• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

I have duplicates on my hangout list. :| Seems like it's pulling from both Google+ circles and google talk. Surely there's a way to merge contacts?

Not sure if this has been posted before, but for those outside the US I was able to sign up for the 30 day free trial of Music fine using a VPN. All the music then streamed fine into my phone without the VPN while I was out using 4G.

mitheor

Not sure if this has been posted before, but for those outside the US I was able to sign up for the 30 day free trial of Music fine using a VPN. All the music then streamed fine into my phone without the VPN while I was out using 4G.

From the PC browser?

How did you activated all access? I´m not seeing any "all access" option there, only in the smartphone :|

xptoxyz

Anyone trying Android Studio? It's not generating the activity files for me I think, or I can't seem to find them anywhere. No Java folder like showed on the example structure on the developer site.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone trying Android Studio? It's not generating the activity files for me I think, or I can't seem to find them anywhere. No Java folder like showed on the example structure on the developer site.

Not even opening for me.

xptoxyz

Not even opening for me.

Well 0.1 indeed I guess. Let's hope more people start using it and fixes start coming. I don't get it, it asks me same things Eclipse would on project creation but then there seem to be files missing. I'm not sure if I'm not seeing something or what.

What's your problem? It hangs?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Well 0.1 indeed I guess. Let's hope more people start using it and fixes start coming. I don't get it, it asks me same things Eclipse would on project creation but then there seem to be files missing. I'm not sure if I'm not seeing something or what.

What's your problem? It hangs?

No idea. I click the icon to open it and nothing happens, nothing shows up in Task Manager either. I've tried running it as administrator and the same thing happens (or doesn't happen).

I'll uninstall it and start again later on.

xptoxyz

I was about to suggest messing with environment variables because I knew some people had trouble with that, thought the problem was different than not doing anything though.

Audioboxer

Signed up for the all access music service with a VPN (I'm in UK). Paying just over £5 is a steal, considering cheapest streaming options here at £9.99 a month.

mitheor

I suppose you have that upgrade account option where i don´t ...

A2VFa58.jpg

Is that right? Is it possible for any of you to get the right-click url from that upgrade option to see if that works for me? :$

Audioboxer

Cheers, did you just sign in with your existing Google account or did you have to create a new one?

Signed into existing!

I get the vpn to sign up via PC, but how do you get the app on your phone afterwards?

Just download it from the play store. The app checks the subscription based on your account only, not your location.

I suppose you have that upgrade account option where i don´t ...

A2VFa58.jpg

Is that right? Is it possible for any of you to get the right-click url from that upgrade option to see if that works for me? :$

Hmm, strange. Should work if it detects you're in America (via VPN).

Only thing I can think of is I signed up for Google Music when it launched in America via a VPN. I couldn't be bothered waiting till they launched it in the UK for me to upload up to 20,000 songs.

I get the vpn to sign up via PC, but how do you get the app on your phone afterwards?

If you don't see it via Play Store, search for it through the browser/chrome, then when you click the link in search results open it in the Play Store.

Only thing I can think of is I signed up for Google Music when it launched in America via a VPN. I couldn't be bothered waiting till they launched it in the UK for me to upload up to 20,000 songs.
I did the same back when it launched.

So you just added your UK CC via VPN and it worked for All Access?

mitheor

Hmm, strange. Should work if it detects you're in America (via VPN).

Same here. In fact, the ugprade option was there an hour ago, but i tried to use it without the VPN, it failed, and now it´s gone in both the web and smartphone.

D:

Audioboxer

@Everyone, try deleting your default payment method from Wallet (or any cards you have a UK/EU address) and then logging in again.

It will ask you to setup a payment method once you click upgrade.

Regardless of VPN, I do not think Google like it when they can see you have a payment method that isn't American :p

I'm having the same problems, although I haven't tried to troubleshoot it yet.

Win8.

fake edit; fix -> http://www.twosquared.com.au/index.php?id=6

Yes I posted earlier about that. If you wish, you can instead set the JDK environment variable which may be more useful in the long run than setting ANDROID_STUDIO_JDK.

Also make sure you don't have stray CMD processes running from when you tried to open the studio and the launch failed.

I was in Pittsburgh for IO Extended this year, and got a free Nexus 7! The only reason I haven't bought one already is that I was waiting to see if they would announce a new version yesterday.

Android Studio is definitely the best announcement for me. I just got started making an app and Eclipse is awful. Looking forward to playing around with Studio this weekend.

The Google Music reskin really threw me off. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

I need to use Google+ more. As for the rest of the announcements, just a lot of awesome. I need to start using the voice search more.

beje

Banned
My Hangouts impression since yesterday is that they really don't have a fucking clue about how to solve their messaging fiasco of several google services under the same login but each one with a different contact list and will keep on throwing shit at a wall in complete desperation hoping something will stick.

Yeah, the app looks really cool and edgy with nice animations and bells and whistles... but that's it. The actual app behind the design is completely lacking and reeks of being put together in a couple of afternoons in order to making it for the IO.

reKon

Banned
Why are people so off about the Google music redesign? Was the previous version really that good for you? I mean shit...

snacknuts

we all knew her
My Hangouts impression since yesterday is that they really don't have a fucking clue about how to solve their messaging fiasco of several google services under the same login but each one with a different contact list and will keep on throwing shit at a wall in complete desperation hoping something will stick.

