• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2012 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

I hope they all rock a pimp suit this year.

It's too damn hot!
Some flowery shirts perhaps?

MG_09651.jpg[img]

kehs

Banned
Webtop 3.0 looks better than Chrome OS. Google pls fix.

I wonder if portrait only apps work in Webtop.

If it's anything like google tv or tablets, they'll just display on it's side. =/

Eric Schmidt was answering questions yesterday at the stockholders meeting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DSqYI5sess&list=UU9RZRAPdKRM91k1XwbELJEg&index=0&feature=plcp

Dunno if there's anything interesting in there, I got bored and stopped watching.

It's pretty much just business talk.

no subtitle :O

Threads without snark in the subtitles should be locked and thread creators banned for two lifetimes.

kehs

Banned
Eric Schmidt was answering questions yesterday at the stockholders meeting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DSqYI5sess&list=UU9RZRAPdKRM91k1XwbELJEg&index=0&feature=plcp

Dunno if there's anything interesting in there, I got bored and stopped watching.

They had Intel head dude during the QA, and he talked about stuff he can't talk about.

Chromebooks are using the same intel chips that MS is using for Surface. I think we're going to see some high powered android products during i/o.

*drool*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Peer pressure is a bitch.

With that said, stay tuned, changes are in the works.

No subtitles really play to Google's style of minimalism though. The Chrome OT title was easily improved by changing it from "Google Chrome 6 |OT| A New Coat of Paint" to "Google Chrome |OT|."

I wonder why this thread finally made me give Chrome a whirl. Oh well, seems pretty snazzy so far.

Be sure it install some awesome extensions and join in on the ChromeGAF community.

Good OP Andrex. Can't wait for this. I think I'm most excited for when google broaches the subject of the updates, since it is the elephant in the room. It should amuse.

With that said, hopefully jelly bean is good. Too be likely no new nexus news, but maybe they'll confirm that they're opening the program to multiple manufacturers this year like that rumour from a bit back. Who knows though. Probably won't mention it at all.

kehs

Banned
They're not changing anything when it comes to updates. Schmidt just reiterated during the shareholder meeting they can't force any company to upgrade, but the situation is overall better.

Likewise, they just agreed to keep android free and open source for the next five years for their Moto Merger china approval.

Since my Galaxy Nexus is over six months old, I'm just hoping I get a full update to 4.1 and not 4.0.7.8. *crosses fingers*

Pachimari

Can I calmly walkur and buy a Galaxy Nexus today, knowing that I will get the next update alongside Assistant?

The last Android I had were the HTC Magic 4 years ago.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can I calmly walkur and buy a Galaxy Nexus today, knowing that I will get the next update alongside Assistant?

The last Android I had were the HTC Magic 4 years ago.

Yeah, as I said in the GNex thread, the GSM version of the GNex will be the first phone to get Jellybean (and Assistant.)

No subtitles really play to Google's style of minimalism though. The Chrome OT title was easily improved by changing it from "Google Chrome 6 |OT| A New Coat of Paint" to "Google Chrome |OT|."

I'm honored that you guys found so much inspiration in my OT. Shouldn't come as a surprise, though, considering how much inspiration Google found in Metro.

DarkFlow

Banned
Depending on 4.1, I may just abandon my Tmo S3 plans and cop the GNex once it launches.
You totally should. Don't listen to that s3 is best galaxy BS. While yes the s3 has good specs its not WTFOMG better then the nexus. The s3 is also stuck in Samsung update hell, you'll be lucky to see 4.1 in the next six months.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well my best friend hates his current phone (droid 3) and got an early upgrade offer from Verizon to move to an LTE phone with 100 bucks off. I told him to get a Galaxy Nexus since they wouldn't let him get a SIII with the promo because of some date things and the phone being only preorders.

I told him that JB might hit next week or soon after so the Galaxy Nexus might be the better bet anyways. He placed his order last night. Hope I steered him well. He's really interested to see what comes out of I/O 2012 now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well my best friend hates his current phone (droid 3) and got an early upgrade offer from Verizon to move to an LTE phone with 100 bucks off. I told him to get a Galaxy Nexus since they wouldn't let him get a SIII with the promo because of some date things and the phone being only preorders.

I told him that JB might hit next week or soon after so the Galaxy Nexus might be the better bet anyways. He placed his order last night. Hope I steered him well. He's really interested to see what comes out of I/O 2012 now.

Well done, my good and faithful servant.

celebi23

I can't wait for Jelly Bean. I'm still rocking a Droid 2 running stock Gingerbread. I've got a upgrade in the fall so, I'll hopefully be able to get a phone with Jelly Bean or I might switch to the next iPhone and get the Nexus 7 tablet. I like Android and all but the software update situation really does suck. I mean I know that Google couldn't pull it off as well as Apple (due to the amount of different devices) but, it seriously could be improved.

reKon

Banned
I can't wait for Jelly Bean. I'm still rocking a Droid 2 running stock Gingerbread. I've got a upgrade in the fall so, I'll hopefully be able to get a phone with Jelly Bean or I might switch to the next iPhone and get the Nexus 7 tablet. I like Android and all but the software update situation really does suck. I mean I know that Google couldn't pull it off as well as Apple (due to the amount of different devices) but, it seriously could be improved.

What if they come out with a Nexus phone (which you could buy from the Google store) with similar specs to the GS III? =O

celebi23

What if they come out with a Nexus phone (which you could buy from the Google store) with similar specs to the GS III? =O
Well, I'd have some serious deciding to do :p I'd have to wait until the fall anyways so, Verizon has some time to carry a phone running stock Jelly Bean.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, as I said in the GNex thread, the GSM version of the GNex will be the first phone to get Jellybean (and Assistant.)

...unless you buy it in Europe, which means Samsung will (horribly) be taking care of updating it rather than Google. They are fucking pathetic, my GNex is still on 4.0.2 (gonna flash a Google ROM (yakju) soon, to fix this shit).

Yeah, I'm really disappointed in how they (both Samsung and Google, since Google chose to do it like this rather than taking care of updating all Nexus phones themselves) have handled this. Half the point of having a GNex is that you get Android updates early. Except that you don't, if you're under the Samsung curse.

Anyway, what are the chances of Google rolling out Google Music to the rest of the world? Hah, who am I kidding, that will never happen...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Since all Google Play phones are unlocked and off-contract, the price would probably be like $800...

Ephemeris

You totally should. Don't listen to that s3 is best galaxy BS. While yes the s3 has good specs its not WTFOMG better then the nexus. The s3 is also stuck in Samsung update hell, you'll be lucky to see 4.1 in the next six months.

trust me, I've been seriously considering it lol

malyce

Since all Google Play phones are unlocked and off-contract, the price would probably be like $800...
Nah, more like $500-$600. Plus there should be a slew of nexus devices coming out later this year, so I'm guessing the prices may vary from low end to high end.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hopefully. Choice is good. Having a range of Nexus hardware will be good for everybody.

Cipherr

Has Assistant been highly rumored or almost confirmed to be coming with jelly bean? If not, do you guys think it will be at this year's keynote?

I really hope not for selfish reasons. Don't want to spend 45 minutes listening to them go on and on about a feature everyone will forget about after trying it the first few times. I realllllllllly DGAF about the whole assistant thing. Not saying I have a problem with them adding it. Just hate that if they do, itll soak up time they could be talking about other worthwhile stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If Assistant is truly a next-generation form of Siri, then I wouldn't mind them spending 20-25 minutes on it. I use dictation on my phone a lot, and voice actions to set alarms, and I'm not quite used to the touchscreen keyboard yet to ignore the promise Assistant could offer. Assistant is also nearly guaranteed to be open to third-parties, so there's lot of potential there for apps using it.

Pachimari

So if I buy a Galaxy Nexus come next week here in Denmark, will I be under the Samsung updates? So I probably won't get Jelly Bean that fast?

If Assistant is truly a next-generation form of Siri, then I wouldn't mind them spending 20-25 minutes on it. I use dictation on my phone a lot, and voice actions to set alarms, and I'm not quite used to the touchscreen keyboard yet to ignore the promise Assistant could offer. Assistant is also nearly guaranteed to be open to third-parties, so there's lot of potential there for apps using it.

Next gen from Siri would be home automatization, that's what I really want. It would even make me buy a Google TV if necessary. Having it stuck on my phone would be just a fancier Siri competitor.

rozay

Banned
While its wrong to call it best galaxy, it's a significant hardware improvement over the nexus and that's not something you can really neglect. Getting jelly bean&future updates first is one thing, being able to run them completely smooth is another. I love my nexus but as I'm sadly finding out, the specs can sometimes limit the device.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So if I buy a Galaxy Nexus come next week here in Denmark, will I be under the Samsung updates? So I probably won't get Jelly Bean that fast?

Who are you buying it from? Your carrier? I'm not an expert on the GSM GN, so I can't say for sure.

Next gen from Siri would be home automatization, that's what I really want. It would even make me buy a Google TV if necessary. Having it stuck on my phone would be just a fancier Siri competitor.

That's completely possible. All it would need is to be on the right hardware and the right third party apps be made. It'll almost certainly be on Google TV in the future, but current hardware lacks microphones... maybe those will start being built into the remotes.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yes, that's how it is here in Sweden, and it would surprise me greatly if it was any different in Denmark. Thankfully, it's pretty damn easy to flash Google's own official Nexus ROM onto the phone, and once you've done that you'll get updates directly from them instead of having to wait for Samsung to get their shit together. I did that earlier today, in fact, and it went perfectly using a nice guide.

I really have no idea why Samsung even need to be involved. The official excuse I believe is that there are some modifications they need to perform on the software for our markets, but I have no idea what that would be. Google's ROM has all the same languages and stuff that the Samsung one does (including the same lack of Nordic dictionaries for the default keyboard), so what modifications are Samsung doing that are taking them so long? Nobody knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom