaritan.

I had something similar happen to me. I was in Barned and Noble on my lunch break, and was reading a magazine, when i saw a little girl walking around crying. I watched her for a few minutes. After seeing no parents were coming, i asked her if she knew where her parents were. Of course she didnt know so i took her to customer service desk and asked them to page the parents. Right as the clerk was about to get on the PA, hysterical mother comes up swinging at me that i was trying to kidnap her child. She called the police and everything. Was handcuffed and questioned. The employees knew me and tried telling her and the police i wouldnt do a thing. Eventually they pulled footage and confirmed i took her straight to the customer service desk.

Didnt even get an apology from either of them.

Sorry it may be cold, but fuck that. You cant keep an eye on your kids, i stuck my neck out for the last time.

Damn son

Yeah, as a minority dude I'm only helping a kid who looks almost like me, at least in the States lol

Eusis

This is why it's hard to help people sometimes because you just don't know what will happen to YOU.

My friend found a lost kid once and he phoned the police, told them his name, where he found the child. Then they told him to stay with the child and ask around while waiting for the police.

These days you don't know how some people will react to a good samaritan.
That's something to keep in mind actually. If the police are called first while you help the child then when/if they come they CAN vouch for being contacted about the child first. Might be a little extreme in some circumstances though, you can probably avoid that in a store or mall at least by guiding them to an employee who can call for help.

Pandy

I've been in a couple of similar situations, thankfully only for a minute or two before the parents were found.

Both times the very first thing I did was start talking to the adults around me and got at least one other to help me (they were worried about the kid too, but not sure what to do about it yet).
That way someone's got your back, and one of you can go looking for the parent quickly without having to negotiate with the kid to follow you, as the other one can keep an eye on the kid.

Without having people around to back me up? I'd probably call the cops instantly, because as an adult male it just isn't worth taking chances with stressed parents who will be feeling guilty about losing sight of their kid and looking for someone else to blame.

Hissing Sid

First step is, ring the Police say you have found a 2 year old lost, wait for Police. That simple.

Do the police have teleportation devices that enable them to instantaneously arrive at the scene?

Telephone calls take time. Police response takes time.

What if the 2 year old decides to wander into the road while we're all standing around waiting for the police to arrive because we're too scared to help? Do we just let the kid play real life Crossy Road?

It's not simple.

The guy did the right thing.

The Dad is obviously a fuckwit.

Edited to add :

I've been in similar situations a couple of times when I've come across lost children in supermarkets and I've always alerted a member of staff or if one is not immediately available taken the child to customer services.

Fuck not helping due to the possibility of an ignorant parent getting the wrong idea. They lost their kid and I'm supposed to give a flying fuck about their opinion of my character?

Yeah no, the safety of the child comes first and foremost.

Do the police have teleportation devices that enable them to instantaneously arrive at the scene?

Telephone calls take time. Police response takes time.

What if the 2 year old decides to wander into the road while we're all standing around waiting for the police to arrive because we're too scared to help? Do we just let the kid play real life Crossy Road?

It's not simple.

The guy did the right thing.

The Dad is obviously a fuckwit.

Edited to add :

I've been in similar situations a couple of times when I've come across lost children in supermarkets and I've always alerted a member of staff or if one is not immediately available taken the child to customer services.

Fuck not helping due to the possibility of an ignorant parent getting the wrong idea. They lost their kid and I'm supposed to give a flying fuck about their opinion of my character?

Yeah no, the safety of the child comes first and foremost.
The respondent will give the person calling instructions on what to do while waiting for them to arrive though.

Not saying the dude didn't do the right thing. Thing's would definitely be better off though if he'd notified somebody else and asked for help looking for the parents, or even better, calling the police and following their directions.

Hissing Sid

The respondent will give the person calling instructions on what to do while waiting for them to arrive though.

Not saying the dude didn't do the right thing. Thing's would definitely be better off though if he'd notified somebody else and asked for help looking for the parents, or even better, calling the police and following their directions.

Circumstances allowing sure but...

Toddler heading towards supermarket exit?

Toddler wandering free next to a road?

Immediate action required for the child's safety? I'd say so.

Time for a telephone call to the plods for further instructions? Probably not.

Like I said it's not simple, there are a hundred scenarios.

Shredderi

And the father is just doubling down even after everything was explained? Goddamn what a fucking cunt fucko. Guy deserves to get his fucking ass kicked.

akira28

The first thing I thought of.

lol, I should start watching that show. They hit on so many of the tiny details so perfectly.

In the few times I've had to warden over a stranger child, I did it from a distance, and also gave mom one hell of a judgmental look when she finally did show up.

lol, if it was dad that showed up, and wanted to fight? ugh...Florida, not even once.

Shaanyboi

Banned
And this is why, no matter what, you should keep a wide fucking distance from kids that aren't your own and aren't with their parents. Because frankly this exact shit happens frequently enough that the idea of helping a lost kid could potentially ruin your life.

What a wonderful world...

akira28

And this is why, no matter what, you should keep a wide fucking distance from kids that aren't your own and aren't with their parents. Because frankly this exact shit happens frequently enough that the idea of helping a lost kid could potentially ruin your life.

What a wonderful world...

I will always save a kid, but I would hate to have to kick their dad's ass afterward.

and I'm loud as fuck "OY!! is that yer kid?! nah? ok." (although I do honestly run off to freedom as soon as the first woman comes up and does the nurturing "where's your mom" whatevers. I'm not asking her for ID or anything... female kidnappers would probably fool me easily)

3N16MA

Banned
Parents lose track of their 2 year old daughter and the father goes ballistic in order to cover up his shortcomings as a parent.

"He was trying to kidnap my daughter! I didn't lose track of her!"

Kusagari

Yeah, I might sound callous here but I don't care if the kid is dying.

For all you know the father that accuses you of being a pedophile after you save their kid might pull out a gun and shoot you.

Had a few nasty exchanges with a parent when something like this happens. I remember once I was in a bookstore and I was standing there reading the jacket of one of them when I feel my pant leg being tugged on. I look down and there's this tiny little girl standing there looking up at me and holding on to my pant leg. I looked down the aisles and didn't see anybody, then started speaking really loudly just in case: "Hi! Where's your mommy and daddy?" while holding the book the entire time and never even crouching over. I couldn't even really move because I probably would've made her fall while she was holding on to my jeans, and then I'd be alone in an aisle with a crying little girl.

5 minutes later a mom comes from around the corner and doesn't even walk up, she stands at the end of the aisle and tells her kid to "come here NOW" while giving me a death stare. Not a sorry, not a thank you, nothing. Just venom.

Dalek

Cmon dude that father needs to be sued. This is ridiculous.

Since his name is online someone should try to ruin his life instead. Just a shit person.

Keri

Had a few nasty exchanges with a parent when something like this happens. I remember once I was in a bookstore and I was standing there reading the jacket of one of them when I feel my pant leg being tugged on. I look down and there's this tiny little girl standing there looking up at me and holding on to my pant leg. I looked down the aisles and didn't see anybody, then started speaking really loudly just in case: "Hi! Where's your mommy and daddy?" while holding the book the entire time and never even crouching over. I couldn't even really move because I probably would've made her fall while she was holding on to my jeans, and then I'd be alone in an aisle with a crying little girl.

5 minutes later a mom comes from around the corner and doesn't even walk up, she stands at the end of the aisle and tells her kid to "come here NOW" while giving me a death stare. Not a sorry, not a thank you, nothing. Just venom.

If it makes you feel better, there's a decent chance the venom was directed more towards the kid, for wandering away. If the mom thought you were dangerous she would have swooped to get the kid herself.

If it makes you feel better, there's a decent chance the venom was directed more towards the kid, for wandering away. If the mom thought you were dangerous she would have swooped to get the kid herself.

Yeah, maybe. Just didn't look that way from the way she was glowering at me.

Chumly

That father needs to go to fucking prison and charged with a felony. I'm sorry but someone needs to learn a lesson. He should be charged with assault and child endangerment.

FUME5

Father is the type of dumb shit who justifies everything as 'for his family' and then treats them like shit behind closed doors.

Keri

Yeah, maybe. Just didn't look that way from the way she was glowering at me.

Just the way you described it, gives me flash backs to being a kid. It's that: "Do not make me walk over there and get you again child" vibe. If I were the mom I would have apologized for my child poking at you, though.

Sue the ever living shit out of that father.

I can understand the mistake, but not even owning up or apologizing then sharing this dudes picsl online just makes the father a douchebag and deserves whatever legal action gets taken against him.

Sue the ever living shit out of that father.

I can understand the mistake, but not even owning up or apologizing then sharing this dudes picsl online just makes the father a douchebag and deserves whatever legal action gets taken against him.

Good chance you end up making it worse for yourself.

A lot of this is in thanks to 24/7 news channels and over the last 15 or whatever years garbage people like Nancy Grace. I probably wouldn't help some stranger's kid either unless if it was immediately life or death and still I might be hesitant. Hopefully there'd be a woman near by who hopefully isn't a predator but at least she probably wouldn't be automatically seen as such.

Stories like this make me extremely sad. I remember one time when I was the crying little kid who got lost. Family went to a store, and my brother had asked my parents if he could go to the toy section. I tagged along with him, but he eventually ditched my ass like every good brother.

An older black lady approached me while I was walking around and crying and asked if I was lost. We went to the check-out area of the store and stood there waiting. She'd ask me if the people walking by were either my mom/dad. Eventually my mom comes up running in a panic and thanks the woman. I was probably four or five at the time, but I've never forgotten the woman who helped me.

If that had happened today instead that poor woman probably would've had the cops called on her.
Nah... Women regardless of race generally aren't automatically flagged as predators.

CryptiK

Key reason I wont help lost kids. Happened just yesterday in thr supermarket, crying etc walked right past(their mum found them later), sorry not risking this bullshit because of some shitty parents.

Top Bottom