• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goodbye Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Would it make sense to get AC now, since everyone is about to quit that game?

Chopper's a great guy but he's not "everyone." The game still has an active community here on GAF (slowly inching towards OT6) and an even larger one outside GAF with new members joining all the time.

zigg

I can attest to this. I spent quite a lot of time getting my villagers to place their house just where I want them to and it looks awesome. I made a little residential district with all my villagers grouped together
Next game needs zoning. I can understand why people do this but it would drive me crazy, so I have just let the chips fall where they may.

As long as you get in before they announce the Wii U one.
I don't think this game really belongs on consoles. The GamePad would help a little but in a family, console-based Animal Crossing is really obsolete.

Chopper

Next game needs zoning. I can understand why people do this but it would drive me crazy, so I have just let the chips fall where they may.

I don't think this game really belongs on consoles. The GamePad would help a little but in a family, console-based Animal Crossing is really obsolete.
Agreed. For the next installment they need to have a good look at house and PWP placement. Limitations need to be more transparent, and if you're gonna be mayor again, you'd better have legitimate control over where neighbours can move in.

And as far as a Wii U version goes, unless I can import my entire town, house and catalogue into it, i'm not really interested. I was excited for City Folk until I realised I couldn't take my unorderable stuff with me.

I hope the next one we can link to another person's village and allows you to visit their village whenever you want. As long as vandalism can't happen and there's a data log of who visted etc XD

Oh and allow us to stop villagers moving even when they are packing, maybe make it possible when you have a high enough friendship at least.

35 full days on one game? I mean, games can be fun but uh...

The most I spent was 100 hours and that was Super Paper Mario (lol don't ask how).

Gsnap

It would be nice if in the next game you had at least a little control over where people moved in. Also it would be nice if your town was just plain bigger. I really didn't like the fact that certain shops had to be put in my town and take up space that could be used for other things. But at the same time, I did like how my coffee shop was next to a cliff and surrounded by flowers and trees. So just make the towns bigger and that should solve that problem. Maybe allow you to expand the size of your town like you can expand the size of your house.

Chopper

The only question I have is whether or not you had a physical or digital copy. If it's the latter, would you have played it as much if you didn't have the convenience of not having to switch carts?
Digital. To be honest, apart from Pokemon, I've played very little else on my 3DS this year. I have DKCR 3D, Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi and Zelda(!) sat unopened on my shelf! So in response to your question, yes, and I don't think I would have removed that cart very often.

I'm about to start the game! Just picked it up today!
Amazing. Have fun!

jg4xchamp

Respect. I have no affinity for that series (I have the opposite of affinity for that series), but I can relate to the rest of it. When life is not exactly roses, escapism is clutch.

Kouriozan

I remember being super active in the first OT (with the "lewd" stuff) then my mother also got the game and I disappeared :(
I feel bad for quitting communities like that, it already happened for Monster Hunter 3 U and recently Mario Golf/Kart.
Sorry Philia >.<

Chopper

Respect. I have no affinity for that series (I have the opposite of affinity for that series), but I can relate to the rest of it. When life is not exactly roses, escapism is clutch.
Exactly. It does seem easier to articulate through New Leaf though. It's a very... therapeutic game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wish I fell in love with the game as much as a the hardcore people like the topic creator. The problem is that the need for bells gets higher and higher and at some point, grinding for those beetles on that island stops being fun.

That said, it was fun to check in once a day when I did play it often.

Chopper

I wish I fell in love with the game as much as a the hardcore people like the topic creator. The problem is that the need for bells gets higher and higher and at some point, grinding for those beetles on that island stops being fun.

That said, it was fun to check in once a day when I did play it often.
There are lots more ways to make bells than grinding island beetles. I barely did that at all. I would have given you shitload of bells for an item I wanted...

dani_dc

Glad you got your money worth out of the game OP!

I played it for about an hour or two daily for a little over a month before realizing I was just doing the same stuff over and over and it was affecting the amount of time I had to play other games.

That's about the same experience I've had with the series so far (New Leaf included).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are lots more ways to make bells than grinding island beetles. I barely did that at all. I would have given you shitload of bells for an item I wanted...
Yeah, I just didn't play the social game. Reading about the "stalk market" and how people were trying to invest in turnips and whatnot was just something I didn't really want to get into...