Yeah, the app looks really cool and edgy with nice animations and bells and whistles... but that's it. The actual app behind the design is completely lacking and reeks of being put together in a couple of afternoons in order to making it for the IO.

I have no idea what you're talking about. It has been a completely smooth experience for me so far.

From the PC browser?

How did you activated all access? I´m not seeing any "all access" option there, only in the smartphone :|

Ya from the PC browser. I just went to the music store and there's a giant tile at the top that says All Access trial of something like that. Sorry not at home now so can't check for you.

beje

Banned
I have no idea what you're talking about. It has been a completely smooth experience for me so far.

- Mixed Gmail, G+, Gtalk and phone contacts with no way to group them
- No way to filter out contacts that still don't have the service (instead they expect us to spam them)
- No way to sort contacts by online status or easily see who's online
- No way to change your status (Busy, Away, Hidden, etc.)
- Needs to install a Chrome extension to use on a computer (no standalone app for non-chrome users)
- Settings tab only accessible from the chat list sheet. It actually took me a while to realise it as my chat list was empty so I was never there

All this together is a strong hint of quickly put together or at the very least, that they designed the UI before doing actual programming job on it because I cannot understand how such a "pretty" an slick app can be so lacking in features and polish as it's usually the other way round.

They need to actually fold all of your Google Talk, G+ Messenger, and Google Voice contacts into one single list with no duplicates, and then integrate SMS a la iMessage for Android users (and allow iOS users to register their phone numbers in the app so Android users can converse with them that way).

Then, if Google ever feels ready to actually battle the carriers instead of giving them what they want, VoIP calling.

beje

Banned
Two more things that are more or less connected:

First of all, they are two years late. Currently the market of always-on-IM-apps is saturated (at least in my country, guess it would be more or less similar for others) by Whatsapp, LINE and Facebook Chat so the Hangouts use is going to be marginal at best no matter how much they try to shove it down people's throat, exactly the same as Google+

And second, a green speech bubble icon? Seriously? Are they even trying in building some brand image? Or just desperately trying to piggyback on others' success? This is what my messaging folder looks like...

fZhHK7y.jpg

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Nah, but if you put an american address/postcode and phone number alongside your card it works fine.

I even went back into google wallet and changed back to my UK address for future purchases and the subscription seems like it will work fine.

I used http://www.getusvpn.com/ and then signed into google music (on PC/web browser).

GodDAMN it, I wasted so much time and didn't even try this!

THANKS BRAH!

gcubed

They need to actually fold all of your Google Talk, G+ Messenger, and Google Voice contacts into one single list with no duplicates, and then integrate SMS a la iMessage for Android users (and allow iOS users to register their phone numbers in the app so Android users can converse with them that way).

Then, if Google ever feels ready to actually battle the carriers instead of giving them what they want, VoIP calling.

they really needed to merge all their services on the same day, not roll out the different experiences at different times. gmail and google+ websites should convert as soon as you install it on chrome or android.

Pctx

Banned
Quite frankly I think most of knew that this years conference wasn't going to be hardware centric like the past. Plus, it gives a good overview of how confident Google is with its current offerings on how well they are doing. I didn't expect this to be an "Apple style" presser of a new OS or new hardware since thats not what it is about. It's refreshing that Google remembered that.

SimleuqiR

I think Google forgot about a nexus 7 refresh

Forgot? Nah! I think the fact that there is no new revision during I/O means that the next Nexus 7 upgrade is going to have some nice beefed up internals.

I also hope the delay means they are giving themselves enough time to ramp up production so when it does release their is plenty of stock for the November-December shopping season.

I would prefer they release all the Nexus devices at once, coupled with a new OS update (KLP for 2013) every year!

I still don't see the link to switch over to Hangouts on Gmail.

This is actually a good thing, unless all your contacts are on Google+ and are already using Hangouts on mobile. Otherwise, whomever is using a 3rd party app to sign into Gtalk will probably not be able to communicate with you (I think).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I was holding out getting a Nexus until the refresh. I'll still hold out now. I don't have any Android devices and was looking to get a tablet as they allow a little more freedom for stuff than the iPads (which my girfriend has anyway), but I don't see any reason to pick up a tablet that's already a year old. Will probably just go without and see if I still want one whenever they do get a refresh.

I still don't see the link to switch over to Hangouts on Gmail.

I don't either and I'm still a little confused about what Hangouts is accomplishing. What exactly did it combine? From what I can see it is google talk with less options but more emoticons. Should I not see my Google+ conversations in the app?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I don't either and I'm still a little confused about what Hangouts is accomplishing. What exactly did it combine? From what I can see it is google talk with less options but more emoticons.

It has 'equalized' and added functionality across Talk, Google+ and Messenger. Which is good, but not enough. SMS is extremely important (looks like apk teardowns and dogfooding rumours are showing that this is in the works) to really be a heavy hitter. And also, while I don't have Voice - a lot of people do and want that service folded in as well. My guess is that will come when SMS comes, it would be bad to integrate voice before SMS functionality was in.

It has 'equalized' and added functionality across Talk, Google+ and Messenger. Which is good, but not enough. SMS is extremely important (looks like apk teardowns and dogfooding rumours are showing that this is in the works) to really be a heavy hitter. And also, while I don't have Voice - a lot of people do and want that service folded in as well. My guess is that will come when SMS comes, it would be bad to integrate voice before SMS functionality was in.

So if I post a direct message to someone on G+ it should also show up in my hangouts feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom