• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It says it is, should be on the I/O website.

Reto Meier trolling, asking about "Pie" but then asking if they ever had some Aussie desert hahaha.

Ooh, he's asking why they kept changing the Bluetooth stack.

Polari

Duarte is such a baller. People might hate on those shirts, but they're always talking about them. I reckon he cribbed the idea off Steve Jobs, wear the same thing (in this case same but different) and it will become your trademark.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And that's that, my last I/O session. My flight is at 11am tomorrow so I'll be missing tomorrow's sessions. I'm also leaving Pixel-less since it's gonna take a few weeks for my LTE version to get to me.

If I decide to return, I'll definitely plan things out better. Still l had a ton of fun though, and learned so much.

snacknuts

we all knew her
And that's that, my last I/O session. My flight is at 11am tomorrow so I'll be missing tomorrow's sessions. I'm also leaving Pixel-less since it's gonna take a few weeks for my LTE version to get to me.

If I decide to return, I'll definitely plan things out better. Still l had a ton of fun though, and learned so much.
Would you say the conference is worth attending if you're not a developer, but simply a Google/Android enthusiast?

JWong

Banned

Andrex buy me a Google Glass plz

Rengoku

Got to try out oculus Rift today, paired with leap motion. Flying through Google maps, weaving through buildings, felt like iron man lol. It was quite a surreal experience. I will say though it was quite blurry for me, looked somewhat out of focus. The rep said it was the low resolution of the dev kit model, but i think the set may have needed some adjustments.

TehOh

At an overflow room for "Developing for Glass," should have gotten here earlier (though I'm 30 mins early!)

Dumbass me wanted to wait until the second day to beat the lines and not haul a second laptop around with me but now I find out they're out of the LTE model and it'll take four weeks for it to show up at my house. :/

I got to the Developing for Glass talk an hour early and I still barely got a seat. It was crazy. The Cognitive Science talk right after that was also really full (though, it was an incredible talk).

I grabbed my Pixel about 4ish yesterday. The line was long, but went really quickly. Probably took less than 15 minutes. Got the LTE one, which is coming in really handy since my hotel wifi is terrible.

Rengoku

I should have gotten the lte option with 64gb. They told me the lte only worked with Verizon so i got the wifi one not knowing it was only 32gb. I'm still debating whether I should keep it, the build quality is amazing and I love the screen, keyboard and track pad. I just feel chrome os is quite limiting atm, I'd love to be able to develop on it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Would you say the conference is worth attending if you're not a developer, but simply a Google/Android enthusiast?

Hmmmmmmmmmm no. Especially if you have to fly in, but even if you live here $900 is a lot to pony up just to see a keynote that will be livestreamed for free. You can still get something out of the sessions, but any bits and bites will be reported by the tech blogs soon after. The real reason to go IMO is to meet these engineers in person and get their opinion and insight into dev questions you might have. (And also meeting your tech heroes in person, lol. Talking with Paul Irish was my personal highlight of this whole thing.)

The free swag is good of course, so if you badly want to play $1000 free tech roulette that might justify it for you. But I could easily see them stopping the free swag eventually.

Andrex buy me a Google Glass plz

I actually had a deal with a coworker that if they were selling them he'd give me the money and I'd get him one. Alas, not even doing preorders (which they did last year!) Even the office hours peeps wouldn't let me try one on for a quick second. :-(

TehOh

I should have gotten the lte option with 64gb. They told me the lte only worked with Verizon so i got the wifi one not knowing it was only 32gb. I'm still debating whether I should keep it, the build quality is amazing and I love the screen, keyboard and track pad. I just feel chrome os is quite limiting atm, I'd love to be able to develop on it.

Install Crouton on it and you can use a keyboard command to switch back and forth from ChromeOS to Ubuntu - http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

It's a fantastic laptop, but yeah, ChromeOS is pretty limited. I use Ubuntu on my normal laptop, but the Pixel is a nice spec upgrade, so I'm going to put Ubuntu on this thing and use it as my new main laptop.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
As much as I've enjoyed I/O this year, I am still disappointed that they aren't selling any more Glass units. I really want one after seeing so many of them around.

I feel the exact same way. Really disappointed they didn't at least do another batch of preorders (although unless it was substantially less I wouldn't be able to do it anyways...)

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I went to the restroom this afternoon and there were 2 guys with Glass in there next to me. Doesn't feel right.
It would be akin to me holding my camera - which may or may not be on - while going to the restroom.

I'm optimistic about Glass (went to a few sessions today; fresh stuff), but I'm not sure how they'll get around social stigmas.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I saw someone with Glass on in the bathroom too but then I thought, meh, if he's looking at people's junk it'll be pretty obvious.

They also confirmed the final Glass models will have an LED on when recording.

Nah, but if you put an american address/postcode and phone number alongside your card it works fine.

I even went back into google wallet and changed back to my UK address for future purchases and the subscription seems like it will work fine.

I used http://www.getusvpn.com/ and then signed into google music (on PC/web browser).

thanks for the tips, this worked quite good. VPN->re-add my Card with US address and now I'm on All Access.

I saw someone with Glass on in the bathroom too but then I thought, meh, if he's looking at people's junk it'll be pretty obvious.

They also confirmed the final Glass models will have an LED on when recording.
pfft you're looking at a guy in the bathroom ;P

SimleuqiR

I wonder if Google will eventually have a free, ad supported, curated stations version as well.

Multiple industry insiders say that Google also had an easier time of getting licensed because it agreed to pay advances to some of the major copyright owners. Apple has a long history of refusing to pay advances and — at least initially — didn't offer any. Sources say that Apple has agreed to pay content owners a share of ad revenue, a per-play fee, and a minimum guarantee.

Me thinks once Google gets some of that money back (or all of it), via pay subscriptions, they will try to re-negotiate and have a license for "free" option.

Rengoku

Install Crouton on it and you can use a keyboard command to switch back and forth from ChromeOS to Ubuntu - http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

It's a fantastic laptop, but yeah, ChromeOS is pretty limited. I use Ubuntu on my normal laptop, but the Pixel is a nice spec upgrade, so I'm going to put Ubuntu on this thing and use it as my new main laptop.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot. I didn't realize you could run both ubuntu and chrome os simultaneously and switch quickly between them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Me thinks once Google gets some of that money back (or all of it), via pay subscriptions, they will try to re-negotiate and have a license for "free" option.

Unless they already have that license, and simply chose not to offer the option to us at first to get people to pay in order to recover costs. Then when there is a need for a free version, they can always magically make it available, probably just ahead of Apple's, to beat them to the punch again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Trivia: My voice is on one of the videos that's been uploaded to the GoogleDevelopers account. Try to find out which it is and win a prize!

Prize:
[Nonexistent] ...What, you were expecting my Pixel? Hahaha.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dunno if I posted this, but Chrome was giving away sunglasses (unfortunately not Glass-enabled, lol):

13+-+1

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Dunno if I posted this, but Chrome was giving away sunglasses (unfortunately not Glass-enabled, lol):

[imghttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7m0Ld6sE6KY/UZRjVcFM-eI/AAAAAAAAcUY/x88DiJUMUXY/s800/13+-+1[/img]

Now you can go incognito mode and stare at people. Nice touch.

hey guys, do you think that the galaxy google edition rom will be available for standard galaxy s4?

you know since the google edition is US only I may as well buy a regular s4 and flash with the google rom

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
hey guys, do you think that the galaxy google edition rom will be available for standard galaxy s4?

you know since the google edition is US only I may as well buy a regular s4 and flash with the google rom

I don't see why it wouldn't be, but you'd probably have to hit up XDA.

Enco

You mean the version they demoed with the just speaking "Ok Google"? Lucky :p

Tried saying ok google and it doesn't seem to do anything.

I just have the new voice search when I click on the mic. Just a nicer voice search than the old one. Works pretty well. Not sure how often I'll be using it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom