• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google tricked stupid Facebook users! Hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Ow.

Ow.

Pain. I am feeling physical pain from the stupidity. I have to stop reading these, otherwise my brain is going to take the easy way out with an aneurysm.

Momo

Banned
Comment #522 said:
See, this is why technology is bad for the human race. In centuries gone by, all of the commentards whining about their FB login would have been the local cave idiots who were too stupid to run away from the sabre-toothed tiger. Thus, nature would have pruned the dead wood, and the species would stay trim and healthy and at a manageable population level.
Fast forward to present day, and now all this plankton is clogging up the gene pool instead of doing the decent thing and dying off and taking their malformed DNA with them.

Christ on a cracker, it makes me want to go on a chain-saw rampage.
Oh shit :lol

2usu7au.png

R2D4

Banned
Willy105 said:
I know people like this in real life. What's worse, they appear completely normal.

That's because they are normal. They just can't grasp concepts of the internet and computers even thought they have both been hugely popular for 15 years. I assume it's like people trying to grasp the concept of driving a car when they were introduced.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
...and people get all hot and bothered when I say I don't think too highly of the "average" person...

Look at this shit. Just fucking look at it.

I understand that people think computers are magical things that they don't fully understand...but how does someone get dropped on a webpage that is clearly labelled as something else and is totally different...yet think it's something else?

There are SO MANY indicators that should have tipped people off:
- URL (I'm not at www.facebook.com right now)
- Page Title (I'm on some completely different site looking at a Facebook article)
- Content (clearly none of the content was the same...why assume you're on Facebook?)
- Comments? (what the fuck did people think they were commenting on...some kind of global Facebook thread?)​
I have a real hard time giving the "average" person any leeway on shit like this. It'd be one thing if the site at least looked and functioned the same...but it's a totally different fucking website! :lol

I'm trying to come up with some parallel that isn't technology related...and all I can think of is valet parking.

Some guy drives up to you with some different car and tells you it's yours...and you genuinely think it's your car...but it's totally different. You yell and shout at the valet, asking him why he tampered with your car...how you want your car to look like how it used to...

It just makes no fucking sense.

WillyFive

RubxQub said:
- Page Title (I'm on some completely different site looking at a Facebook article)
- Content (clearly none of the content was the same...why assume you're on Facebook?)
- Comments? (what the fuck did people think they were commenting on...some kind of global Facebook thread?)​
I have a real hard time giving the "average" person any leeway on shit like this. It'd be one thing if the site at least looked and functioned the same...but it's a totally different fucking website! :lol

None of those things are obvious things you look at when at a computer. You have to look around the screen too much to notice those things.

This thread of responses is the single most awesome, tragicomic example of internet stupid I've ever been lucky to witness. It's like having Carrot Top pull my spleen out through my nostril.

Screw the blog post's actual topic. The post itself is a brilliant innovation. Genius! Think about this! Everyone who can't figure out that this is a blog post about Facebook, not Facebook itself, is actually prevented from finding Facebook and logging in! Which means-- think about this, world! -- we don't have to read their status updates anymore!

It's like a digital kiddie-pen that prevents the intertube impaired from falling down the stairwell of social media!

Thank you, RWW!

Posted by: Captain Obvious | February 10, 2010 2:12 PM

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

MIMIC

Banned
I didn't understand how people would even confuse that site with Facebook until I read this reply (and similar replies):

BuddhaRockstar said:
What's disturbing is how many people rely on just mashing words into google and then smashing enter without even checking where they're going. I used to wonder how phishing sites found people so dense, but we're now at a point where a lot of people using computers really don't know the absolute basics about them.

ZOMG my animalz are dying in farmville and they miss me... AND I NEED THEM>!

LET ME IN!!!!!! WTF!11one oen!!Eleven!!!

Teh new way sux, am taking ball n goin home.

Posted by: Thorn | February 12, 2010 7:20 AM

:lol :lol :lol

hulot

RubxQub said:
...and people get all hot and bothered when I say I don't think too highly of the "average" person...
To be fair, this isn't exactly an accurate representation of the 'average person'. First, they have to pass the idiot check of googling URLs. Second, another idiot test to actually sign up for a site they had thought was Facebook. Third, final idiot test, posting a comment trying to figure out why Facebook had changed. That's three idiot checks right there. It's the worst of the worst. Not exactly average.

RubxQub

hulot said:
To be fair, this isn't exactly an accurate representation of the 'average person'. First, they have to pass the idiot check of googling URLs. Second, another idiot test to actually sign up for a site they had thought was Facebook. Third, final idiot test, posting a comment trying to figure out why Facebook had changed. That's three idiot checks right there. It's the worst of the worst. Not exactly average.
True, who knows if what we're looking at is purely the bottom of the barrel...but that barrel seems so fucking huge that it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to think that the average person is skewed much more towards the "how did I get here, I don't even..." instead of "oh...this obviously isn't facebook..."

Bob White

RubxQub said:

Look at this shit. Just fucking look at it....

Thank you for posting what I feel deep in my heart. May the wasteland that the stupids will bring be kind to you.

X26

Banned
So basically..

- People type facebook into google
- Click random site that pops up thinking it's facebook
- Register for said site and are confused because it's nothing like facebook

Right?

But when you type facebook into google, the first hit is always facebook.com, so I don't get it

Tobor

X26 said:
So basically..

Right?

But when you type facebook into google, the first hit is always facebook.com, so I don't get it

They were typing "facebook login".

noisome07

Banned
X26 said:
So basically..

Right?

They're clicking the news article at the top =/

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
RubxQub said:

Look at this shit. Just fucking look at it.

I understand that people think computers are magical things that they don't fully understand...but how does someone get dropped on a webpage that is clearly labelled as something else and is totally different...yet think it's something else?

I'm trying to come up with some parallel that isn't technology related...and all I can think of is valet parking.

Some guy drives up to you with some different car and tells you it's yours...and you genuinely think it's your car...but it's totally different. You yell and shout at the valet, asking him why he tampered with your car...how you want your car to look like how it used to...

Your analogy works better if the valet never actually claims it was your car. You just take the first one that drives up and start screaming about how Honda changed your car to a Ford for no reason at all, and now your keys don't work.

Or forget the whole valet thing altogether, and use somebody wandering through a parking garage screaming "WHERE CAR IS" and assuming the nearest one is yours because it's close to you.

X26 said:
So basically..

Right?

They were typing "facebook login" which had that article as the first result.

RubxQub

Tobor said:
You're confused, they're confused. Everybody is confused.
This is why I hate playing poker with people that don't understand or are willfully ignorant of basic statistics.

You just can't play the game with any kind of strategy if you can't even begin to anticipate what the person across from the table is trying to do.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
fortified_concept said:
Are we sure this isn't a 4chan hoax? People can't be this stupid.

I worked customer service for a student loan company for a while. I shit you not, I heard the question "It says click next to continue. What should I do?" three times a week. Not fucking exaggerating.

These are people in college. You know. Higher education.

Another one that happened not nearly as often, but unfortunately more than once:

We had a security question system for the login. Pick three questions, put answers in. People would get confused as to why the page wouldn't let them proceed because they looked at the list of questions, thought about which one they wanted to answer, and clicked "Choose one" in the drop down. They couldn't understand why it wouldn't let them continue.

dudeworld

fortified_concept said:

It's possible... but the comments are with actual facebook accounts. It would have had to have been a well-prepared hoax.

Archaix said:
I worked customer service for a student loan company for a while. I shit you not, I heard the question "It says click next to continue. What should I do?" three times a week. Not fucking exaggerating.

These are people in college. You know. Higher education.

Another one that happened not nearly as often, but unfortunately more than once:

We had a security question system for the login. Pick three questions, put answers in. People would get confused as to why the page wouldn't let them proceed because they looked at the list of questions, thought about which one they wanted to answer, and clicked "Choose one" in the drop down. They couldn't understand why it wouldn't let them continue.

:lol Amazing

Prez

*pick up dog from the vet, see a cat*

WUT HAVE YOU DONE TO DOG

*want to go to attic, go to basement*

OH NOES HOUSE IS UPSIDE DOWN

Dagon

fortified_concept said:

I browsed through the photos and wall posts on Facebook of a Farmville-addict who posted there. It's no joke.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
why did Facebook changes its name to Neogaf? why is the interface so different? why does this look like a forum? wtf facebook

GIVE ME MY OLD FACEBOOK RIGHT NAO!!1

You know, I've always felt that it was a real problem telling people to just search "x" and click the top result. Even legitimate companies instruct people to do that on their commercials. I really think phishing is going to explode in popularity soon. Even with anti-phishing measures in place in some browsers, some people really do just blindly click without reading anything. Not to mention that most of these people aren't educated enough to know what a browser is, much less how and why to choose a different (non-ie6) browser.

Besides, you can't guarantee that your official site will always be the top result for all eternity. That shit changes all the time and it is out of your control.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I truly love Faceback.I am able to talk to more then one person.

this one made me laugh a lot more than it should have.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
You guys are surprised?

The average person is fucking TECH-ILLITERATE. Outside of the internet they look like "normal" people but holy shit put them in front of a computer and they have absolutely no idea what they're fucking doing.

I hate people, so many people are SO FUCKING STUPID.

I tell you, 90% of the people on facebook...their internet IS Facebook. When they reference that they use the internet, what they mean is that they use facebook and everything else is like another fucking language.

At first it's annoying, but then I realized it just makes me feel better knowing that I'm not them.

At first I thought to myself, how do these obvious phishing e-mails and sites work on people? How dumb must you be to fall for such an OBVIOUS fucking trap? Well, that's about 90% of the internet users. You could go on facebook and e-mail a lot of people telling them you knew a way to get them free money or some shit and link it to a shock site (as long as you use tinyurl, tinyurl is the key to getting past an idiot), and it'd work.

Another thing, people don't know what an .exe file is, anyone who knows the internet knows not to just go playing around with .exe files. Holy shit.

/rant on how stupid people are, because they are.

dyls

I always wondered how Google got to be one of the biggest companies in the world almost solely on the back of their search engine. I figured I googled things as much as the next person, but apparently I really under- (over?) estimated the next person. I simply cannot believe that people google 'facebook login' every single time.

It's not like it's still 5 years ago when you had to enter in http:// or www. or even .com. Don't pretty much all browsers now allow you to just type 'facebook' into the address bar?

Truly bewildering.

edit: Has anyone else tried clicking on the links to peoples' profiles who are making these comments? It's a whole game unto itself. The wonderful part is that, quite obviously, they are already logged in to facebook.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/neogaf.com said:
Username: wasabiking
Password: puppies123kittens

80% success rate (5 votes)
What the hell?
I really hope thats false.

RubxQub

Fersis said:
What the hell?
Admins should ban every IP that tries that combination now :lol

Status