And of course, I got to the point where I ran out of room in my house and the musuem, so I just started littering my island with items and clothes because I had no where to put it because I couldn't afford any more upgrades. lol

As others have said, you should be able to find active communities around the web. In my instance, I mainly played myself, only using the online community to make millions on turnips which I stopped after I got filthy rich. It's stressful worrying about making a loss on your turnips. I used to buy so many, enough to fill every single spot I had to hold them.

Zing

Banned
Yeah, I just didn't play the social game. Reading about the "stalk market" and how people were trying to invest in turnips and whatnot was just something I didn't really want to get into...

And of course, I got to the point where I ran out of room in my house and the musuem, so I just started littering my island with items and clothes because I had no where to put it because I couldn't afford any more upgrades. lol

Why keep all that stuff if you are never going to use it? I cycle through furniture and clothes and just sell things I don't plan on using again (or for a while, can just reorder from catalog). I see no need to keep dozens of useless items.

Props to you for being able to let go. I said that and put it down for a few months and when I came back to it, I visited my town of Mt. Zion on a daily basis, all over again. I was consumed as though I had never stepped away. I was saddened to see some of my favorite villagers had moved on and left my town.

I have put in 442 hours and 49 minutes and I have still not been able to grow blue roses, nor have I completed my town to my likeness. I don't think I will ever have my town the way I want it and, although I looked up tutorials, it seems like I will never get my blue roses!

When would it not make sense to get AC:NL? It's a magical game that will nestle its way into your heart and soul and NOT let go for a very long long while. There are always people playing, so it is truly never too late. Plus, if you just played by yourself, you will still feel complete, since the game has so much to offer its player.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
sPlcqqL.jpg
secret shame

Neo C.

I'm still in my town everyday, those damn flowers!

Btw, I've recently made a second character, now I can even buy more stuff. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why keep all that stuff if you are never going to use it? I cycle through furniture and clothes and just sell things I don't plan on using again (or for a while, can just reorder from catalog). I see no need to keep dozens of useless items.
Well, it's stuff like the unique items and the fortune cookie prizes that you can't get again.

That and I got into keeping clothes because of that style challenge. But that's about when I stopped playing the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As someone who has also put down the game recently (though maybe I'll consider going back to it again in the future, and will make sure to visit your dream town) you'll feel a great deal of relief from not having to check it everyday.

Still one of the best game communities I've been a part of. The great thing was everyone was aiming to do different things and as a result all were willing to help each other achieve their goals. Since mine was mostly decorating homes I reached my point of satisfaction a bit quicker than others. Covering half my town in a giant Union Jack made of flowers was probably my big achievement since that required a lot of flower grinding, especially those infamous blue roses.

And yet despite all the time spent in the game I still never received the gold watering can. ;)

Seeing the time broken down into full days reminds me that Reggie's most palyed 3DS game when someone managed to fungle their maths and thought he was playing Animal Crossing for 14 hours a day. Oh what they hey:
No. Stupid.

First played 4/26 2013
Last Played: 10/24 2013

6 months = about 180 days = about 4320 hours.

4320 h / 300 h = 14.4 hours per day.

No wonder Nintendo is doing so bad these days.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lewd vs Prude was an awesome time and I made so many friends on here during that period. <3
Knowing that this would eventually lead to me being mention of Kotaku was quite the achievement.

Just wait until they make a "Pokémon Crossing" with Pokémon characters as townspeople alongside the AC villagers, and featuring quests you can take up outside your village to recruit ("catch") more villagers, as well as find more furniture, bells, etc.
Funny thing about that Pokémon comic is that New Leaf basically hindered my Pokémon playing because I found it a pain to balance the two. When I finally took a break from New Leaf I got round to beating the Elite Four... two weeks ago. Yes, it took my NINE months to beat Pokémon X.

Awesome post. FYI, I showed it to the director of the game (she's an old friend), and she said she's gonna visit your town via dream suite. So, one last achievement to add to your list. :) Thanks for sharing!
Wow. This is awesome!

Dream Suite is probably the one area I can see them improving things with a Wii U version but I still hesitant as to whether I'd get back into the game again, especially as it was so easy to play on a handheld.

Zing

Banned
Well, it's stuff like the unique items and the fortune cookie prizes that you can't get again.

That and I got into keeping clothes because of that style challenge. But that's about when I stopped playing the game.
Just because you can't reorder something isn't a reason to keep it. This isn't "Hoarders: New Leaf". :D

I do find that clothes are consuming most of my space. I try to wear a new matching outfit each day, so I am keeping a lot on hand.

Top Bottom