• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So if I post a direct message to someone on G+ it should also show up in my hangouts feed?

No - the Google+ messaging service (which sits on the right) now has equal functionality to GTalk/Messenger - this wasn't the case before. They also added functionality ontop of this.

Before in Google+ there was Google Talk, essentially with some added functionality (video chat+). A little while ago they added this video chat functionality to the Gmail chat, so those two services were essentially on par. But Messenger on Google+ mobile had more functionality, and was completely separate from these two chats still. So they basically took the best from all the chars, threw it into one service, added a few features and called it "hangouts".

It's not as dramatic as I'd liked - SMS would make it for me. But that's coming.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
At an overflow room for "Developing for Glass," should have gotten here earlier (though I'm 30 mins early!)

Oh right. What a failure. How are you liking your Pixel?

Dumbass me wanted to wait until the second day to beat the lines and not haul a second laptop around with me but now I find out they're out of the LTE model and it'll take four weeks for it to show up at my house. :/

I've always preferred the network enabled Chromebooks even though I've only somewhat rarely used the 3G in my Samsung Chromebook. But it has come in handy when I've needed it. Aside from that LTE is much better for things like the Pixel than 3G, and the LTE Pixel has double the storage (64 GB.)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Dumbass me wanted to wait until the second day to beat the lines and not haul a second laptop around with me but now I find out they're out of the LTE model and it'll take four weeks for it to show up at my house. :/
Sounds like a failure on Google's part. I mean, you need to have a ticket to enter. They should know how many Pixels are needed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sounds like a failure on Google's part. I mean, you need to have a ticket to enter. They should know how many Pixels are needed.

I can get a Wifi model now if I want but they probably all should have been the LTE one. Everyone could benefit from the extra storage even if they don't live in an LTE area.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GDK (Glass Development Kit) announced: add-on for the Android SDK, allows more access to hardware features than the Mirror API, ETA unknown.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
There are plenty of the Pixel's from I/O up on Ebay now. But still not at a price I'd be willing to pay for one. I'd highly consider it at around 700 bucks. I have a Samsung Chromebook already and love it but that OS isn't worth the premium price at this point.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This Web Components talk is blowing my fricking mind. I can't wait to see the UI libraries that spring from this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
At the Google Mirror API session. Got lunch at this place across the street because the line for the complementary lunch was like a 2000-person human centipede. Got a fantastic burger that I swear tasted like a steak. Got it wicked fast too although a line was starting to form when I left... Anyways I'm in a much better seat than the original Glass session. Fricking non-dev yuppies clogging up the good sessions.

/livejournal

Aldebaran

At the Google Mirror API session. Got lunch at this place across the street because the line for the complementary lunch was like a 2000-person human centipede. Got a fantastic burger that I swear tasted like a steak. Got it wicked fast too although a line was starting to form when I left... Anyways I'm in a much better seat than the original Glass session. Fricking non-dedv yuppies clogging up the good sessions.

/livejournal
QUICK GET US INFORMATION ABOUT ANDROID 4.3

Zeppu

Well, the automatic smart hashtags work.

NHeZHhF.png

:O

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
^ WOW

Also this android UX session is secretly about Android@Home, which looks pretty dam cool.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chrome DevTools Revolutions

Parl Irish is killing it not even five minutes in, goddamn.

I met him last night after the Blink chat and I think I came off a little
AMzq9lr.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Easy port forwarding to Android, holy shit. This is the best talk of I/O, no question. Paul is such a fantastic presenter too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Call me paranoid but Google Now is the ceiling at which I'm willing to give up privacy. I understand that it's convenient, but I'm not willing to reroute all my missives to supplant search for myself.

I'm actually really looking forward to Scoble's book The Age of Context because he believes directly the opposite, saying that privacy as a thought is nonexistent.

Lol I missed this gem. Talon, champion of Scoble.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Does that mean we'll see OEM versions of Glass? I'd be down with some variety, maybe something a little bit less 'out of the way'?

I think that might be the I implication for the future, but right now u think she meant they were working with say sunglass manufacturers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Android Fireside Chat is as who's who of Google. Dan Morrill, Dianne Hackborn, Ficus Kirkpatrick, Romain Guy, Retro Meier, and, of course, Duarte.

7OqZj9Fl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom