• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia will standardize 1080p/4k/8k, 60fps without hardware! Xbox4 and PS5 in trouble?

CyberPanda

Banned
20190319_224209.jpg

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Hahahahaha. If that’s what you must do, then so be it. :messenger_pensive: But before you do, I love you.

Dthomp

Console wars are silly and can provide some entertainment. SJW shit is damaging and only provides misery.

"Sega does what Nintendon't".

Don't get me wrong, it's hilarious when they go at eachother. When us the consumer think we need to put on our (Insert Console Bias) shirt and go bashing all the others is the part I find dumb. I don't hide that I'm a big Sony supporter, always have been. I own all the major systems and always will (until it's streaming cause I aint paying for something I don't own), but going out of your way to make a bunch of posts about other consoles being doomed because your mad your fav isn't getting attention is dumb.

rəddəM

Some people here act like there's only first world countries and that everyone has unlimited gigabit internet infrastructure.
And now M$ and Soony are doomed? Give me a break.
I'm very open-minded about Stadia, I think it's a good effort but I don't see it becoming much more than just another subscription plan.

J4K

60fps is cute

You've gotta keep the audience in mind. This is for console gamers and casual gamers. People who don't want to drop thousands of dollars on hardware and monitors with high-refresh support. For that audience, 60FPS is actually an improvement. So is true 4K.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Some people here act like there's only first world countries and that everyone has unlimited gigabit internet infrastructure.
And now M$ and Soony are doomed? Give me a break.
I'm very open-minded about Stadia, I think it's a good effort but I don't see it becoming much more than just another subscription plan.

Crazy thing is the writing is on the wall. Almost every demo from the Google demos show very noticeable lag that accompanies streaming. I mean there's about five Twitter examples in this thread. This will be a supplementary console for most or an alternative if cheap enough for ppl tht cant afford a 500 box. No regular gamer will choose this over a dedicated local console tht also has streaming features. OnLive already came and went years ago 😁

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

I’m confused on this whole thing. They say it’s notp hardware, but then brag it’s more powerful than PS4 and XB1 combined? But it’s not hardware, sooooo....
The power of the cloud........
You member?

That stream was a first hand example of marketing buzzwords.
The lack of information about it's product was a red flag. Surprised they didn't slap a HDREADY sticker on it.

Don't get me wrong, If this blows everything out of the water then I'll eat my words.
But that thing stank of "plz invest in us and we will TRY to deliver".

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
See that @ Spukc Spukc ? He wants to drink your bath water, true love right there!

hqdefault.jpg

Of course the chlorine and other chemicals will kill you slowly when you drink it, as well as the soap but that's not important right?
you made me a little more sick just now thanks afro :(

Grinchy

Banned
This is going to be a service for cell phone gamers. The kinds of people who have never even heard of input lag before. They were playing Plants vs Zombies and now all of a sudden they can play the newest Doom on their phone and it will seem exciting.

I think it'll at least be successful for that type of crowd. Maybe. It's hard to say since cell phone gamers want free games that give them the option of spending $200 on gems and tokens for.

Last edited:
This is going to be a service for cell phone gamers. The kinds of people who have never even heard of input lag before.

What?!?!?!!?

Input lag on phones is a constant forum topic on mobile sites. Crap, people complain DUel Links on some devices takes to long to understand you put a card on the board with its 2 second delay.

Ten_Fold

I would never play a fighting game that requires very little input delay which isn’t really possible on streaming, maybe single player games. Also Nintendo will be fine l, Sony will do the same thing, Microsoft is already going in the direction somewhat but using hardware as a base.

Grinchy

Banned
What?!?!?!!?

Input lag on phones is a constant forum topic on mobile sites. Crap, people complain DUel Links on some devices takes to long to understand you put a card on the board with its 2 second delay.
Do you think the huge casual crowd who games on a phone goes on dedicated mobile gaming forums? Or do you think that the people on a forum like that might represent a smaller piece of that pie?

The people playing Bejeweled and Plants vs Zombies don't know what input lag is.

vpance

This is going to be a service for cell phone gamers. The kinds of people who have never even heard of input lag before. They were playing Plants vs Zombies and now all of a sudden they can play the newest Doom on their phone and it will seem exciting.

I think it'll at least be successful for that type of crowd. Maybe. It's hard to say since cell phone gamers want free games that give them the option of spending $200 on gems and tokens for.

Seems like a really niche crowd then. Are cell phone gamers really that hungry for AAA experiences on the go?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I’ll wait and see. I didn’t believe Netflix could scale up and deliver like they ended up doing, so I’m not writing google off out of the gate.

Grinchy

Banned
Seems like a really niche crowd then. Are cell phone gamers really that hungry for AAA experiences on the go?
I think it'll look impressive to people like that and the mobile crowd is huge. Plus, when we get 5G penetration, people can actually use this service on the go. Some people will put up with input lag for a chance to play brand new modern games at their highest settings while on a road trip or sitting on the bus or whatever.

If I didn't hate the input lag and video compression so much, I'd actually think this service could be awesome.

Do you think the huge casual crowd who games on a phone goes on dedicated mobile gaming forums? Or do you think that the people on a forum like that might represent a smaller piece of that pie?

The people playing Bejeweled and Plants vs Zombies don't know what input lag is.

When developers are scrambling for lag fixes all the time I'm sure those complaints submitted through google play games are being taken seriously.

Wishful and hopeful thinking are great. How many tears have you've shed with all of your favorite console failures? 😂😂😂 Must be rivers by now from Milo, to da cloud, to kinect to CD3 lol

Luckily Psnow and Sony been there and are doing tht. Smart of them to acquire OnLive patents, gakai, etc Nd invest and offer options 😁

With that said I'm Interested in Google if the price is right. The price is what stopped me from getting Psnow Initially bcus the streaming was good for me.

😅🤣🤣 I'm purely for gaming, SP story driven, exclusives. What went down outside of that like Kinects, xclouds whatever tha @#$% lol ( and who the f is Milo?! 🤣🤣)had zero intrest to me

Fbh

The problem with that audience is that they are used to games being free or very cheap. They might not know what input lag is but they know the App Store is full of "good" free games so why pay $15 a month (or whatever it ends up being)?

As one of the devs behind the Banner Saga said a few years ago:
""They'll spend $600 on an iPad, and $4 on a coffee, drop $20 on lunch, but when it comes to spending four or five dollars on a game, it's this life-altering decision. I'm frustrated with that too." "

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I personally think this is Google trying to get on the profit train to make games like Apex and Fortnite more accessible to everyone and get some of that pie.

EDMIX

End of traditional consoles? Jesus, come on.

Even Phil Spencer himself said that downloading a game will always be the best way to play games, and that streaming works well in certain scenarios.

Agreed.

The biggest issue regarding this is way too many factors come into play one of the biggest being data caps. The next one that's going to come into play clearly is going to simply just be the speed so nevermind data cops the speed needed for smooth gaming I would argue would go over the price of simply just buying a console to play what you need to play natively. What's even more strange about this is the demographic they're aiming for also seems to be a demographic that wants to play their content natively how many people do you know who are rocking two monitors 4K TVs and don't have the hardware to actually run those things?

Yeah they want to stream it the one thing that's going to have so many variables?

The next thing that comes into mind and what I believe is the most important to Consumers is simply ownership. If you're just put into a subscription where you don't actually own anything this questions the longevity of some of these titles so to put it fair it's no different than when we see old PlayStation 3 in 360 games go offline now can you imagine this happening with a single player game? What happens when Google wants to force a sequel by canceling the older version? When we talk about games that are unfinished can you imagine a game developer that clearly doesn't need to tell you they're updating things or patching things? I would argue this would allow a developer to release a game in an even more broken State considering they could always just continue to infinitely patch it without that much recognition of what's going on.

So the amount of money to increase the speed on top of whatever they're going to have for this subscription I would argue over the course of years would overtake the price it would cost simply the buy the hardware.

So I don't see this destroying console gaming I would argue I see this hurting Microsoft more than any other company cuz they're the ones that were trying to focus on there but they just don't have an infrastructure anywhere near Google's to seriously even put a dent in what Google's attempting here. So I see Sony and Nintendo being the best at surviving this because clearly they actually make Hardware that move massive units, the best in Microsoft can do in my personal opinion is double back on Hardware show the importance of having native Hardware on top of showing that streaming is an option for them and not the only way.

So I believe in order for Microsoft to survive this they need to be able to show off that they are able to give the consumer the actual hardware for those who wish to play at natively on top of streaming anywhere.

100% cloud also means 100% zero ownership by the consumer.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My favorite is when they announced Unreal 4 is if they have some sort of new hotness, when it's just old news that Epic wants their engine on anything and everything. It's revenue for them, lol.

EDMIX

XBox is rumored to be 14TF minimum... Haven't we hard for the last 3-4 years now that power is irrelevant, it's all about the GAMES??? Look at Nintendo Switch... the least power and it's old megatons of consoles because of exclusive games that people WANT. This is why Stadia is DOA - it has no games.

" power is irrelevant, it's all about the GAMES?? " Huh? I agree with you, but the person is asking about specs, they are not saying games are not important

trikster40

The power of the cloud........
You member?

That stream was a first hand example of marketing buzzwords.
The lack of information about it's product was a red flag. Surprised they didn't slap a HDREADY sticker on it.

Don't get me wrong, If this blows everything out of the water then I'll eat my words.
But that thing stank of "plz invest in us and we will TRY to deliver".

Oh yes, the infamous “power of the cloud”. Why not say it’s like 100 Tflops then? I’d expect more if the cloud is the power.

Saw this gif, it’s fittong even though it’s the wrong company:

SPCR3Ey.gif

I have a 1Gig connection and can't see my self ever enjoying streaming games.

I tried in home streaming with a wired connection and still hated it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Capture.jpg

wow if being a gamer dev wasn't shit enough already..
artist on spotify do live shows to make money..

how do gamedevs do this ?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Capture.jpg

That's hilarious. So it'll be just a Fortnite/Apex/PUBG streaming platform. Maybe CoD and company, lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
tbh this future is scary af

Nah, dev's could just say fuck off and keep making games for actual consoles and PCs, that are actually selling, that are showing no signs of slowing down.

I get that big publishers want to push for this that way they can control the license 100%, but there are plenty of Indie and AAA/AA games not from the big 3 (EA, Activision, UbiSoft) to play.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Nah, dev's could just say fuck off and keep making games for actual consoles and PCs, that are actually selling, that are showing no signs of slowing down.

that's the thing, this isn't games, this is more about a delivery device for games. did they announce any exclusive Google games? no. did they announce or show any games coming out for it that are not already announced for other systems? no. they have nothing. would you buy a game system that had no games? of course not.

so they are offering the ability to stream games made by others. this is what seems to be the only attraction here. Netflix for games, only with lag and glitches and basically unplayable if you are using a public wifi or likely even a home wifi internet connection. so yeah, like Netflix but worse. plus Fortnight can already be played on every console. it can even be played on phones. i mean if Google wants to swing their licensing dick around and see if they catch honey, it's America, baby, go for it. but call it like it is, they are just making money off syndication, they are like a local TV station that licenses reruns of Seinfeld.

but it really isn't a console. it isn't a system. there is no box. there are no games. it doesn't exist. this is just a service, and the "competing with Xbox/Playstation" is solely a marketing gimmick. cynical stirring up console wars. it isn't in competition because this isn't a console. it's an online streaming service.

Last edited:

PsyEd

Did they mention the hidden camera and microphone which will also be embedded in this fine google hardware?

Time will tell how it plays out

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
that's the thing, this isn't games, this is more about a delivery device for games. did they announce any exclusive Google games? no. did they announce or show any games coming out for it that are not already announced for other systems? no. they have nothing. would you buy a game system that had no games? of course not.

so they are offering the ability to stream games made by others. this is what seems to be the only attraction here. Netflix for games, only with lag and glitches and basically unplayable if you are using a public wifi or likely even a home wifi internet connection. so yeah, like Netflix but worse. plus Fortnight can already be played on every console. it can even be played on phones. i mean if Google wants to swing their licensing dick around and see if they catch honey, it's America, baby, go for it. but call it like it is, they are just making money off syndication, they are like a local TV station that licenses reruns of Seinfeld.

but it really isn't a console. it isn't a system. there is no box. there are no games. it doesn't exist. this is just a service, and the "competing with Xbox/Playstation" is solely a marketing gimmick. cynical stirring up console wars. it isn't in competition because this isn't a console. it's an online streaming service.

I'm talking in context with how developers get paid. If it's time spent that good luck to anything not the most hotness, when they can just continue to sell native copies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Capture.jpg

They won't support such platforms/services. Because they are only really suited to ongoing GaaS offerings, where MTX are the real profit center to the dev/pub.

As I've been saying for months, environment shapes content, and all a-la-carte services are fundamentally the same sort of commercial environment. Yes, individual service providers can self-fund "loss leader" titles to draw attention (the GamePass strat), whilst filling out the catalog with older product the shelf-life of which has expired or is way past its prime, but such platforms can only evolve in the one direction towards GaaS, as thats the only sustainable model for content providers.

"Content is king"
I believe the late Satora Iwata said that.

"People who make their own software should make their own hardware"
I believe the late Steve Jobs said that.

So with that..

Where there is Pokémon..there will be a handheld.

Nintendo is good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom