• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Nexus 9 |OT| Looks like an iPad, must be an iPad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Android Central's hands-on has a few comparison shots with the Nexus 7 so you can get an idea of the size increase, all things considered it's not too bad:
nexus-9-hands-on-19kyqhy.jpg
nexus-9-hands-on-02wepey.jpg
nexus-9-hands-on-01znq3d.jpg
nexus-9-hands-on-229fp2n.jpg

Zeppu

Anyone know of a retailer in the UK selling this? Not amazon with their silly 15th December release date. Someone release on time (who isn't Google Play Store).

Thanks.

e_i

I wonder why Amazon doesn't have a release date with the black models of the Nexus 9. They say November 3rd for the white models, but not the black ones.

FYI: Newegg has all models except the Sand one, including the LTE model. They also have a code for $20 off (visacheckout). There's also free shipping on all of the models except white/16 GB.

Aiii

So not worth it
I guess no overseas shipping?

By the time you get it the added costs will have exceeded whatever you pay in your home country anyways. Esp. since most overseas shipping now automatically adds tax+customs costs, eliminating any chance you have of not paying those (which in NL is pretty common, shipping from the US has gotten so much more expensive since USPS added that service for webshops).

Finally pulled the trigger on a 16 GB Black model from Newegg, thankfully they don't tax in AZ so I saved myself a good $30 there.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hmm so Amazon seems to not have any info on when mine will ship, despite being one of the first to preorder. I wonder what my chances are of just walking into Staples right down the road from me on Sunday and getting them to sell me it early. Or what the chances are Monday night when I get home at like 6:40 stopping by and them still having one for me to buy. I'm fully ready to drop my Nexus 7, it's just not doing it anymore. Sometimes it runs fine, or rather OK, but most times it's running in super duper slow mo. I need to Old Yeller it ASAP.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just the 16GB black version, all other models appear to be another two days from shipping. At least the Dutch store says they ship before November 5th.

Laekon

I wish some reviews would start showing up. After being disappointed in the Air 2's vibration issue I want to see how this stacks up. I don't use any Apple specific apps so as long as the battery life and performance is good I might make the switch.

The U.S. store has everything in stock but the 16GB sand.

Benedict

Want to see reviews as well.
Really would like to upgrade my N7 2012 to an N9 or my Kindle Basic to a Paperwhite.
But might wait until next years versions to see some pricedrops or new versions...
Or just choose one.

Maybe interested in Galaxy Tab S as an cheaper option, but not fond of forced apps.

iOS is shockingly bad as a tablet OS but the app ecosystem (particularly in terms of games) is unmatched.

That's it in a nutshell.

Pretty much. While I'm still going with an android phone, I made the switch to an iPad because of the app support. My other reason was to find one with good media support, specifically .mkv and I don't want to waste time re-encoding, but it looks like both tablets are lacking.

iOS is shockingly bad as a tablet OS but the app ecosystem (particularly in terms of games) is unmatched.

That's it in a nutshell.

I actually prefer iOS in tablet form than phone form for some reason. Android for phones. iOS for tablets.

I am interested in the Nexus 9, though. I haven't been able to find size comparisons between the iPad Air and Nexus 9. I'm interested to know if the Nexus 9 can be held with one hand.

Aiii

So not worth it
I actually prefer iOS in tablet form than phone form for some reason. Android for phones. iOS for tablets.

I am interested in the Nexus 9, though. I haven't been able to find size comparisons between the iPad Air and Nexus 9. I'm interested to know if the Nexus 9 can be held with one hand.

Haven't seen side-by-side shots of the iPad Air and the Nexus 9 yet, but how about a comparison to the Mini, instead?

Haven't seen side-by-side shots of the iPad Air and the Nexus 9 yet, but how about a comparison to the Mini, instead?

Thanks for that. Tough to tell if I'll be able to comfortably hold it with one hand. Probably will have to wait until it comes to Best Buy or something so I can try it in person. It doesn't look much bigger than the iPad Mini, though, so I'm hopeful! One of the main reasons I couldn't stick with the original Nexus 7 was because it was 16:9. I like 4:3 for tablets so the Nexus 9 is really appealing to me right now..we'll see.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Bahh tried a couple stores today but none had it in stock nor knew when they would, said to try back tomorrow, but not to expect much. Here's hoping Amazon gets some soon to fulfill my order with them.

todd360

Bahh tried a couple stores today but none had it in stock nor knew when they would, said to try back tomorrow, but not to expect much. Here's hoping Amazon gets some soon to fulfill my order with them.

The thirst is real. I'm trying to convince myself to wait for christmas.

So Newegg used to say that the tablet is coming out on 11/03. Now it's saying 11/07. Why'd they push it back all of a sudden?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The thirst is real. I'm trying to convince myself to wait for christmas.

Indeed it is. Though I am in real need of a new tablet though. My good ol' Nexus 7 2012 is struggling a great deal these days and I am keen to put it out to pasture. I really hope Staples gets in a few tomorrow and I can convince them to hold one for me till I get off work and there round 7.

reKon

Banned
I keep asking myself why I haven't gotten a windows tablet/laptop. The apps is what was holding me back... then I realized that 80% of the time I'm browsing anyways and those windows 8.1 tablets destroy both iOS and android in browsing and overall performance.

Then I also realized that the MBA has that 14 hour battery, can dual boot with windows, and is actually priced well. Still waiting on the best combination of everything in one device. The surface 3 / Yoga Pro 2 comes close...

Stasis

Google Play store always said it was leaving the warehouse on November 3rd.

They charged my CC today (charge when item is shipped...) and the listing now says it's in stock and leaves the warehouse within 1-2 days. I'm assuming all is well. Guess I'll see tomorrow.

Pre-ordered on day 1 fwiw.

Aiii

So not worth it
Well, first review is in, courtesy of Phonearena.com.

Very good result, screen seems to be quite good, battery life seems to be excellent.

Their conclusion:
Modesty, that’s what makes the Google Nexus 9 an unsuspecting threat in the tablet space. The specs and design aren’t insanely out there, to drastically separate it from the existing crop of competition, but rather, it’s what it delivers with its overall package that gives it such an inviting presence – one that undoubtedly embodies all the qualities we want in that near-perfect tablet.

We’ve explored its humbling design, dived deep into the new Android 5.0 Lollipop experience, and even put it through one intensive battery testing, to come to the conclusion that it’s arguably one of the most delightful tablets to launch this year. Best of all, its starting price of $399 undercuts many of its rivals in the process, since the pricing alone goes a long way in giving it some serious value. For the money and all, the Nexus 9 doesn’t disappoint with its specs sheet, performance, and software experience.

HTC has been out of the tablet game for a considerable amount of time, failing to earn its presence in the space, but with the arrival of the Google Nexus 9, they’ve undeniably brought together something that follows in tradition to the Nexus line. Conversely, it’s Google that takes a lot of credit, seeing that Android 5.0 Lollipop shows why it’s the most advanced tablet platform around!

Everything about the Android experience has been refined and enhanced with not only some features that are “in-your-face,” but they’ve meticulously ensured to us that it has far more depth than its rivals. From being a fun tablet for playing games, to a productivity focused one that’s handy for pulling out work while on the road, the Google Nexus 9 has a presence that resonates deeply in the space. And we can’t neglect to mention that it’s super affordable in the process! What more can we ask, seriously?

Pros
The pricing is absolutely competitive at $399
Material Design gives the interface an inviting presence
Android 5.0 Lollipop dishes us several cool features
Battery is far more lasting than its contemporaries
Precise color reproduction with its display

Cons
Hollowness with its construction
Low lighting performance is weak with its camera

Final score: 9.3/10

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hmm. A Best Buy 30 minutes away from me has them in stock. I can order online and pick up in the store when I get home, but that's a pretty huge detour that will take at least an hour roundtrip. I'm gonna try Staples again in an hour and hope they have some in stock so I can just pick it up on the way home, no hassle. Otherwise I'll probably cave and make the trip.

I'll wait until there's a discount on the Nexus 9.

Last year, Staple or some similar company offered 20% off coupon for tablets and Bestbuy priced matched it!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Crap. I'm rooting for you to get one today and post impressions lol

One BB had one but it was display model not for sale. Trying some others now. A few have 16gb models, but I convinced myself to get the 32gb since I figure my apps usage will increase now that I can run a lot more stuff.

todd360

One BB had one but it was display model not for sale. Trying some others now. A few have 16gb models, but I convinced myself to get the 32gb since I figure my apps usage will increase now that I can run a lot more stuff.

best of luck to you.

Jeff-DSA

I'll probably get this for my dad for Christmas. He's been using a Nexus 7 for the past two years and he's due for an upgrade.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Still a day or two out, best I can tell only the black 16GB is out so far.

A few stores definitely had them. BB website showed them available in a few stores in the NYC area, still one in NJ in fact. Just the inventory must be very low, they're all sold out now.

todd360

A few stores definitely had them. BB website showed them available in a few stores in the NYC area, still one in NJ in fact. Just the inventory must be very low, they're all sold out now.

Launch day sounds pretty bad. Kinda glad I'm waiting now.

e_i

Damn, I think I got the last one at my Best Buy. Their website says that the BB store doesn't have it. Damn.

I think I'll keep my Amazon order because I want the white. No best buy in the area has the white in stock. I do hope they ship soon tho.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sand isn't available anywhere, yet. Just black and white, with only the 16GB Black one shipping today and the others shipping "before" 5-11 in the Google Play Store.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh, just got the e-mail from the Google Play store with the tracking code for my white 32GB model! Yay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom