• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Google Stadia release date UPDATE: Is this when Google will reveal more Stadia news?" (June?)

UPDATE:

Stadia price: Only $9.99 a month!

Free low tier games/android games supposedly

No changes to your gaming purchase habits, same price, same smooth transactions.

Jump into games, and trials through links on Youtube and other media and buy the game later!

Cheapest
streaming program of them all.

480 servers and sub serves dropping latency from 2000ms to 800ms which only 50% off from a Crt TV which is more accurate than most flatscreens (not all)

Top games like: Assassins Creed, Doom, Wrpgs, Anime, Tom Clancy, Grand Theft Auto, exclusive dlc, and other content.

Stadia is the best place to play because it's not just a closed community like Xbox and PlayStation, but part of the community is also on the net through Youtube and other websites and can play together through link sharing and instant transfer into a game in LESS than 5 seconds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Google-Stadia-1805233.jpg

(Google Stadia - Is this when Google will reveal the Stadia release date? (Image: GOOGLE) )​
GOOGLE STADIA fans have been left wondering when the games streaming service will have its big release date.
Google Stadia has been revealed to the world with fans left excitedly wondering when the games streaming service will have a release date.
Google Stadia was unveiled by the search engine giant earlier this month during an impressive presentation.
Google Stadia lets gamers stream titles in 4K resolution at 60 frames per second simply through their Google Chrome web browser.
It also boasts an impressive feature that will let people watching a streamer load a game on Stadia from the same save state that the streamer is at.

Google Stadia is pencilled in as having a 2019 release date, but the search engine giant haven’t revealed when this year it will be out.
Speculation is mounting over when Google could reveal more, with it previously teased that another announcement is coming in the “summer”.
In a post online Kotaku discussed Google Stadia and their thoughts on the cloud gaming project.
And Kotaku speculated that more details on Google Stadia could be revealed during E3 2019 or the week before
Both Sony and Activision aren’t attending E3 this year, so there would be space on the floor in LA for Google to fill with Stadia.
But a number of Kotaku journalists speculated that Google would be hosting its own conference during E3 2019 or just before it would be more likely.
E3 2019 kicks off on June 11, so Google Stadia fans should be keeping a close eye for news that month.
It’s believed that three games will be available at launch on Stadia - Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Doom Eternal.
A third, unannounced title is also in the works for the Google Stadia launch.
While former Ubisoft and Assassin’s Creed bigwig Jade Raymond is also working on a title for the streaming service.
In other news, the head of Google Stadia Phil Harrison recently spoke to GameSpot about the project.
Harrison said Crowd Play, which let people join in certain games being streamed live, will be a driving force behind the development of future titles.

So it seems like Kotaku got information that we will finally know more about the Stadia console around the time of E3. Google was very vague about when the release date will be for the platform but did tease summer for the developer announcements.

So i guess it makes sense they would launch the service around the time they actually show off games for it. But I don't know, still seems a bit early, they basically just started. If they do launch in June I suspect they got a cash grab exclusive that will by them some time. Something big.

Last edited:
Wait, 3 launch titles? The crowd goes wild.
Fuck you google you fucking fucks.
I don't really get the negativity towards stadia. It might not be the massive hardcore gaming platform but I'm highly interested in playing my timewasters anytime anywhere. Business trips would be so much better with permanent access zu Anno games and Civ.

I don't see it as a competing platform but more as an alternative for when I'm not with my home machine.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It would be amazing if stadia made an option for people to download the whole game and allow them to play it offline.
That would even further get rid of the lag!
Maybe even release some hardware that is powerfull enough to make this possible.
Like a small portable ish device. You can even upgrade yourself in the future by replacing components.And perhaps installing other OS
Even use it as a work station or art station

Think of the possibilities !
They could call it the personal google computer.

Last edited:

baphomet

I don't really get the negativity towards stadia. It might not be the massive hardcore gaming platform but I'm highly interested in playing my timewasters anytime anywhere. Business trips would be so much better with permanent access zu Anno games and Civ.

I don't see it as a competing platform but more as an alternative for when I'm not with my home machine.

Given the choice of buying Doom on steam for $60 or paying $50 to Google for unlimited Doom streaming, you can bet most people will be paying the $60.

Ryu Kaiba

It would be amazing if stadia made an option for people to download the whole game and allow them to play it offline.
Maybe even release some hardware that is powerfull enough to make this possible.
Like a small portable ish device. You can even upgrade yourself in the future by replacing components.And perhaps installing other OS

Nonsense, how in the world is that supposed to work. Upgradable components aren't even sensible for consoles or smartphones, and where would they get the alien technology for 10.6 TF in a portable device? What benefits would they get from the user being able to install another OS? Who is going to pay the $1000's of dollars that this devce would cost? Why don't you think?

12Dannu123

That's impossible.

llien

I also don't get why people are so negative about it.
It doesn't take anyone's dinner, it creates more options AND it is actually great that it comes with lag, else it would have potential to wipe out PC gaming.

It doesn't take anyone's dinner, it creates more options AND it is actually great that it comes with lag, else it would have potential to wipe out PC gaming.
If this takes off and all other gaming companies find it successful, people are afraid physical hardware will disappear. This would essentially suck.

Given the choice of buying Doom on steam for $60 or paying $50 to Google for unlimited Doom streaming, you can bet most people will be paying the $60.
So would I, but given the option for games that I might want to play while traveling I might opt to go to Google for my game. People treat this like there is no using of multiple platforms at the same time.

CyberPanda

Banned
Not really apples to apples there. I could care less if my music needs to buffer.
Well, there will be some form of hardware for now. And, they can coexist, but eventually it will go full streaming in the future. I think another factor for these companies switching to streaming is because small boxes can’t get any bigger and people are wanting more and more power. With stackable cloud servers that eliminates that problem, but I think it’s also because they want to eliminate piracy altogether and make as much money as possible.

Pallas

I’m curious how this works out because if it’s successful along with xCloud it could have huge implications for the future of the gaming industry.

Also that controller reminds me of the Xbox One controller.

Well, there will be some form of hardware for now. And, they can coexist, but eventually it will go full streaming in the future. I think another factor for these companies switching to streaming is because small boxes can’t get any bigger and people are wanting more and more power. With stackable cloud servers that eliminates that problem, but I think it’s also because they want to eliminate piracy altogether and make as much money as possible.
That all makes sense but the issue of latency still remains for a very long time.

Justin9mm

That's not the purpose of Stadia.. It's more for the casual gamers who don't want options, just start up and play, no hassles, no frills. The hardcore gamer will stick to their PC / Flagship consoles. This is not an all in one total gaming device/service.

That's not the purpose of Stadia.. It's more for the casual gamers who don't want options, just start up and play, no hassles, no frills. The hardcore gamer will stick to their PC / Flagship consoles. This is not an all in one total gaming device/service.
Are all of you guys 100% resistent to sarcasm?

Shifty

Stadia Release Date Update: Still No Release Date

Please keep clicking on my threads tho

Please tho

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Google has been fined 9 billion by the EU over the past 2 years for anti-competitive practices, they will be a cancer to gaming and have VERY little to offer and a lot to take away...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

THIS is the bull crap that lots of gamers hate!!!! The bolded!! Why eventually? What do "I" the gamers get out of never having an option to use physical media?

mckmas8808

It’s just the way the cookie crumbles, sweetie.

No it's not. I can still buy a music CD of my favorite artist if I want. And I can more easily buy and download an album to my phone. We aren't even being forced to stream music, so why will we be forced to only stream video games?

CyberPanda

Banned
No it's not. I can still buy a music CD of my favorite artist if I want. And I can more easily buy and download an album to my phone. We aren't even being forced to stream music, so why will we be forced to only stream video games?
CD sales are going down every year, and gaming will get there eventually too. And eww why would you buy CD’s now? There are so many good services available for music.

mckmas8808

CD sales are going down every year, and gaming will get there eventually too. And eww why would you buy CD’s now? There are so many good services available for music.

Because it's an option. "I" personally don't buy CDs anymore, but millions still do. Why would corporations not want their money?

CyberPanda

Banned
Because it's an option. "I" personally don't buy CDs anymore, but millions still do. Why would corporations not want their money?
Oh, I see. Well, streaming would be more viable if they allow users to save it offline play. I guess time will tell how things play out.

DanielsM

Banned
Its not about digital vs physical imo, its about DRM. Once mp3 started to go drm free than sales started picking up. If I can move my content where I want, within reason, than I don't care if its physical vs. digital. For the record, I've been completely digital with music since late 90s.... of course, they were DRM free mp3s (or converted from disc) and I run streaming from my own server. The issue with stadia is really bad as you have to possibly pay to play your own purchased content, from which you can't leave. If its a pure streaming model, no ownership you pay $5 and rent a game for a week, less of an issue - that doesn't appear to be what they have in mind.

I have yet to figure out what the incentive is on the part of the gamer.

We have to wait and see but some of the comments by Ubisoft make it appear to be a pay (purchase) content mode. This wouldn't be for casuals at all, imo.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I have yet to figure out what the incentive is on the part of the gamer.

We have to wait and see but some of the comments by Ubisoft make it appear to be a pay (purchase) content mode. This wouldn't be for casuals at all, imo.

The bolded 100 times over. Not one company has made the argument why a gamer should "ONLY" want streaming for their video game playing sessions. What's the incentive? For what? For who?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I for one cannot wait to see YouTube filled with positive Google Stadia reviews, exciting Google Stadia news, and amazing looks at what's coming next for the biggest name in gaming: Google Stadia.

The bullshit will be spectacularly forced in a way we've yet to see.
Google has yet to do this with any of their other products so why would they start now?

Bryank75

Banned
Oh, I see. Well, streaming would be more viable if they allow users to save it offline play. I guess time will tell how things play out.
Not really, there will always be lag and there are millions that dont live with high speed broadband. Core gamers want consoles and the option of buying physical for collectors editions and big midnight launches. It's a part of gaming culture.
Where core gamers play, casual gamers have followed every generation, they follow their friends and right now the only ones I see excited for Stadia are investors. Investors don't have a bulls notion about gaming.

mckmas8808

Not really, there will always be lag and there are millions that dont live with high speed broadband. Core gamers want consoles and the option of buying physical for collectors editions and big midnight launches. It's a part of gaming culture.
Where core gamers play, casual gamers have followed every generation, they follow their friends and right now the only ones I see excited for Stadia are investors. Investors don't have a bulls notion about gaming.

And imagine if it does actually launch with only 3 games.

magnumpy

physical hardware will IMO ultimately disappear. the only question is when that will happen. but good riddance as far as I'm concerned. in 10 years I don't want to be worrying about hardware platforms, I just do not care.

Bryank75

Banned
physical hardware will IMO ultimately disappear. the only question is when that will happen. but good riddance as far as I'm concerned. in 10 years I don't want to be worrying about hardware platforms, I just do not care.
You'll still be using a TV or a PC or Laptop or Pad.... you make no sense. A dedicated hardware platform will always trump streaming. I assume you don't game that much if you really believe consoles are not going to continue.

On the contrary, if gaming goes all streaming... I and many others will stop gaming altogether.
Streaming sucks, it's for casuals who just have a passing interest in gaming and do not understand the difference between an Assassins Creed game and Horizon or Zelda...

They are the people who buy one or two games a year, play 15 minutes and then get sick of it.
When the internet inevitably goes down or the licenses are up or AOC comes to power and causes the collapse of civilized society... people with consoles will still be gaming, they will still own their games and be free to play them and keep their save files and get the achievements and trophies, while stadia people will have nothing.

DanielsM

Banned

Physical hardware can't disappear as that is ultimately what does the processing, all this is... is you are changing the location of the physical hardware. Sure, you can spin up additional VMs depending on the environment but you still need physical hardware. The costs don't disappear generally speaking, you'll be paying full price and more for a rental. Furthermore, if you decide to stop paying the monthly/annual fee you will probably be locked out of your purchased content, at least based on what has been hinted at with Stadia. (we'll see on the last point but they're hiding the business model for a reason)

In 10 years you'll be worried about how you're going to get your games off a closed virtual environment is my bet. Technically you're increasing (or could be) the amount of hardware needed, because you don't eliminate anything and potentially depending on the setup you'll have to have a thin-client or similar type device.

Virtual desktops have been available for the public for a very long time - consumers usually don't subscribe to these services as it doesn't really make sense, generally speaking, i.e. it costs more over the medium/long-term - you don't eliminate hardware. Google might make the cost very cheap or even free at first to get you sucked in, but no, eventually they will have to increase the fee for you to access your content and if you don't like the terms you have no way of moving based on what we know at this point with Stadia.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

It's weird that even one person liked your post lol. You had to of typed your post on some form of hardware. So the question is why are you okay with that device, but not a console or PC?

magnumpy

Physical hardware can't disappear as that is ultimately what does the processing, all this is... is you are changing the location of the physical hardware. Sure, you can spin up additional VMs depending on the environment but you still need physical hardware. The costs don't disappear generally speaking, you'll be paying full price and more for a rental. Furthermore, if you decide to stop paying the monthly/annual fee you will probably be locked out of your purchased content, at least based on what has been hinted at with Stadia. (we'll see on the last point but they're hiding the business model for a reason)

In 10 years you'll be worried about how you're going to get your games off a closed virtual environment is my bet. Technically you're increasing (or could be) the amount of hardware needed, because you don't eliminate anything and potentially depending on the setup you'll have to have a thin-client or similar type device.

Virtual desktops have been available for the public for a very long time - consumers usually don't subscribe to these services as it doesn't really make sense, generally speaking, i.e. it costs more over the medium/long-term - you don't eliminate hardware. Google might make the cost very cheap or even free at first to get you sucked in, but no, eventually they will have to increase the fee for you to access your content and if you don't like the terms you have no way of moving based on what we know at this point with Stadia.

google can handle the promotion of stadia. that's not my job nor do I care whether it succeeds or fails. it matters less than nothing to me.

that's the way I feel about playstation or xbox or nintendo or pc. I literally do not care at all. platforms are great for the platform owners because they make all the money. why should I care if some company succeeds or fails? so they can make more money? that's really great for them, I'm sure they enjoy their billions of dollars a great deal. don't operate under the illusion that any of these companies are your "buddies" or are the "good guys" while some other companies are the "bad guys." corporations exist to make money for themselves, they have no other purpose at all.

yes that goes for stadia or google too. I watch with interest due to googles massive size and strength. but we have to wait and see how it all works out. I would remark that google is a much larger and more successful company than sony or nintendo. google could buy both of those companies quite easily if they wanted to; they appear to have different plans.

It's weird that even one person liked your post lol. You had to of typed your post on some form of hardware. So the question is why are you okay with that device, but not a console or PC?

why should I care about a console or a pc? they are not my friends or enemies. I literally do not care at all.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

why should I care about a console or a pc? they are not my friends or enemies. I literally do not care at all.

You don't have to, but most of the gaming consumer base does. Just so you know, you are the super minority here. Physical hardware is not going away anytime soon.

hunthunt

Banned
This thing has wtitter failure all over it,

Google is used to abandon their failed products and services pretty fast, i wonder how much they will support this if goes bad.

DanielsM

Banned
google can handle the promotion of stadia. that's not my job nor do I care whether it succeeds or fails. it matters less than nothing to me.

that's the way I feel about playstation or xbox or nintendo or pc. I literally do not care at all. platforms are great for the platform owners because they make all the money. why should I care if some company succeeds or fails? so they can make more money? that's really great for them, I'm sure they enjoy their billions of dollars a great deal. don't operate under the illusion that any of these companies are your "buddies" or are the "good guys" while some other companies are the "bad guys." corporations exist to make money for themselves, they have no other purpose at all.

yes that goes for stadia or google too. I watch with interest due to googles massive size and strength. but we have to wait and see how it all works out. I would remark that google is a much larger and more successful company than sony or nintendo. google could buy both of those companies quite easily if they wanted to; they appear to have different plans.

You literally responded to me but you never actually responded to what was written.

What does "google can handle the promotion of stadia" have to do with your comments and my response?
What does "playforms are great for platform owners" have to do with your comments and my response?
What does "good guys" have to with your comments and my response?
What does "google could buy" have to with your comments and my response?

Your comment was "hardware is going to disappear", clearly it isn't unless one believes in magic... I'm not sure what Google's market cap or promoting Stadia has to do with your comment/my response, they basically bail in part on Youtube Premium a few weeks ago and just bailed on Google +. A companies market cap has no real bearing on your comments or my response.

You are free to have an opinion on whether Stadia will be successful, I don't know... they haven't even announced anything yet... not really i.e. no business model. However, to claim hardware is going to disappear is just not true on any level.

Last edited:

magnumpy

You don't have to, but most of the gaming consumer base does. Just so you know, you are the super minority here. Physical hardware is not going away anytime soon.

most of the users on neogaf.com (what you call erroneously the gaming consumer base) feels very differently I'm sure. but the world is much bigger than neogaf.com, shocking but true. there are 7.7 billion people in the world, most of them have no idea that this website even exists. this website did not spring into existence spontaneously when the first video game was created, and videogames will outlive neogaf.com. neogaf.com is at best a small (tiny) footnote in the history of videogames.

Top Bottom