• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman86

Banned
Lol. I admit I laughed more than I should have at this. So dumb...

Guarantee this will no longer be the case by tomorrow.

Anyways not having SMS integration sucks, but I was at least hoping for an entire integration with this and all iconography fixed. But if you use the Chrome app like I do it's the same app with a new icon. Still has the old Hangout icon and vergabe for a "video chat". Doesn't have pictures or any of the new features etc. Hopefully they fix that.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So the Chrome extension now looks like the rest of Hangouts on the computer. I no longer need to keep a Gmail tab open - and I never liked using a different IM client.

DarkFlow

Banned
Can anyone upload their epubs yet?

you have to go into the play store and do it.

https://play.google.com/books Top right corner under your name and pic. Just upload a few books, works great.

trlxODLl.jpg

Don't know why A Dance With Dragons is missing it's cover, guess I'll have to fix that.

Aeana

I tried uploading an ePub and it's been stuck on processing for half an hour. :\
EDIT: Deleted and retried and it worked this time.

Cartman86

Banned
So the Chrome extension now looks like the rest of Hangouts on the computer. I no longer need to keep a Gmail tab open - and I never liked using a different IM client.

Does it really? The icon is the new green Hangouts one, but the chat window and the features are the same for me. Doesn't dismiss when i've already read a message on mobile etc.

EDIT: Yeah the Chrome web store page has screens that look like the mobile app. Weird. Maybe I need to restart my browser again.

Cipherr

No, not really. From that list, the only ones really specific to the core OS is the play store, maps, play games, and google now. The others are apps or services that I don't use.

There would also be Bluetooth 4.0 on that list.

Seriously take that and compare it to 4.2 or 4.1 and tell me its not comparable in terms of changes. The new point updates often times bring updates to apps and services. Whether you use them or not not withstanding. Google Now was huge in 4.1, but not everyone uses it.

I'm just saying, over the last few months we have seen a crapload of app updates, redesigns, development software rehauls, new software, new services and expansion of apps to other ecosystems as well as core android improvements. Those are the EXACT ingredients of a point update.

About the only thing else that I can think of that comes in point updates is bug fixes.

Edit:

Would have it have done some bug fixes on the core OS?

Because that's why I'm disappointed. The bluetooth stack has been broken for far too long.

Yea this is about the only thing I could say would be missing, big bug fix lists. But outside of that, over the last few months I think they have done the equivalent of a point update and some. Yet its still 4.2. They did say they were going to move in that direction, but its impressive.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
How exactly do you start android studio. Downloaded and installed but it won't open when i click the icon.

giga

There would also be Bluetooth 4.0 on that list.

Seriously take that and compare it to 4.2 or 4.1 and tell me its not comparable in terms of changes. The new point updates often times bring updates to apps and services. Whether you use them or not not withstanding. Google Now was huge in 4.1, but not everyone uses it.

I'm just saying, over the last few months we have seen a crapload of app updates, redesigns, development software rehauls, new software, new services and expansion of apps to other ecosystems as well as core android improvements. Those are the EXACT ingredients of a point update.

About the only thing else that I can think of that comes in point updates is bug fixes.

Edit:

Yea this is about the only thing I could say would be missing, big bug fix lists. But outside of that, over the last few months I think they have done the equivalent of a point update and some. Yet its still 4.2. They did say they were going to move in that direction, but its impressive.
Nope. They're not comparable to me. Things like Google+ additions, a note taking app, and google music updates are not what I'm looking for in OS updates.

Just look at the difference. 4.1 added Google Now, USB audio, a new camera app, a faster and smoother UI, better notifications, dictation, android beam, and so on. See the difference? OS level features.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eric Bidelman busting out the guitar on the Awesome Web Features session. Some of the CSS stuff shown will make life so much easier... When it gets more support.

Guarantee this will no longer be the case by tomorrow.

Anyways not having SMS integration sucks, but I was at least hoping for an entire integration with this and all iconography fixed. But if you use the Chrome app like I do it's the same app with a new icon. Still has the old Hangout icon and vergabe for a "video chat". Doesn't have pictures or any of the new features etc. Hopefully they fix that.

One of the guys on The Verge video, from Google, heavily hinted that this is in their plans, it's just not there yet.

Polari

The Play Store redesign means the black navigation bar is FINALLY fixed! It took them over a year which is pathetic in itself, but at least Google is finally giving my OCD a rest! This actually makes me happier than anything else they've announced.

javac

The Play Store redesign means the black navigation bar is FINALLY fixed! It took them over a year which is pathetic in itself, but at least Google is finally giving my OCD a rest! This actually makes me happier than anything else they've announced.

Which black bar if you don't mind me asking? I'm super OCD but I never notice this stuff lol.

Polari

Which black bar if you don't mind me asking? I'm super OCD but I never notice this stuff lol.

Old style (used only by Google Play)

QqNsvFq.png

New style (well, newer - almost every other Google site transitioned over to this at least a year ago)

MepN57L.png

Maximus.

Yea my issue right now is that I do get up to date messages on my computer, but no notifications for some reason. Really annoying, since then I have to constantly check my phone for new messages.

Polari

Anyway, having caught up on everything it looks like they've announced some great stuff. As Andrex knows, I was no fan of the previous Google+ design so I'm happy it's getting the axe. The new one is a pretty radical departure, but I can finally hide the chat bar so it's cool with me. The font they're using (Lato?) looks a bit funky on my screen though. Hangouts looks like it goes some way to remedying the messaging mess, but the lack of SMS is a big, big disappointment. The new Android IDE looks like a win.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
At "Chrome Packaged Apps State of the Nation," one of my most anticipated sessions.
75bs7Dh.gif
Last year's talk blew my balls off.

Timan

Developer
Can someone try something for me? The new Google Music app. For some reason I can not stream the music over bluetooth to my car. Where local music seems to work fine. I sure as hell hope this isn't a limitation (htc one)

Cartman86

Banned
Can someone try something for me? The new Google Music app. For some reason I can not stream the music over bluetooth to my car. Where local music seems to work fine. I sure as hell hope this isn't a limitation (htc one)

You talking about the new subscription streaming or just any music that hasn't been saved to offline is not streaming? Going to go test it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Blink Q&A is gonna be sizzling. PAUL IRISH HAVE MY BABIES

Eh hem. 8.8 million lines of code (120+ MB) excised in the move from WebKit to Blink.

Polari

What's an example of a Chrome packaged app? What does this mean exactly?

I'm guessing it means web apps can be treated like native apps on Android, e.g. having an icon so they can be launched like native apps and being in the Play Store. Like how Firefox OS does it. Makes sense.

btrboyev

Okay in my One, it's already saying I have hangouts installed and when I open it, it's just plain old talk still. No idea what to do.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Okay in my One, it's already saying I have hangouts installed and when I open it, it's just plain old talk still. No idea what to do.

Uninstall Talk, then reinstall Hangouts from the Play Store.

If it's an app that was preinstalled on your device, use Titanium Backup or something similar to uninstall it. (If you're rooted...)

Cartman86

Banned

I had that problem. Clearing the data and restarting didn't fix it so I went to the Google Play website on my PC and forced the install from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom