• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Google Stadia release date UPDATE: Is this when Google will reveal more Stadia news?" (June?)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
most of the users on neogaf.com (what you call erroneously the gaming consumer base) feels very differently I'm sure. but the world is much bigger than neogaf.com, shocking but true. there are 7.7 billion people in the world, most of them have no idea that this website even exists. this website did not spring into existence spontaneously when the first video game was created, and videogames will outlive neogaf.com. neogaf.com is at best a small (tiny) footnote in the history of videogames.

Yeah but most of us tend to do things in the gaming culture before the casual gamers do. If we aren't going to throw away out consoles and PCs, why would the greater gaming casuals?

DanielsM

Banned
Yeah but most of us tend to do things in the gaming culture before the casual gamers do. If we aren't going to throw away out consoles and PCs, why would the greater gaming casuals?

(a better question might be) Why aren't the casual gamers already doing it? PS Now is going on 5 years old, that's about the best setup the very casuals are going to find yet they don't appear to be really signing up.

Last edited:

magnumpy

You literally responded to me but you never actually responded to what was written.

What does "google can handle the promotion of stadia" have to do with your comments and my response?
What does "playforms are great for platform owners" have to do with your comments and my response?
What does "good guys" have to with your comments and my response?
What does "google could buy" have to with your comments and my response?

Your comment was "hardware is going to disappear", clearly it isn't unless one believes in magic... I'm not sure what Google's market cap or promoting Stadia has to do with your comment/my response, they basically bail in part on Youtube Premium a few weeks ago and just bailed on Google +. A companies market cap has no real bearing on your comments or my response.

You are free to have an opinion on whether Stadia will be successful, I don't know... they haven't even announced anything yet... not really i.e. no business model. However, to claim hardware is going to disappear is just not true on any level.

I am not evangelizing for stadia, I don't care whether it succeeds or fails.

why should I care? I am not a stakeholder in any of these companies. are you?

"hardware is going to disappear" is a long term prediction

DanielsM

Banned
"hardware is going to disappear" is a long term prediction

Please explain how hardware is going to disappear in the long term to us stupid people. (I suggest you read my original comment to you slowly) Are computer processes going to processed by real clouds i.e. a visible mass of condensed water vapor floating in the atmosphere, typically high above the ground? I would love to hear your solution that requires no hardware for games to be processed.

Whether or not you have an opinion on Stadia is not what my comment was about, not sure why you are now talking about "succeeding and failing" (paraphrased), your comment was that hardware was going to disappear. (you can choose to move your hardware, but to play video games you still need to have hardware to play them)

Last edited:

magnumpy

the world is a much bigger place than the visitors of neogaf.com

this is as far as I can tell mostly a website for americans. americans make up about 5 percent (that is 5 percent out of 100 percent) of the global population. that is a tiny minority. that is like a flea on the back of an elephant. it is of little consequence.

magnumpy

Please explain how hardware is going to disappear in the long term to us stupid people. (I suggest you read my original comment to you slowly) Are computer processes going to processed by real clouds i.e. a visible mass of condensed water vapor floating in the atmosphere, typically high above the ground? I would love to hear your solution that requires no hardware for games to be processed.

Whether or not you have an opinion on Stadia is not what my comment was about, not sure why you are now talking about "succeeding and failing" (paraphrased), your comment was that hardware was going to disappear. (you can choose to move your hardware, but to play video games you still need to have hardware to play them)

it will disappear as far as the consumers are concerned. it will still exist, but it's not something that most people will concern themselves with. the model of going to a store to spend hundreds of dollars on a games machine will be like The Flintstones. excessively antiquated and well past its prime.

DanielsM

Banned
it will disappear as far as the consumers are concerned. it will still exist, but it's not something that most people will concern themselves with. the model of going to a store to spend hundreds of dollars on a games machine will be like The Flintstones. excessively antiquated and well past its prime.

No, it doesn't disappear and no the cost does not disappear... most likely you will actually be paying more and paying for more hardware. Game streaming has been available to the masses for coming up on a decade, virtual desktops longer than that... yet nobody cares (meaning non-business). You are not eliminating hardware, in most situations you're actually increasing the amount of hardware, and the cost will be higher - not lower.

You're still spending money on the hardware (subscription monthly fee), you are still shopping at a store for the hardware its a 10tf machine. LOL If I buy a PS4, but I keep it at a friends house, what is the difference?

Tell you what... we'll get you on my plan.... you sign up with me for $15 a month, we'll get you a PS4 and you can play it from your house (located at my datacenter)... keep it at my house, at the end of four years... if you don't want to renew... cool, I'll keep the hardware. If consumers would rather it that way... why haven't they signed up for the various services over the last decade? (either way, you're not eliminating hardware, in most cases.. probably increasing hardware cost, internet cost and electricity usage)

Your opinion as far as success/failure is your opinion, I disagree but its an opinion... as far as eliminating hardware, costs, electricity, etc.... that's a no.

Last edited:

magnumpy

No, it doesn't disappear and no the cost does not disappear... most likely you will actually be paying more and paying for more hardware. Game streaming has been available to the masses for coming up on a decade, virtual desktops longer than that... yet nobody cares (meaning non-business). You are not eliminating hardware, in most situations you're actually increasing the amount of hardware, and the cost will be higher - not lower.

You're still spending money on the hardware (subscription monthly fee), you are still shopping at a store for the hardware its a 10tf machine. LOL If I buy a PS4, but I keep it at a friends house, what is the difference?

Tell you what... we'll get you on my plan.... you sign up with me for $15 a month, we'll get you a PS4 and you can play it from your house (located at my datacenter)... keep it at my house, at the end of four years... if you don't want to renew... cool, I'll keep the hardware.

thanks, and I haven't signed up for anything yet, but I trust google infinitely more than your "datacenter" :)

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
No, it doesn't disappear and no the cost does not disappear... most likely you will actually be paying more and paying for more hardware. Game streaming has been available to the masses for coming up on a decade, virtual desktops longer than that... yet nobody cares. You are not eliminating hardware, in most situations you're actually increasing the amount of hardware, and the cost will be higher - not lower.

Tell you what... we'll get you on my plan.... you sign up with me for $15 a month, we'll get you a PS4 and you can play it from your house (located at my datacenter)... keep it at my house, at the end of four years... if you don't want to renew... cool, I'll keep the hardware.

Actually it's the opposite. It's much more economical to put hardware in the cloud because it is used on demand and compute required any given game is scaleable. How many consoles are actually being used at any given time? Probably 25% of the install base. Do you need a 15TF machine to run an indie game? No...but if that's what you have locally that's what is used.

Furthermore hardware in a data center can be "ugly" and doesn't need to have to adhere to same form factor and thermal/power limits of a consumer device.

mckmas8808

But why? What consumers are asking for this?

FStubbs

But why? What consumers are asking for this?

Consumers of google stock maybe. Game streaming is a concept that has little actual real consumer benefit - a solution in search of a problem.

Also, this guy is obviously a viral marketer. Can someone stop him from posting already?

DanielsM

Banned
Actually it's the opposite. It's much more economical to put hardware in the cloud because it is used on demand and compute required any given game is scaleable. How many consoles are actually being used at any given time? Probably 25% of the install base. Do you need a 15TF machine to run an indie game? No...but if that's what you have locally that's what is used.

Furthermore hardware in a data center can be "ugly" and doesn't need to have to adhere to same form factor and thermal/power limits of a consumer device.

Yes and no. Yes you can scale which is subtracted from the price but than you have to increase the price for replacement usage, real estate space, personnel, monitoring, cooling, management, decommissioning, taxes, and PROFIT margin.

In a virtual desktop environment some companies could potentially save some in money, but that from reducing headcount - nobody at home has someone sitting there doing maintenance on their PS4 or monitoring their PS4 - there is no reason to, you just hook it up and hit the circle button on the controller. How many people run Windows/Linux virtual desktops for consumer activities - almost none or not even measurable if I were to guess, why? It costs more, its less convenient and it really doesn't sense, generally speaking.

Generally, if you go to the cloud you are going to spend more.... depending on how companies are setup though there can be some savings and easier to manage - consumers do not gain this benefit.

You can rent a 8tf machine from Shadow Tech for $29.95 a month for a 12 month commitment or $34.95 by the month. (that's probably a deal at some point they're going to have to raise prices, originally they were saying $50 a month - just trying to get customers at this point)

Nvidia was talking about $25 per 20 hours of usage, than they went silent in 2017. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Back in beta Geforce went. ;) The chances of someone actually saving a ton of money if they game frequently in this type of environment is slim and probably none.

In my experience.... VDs for instance actually cost more as far as hardware to service.... what you save is potential headcount, maybe, if you are lucky.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/02/why_bother_with_virtual_desktops/

Last edited:
Even if it's a terrible idea, I wonder if latency will be any better than some of the other services. Google's known for having one of the better Internet backbones (only to be challenged by Cloudflare's network), so that might affect ping better.

iHaunter

Can't play games without internet. Unless app lets you download custom formatted files like Netflix as well that can be launched with a cached account. Curious, seems like just a VM using their own cloud.

mckmas8808

Generally, if you go to the cloud you are going to spend more.... depending on how companies are setup though there can be some savings and easier to manage - consumers do not gain this benefit.

You can rent a 8tf machine from Shadow Tech for $29.95 a month for a 12 month commitment or $34.95 by the month. (that's probably a deal at some point they're going to have to raise prices, originally they were saying $50 a month - just trying to get customers at this point)

Nvidia was talking about $25 per 20 hours of usage, than they went silent in 2017. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Back in beta Geforce went. ;) The chances of someone actually saving a ton of money if they game frequently in this type of environment is slim and probably none.

In my experience.... VDs for instance actually cost more as far as hardware to service.... what you save is potential headcount, maybe, if you are lucky.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/02/why_bother_with_virtual_desktops/

I had no idea to ask or wonder what the current cost was that the competitors currently have. So far we have 2 companies ranging from $25 to $35 a month, yet people want me to believe that you'll get a 10.7 TF virtual machine for free? And that you'll only have to pay for the game license directly. There's no way Google will be willing to eat that much money.

They are going to have to charge at least $10 a month, per user.

Pallas

Curious about the price and games. I imagine major third party publishers would love to release their games on it.

Curious about the price and games. I imagine major third party publishers would love to release their games on it.

Its simple.

Google Stadia : 15-20$/month
AAA Games on stadia : 69.99$ each.

:)

31ugxw.jpg

Last edited:

I think "What about the latency issues that occurred in your own conference, with your own equipment?" is another question they should have an answer for before summer. Of course the answer is "Light has a finite speed, but also look! Last year's Assassin's Creed game and something that looks like it was made by 1st year college students!

DanielsM

Banned
Why is this announcement taking so long?
Phil Harrison fucks things up on his own schedule.

Seriously, I would like to see the business model(s) being used as well, poor Nvidia is still giving away their service for nada after 5 years (they're scratching their heads).

Aintitcool

Banned
I wonder if Stadia will ever try have an AD supported model. Where they pause the game you are playing and put like youtube ads, but therefore you can play for free. Would be cool I think.

mckmas8808

I wonder if Stadia will ever try have an AD supported model. Where they pause the game you are playing and put like youtube ads, but therefore you can play for free. Would be cool I think.

This would ONLY good okay if they did it at specific points in games. Like after matches online where there's natural down time. Or during halftime while you're playing Madden 19.

Putting ads in game and cool/ok in the same sentence, kills my gamer soul.

The funk are you two smoking?

You think these ads are going to be ads for games, trailers for movies or even Doritos ads? lmao hell naw, it will be political bullshit and propaganda.

Take NFL for example. Your team has just won, the next match loads and :

"well done team, now help team democrat defeat the evil trump by voting for democrats, the only team that counts!"

Last edited:

juliotendo

I’m pretty sure once we have more information on the next generation XBOX and PlayStation and both companies get the hype train rolling slowly this year — all this Stadia nonsense will be drowned out.

I really don’t see Google succeeding in this. Game streaming services have yet to take off in a big way, and to be honest it is original games that make a platform worth buying into. What does Google have? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Putting ads in game and cool/ok in the same sentence, kills my gamer soul.

The funk are you two smoking?

You think these ads are going to be ads for games, trailers for movies or even Doritos ads? lmao hell naw, it will be political bullshit and propaganda.

Take NFL for example. Your team has just won, the next match loads and :

"well done team, now help team democrat defeat the evil trump by voting for democrats, the only team that counts!"

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Now I didn't say "I'D" jump on the Stadia bandwagon if they did this. I'm against anything Stadia related, but if they made streaming games on Stadia "FREE", but in their place they made you watch a 60 second AD every 15-20 minutes it'll be an interesting idea.

somerset

Sorry guys- if it is from Google it must be assumed to be for reasons of pure evil. Google is long passed the phase where it even pretends to be good. Google now blatantly does evil in the explicit cause of the alt-left.

Why Stadia? Well server side control of games means perfect orwellian censorship- an aspect of a game can hit the memory hole as if it never existed.

Client side and the user has control of their experience. Read 1984 to understand why Google won't be having any of that 'nonsense'.

DeadFred

Neo Member
Honestly, i think market is not ready for Stadia guys and also i think that console brands (specially Nintendo) will never allow their exclusive titles to go away

UPDATE:

Stadia price: Only $9.99 a month!

Free low tier games/android games supposedly

No changes to your gaming purchase habits, same price, same smooth transactions.

Jump into games, and trials through links on Youtube and other media and buy the game later!

Cheapest
streaming program of them all.

480 servers and sub serves dropping latency from 2000ms to 800ms which only 50% off from a Crt TV which is more accurate than most flatscreens (not all)

Top games like: Assassins Creed, Doom, Wrpgs, Anime, Tom Clancy, Grand Theft Auto, exclusive dlc, and other content.

Stadia is the best place to play because it's not just a closed community like Xbox and PlayStation, but part of the community is also on the net through Youtube and other websites and can play together through link sharing and instant transfer into a game in LESS than 5 seconds.

Vawn

Banned
VoostKain - making Stadia look even more lame than it already is through his cringeworthy promotions.

Top Bottom