• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP are becoming concerned about upcoming elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
"progressive" and "centrist" do not have single dimensions to them. basically everyone wants things like healthcare and infrastructure, and people in rural areas are not going to vote for wall street democrats.

Only Wall Street Republicans, of course.

Everyone "wants" things, but everyone does not want things the same way. Centrist Democrat might decide the current Obamacare system is enough, which I've seen some Bernie supporters go apocalyptic over.

Look at how nuanced that subject is alone

That's just one subject. Ask any America how they want improved infrastructure and you'll similarly get a hundred different answers, and a "Centrist Democrat" and "Far Left Democrat" are going to have two entirely different solutions. And I can assure you, one of them will have a solution despised by Berniecrats.

Ac30

"progressive" and "centrist" do not have single dimensions to them. basically everyone wants things like healthcare and infrastructure, and people in rural areas are not going to vote for wall street democrats.

I think he's talking more about pro-abortion/gay rights democrats running on higher taxes and better social benefits in red areas, but yes we shouldn't ship California liberals there either.

That's why I'm hoping someone from the Midwest runs for the Democrat nomination in 2020, although I have no idea who - Franken? Knowing our luck we'll get Gabbard, though.

It's weird seeing some of the same people who call the DNC corrupt&out of touch also complaining that the DNC is not getting involved in these races

The DNC should help with voter lists/contacts and that's about the extent of it. Maybe money if it gets really close. Anything else would hurt candidates running in red states

Anything the GOP is concerned, it means they're going to win.

Now that their healthcare isn't going to be taken away, Republican voters don't care anymore and would gladly vote for them again.

thefro

It's weird seeing some of the same people who call the DNC corrupt&out of touch also complaining that the DNC is not getting involved in these races

The DNC should help with voter lists/contacts and that's about the extent of it. Maybe money if it gets really close. Anything else would hurt candidates running in red states

I think the DNC sent staffers and the DCCC is putting staff/money into Ossoff's district (I got a call from them trying to raise money).

Kansas & Montana are longer shots, but I'm sure the state parties there are going to get $$$ which they can pass on to those candidates.

Keep in mind also Perez/Ellison recently just took over the DNC less than a couple months, so they're still in the "rebuilding" phase of the process there and don't have a ton of money in the bank.

Only Wall Street Republicans, of course.

Everyone "wants" things, but everyone does not want things the same way. Centrist Democrat might decide the current Obamacare system is enough, which I've seen some Bernie supporters go apocalyptic over.

Look at how nuanced that subject is alone

That's just one subject. Ask any America how they want improved infrastructure and you'll similarly get a hundred different answers, and a "Centrist Democrat" and "Far Left Democrat" are going to have two entirely different solutions. And I can assure you, one of them will have a solution despised by Berniecrats.
The current Obamacare system is unacceptable. It leaves millions of people without health insurance, including some of the most vulnerable people, and often leaves shitty insurance for those who do have it (see Minnesota where the Democratic governor who basically did everything he was supposed to talking about how it was increasingly unaffordable for people without subsidies). It's a big accomplishment that helped a lot of people but it is unacceptable that the richest country on the planet does not provide universal healthcare. We can discuss how to get there if you're anti-single payer but the current status quo should always be unacceptable.

Amir0x

Banned
The current Obamacare system is unacceptable. It leaves millions of people without health insurance, including some of the most vulnerable people, and often leaves shitty insurance for those who do have it (see Minnesota where the Democratic governor who basically did everything he was supposed to talking about how it was increasingly unaffordable for people without subsidies). It's a big accomplishment that helped a lot of people but it is unacceptable that the richest country on the planet does not provide universal healthcare. We can discuss how to get there if you're anti-single payer but the current status quo should always be unacceptable.

You've missed the point.

First, I agree, Obamacare is not the "end of the line." I don't agree we shouldn't have done it at all - some improvement is vastly preferable to no improvement, and there was no other version of the health care bill getting passed Congress. Thank God we have this much, millions were helped. So we have what we have, now to iterate.

But second, and to my point, I was saying that in order to get a proper full bodied Congressional majority, we are going to have to accept Democrats in red states who don't want to go much further than the milquetoast Obamacare. The problem becomes when you want legislation to pass but are unwilling to accept compromise/flawed candidates in legislative districts that you have no chance of winning otherwise. Centrist Dem on some issues >> Republican lunatic on all issues.

mcfrank

Trump and Pence have recorded Robocalls for Kansas 04. They are really scared of losing a seat that Trump won by 27%. I really hope my friends in Wichita get this done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom