• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia will standardize 1080p/4k/8k, 60fps without hardware! Xbox4 and PS5 in trouble?

JLB

Banned
New #298
You think ppl are only triggered by that? We don't care who or what company you are or how deep are your pockets, Microsoft is a gd example of that and under delivering on many promises. Did you not see the numerous Twitter post of the system in action, in a controlled environment and I bet with a data center nearby? Did you not see the noticeable lag and other games with crazy compression?

None of these companies deserve blind faith. The only blind faith I give is in companies like From soft, playground, Naughty Dog etc who I know based on experience I'll love their games, that's about it.

No one, in any order of life, deserves blidh faith. That was not my point anyways.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm impressed that this is being packaged as something new and exciting. OnLive was 10yrs ago! Hahaha. There are so many streaming services already. From what I've seen Nvidia GeForce Now is better than this.

Steam is still the best way for streaming. Buy the games and Stream them via Steam in-home streaming, Steam Link, GeForce Now, D2D streaming, etc. You have a digital copy with the 2nd most reliable digital distributor(behind GoG) and you can stream using these services.

This all leads me to believe that services like this are aimed more at the PSNow/Netflix business model, where you get access to a collection. I would hope nobody would ever actually buy a game from a service like this.

Gamernyc78

Banned
No one, in any order of life, deserves blidh faith. That was not my point anyways.

I like how you excluded the other points I made in reference to your post, specifically ppl being critical of it due to all the hands on tweets and posts showing alot of lag and compression.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I'm impressed that this is being packaged as something new and exciting. OnLive was 10yrs ago! Hahaha. There are so many streaming services already. From what I've seen Nvidia GeForce Now is better than this.

Steam is still the best way for streaming. Buy the games and Stream them via Steam in-home streaming, Steam Link, GeForce Now, D2D streaming, etc. You have a digital copy with the 2nd most reliable digital distributor(behind GoG) and you can stream using these services.

This all leads me to believe that services like this are aimed more at the PSNow/Netflix business model, where you get access to a collection. I would hope nobody would ever actually buy a game from a service like this.

I wouldn't push it past these companies at this point, you buy on Steam $50, you buy on PS $60, you buy on Google Store $30.

Of course, they won't mention there will be no place to move your game if you don't pay Google their fees or they decide to shutdown, or jack up fees for access.

Last edited:

Mochilador

According to this guy:
-Google misrepresented and even lied on one or two things =
Misrepresentation: Project Stream's performance figures.
Lie: Being the first to get "high quality games" to work through a browser.
-The pad working over WiFi without direct connection to a device seriously raises lag & input drops.
-Google's push for middleware partners suggests it'll not work with most existing solutions and this will impact the number of titles (I don't understand this one myself)
-Suggests machine learning is BS or at least doesn't work like Google says it will (he doesn't go into detail).
-Says Google is aiming for a closed system made to take away your control and ownership of games.
-Google's claim of no cheaters is BS and they'll have to implement HDCP to fix it which would harm recordings being obviously bad for the Twitch scene they're aiming at.
-4K 60FPS needs nothing below gigabit internet and even then it still would need compression to not overload your average router.

Keep in mind this guy is the CEO for an opposing Streaming company.
Thanks for the summary.

Glacia

Neo Member
According to this guy:
-Google's push for middleware partners suggests it'll not work with most existing solutions and this will impact the number of titles (I don't understand this one myself)
Google expects gamedevs to port their games to linux/vulkan (That's why they showed new Doom, it's already uses vulkan so port for Id would be pretty straightforward). Effort wise it's a bit easier than porting a console game to PC. So you cant just take your pc game and make it run on google servers, you need to port it.

joe_zazen

Playing locally rendered game with multiplayer is not the same as server-rendered. The latency issues that will bring to any battle royale game is a deal breaker unless everyone has a fiber-optic connection. Good luck with that before 2040.

2040 will be here before you know it. Stadia is their play for the future if gaming, and yes it will take years, but this is the begining of the end of consoles and console hardware manufacturers. All the big games will be where the most people are, and the number of people with good enough connections to stream is huge and growing.

Right now, it is Microsoft and their proprietary dev software system vs Google and their open stack. Idk who is going to win, but it wont be Sony or Nintendo.

joe_zazen

My prediction for who "wins"

1. Microsoft - vastly more experience than Google. Will have traditional boxes, PC gaming, and streaming. They will cover a larger audience from casual players up to enthusiast PC gamers.

2. Google - new player/streaming only. I think streaming is the future. Google has the potential to destroy the others but we'll see how it actually plays out. Majority of people would use it I think but streaming is no good for eSports, streamers, or pc enthusiasts.

3. Nintendo - kinda niche and doing their own thing to set them apart from the others. Could see them partnering with MS or Google to allow streaming on Switch. Good chance of surviving.

4. Sony - think they've been caught with their trousers down. Unless they have something up their sleeve with PS5 then I think it's likely they'll end up worse off. Sure they have lots of good exclusive games but I'm not sure if that'll be enough to survive.

Nintendo has the most valuable ip in gaming, so they will be making games; but what will keep them in the hardware business?

Dipsed

Google Stadia will allow you to play pretty much any game at a consistent 1080p/4k 60fps depending on what resolution your device supports in a few seconds and no downloading. You can carry it from your desktop, to your laptop, to your casting device, to your tablet, or to your phone. Local co-op and MP with no sacrifices. They are combining the Youtube and movie license divisions with Stadia and already at launch will have a vastly superior online platform than all 3 of the current console makers combined, however at least Microsoft is dabbling on a few similar features.

Nintendo or Sony however, can't really compete. With third-party games being the biggest sellers and games like Apex and Fortnite on the rise, the full access on all your devices and the on-demand infrastructure for games, not needing high-end hardware might I add, really does make buying a console seem foolish which is why people laughing at Microsofts Xcloud are no in for a rude awakening.

It's releasing this year and already has done so much more than anyone was expecting within the next 5 years. Googles going on in and they have shown they were not just playing around.

If Nintendo doubles down on a niche they may survive, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough considering R&D costs, software sales will be going to Google.

Sony really doesn't have a way out since all of Stadia is compatible with most VR headsets and it can also work with weaker devices, I'm not entirely sure of PSVR can actually do anything about that, Sony needs to focus many first-party studios to the cloud to survive.

Pricing is already rumored to be very cheap and it's looking pretty bad, the industry just got shook up in a way people were not expecting within the next 5 years, and it's coming out in 2019. This is what you call a mover and shaker right here.
Those kind of posts make me think that Google is shilling their product online. It's just streaming for fuck sake.
I will like to know his/her job title at google.

Top Bottom