• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It did? It always used to take an age. Whats the quickest way then? I'm currently using the USB-C to USB-A cable plugged into the dongle and then the power mains. That surely should be drawing the most power for quickest charge?

Husker86

It did? It always used to take an age. Whats the quickest way then? I'm currently using the USB-C to USB-A cable plugged into the dongle and then the power mains. That surely should be drawing the most power for quickest charge?
It will say "Charging rapidly" on the lock screen if it is. Need USB-C -> USB-C.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I really can't wait for the next generation of this phone. Seems like a really promising starting point. I love the phone and will likely upgrade in two years.

Cudder

The camera better keep being a focus of the Pixel line going forward. I think I'm waiting until next years revision. Don't skimp on it Googy.

BlitzKeeg

I'm in the market for a new phone and I've been eyeing the Pixel since it came out. I was just wondering what some of you current owners think of it's downsides.

Is the lack of additional storage hampering you at all? I'd likely go for the 128gb because I like to download podcasts regularly and the more music I can keep locally the better. I've also started using Youtube Red's local video storage, so that's a new factor.

By the same token is the lack of a removable battery causing anyone issues? I personally never replaced the battery on my current Galaxy S4 even though I probably should have by now.

One of the big reasons I got an android phone to begin with was the custom storage and battery options, but after using my S4 for almost 3 years I only expanded my storage to about 30gigs and never swapped the battery even though it's getting really bad now.

What I like most about the Pixel is Nougat android because I'm really sick of Samsung's spin on the OS. I just want a phone with no bloatware and a solid speed for basic tasks (and crap like TouchWiz to stop crashing -_-).

What I like most about android is the heavy Google integration and widgets, so it seems like the Pixel is ideal, but I'm afraid of not having those storage and battery options. I don't know what other phone I'd be happy with if it wasn't the Pixel though.

I'd be getting the normal sized one btw. Not the XL.

Should I just pull the trigger or is there a better option?

The 128GB is more than enough for me, but I don't put a whole lot of apps on it, and not a whole lot of music. I only listen to one podcast too.

No issues with the battery so far. I rarely plug it in too.

I'm in the market for a new phone and I've been eyeing the Pixel since it came out. I was just wondering what some of you current owners think of it's downsides.

Is the lack of additional storage hampering you at all? I'd likely go for the 128gb because I like to download podcasts regularly and the more music I can keep locally the better. I've also started using Youtube Red's local video storage, so that's a new factor.

By the same token is the lack of a removable battery causing anyone issues? I personally never replaced the battery on my current Galaxy S4 even though I probably should have by now.

One of the big reasons I got an android phone to begin with was the custom storage and battery options, but after using my S4 for almost 3 years I only expanded my storage to about 30gigs and never swapped the battery even though it's getting really bad now.

What I like most about the Pixel is Nougat android because I'm really sick of Samsung's spin on the OS. I just want a phone with no bloatware and a solid speed for basic tasks (and crap like TouchWiz to stop crashing -_-).

What I like most about android is the heavy Google integration and widgets, so it seems like the Pixel is ideal, but I'm afraid of not having those storage and battery options. I don't know what other phone I'd be happy with if it wasn't the Pixel though.

I'd be getting the normal sized one btw. Not the XL.

Should I just pull the trigger or is there a better option?

I can only relate my own experience. I'll keep it brief. I've got the Pixel XL.

Speed of the device is great.

Screen is great.

External speaker is meh.

Battery life is great (getting 6-7hrs SOT).

No non Google bloat.

I'd say you'll need the 128 GB if you store a lot of stuff offline. I don't and I don't play many games but I'm still using 21gb. YMMV.

Amazing camera.

Exceptional performance.

Overall? Great phone.

BlitzKeeg

I can only relate my own experience. I'll keep it brief. I've got the Pixel XL.

Speed of the device is great.

Screen is great.

External speaker is meh.

Battery life is great (getting 6-7hrs SOT).

No non Google bloat.

I'd say you'll need the 128 GB if you store a lot of stuff offline. I don't and I don't play many games but I'm still using 21gb. YMMV.

Amazing camera.

Exceptional performance.

Overall? Great phone.

Thanks guys. I feel like I should go with it. This is the logical conclusion to what I've wanted for a long time out of Android. Just Google all the way on a good phone. No more extra layers or bloat.
I probably would have gotten a Nexus years ago if I could, so it only makes sense that I should go this route.
I've heard nothing but good things, so I don't think I'll be going wrong.

My girlfriend just got a really blue Pixel. The camera is godly in low light.

Yeah, it took some goat pictures at Disney last night.

Yeah, it's ridiculously good at night time. Here's a couple pics I took the other weekend:

cOjGbgY7hLzHieZcpvIxWEDHCMzdn_J5EEArTwxjBUXJUq9vKGYLobyqKLjKX-UDQu32xxzGuW9V12QtiPfT2n05FM6FcVqDf_DhbCSljHTyqnVxcwGFvcJ3-aDfe-SyuIvIC2o_JO7d3h4gFxoIkYuqVBQgDHppR_pZEDMzyGQ3HHSO_D6S6HvZTHpZdh8rZlZ6Ni9Z1MpEJ7MsS2ZO3CsJBFBs2pGO25M1we0Ty6Lc2GVKjSt8uX7N7AqHUErYhAnvYxqyVDQq3EkYvYTSCfsadDK_L8moWdQyNZcKzybDHT6BxT7c6XFutXlHgeaw8JnB2iOK3wZRqSRfR-ML8LdMIa1qP-A8EsFipAJAKrU2GwchjX1fS7GVyZ6zenQ14Pt1C-VopJp5Z3tRpLl6SDH4fJiN0zH0VSuw-Hn1TUMH_7t4hNyMnhRBenmAAx4l93bnFSgDKEGLrL8pRU4IpFLBQVFHnNVq7pepIRCFm5KFaAj6Lb5rvF1Ak3IsuqsNy8PG51BKLrZP-SzDLhdc1R2dXeEsYpGD--yl5dY74EXJ9bjoEMQ2MuclNPAa6pHFuuTF58BAgmoXRK02_FAF84zSSYd6OIhCfJtadHspjaXc-xc1Rt7uKg=w1202-h902-no

moR6CdaAGVEvE9zkvE4bykksNjtuAFxxjLoVQRlRfs8pxz9ek8mbGsBneNETS5cWoF-9BWWpAlGtJULHJlx0XSolyXbMksHmG356LQ8c9XAJNv7z0FG2VouGg-zlgjpMM0Ch0DK19MDGThe8xRGxCM8e6ySxgWB4EdVbh2Hxso6iu2Kn7LVw6JaFkRCoSKGcjvVDnKiRAHnJzO2h4WUl-Fqf5CTSl6p4LluL4kEcO1KX5xsehTHfcGuhCZWHHtsKZCyOwnRG6bQFDX3h0qG2qWhvR5c4hJJvy9MwuB2hBYqbYVmne3x5v3CPYbxoNUj2gJKimb15Od2HQWRAS8c6EY5ADti2KmTOwUUpReSs7rw4GiGWm2VnDVLw6k--T3Sx1WFSFbrf3vm7L4HjW-LJ1AQoCxy8DLMDscZAeAUbZlNBYghXWQ3JfQBMK2oxSqwJM5V6w4YJ3PDCR-jwW62N27OtxATkdt-i4TyaMKzgsueOi48fPwhvJvUgFEcjlcmq7A91sGojEtl0Uv3oLHISJFRpHh3e6RmMgRvgb8oanG92h1Huj9IteLAyM1_czxJNd9FNwRI-ZYW0QU7REH4sEc5JZ5zdTVXC0OsCKo7iynj2Wawoo0nsOA=w676-h901-no

m9NMV5hxtW8xC_7T0ojkYpjSvxvXD3dN6q4Nu-p2wtXRGWh9WAlxnVurk_IaIPhEq8UeBdmkbjI11bcAH9VH20rZBjlXURKBamBw7f1U5WQUZuIfX9bYGI8YGQ8bIbirA1PQBBcHAp84S4Aba3O_mR756TW0b3xqKiYo9p7n3tBgXkk3Yz_bUfVwDLtC9HfBEF5cCRuA_BFVIGVrUeEZldjge2wobe-zBhXR0rtEBiQQ5sKpjWUUpVzpiWOlVU-0GtuENx4OuiFB_Rfgmzl5Er2JybR2aqHpbkO9_vhShpPh8hlo6JNq2KgIDujEPPKNoMjyEC4Ho6bD4IwcshPwoATnnN-1RzyzBLwH4ewItM_2NuDCIGoyLPWgQgXPv_1suOWD-l4ZIRustw5z0nKaVndELI2pXj10UMPc0mpx-OAl1QAto1JgbDi9-e0xCg7fmftpoAZXP9u9DhHFkNT8WnG7XRVBIrBGJDvr513PViZk2S5hSHA6suN2rU3DLkm2q6vMpHgha9fYh48-5szx63aVFaf2Wqh06OsXj1YFPteCnR-JOOfNsfrpfapJ4eLIKrEyIhvxtpU1bMaX3plELpY7Y9X_Vv_tmmRVSRYip4yQiqnPjA=w676-h901-no

Cake Boss

Banned
God damn I just picked up a Pixel, regular size. Holy fuck this phone is pure sex.

I really don't get people who don't like the style of it. I got the white 5' and it looks like pure sex.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
God damn I just picked up a Pixel, regular size. Holy fuck this phone is pure sex.

I really don't get people who don't like the style of it. I got the white 5' and it looks like pure sex.

Fucking huge and useless bezels. It looks nice but there is no point for the bottom bezel at all.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Fucking huge and useless bezels. It looks nice but there is no point for the bottom bezel at all.

Makes it easier to reach the OS buttons by bringing them higher, centers the screen when being used landscape and gives lips to hold with both hands.

*shrug*

I have decided to get a Pixel XL and unfortunately it is sold out on the Google Store (inexcusable from Google). Could I buy this phone straight out from Verizon and use it on T-Mobile? Is it unlocked? I currently own a Nexus 6 btw.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Never heard of this "Huge and useless bazels" complain prior to pixel launch. Aren't all iPhones have "Huge and useless bazels?" now suddenly everywhere there is only one thing to complain about. Pixel is ugly, huge bezels lol

I am not saying its not big. But don't find it bothering at all. and don't see why this has become #1 complain.

SMattera

I have decided to get a Pixel XL and unfortunately it is sold out on the Google Store (inexcusable from Google). Could I buy this phone straight out from Verizon and use it on T-Mobile? Is it unlocked? I currently own a Nexus 6 btw.

I'm pretty sure. You might have to buy one month of Verizon service though.

Never heard of this "Huge and useless bazels" complain prior to pixel launch. Aren't all iPhones have "Huge and useless bazels?" now suddenly everywhere there is only one thing to complain about. Pixel is ugly, huge bezels lol

I am not saying its not big. But don't find it bothering at all. and don't see why this has become #1 complain.
people have been hating on iphone bezels for years, but it's somewhat justified by the home button.

The pixel bezels are needlessly large and harm the design. You may not mind but it's there and could be better.

thespot84

people have been hating on iphone bezels for years, but it's somewhat justified by the home button.

The pixel bezels are needlessly large and harm the design. You may not mind but it's there and could be better.

As an owner I completely disagree. The screen needs to maintain a reasonable aspect ratio while the displacement of the bezel influences where your hand falls for a pleasant, or not so pleasant, touch screen experience. If the bottom bezel were any smaller the thumb would be too high on the screen for one handed use. The top bezel height is needed for sensors and the earpeice, and the equal width of the top and bottom as it is provides a nice frame, particularly in landscape. It is OK to not like the bezels, but to declare them bad design is more than a little presumptuous.

Most importantly, unless someone brings up the bezels and I look at them explicitly, I NEVER notice them when using the phone. That is great evidence of solid design.

Now onto actually important stuff, has anyone had random lockups with the phone? I have the 128gb and I'm not close to full on space, and no apps seem to have crazy battery or cpu usage but every few days it just freezes while I use it and I have to restart.

Moreche

Is the pixel really the dream android phone? I am looking at jumping off the Apple bandwagon as I personally believe that AI I the future and I just don't know how Apple can keep up when they don't collect my data the way Google does.
I don't mind giving up my data if it means I can get something like google assistant.

Is the pixel really the dream android phone? I am looking at jumping off the Apple bandwagon as I personally believe that AI I the future and I just don't know how Apple can keep up when they don't collect my data the way Google does.
I don't mind giving up my data if it means I can get something like google assistant.

Yes, it's terrific.

The Pixel is the dream phone. Period. Not just the Android dream phone. In my opinion of course.

This is coming from someone who has owned over a dozen phones, seeking out that formerly unattainable 'dream phone' for the last 10 years.

Moreche

The Pixel is the dream phone. Period. Not just the Android dream phone. In my opinion of course.

This is coming from someone who has owned over a dozen phones, seeking out that formerly unattainable 'dream phone' for the last 10 years.
Thanks for the advice. I think google assistant with google home could be the future and I just don't know how Apple can compete.

Got my January 2017 security update on my Verizon Pixel XL just now. Super happy to see VZW staying true to their word about not delaying the updates.

I'm hoping to get one in the coming weeks from Verizon.

I want the XL

My credit isn't amazing, but I'm hoping they won't require a deposit.

CaptainABAB

My Nexus 5x has been suffering from severe performance issues lately - especially in certain apps: Chrome, Snapchat, etc. And now the GPS is acting up.

What I'm considering in terms of an upgrade: Nexus 6P or the Pixel. I can get the 6P via google fi for $400. My biggest issue with the Pixel is the cost - is it really worth the extra $250+?

redlegs87

I have a 5x currently and am thinking if I get a decent enough tax refund that I'll use a portion to get a Pixel. Though I am having a hard time justifying it as the 5x is working perfectly fine for me right now and isn't having any issues. My second option is to wait til this coming December when I'll be getting a return on a certain investment and I could get the next google phone if it's out by then. Just can't make up my mind.

Still haven't been able to order my darn phone. All Pixel XL models (the 128GB model) fucking sold out. I've been stalking the webpage all day and nada.

Dead

well not really...yet
Still haven't been able to order my darn phone. All Pixel XL models (the 128GB model) fucking sold out. I've been stalking the webpage all day and nada.
Are signing up for the mail notification?

I signed up and got an email saying he phone was in stock within a day.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So has anyone broken the back glass on their Pixel yet? Mine somehow shattered while in an Incipo case. I am still perplexed on how it could have happened. The only reason I noticed it was when I attempted to take a photo. There was a strange light reflection on the lens so I turned my phone around and was heartbroken.

I absolutely love the pixel though. Aside from the dumb back glass it is an astonishing device that runs perfectly.

I love it so much that I don't want to send it in for repair and have to go back to my 5x while waiting for it to be fixed. That said where should I take it for repair? Are there any goog authorized repair places? I want to make sure it stays within warranty if possible.

Edit- nvm found it https://www.ubreakifix.com is the one Google suggests but it'll be out of warranty. 149 isn't too bad a price though.

Edit 2- wow so 179.99 to replace the entire back panel they can't replace just the glass, yet. They kinda hinted at maybe being able to get just the glass in the future but as of now google only sells them the entire back unit. It might not be a terrible thing. They will let me take the backplate once it arrives and spray paint it so I can make myself a custom back with shiny red paint... Hmm...I need to think on this. Phone is still completely functional including fingerprint reader.

This is unbelievable. This phone (the Pixel XL 128GB) is still oos on the Google Store, it's so infuriating especially when I need a new phone. Refuse to buy an iPhone and won't settle for less.

Google get your shit together ffs.

Dead

well not really...yet
Meanwhile, I got my Pixel XL yesterday. 10 days earlier than the original shipping estimate!

Pretty cool so far. Like it way more than the 6P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom