• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia OT

Interfectum

Give Stadia a chance, please:
Get Out Smile GIF by Get Out Movie

Officially, yes.
Behind the curtain, they are currently testing Nvidia GPU with Stadia. Maybe they are waiting to have the best launch in South America (GFN and Xcloud were crowded), maybe they are waiting a switch to Nividia blades. Maybe Google considered AMD wouldn't be able to supply Stadia blades (PS5 and Series X being a priority), maybe NVIDIA made a great offer to Google ?
Maybe the CEO is waiting to see the results of the Stadia Port Team to decide additional launches...or not.
Maybe Stadia is dying.

blitz64

I like Stadia and technology works great. I had a few months trial of pro.
However, I rather play on steam for most of the games they have.

Topher

Gold Member
The problem with Stadia is that it is a gamble. If it fails.....goodbye the games you bought. With GFN, the games are still available on other services.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
The problem with Stadia is that it is a gamble. If it fails.....goodbye the games you bought. With GFN, the games are still available on other services.

GFN

Exactly, the business model is safer than Stadia.
If you have the choice between a game on Stadia and the same on Steam GFN compatible, then go for steam !

Stadia
Yeah, Stadia is a gambling at full price.

Don't buy it.

As for losing our games, it's not that simple: Terms mention refunds but it's not crystal clear. Do they use vague wording to screw you ?
Cannot say. Big company make money but it's too easy to accuse them on every level:

For instance, i have been screwed by small companies, by GAFAM like Microsoft but amazing experience with the "devil" Amazon : Fast refund, no question asked, great prime value (music, video games, movies with less woke crap than netflix).
Also had a good experience with Google, i bought a 30FPS Ubi game on sale, played like 90 minutes and regretted it. I activated the refund option, no question asked, refund completed. Some mid size companies sometimes pissed me off for 5 bucks, for instance.

Stadia games on sales

At full price, i'll tell people to pass.
I'm clear on the subject.

On sales, that's a different story, there are sometimes insane value from Google.

Cyberpunk/Controller/Chromecast Ultra at 60 bucks. Sorry to tell the truth but you were the suckers, not the Stadians.
I bought the Chromecast Ultra and Google gave me a good controller + Cyberpunk. Last gen gamers had 20 FPS, GFN users had 1 hour queues, i had 60FPS, no queue and the game was free for me because i did need a chromecast...

Resident Evil 8/CCU/Controller:
Same shit ! I needed a present for someone, i paid the device and the game was free for me...

48h/Mega Sales : Sometimes there are ultra discounts. Last year, Valhalla was sold at 17 bucks.
At that price, even with uncertain future of Stadia, it has value because you can play it in many different places (family, office) and you can share it 5 times.

Valhalla at full price > NOPE

Valhalla at 17 bucks on Stadia > Fuck yeah = 1 cloud version for me + 5 cloud versions for my buddies + easy access from many places.

Cloud exclusives like RDR2 ?
Same thing.
Full price, nope.
On sales ? Up to you... Why did i decide to take it anyway ? Well, i waited months for a GFN compatibility and it's still absent. I don't want a PS4 for 3 games and maybe i'll be dead next year waiting for the GFN compatibility. (there is currently a war in europe and nuclear talks 😅, it's not like i'm completely crazy 😆). I had amazing time with RDR2 at 60FPS in Saint Denis and don't regret it a single time)

Fredrik

I was a supporter for a year, the tech worked great at my location and the specs were better than on PS4 and XB1 which meant some games ran at higher framerates. But once I tried GFN and realized games pretty much always ran at 60fps with better visuals at similar latency and once nextgen consoles arrived and once Google closed down their internal studios… Then I jumped out.

I heard the upgraded blade rumors when I was a subscriber too. Never happened. And today it’s too late. You already have Nvidia GPUs on GFN where you can also play your Steam games, what’s Stadia bringing to the table here? Easy of use I guess. GFN is insanely janky when you have 2FA.

Fat Frog

Then I jumped out.

what’s Stadia bringing to the table here? Easy of use I guess.
What's Stadia bringing to the table ?

Far more than ease of use:
- Classic games and important Japanese publishers: Games like Sekiro, RDR2, Dragon Quest XI, Resident Evil, titles you don't find on GFN because Google paid for them...
- No queue.
- Smart versions:Fifa 22 is old gen on PC, next gen on Stadia.
- New Stadia features very often
- Family Share : You don't buy 1 game on Stadia but 6.

You jumped out ? It means you only bought games available on Stadia and GFN back then. You never bought a cloud exclusive on Stadia (i mean a Stadia game purchase unavailable on GFN like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Judgment ?

I mean with cloud game you don't need to jump in or jump out since there is no expensive hardware barrier anymore... with Samsung hub, you have access to 3 preinstalled cloud services.
Maybe you meant you unsub and never bought a game on it, well in that case i understand.

What's Stadia bringing to the table ?

Far more than ease of use:
- Classic games and important Japanese publishers: Games like Sekiro, RDR2, Dragon Quest XI, Resident Evil, titles you don't find on GFN because Google paid for them...
- No queue.
- Smart versions:Fifa 22 is old gen on PC, next gen on Stadia.
- New Stadia features very often
- Family Share : You don't buy 1 game on Stadia but 6.

You jumped out ? It means you only bought games available on Stadia and GFN back then. You never bought a cloud exclusive on Stadia (i mean a Stadia game purchase unavailable on GFN like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Judgment ?

I mean with cloud game you don't need to jump in or jump out since there is no expensive hardware barrier anymore... with Samsung hub, you have access to 3 preinstalled cloud services.
Maybe you meant you unsub and never bought a game on it, well in that case i understand.
Just think if you can convince the hivemind of gaf to buy into stadia, it will turn around its fortunes.

Do you have uncontrollable buyers regret?

Fat Frog

I was a supporter for a year, the tech worked great at my location and the specs were better than on PS4 and XB1 which meant some games ran at higher framerates. But once I tried GFN and realized games pretty much always ran at 60fps with better visuals at similar latency and once nextgen consoles arrived and once Google closed down their internal studios… Then I jumped out.

I heard the upgraded blade rumors when I was a subscriber too. Never happened. And today it’s too late. You already have Nvidia GPUs on GFN where you can also play your Steam games, what’s Stadia bringing to the table here? Easy of use I guess. GFN is insanely janky when you have 2FA.

This guy nailed it.
Cloud's strenght is options.

Fat Frog

As expected, publishers are now using Stadia demos to promote their games.
Win win

Fat Frog

I've been honest with you and admitted Stadia was gambling, i even said "don't buy it at full price".

A few days ago, Stadia's survival was 50/50.
(No expansion but Stadia still hiring)

This week, everything changed:

Stadia has been announced to LATAM and possibly with new Nvidia blades.(why invest in the old blades 3 years later...).

It proves Google gave Stadia another chance.

Stadia's survival is now 80/20 for short and mid term.

Don't buy Stadia at full price.(again...)

Stadia games on sales ? You would be stupid to not try it once if one game pleases you and is unavailable on other cloud or to expensive for 60FPS on PC... :Rdr2: 💅💋

Topher

Gold Member
I've been honest with you and admitted Stadia was gambling, i even said "don't buy it at full price".

A few days ago, Stadia's survival was 50/50.
(No expansion but Stadia still hiring)

This week, everything changed:

Stadia has been announced to LATAM and possibly with new Nvidia blades.(why invest in the old blades 3 years later...).

It proves Google gave Stadia another chance.

Stadia's survival is now 80/20 for short and mid term.

Don't buy Stadia at full price.(again...)

Stadia games on sales ? You would be stupid to not try it once if one game pleases you and is unavailable on other cloud or to expensive for 60FPS on PC... :Rdr2: 💅💋

Good news for Stadia fans.

Good news for low incomes gamers all around the world... 🥳
The ones who live in a first world country with good internet infrastructure and inside of a city, yes. I live close to a city in the UK and can't even get basic fibre yet, it's fucked.

Anyway, Google would never sell hentai on its service, unlike Steam, so I also can't give them my money on ethical/moral grounds.

Fat Frog

The ones who live in a first world country with good internet infrastructure and inside of a city, yes. I live close to a city in the UK and can't even get basic fibre yet, it's fucked.

Anyway, Google would never sell hentai on its service, unlike Steam, so I also can't give them my money on ethical/moral grounds.
Stadian requires stable 20mbps connection for 1080 (i guess less than 5% of LATAM has a 4K TV...).

Unstable fiber will be worse than stable 20 mbps internet.

Fat Frog

The stadia logo has been reported/hidden by fragile people 😁.

And a reminder about game ownership:
2Lr8e7L.jpg
aBkjUeH.jpg

You don't own shit on usual digital either.
Physical, yeah, you own a plastic and paper.

Jennings

Ah, that's too bad if true. I was always hoping they'd partner with Star Citizen so I wouldn't have to worry about upgrading my PC when the game comes out in order to play it on max settings.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

FYwmOq6UEAEt9Do

FYwmZjTXoAEhTnf

Also, seems they were predicting a September end point...
[/URL]

Could happen...
Nonetheless this rumor pops up every 6 months. Now, it's the "My uncle works at Google" version.

To be honest, this one seems unlikely since Google officially announced that Stadia will launch later in 2022, i guess marketed with Fifa 23.

https://9to5google.com/2022/06/30/google-stadia-mexico/

My uncle works at Google VS Stadia official expansion.
Which one is more credible ?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Could happen...
Nonetheless this rumor pops up every 6 months. Now, it's the "My uncle works at Google" version.

To be honest, this one seems unlikely since Google officially announced that Stadia will launch later in 2022, i guess marketed with Fifa 23.

https://9to5google.com/2022/06/30/google-stadia-mexico/

My uncle works at Google VS Stadia official expansion.
Which one is more credible ?
As long as you are still on the payroll I have faith man.

Fat Frog

V Voost Kain
737FC93B-D27E-434B-BE58-FDC6FF9BF872-1024x628.jpeg

Come back, my son.
With the Stadia launch in LATAM, together, we'll be able to crush by the logos bitter console warriors 😎.

I don't know why you've been banned but... apologies to GAF moderation, open a new account and join the party. 🥳

Last edited:

Rambone

I love the idea behind Stadia and when connected to a nearby datacenter it is actually a solid experience. I might take Stadia a bit more seriously once google starts upgrading the hardware to be more in line with modern gaming PCs and PS5/Series consoles.

I still like the idea of Stadia, Luna, Xcloud as there are some games I'd simply rather run over the cloud for various reasons. Some games like Cyberpunk cause my PC to sound like a jet engine and will generate a ton of heat and noise, so much so that the temp in my office will raise by 7-10 degrees Fahrenheit even with the AC on. I'd rather play something like this over the Cloud with everything maxed out (4K, 3K ultrawide, HDR and Raytracing +60fps) so I don't have to deal with the heat/noise or address the poor design choices of my nightmare Alienware Aurora R13. New World for example, I'd rather play this on Luna (its not available on Luna). Game seems like an unoptimized mess and was triggering early GPU deaths, I would rather that be Zon's hardware vs my own. Sea of Thieves, I play this on Xcloud. SoT is a fairly large install and I don't really have much space on my consoles. I don't play the game often enough to warrant keeping it on my Series S/X, so it's awesome to be able to jump into a game without waiting for it to download and update. Most of the time Xcloud is a good/serviceable experience but not as good as Stadia, without it I'd probably be playing fewer games due to lack of space.

I really ought to start taking advantage of these free demos.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I love the idea behind Stadia and when connected to a nearby datacenter it is actually a solid experience. I might take Stadia a bit more seriously once google starts upgrading the hardware to be more in line with modern gaming PCs and PS5/Series consoles.
To be honest, except a few titles, i understand a lot of western gamers not impressed by the service: most of their games runs ok on a PS4 pro and Stadia hasn't much more to offer ATM.

Indeed, a bunch of them could give Stadia a second look if new blades could outperform the PS5 like GFN did with the RTX 3080 tier and of course more AAA and next gen games.
Skull and bones won't be playable on PS4 but that's clearly not enough.(Avatar has been delayed...)
Hopefully, Stadia will arrive in LATAM and Stadia related jobs in Asia has been spotted. It should bring more people, more sales and then probably more games.

Arcadialane

You can get stadia free for a month decided to try it on a whim. It is kinda cool I can just connect my controller to my laptop or whatever else and start playing games. Overall all though, just too inconsistent, some stuff played really well, some stuff buffered too much to play.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

You understand the difference between something being down temporarily and something being taken offline forever, right?
You understand i didn't write the tweet. I just shared it for the fun of a deserved ban 🥳

Stadia haters are under pressure seeing the upcoming LATAM launch 😁. It's not a reason to insult the world, Killed by google... 😆

Last edited:
It's interesting to think about what was Google's goal with creating something as Stadia, because Google is not a gaming company, I don't know what they were trying to do with it, what was the problem that they tried to solve that other cloud streaming services weren't able to solve beforehand, if it's just purely to capitalize on the gaming market, which gets pandered to for the last several years, then this alone seem like a small reason to try your foot in a completely new environment.

It's interesting to think about what was Google's goal with creating something as Stadia, because Google is not a gaming company, I don't know what they were trying to do with it, what was the problem that they tried to solve that other cloud streaming services weren't able to solve beforehand, if it's just purely to capitalize on the gaming market, which gets pandered to for the last several years, then this alone seem like a small reason to try your foot in a completely new environment.
Yeah, it was clearly never going to work. That was obvious to everyone except Google.

It's been a fun train wreck to watch.

Fat Frog

Yeah, it was clearly never going to work. That was obvious to everyone except Google.
Not really. Some Video game outlets believed in Google's virality (youtube click to play as an ultimate weapon) and some others were also concerned about their jobs.(because the transition from a game trailer to the game itself would be a simple click...).

Nonetheless, many changed their mind because the Stadia launch was a complete disaster: Tiny line up, not impressive graphics, mandatory sub + game purchase WTF !!!

Stadia failed because it was a beta sold as expensive as a final product...
Now they're struggling to reverse the bad buzz but they could make it.
They are working on Low Change Port tools to limit the cost of producing games on Stadia, they are expanding and they're addibg new features every months.

Their fate is not secured but lately the Stadia team convinced Google to expand worldwide (that's a lot of credits since we're talking of a lot of blades for the data centers), to fund crucial AAA for LATAM (Fifa 23) and TV brands or publishers are promoting Stadia with the tools Google gave them (click to play demos, native apps on Smart TVs...)

Not really. Some Video game outlets believed in Google's virality (youtube click to play as an ultimate weapon) and some others were also concerned about their jobs.(because the transition from a game trailer to the game itself would be a simple click...).

Nonetheless, many changed their mind because the Stadia launch was a complete disaster: Tiny line up, not impressive graphics, mandatory sub + game purchase WTF !!!

Stadia failed because it was a beta sold as expensive as a final product...
Now they're struggling to reverse the bad buzz but they could make it.
They are working on Low Change Port tools to limit the cost of producing games on Stadia, they are expanding and they're addibg new features every months.

Their fate is not secured but lately the Stadia team convinced Google to expand worldwide (that's a lot of credits since we're talking of a lot of blades for the data centers), to fund crucial AAA for LATAM (Fifa 23) and TV brands or publishers are promoting Stadia with the tools Google gave them (click to play demos, native apps on Smart TVs...)
You're not fooling anyone. No one really believes you actually think Stadia is going to ever be successful. That's why you're having trouble getting people to take your ridiculous "I love Stadia" bait.

Fat Frog

You're not fooling anyone. No one really believes you actually think Stadia is going to ever be successful. That's why you're having trouble getting people to take your ridiculous "I love Stadia" bait.
I didn't say that Stadia will be 100% successful but yeah i do believe it will be more popular in LATAM for a few good reasons:
- Xcloud and GFN were so popular that queues were unbearable.(Nvidia had to divide play time of the free tier)
- Less (no?) data caps
- Next gen consoles price tag (higher)
- Fifa 23

Well, marketed (that could be the problem, indeed), Stadia could seduce the nice amount of cloud gamers tired of queues on the GFN free tier or Xcloud: I don't think it will crowded like GFN (with 3 services, the stream of cloud gamers will be well regulated) but if the success is here, then Google found a smart solution.(according to the last updates, when it's crowded, Stadia will leave the opportunity to gamers to play anyway (instead of having a queue, you'll be transferred to another data center). I guess south americans will sometimes be transferred to deserted US data centers. 😁

Don't worry, we'll know soon enough with the Mexico Launch. If Fifa 23 and PUBG (it's still insanely popular there) don't boost Stadia overall. Well, yeah, it will be time to seriously be worried about the service.
(The opposite is true if it takes off, it would wide open doors to new regions)

Fat Frog

Mandatory update 🤑:

Rockstar being all in on GT6, there will be no RDR 2 60FPS patch on your mighty PS5 for a loooong time.

Updated comparison

Playing RDR2:
Total cost Playstation 5= $590 for 30FPS lock 🤩🤩🤩
Total cost Stadia = $60 for 60FPS 💩💩💩

Stadia ? "It's a lot more FPS for less", "Jump in", "For the players" 🤡

#platform war 2022 😎

Last edited:
Top Bottom