• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
2009 = Google Ion (HTC Magic)
2010 = HTC EVO 4G
2011 = Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Series 5 Chromebook, Verizon 4G LTE Hotspot
2012 = Galaxy Nexus (GSM), Nexus 7, Nexus Q, Samsung Series 3 Chromebox
2013 = Chromebook Pixel

Need to get me a ticket to this show next year.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So I missed everything. Anything new and cool for Android besides Hangouts so far?

DarkFlow

Banned
There's no way Samsung is going to undercut the no-contract price of their normal S4s. Never mind the fact that it would cost them revenue, carriers would probably be livid.
I know that, but I don't want to spend 700 bucks on a unlocked phone that I could just buy for the same price everywhere else. It's not a deal in any way like the regular nexus.

I have to wonder....

(Enter alternate reality)

Android 4.3 announced with:

New PlayStore overhaul
New Maps incoming
New GMusic makeover
New Streaming service in GMusic
New App called "Keep" for taking notes.
New Hangouts service for Chrome/Android/iOS
New Google Now Widget
New Google Wallet UI update and changes
New G+ Redesign
Google Play Games announced with Cloud saves
College Sports added to Google Now
User Reviews now available in Play Store Dev console
Developers can now reply to review comments

Would people be satisfied. Because they have rolled out all of those updates and changes and some over the last few months including today, they just didn't hold them all and call it 4.3. Instead they got rolled out as they finished developing them. Is it the new shit we want? Or the increase in the version number.

Nice.

Google updating android without updating android is the biggest news out of io 2013

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Which is why I'm surprised people are asking for SMS integration so much. I honestly can't remember when I've received an SMS the last time. Seems so dead to me...

Everyone I know uses SMS to communicate. A few use Whatsapp, a few use Google Talk, a few use other stuff. Etc. SMS is the only thing everyone uses, so that's what I'm gonna have to keep using as my main form of messaging. Hangouts could have replaced both the SMS and Talk apps (which are the only ones I personally use on my phone), but now I'm gonna have to keep using both, so this has helped nothing. I was also hoping that a unified messenger would sync my SMS messages across all my devices and let me answer them without using my phone (which would be used as a proxy for receiving and sending them, of course), but that's not happening either. Yeah, I know I can do that with other apps like AirDroid, but I was hoping for a Google solution. And before anyone mentions Google Voice - that doesn't exist here (at least not in the same form), just like 324181324 other Google services.

So yeah, I'm disappointed. I was hoping for much more from this supposed savior of the fragmented mess that is messaging on Android. Oh well, maybe in Android 5.0...

Zeppu

After an hour or so messing with hangouts on phone and on G+...I'm undecided.

Seems a bit of a clusterfuck tbh. Away/idle = offline. Busy I imagine, is now snooze. Cards popping up in G+ whenver I hover any avatar.

Blah. My excitement is dead.

My biggest problem with Google right now is the focus on more and more new stuff that might work or not, and that it's mostly US focused while existing services don't expand on a global scale outside of 1st world premium countries.

So we get more and more stuff and the world gets more and more 'Sorry, not available...' Web pages to look at.

And no sms integration in hangouts? Welp, another app thats gonna get disabled or rot in my app drawer.

derder

In my mind, I'd like to have a messaging app that uses SMS, MMS, fbchat, gchat, WhatsApp, etc. and rolls them into one.

You select the order in which you'd prefer to communicate with them depending on their current "availability" status which is already set in that independant app.

As an example:

Mom
1. SMS
2. fbchat

Brother
1. gchat
2. fbchat
3. SMS

Grandpa
1. email

So I'd have the option of directly messaging my mom in fbchat, but it would automatically choose SMS. I'd send a message my brother and it would go to gchat unless he was offline or away, then attempt fb unless he was offline or away, and then go to SMS.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I was really hoping for a revised nexus q or something similar. Apple tv still shits all over Google in this area. All the software updates are nice though.

S4 with stock android is nice but too pricey!

Crateman

Downloaded Hangouts on my Nexus 4, but it can't confirm my phone number. I guess they havent rolled the SMS confirmation system here (Mexico)

Mairu

Y..you're shitting me?
6h1OqEx.png

Is it only for phones?
I guess that is the case right now.

giga

I have to wonder....

(Enter alternate reality)

Android 4.3 announced with:

New PlayStore overhaul
New Maps incoming
New GMusic makeover
New Streaming service in GMusic
New App called "Keep" for taking notes.
New Hangouts service for Chrome/Android/iOS
New Google Now Widget
New Google Wallet UI update and changes
New G+ Redesign
Google Play Games announced with Cloud saves
College Sports added to Google Now
User Reviews now available in Play Store Dev console
Developers can now reply to review comments

Would people be satisfied. Because they have rolled out all of those updates and changes and some over the last few months including today, they just didn't hold them all and call it 4.3. Instead they got rolled out as they finished developing them. Is it the new shit we want? Or the increase in the version number.

Nice.
No, not really. From that list, the only ones really specific to the core OS is the play store, maps, play games, and google now. The others are apps or services that I don't use.

The new Google+ layout is up! My photos section is amazing now!
We've come full circle. As soon as Facebook discontinues their multi column layout, Google implements it.

Toki767

Seems like Google are still updating the Hangouts Chrome extension. At first it showed availability status like Google Talk, then it didn't, now it seems to have a green underline on a person's picture to signify that they're available.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My biggest problem with Google right now is the focus on more and more new stuff that might work or not, and that it's mostly US focused while existing services don't expand on a global scale outside of 1st world premium countries.

So we get more and more stuff and the world gets more and more 'Sorry, not available...' Web pages to look at.

Yeah, being a Google user in Sweden is very trying at times. So, Google announces this awesome new subscription service for Google Music. Seems cool! Oh wait, right, we don't have Music here. Not even the basic uploading and streaming service. Yeah, I know, music licensing is a bitch and all the music labels are assholes, but come on. It's been two years since it was released in the US, and not a single word has been uttered to indicate that it's ever coming here. Google must really suck at this sort of thing.

We also don't have Books or Magazines or Voice or much of anything else. And we can't buy devices directly from Google. No Knowledge Graph either, which means things like Now and voice search are pretty much useless. And those cool voice actions people in the US can do, like the reminders they demoed? Yeah, that shit doesn't exist if you speak Swedish. The list goes on.

At least we have paid Android apps. Some countries don't even have that.

buhdeh

I think it's just an error that they will sort out. I remember them mentioning that Hangouts is supposed to be "tablet optimized"

Ephemeris

2009 = Google Ion (HTC Magic)
2010 = HTC EVO 4G
2011 = Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Series 5 Chromebook, Verizon 4G LTE Hotspot
2012 = Galaxy Nexus (GSM), Nexus 7, Nexus Q, Samsung Series 3 Chromebox
2013 = Chromebook Pixel

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I wanted to go this year but got stuck on the dev thing.

Mindwipe

I have to wonder....

Would have it have done some bug fixes on the core OS?

Because that's why I'm disappointed. The bluetooth stack has been broken for far too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom