• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

Hangouts on Android is asking me to confirm my phone number.

I use Google Voice and it's showing my REAL Verizon number, not my Voice number. Which do I confirm??

WillPwn4Food

Neo Member
I'm not even sure I understand why Google needs our phone number for hangouts if you can't send a sms through the app. That is, unless you CAN send an sms and I just have no idea how.

linsivvi

I'm not even sure I understand why Google needs our phone number for hangouts if you can't send a sms through the app. That is, unless you CAN send an sms and I just have no idea how.

I suppose it is used as the unique id like how whatsapp handles contact lists.

everyone i know uses whatsapp anyway.

Same. Well almost everyone anyway, but the refusal of whatsapp to innovative is frustrating. The new comers are all superior.

kinggroin

Banned
Heads up for those wondering why hangouts isn't working. You need to update Google play services first.

Still pointless at the moment though. Messenger needs to go. All my family and friends are in that app and won't go out of their way to update.

Certinty

Disappointed they didn't announce an updated Nexus 7.

Decided I wanted one so would have been perfect, not in a desperate need of one though so I'll just wait a little longer.

wrowa

everyone i know uses whatsapp anyway.

Which is why I'm surprised people are asking for SMS integration so much. I honestly can't remember when I've received an SMS the last time. Seems so dead to me...

It's also the reason why I don't think that Hangouts will ever get off the ground. None of the people I know would transfer to a new messager when all of their friends are already on whatsapp. Started Hangouts a few minutes ago and realized that I really only have four contacts on my G+ account that I actually talk to. And all of them only have a Google+ account, because we use the Hangout video chat from time to time.

SRG01

Disappointed they didn't announce an updated Nexus 7.

Decided I wanted one so would have been perfect, not in a desperate need of one though so I'll just wait a little longer.

They mentioned the other day that this Google IO was developer oriented, which it was in spades.

Android Studio is going to draw developers in for sure.

edit: If it's easy like Arduino, we could see a lot of homegrown projects in the future. Too bad they didn't talk about ADK at all.

WillPwn4Food

Neo Member
Which is why I'm surprised people are asking for SMS integration so much. I honestly can't remember when I've received an SMS the last time. Seems so dead to me...

It's also the reason why I don't think that Hangouts will ever get off the ground. None of the people I know would transfer to a new messager when all of their friends are already on whatsapp. Started Hangouts a few minutes ago and realized that I really only have four contacts on my G+ account that I actually talk to. And all of them only have a Google+ account, because we use the Hangout video chat from time to time.

Mind me asking how old you are? I'd understand if you never got a traditional text from teenagers or those in the low 20s, but those in their 30s, 40s and older seem to only send traditional texts. Heck, even those in their mid to late 20s still send regular texts to me even though I somehow have almost every messaging app there is lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
2009 = Google Ion (HTC Magic)
2010 = HTC EVO 4G
2011 = Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Series 5 Chromebook, Verizon 4G LTE Hotspot
2012 = Galaxy Nexus (GSM), Nexus 7, Nexus Q, Samsung Series 3 Chromebox
2013 = Chromebook Pixel

The new Android Studio was not working for me for some reason (Windows). It would open a cmd process and that's it.

Turns out the problem is that my %JDK% environment variable wasn't set. Android Studio actually runs a script (studio.sh in Linux and studio.bat in Windows) upon startup and the script terminates if your %JDK% environment variable isn't set (but the cmd process isn't terminated).

In case someone else has problems, just posting that info there.

TxdoHawk

One of the ways you can search for contacts to start a Hangout message with is by phone number, it appears to be for that, at least for now.

Fatalah

I confirmed my phone number with Hangouts, and Google texted me a verification code. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it!

it's a very regional thing. all my family in the Caribbean and the UK use WhatsApp while in the US everyone uses SMS, or if they have an iPhone, iMessage.

Cipherr

No new version. Fuck this conference.

I have to wonder....

(Enter alternate reality)

Android 4.3 announced with:

New PlayStore overhaul
New Maps incoming
New GMusic makeover
New Streaming service in GMusic
New App called "Keep" for taking notes.
New Hangouts service for Chrome/Android/iOS
New Google Now Widget
New Google Wallet UI update and changes
New G+ Redesign
Google Play Games announced with Cloud saves
College Sports added to Google Now
User Reviews now available in Play Store Dev console
Developers can now reply to review comments

Would people be satisfied. Because they have rolled out all of those updates and changes and some over the last few months including today, they just didn't hold them all and call it 4.3. Instead they got rolled out as they finished developing them. Is it the new shit we want? Or the increase in the version number.

Cool, you can now upload epubs to google books.

Nice.

They ever talk about their plans on replacing google talk and google messenger? Last I heard they were going to wipe them and replace them with something new.

wario

for hangouts, I just hit the skip button when it asked me to confirm my phone number. are there added features by confirming?

linsivvi

Mind me asking how old you are? I'd understand if you never got a traditional text from teenagers or those in the low 20s, but those in their 30s, 40s and older seem to only send traditional texts. Heck, even those in their mid to late 20s still send regular texts to me even though I somehow have almost every messaging app there is lol

It's not an age thing. In some countries SMS costs money so the first thing people do when they get a smartphone is to start using messengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom