• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudkips

Banned
So now when I hit up plus.google.com to chat with people, I have duplicated people in my "Hangouts" list.

I can't remove them from this list by deleting or archiving the "hangout", and I do not have them duplicated in my contacts in any way.

The only way to remove them from the "Hangouts" list is to block them.

If I chat with someone via their duplicated entry, they don't get the message. There's no popup card when I mouse over their duplicate entry, and there's no indication at all where the duplicated entry is coming from.

The chat list on gmail.com has no issues.

WTF Google?

Anno

Watching the replay, Larry is just crushing large tech companies left and right. Like 20 minutes into the Q&A and he's already directly called out Microsoft and Oracle wayyyy more directly than I would've thought.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Watching the replay, Larry is just crushing large tech companies left and right. Like 20 minutes into the Q&A and he's already directly called out Microsoft and Oracle wayyyy more directly than I would've thought.

They make him sad.

Oracle deserves to get spanked much harder than the light Eskimo kiss Larry ended up giving them.

So now when I hit up plus.google.com to chat with people, I have duplicated people in my "Hangouts" list.

I can't remove them from this list by deleting or archiving the "hangout", and I do not have them duplicated in my contacts in any way.

The only way to remove them from the "Hangouts" list is to block them.

If I chat with someone via their duplicated entry, they don't get the message. There's no popup card when I mouse over their duplicate entry, and there's no indication at all where the duplicated entry is coming from.

The chat list on gmail.com has no issues.

WTF Google?
Pretty sure one is a Google Talk contact and the other is a Google+ contact. I have the same problem with a few people.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Can someone clarify something for me about the new Google Music service?

I have already signed up for it entered into the trial. I have been using Spotify and the one and only thing I like about it is the ability to save songs from them on my actual device instead of relying on my data connection to stream music while I'm driving. I'm on sprint service and it isn't exactly optimal for trying to stream music.

My question:
Does the Google Music app allow me to save songs directly to my device from their service or is that a separate purchase?

3phemeral

Can someone clarify something for me about the new Google Music service?

I have already signed up for it entered into the trial. I have been using Spotify and the one and only thing I like about it is the ability to save songs from them on my actual device instead of relying on my data connection to stream music while I'm driving. I'm on sprint service and it isn't exactly optimal for trying to stream music.

My question:
Does the Google Music app allow me to save songs directly to my device from their service or is that a separate purchase?

If you pin the track, it'll download it to your device. No need to purchase it.

Blah. I'm trying to open a new project with Android Studio and it keeps telling my my SDK is out of date or I'm missing templates.

I just used the SDK Manager to update to the newest SDk version.

Anyone else having these issues?

Mudkips

Banned
Pretty sure one is a Google Talk contact and the other is a Google+ contact. I have the same problem with a few people.

I deleted one of my contacts and that fixed it (only 1 entry in the "Hangouts" list), but obviously if I do that I don't have the contact anymore (no email, phone number, etc.).

If I then readd the contact, it's broken again.

It's like I have a contact with a linked Google+ account, and a sepparate Google+ contact via my circles.

3phemeral

Is that "Add to my library"?

I'm not seeing a 'pin track' option.

Well, my setup is that I have all of my thumbs-up songs pinned and I noticed that when I "liked" a song via Radio, it started downloading the track. If you add it to your library, you can also pin it that way by searching for it in the "My Library" section, then pin in. Otherwise, I think my method is more efficient.

Blah. I'm trying to open a new project with Android Studio and it keeps telling my my SDK is out of date or I'm missing templates.

I just used the SDK Manager to update to the newest SDk version.

Anyone else having these issues?
Have you tried the other solution on the link? http://stackoverflow.com/a/16576215

if the Build Target Doesn't show. try adding another variable ANDROID_HOME with the same path like JDK_HOME.

if it doesn't show. try restarting pc.

RdN

So, what's the voice command for the TV cards on Google Now? I tried asking when's the next The Office episode, asking about the series, nothing.

DietRob

Well, my setup is that I have all of my thumbs-up songs pinned and I noticed that when I "liked" a song via Radio, it started downloading the track. If you add it to your library, you can also pin it that way by searching for it in the "My Library" section, then pin in. Otherwise, I think my method is more efficient.

So I wonder where the track is downloading? One of the downsides to Spotify was that downloaded songs would only save to the internal memory card. My external SD card has much more space so it would be ideal to have an option to store downloaded tracks there.

SimleuqiR

So I wonder where the track is downloading? One of the downsides to Spotify was that downloaded songs would only save to the internal memory card. My external SD card has much more space so it would be ideal to have an option to store downloaded tracks there.

That ain't going to happen. Prior to this update to Music, songs (pinned ones at least) were stored within the apps directory and not even with proper track names. For example: 001.mp3, 002.mp3, and so on.

The radio stream stuff is probably encrypted somehow, "DRM'ed" to the teeth. I'm obviously not in the know, just speculating.

3phemeral

It saves to a directory that you'll need to have root access to find. They're stored as numbered mp3 files. This is true for android, but I haven't checked how this works on the PC.

aeolist

Banned
The new play music ui is way worse

These cards just slow everything down and constantly reload, just give me my text list back

DietRob

That ain't going to happen. Prior to this update to Music, songs (pinned ones at least) were stored within the apps directory and not even with proper track names. For example: 001.mp3, 002.mp3, and so on.

The radio stream stuff is probably encrypted somehow, "DRM'ed" to the teeth. I'm obviously not in the know, just speculating.

It saves to a directory that you'll need to have root access to find. They're stored as numbered mp3 files. This is true for android, but I haven't checked how this works on the PC.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure that it had as much or maybe more functionality as Spotify before I shut off my sub.

You could pin songs/playlists/albums for a while now. The only new thing is you can pin Radio tracks now too.

Oh, I know I can pin my uploaded and free songs, but what Im talking about is the new songs that I discover, can I pin those for offline play? (stupid at&t data caps :/ )

3phemeral

Oh, I know I can pin my uploaded and free songs, but what Im talking about is the new songs that I discover, can I pin those for offline play? (stupid at&t data caps :/ )
Yep. Well, I haven't noticed it directly on the song while viewing it via Radio, but you can if you add it through My Library and pin it from there. Or pin all of your thumbs-upped tracks so when you like a song, just thumbs-up it and it'll auto download.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was hoping for an actual packaged Hangout app for Chrome, not an extension. The extension is actually kinda janky, but I give it a bit of a free pass for having a cute icon.

Cipherr

Wait, so you can actually PIN down and download for offline play in the new app? If so, I am IN like a Ray Allen 3 point shot.

Yep it appears so. Im sure if your subscription lapses that they would then be inaccessible though. But as long as its active it appears you can pin all your storage can handle.

Yep it appears so. Im sure if your subscription lapses that they would then be inaccessible though. But as long as its active it appears you can pin all your storage can handle.

Thats freaking awesome! Now to sample the variety of music they have in there. Almost sold, Google, ALMOST sold. :D

esai

really digging the hangout app. used talk a lot to chat with my brother. and currently trying the all access service.

Cyrillus

I've been waiting for the refresh to pull the trigger on a Nexus 7/10. Does this mean the rumored refresh isn't happening this summer, or are they just going to do a standalone announcement?

Cipherr

I've been waiting for the refresh to pull the trigger on a Nexus 7/10. Does this mean the rumored refresh isn't happening this summer, or are they just going to do a standalone announcement?

I honestly don't know now. They may do a standalone, or they might refresh everything at the end of the year during the hardware conference.

There's kind of no way to know atm.

Ydahs

Is there anything stopping me from using Cloud Save outside of games? The API is for gaming, but I'd really love to use the cloud for an App I'm thinking of creating.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Great conference. I kept my expectations in check and I got basically everything I reasonably expected. Hangouts is a bit of a disappointment, though, since it seems like a 1.0 product, even though it was a year in the making.

georgc

I would move over to the new music play is there was a way to choose the quality of the downloaded music and import or something from spotify.

Ephemeris

Great conference. I kept my expectations in check and I got basically everything I reasonably expected. Hangouts is a bit of a disappointment, though, since it seems like a 1.0 product, even though it was a year in the making.

It's disappointing in some respects, but overall I'm pleased with Hangouts.

The Larry Q/A was the highlight of this year's Google I/O keynote for me. Lack of hardware was only a tiny bit disappointing, but it's not like I had any plans to upgrade my devices in the near future anyways (I told a friend to hold off on a Nexus 7 purchase until after I/O).

Should make any Fall announcements even stronger.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Two years, actually, going by that Verge article.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What gear did the attendants get for free this year? Wasn't Google I|O the thing where everyone gets thousands of dollars in gadgets to take home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom