• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP are becoming concerned about upcoming elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proof that the Democrat is "within spitting distance?" I haven't seen any polling about it. It sounded like the best we could hope for was a close race. Which, the fact that Pence & Cruz are visiting the district is a good a sign. That means the GOP is worried. Not sure it means the Democrat really has a very good chance of winning.

You also don't want to nationalize a race in Kansas where the Democratic Party is deeply unpopular.

If they're worried, that means there's a chance of winning. Otherwise, they wouldn't be that worried.

And yet the DNC won't put money into the Kansas congressional race with a Bernie-esque Democrat within spitting distance of the GOP candidate. The GOP is panicking and sending Cruz/Pence robo-calls throughout the district, and the DNC says it "can't invest in every race.". Womp womp.

DNC leadership would rather have a nutjob they can whine about in office over someone who is progressive in the slightest.

This is nothing new.

FStubbs

Proof that the Democrat is "within spitting distance?" I haven't seen any polling about it. It sounded like the best we could hope for was a close race. Which, the fact that Pence & Cruz are visiting the district is a good a sign. That means the GOP is worried. Not sure it means the Democrat really has a very good chance of winning.

You also don't want to nationalize a race in Kansas where the Democratic Party is deeply unpopular.

And why is the Democratic party deeply unpopular in Kansas? Race. It's not easily solvable.

If and when democrats are back in power, what can we do to make it harder for republicans to vote?

I want to play dirty.

There's no need to play dirty. Pass a law that creates a national ID free for every citizen. And also pass a law that requires all congressional districts to be drawn by a computer with the results overseen by a non partisan panel. Do both of those things and extreme partisan politics will disappear.

DNC leadership would rather have a nutjob they can whine about in office over someone who is progressive in the slightest.

This is nothing new.

Yeah, Nancy Pelosi is such a conservative Democrat

hint: the DNC spending money in places like Kansas would do hurt the candidate more than it would help

Theres no need to play dirty. Pass a law that creates a national ID free for every citizen. And also pass a law that requires all congressional districts to be drawn by a computer with the results overseen by a non partisan panel. Do both of those things and extreme partisan politics will disappear.

Ha, yep. The only way Dems can "play dirty" is to let more people vote which is...not dirty.

UraMallas

What about Bernie? Maybe get him out there.

Good. Base your party around an amoral lying sociopath, antagonizing growing minority voting blocs, and having no coherent legislative aims other than "line pockets of billionaires" and "do the opposite of what Obama/the Dems do" and all you have to get out of this is radicalization, in-fighting, disfunction, and loophole abuse then get voted out on your asses.

Volimar

Honestly, I doubt we'll see many gains, but forcing them to spend money everywhere is kind of nice.

I just don't have any faith at all in the average voter, especially during midterms.

Eidan

We really need to make a thread that clearly explains the role of the DNC and RNC. The 2016 Democratic primary made it pretty clear most people have no clue what either actually do, and what kind of power and influence either have.

And yet the DNC won't put money into the Kansas congressional race with a Bernie-esque Democrat within spitting distance of the GOP candidate. The GOP is panicking and sending Cruz/Pence robo-calls throughout the district, and the DNC says it "can't invest in every race.". Womp womp.

Would be willing to provide some further reading for these claims? What does the actual candidate want them to do? Get in or stay out of it? Where is the DNC saying "they can't invest in every race" in response to this Kansas contest? Also, the DNC would not be in charge of this, that would be the DCCC. You are clearly ignorant.

Ac30

We really need to make a thread that clearly explains the role of the DNC and RNC. The 2016 Democratic primary made it pretty clear most people have no clue what either actually do, and what kind of power and influence either have.

I'd much rather complain about the establishment holding progressives down thank you

Honestly, I doubt we'll see many gains, but forcing them to spend money everywhere is kind of nice.

I just don't have any faith at all in the average voter, especially during midterms.

I mean, during midterms is when we generally see the shift away from the party in power, or at least the President. I know people are pessimistic about how midterms have gone over the last few years for Dems, but that was also part of this cycle. We'll see.

Mortemis

Banned
Read about this earlier. It would be nice for the democrats to get a win this early in a republican district with a fuck trump messaging, and could be a preview for 2018.

But gerrymandering makes me more doubtful that Dems could win back the house.

Removing options for voting purely on partisan bullshit shouldn't be legal. Hell, removing voting options at all should be illegal. I'm assuming something like this has been brought to the SCOTUS and was somehow allowed to stand?

The Voting Rights Act isn't a thing anymore, as of three years ago.

kirblar

Read about this earlier. It would be nice for the democrats to get a win this early in a republican district with a fuck trump messaging, and could be a preview for 2018.

But gerrymandering makes me more doubtful that Dems could win back the house.
As it stands the Dems have almost enough seats to do it just with the suburban districts that Clinton took that currently have GOP reps.

Get a wave election, and you'll have enough. Gerrymandering reduces margins, so if you get a wave, it's a catastrophe.

As it stands the Dems have almost enough seats to do it just with the suburban districts that Clinton took that currently have GOP reps.

Get a wave election, and you'll have enough. Gerrymandering reduces margins, so if you get a wave, it's a catastrophe.

Has there also been a few key areas where the SC struck down the current gerrymandering as well? Not sure where it defaults to exactly, but I'm sure I've read about that a few times

McLovin

I want to say it's gonna be a huge turnaround but Trump is our fucking president. I'll go out and vote but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't know anything about him so I don't want to explicitly support him, but hearing that grassroots progressive movements might lead to positive change makes me feel good.

I often try to imagine what a Democratic equivalent of voter suppression would look like: Polls open from 9 PM to midnight and small-print ballots only with no option for large print (but an option for braille), and you can only register to vote via Smartphone.
Love this post.

voting can also be done via Instagram or Snapchat. Polling locations can be found in any artisanal doughnut shop or craft brewery.

ZOONAMI

2018 preview. They will do whatever to hold on to power by as undemocratic as possible.

Yep, they are already trying to further fix the electoral college with initiatives to split electoral tallies in states that generally are blue, or where in this last election it was an outlier it went red.

TaterTots

Banned
I wish I could vote online or mail it in. It's tough with my job to find time. I was hoping that would become the norm. Thanks.

shem935

Banned

Imma spoil this for you as I'm 99% sure this will be the case but even if you spent as much or more as the republican here it wouldn't make a difference. The republican will win the special election. This area is some of the most republican counties in the united states. AND STILL, with no investment and few endorsements for the democrat, republicans feel the need to spend extra money and get heavy hitters involved. Historically it makes no sense for either party to spend money here. The fact that they are is telling. If the race is closer than it should be with such a staked deck for the republican the RNC is gonna start having nightmares.

What about Bernie? Maybe get him out there.

That would go over well in goddamn kansas lmao

Afrodium

Banned
The number one legislative priority for dems if they ever get a majority should be voting modernization.

Everything from elimination of gerrymandering to secure electronic online voting*. If the latter already existed the GOP would effectively cease to exist.

Actually far more secure and checkable than paper ballots and physical locations. You could run a simple checksum to validate the end integrity.

Were this to happen it's a guarantee Fox News and other conservative outlets would be screaming about corrupt Democrats changing the rules to suppress Republican/white votes, in turn a perceived scandal that owns the narrative in a way that Democrats have been entirely ineffectual in doing for Republican voter suppression efforts.

shem935

Banned
You're right, we should get Hussein out there instead

:p

What you need are regional democrats. If you watch Thompsons adds at all he doesn't mention anyone in higher leadership for democrats. He barely mentions he is a democrat! Problem is we don't have a lot of regional democrats after so long of republicans running things. Democrat's name is mud essentially.

Wilsongt

Removing options for voting purely on partisan bullshit shouldn't be legal. Hell, removing voting options at all should be illegal. I'm assuming something like this has been brought to the SCOTUS and was somehow allowed to stand?

Yes. When they gutted the Voting Rights Act, the flood gates were opened for this nonsense.

What you need are regional democrats. If you watch Thompsons adds at all he doesn't mention anyone in higher leadership for democrats. He barely mentions he is a democrat! Problem is we don't have a lot of regional democrats after so long of republicans running things. Democrat's name is mud essentially.

Blue dog democrats are like the opposite of what Bernie supporters want though

Ac30

Blue dog democrats are like the opposite of what Bernie supporters want though

Bernie supporters aren't the ones voting in Kansas though I'd hope/imagine. Democrats are pissed in general.

Yes. When they gutted the Voting Rights Act, the flood gates were opened for this nonsense.

Fuckers.

I was just making a shitty joke, but indeed, I hope the DNC stays far away from these races, the last thing we need is them losing because of the "corrupt" DNC.

aeolist

Banned
don't worry, democrats are on the case!

When Quist arrived last month in Fort Benton, Chouteau County's biggest town, nearly 70 people gathered to hear him speak.

“We're a very Republican, red, conservative area,” Bailey told The Huffington Post by phone in a recent interview, describing the first rally they held with Quist in March. “I was like, ‘Holy cow!'”

Now, his rallies regularly draw hundreds. It's precisely the kind of organizing Democrats say is essential to rebuilding the party and taking back power. But back in Washington, Democrats are conflicted on how or whether to get involved in the race. Some aren't following it at all.

Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) was the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's national mobilization chair in 2016. “Montana special election?” Clyburn said, when HuffPost asked if the DCCC planned to get more involved in the race. Somebody nearby told him the race was to replace Zinke. “Oh, I didn't know about that,” Clyburn said.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
don't worry, democrats are on the case!

If the national party got involved in that race the Dem in that race would lose in 20 seconds. That's just how it is in parts of the country, the party needs to take a backseat and just let the candidate run it all themselves.

Mortemis

Banned

That's nice to hear. I'll be crossing my fingers in 2018 ( and doing my part ofc).

They will keep gerrymandering to retain positions. What are they worried about? They have the most corrupt people in office on their side, so I don't see what they should worry about.

Ac30

Send Obama to the cities, Bernie to the rust belt and Biden to the south/midwest.

Keep Hillary tucked away safely in NY.

If you want a 50-state strategy you'll need them. Not everywhere is Vermont.

Try explaining that to some Bernie supporters. They clamor for 50 state strategy then turn around and talk about hating the more central democrat representatives and that they all need to be these super progressive leaning fresh out of college not part of the ever nebulous "establishment" (I don't even know what that is anymore, it's lost all meaning after this election).

Ac30

Try explaining that to some Bernie supporters. They clamor for 50 state strategy then turn around and talk about hating the more central democrat representatives and that they all need to be these super progressive leaning fresh out of college not part of the ever nebulous "establishment" (I don't even know what that is anymore, it's lost all meaning after this election).

I'm just happy Bernie is doing the right thing and caucusing with Democrats and getting progressives in that way, rather than supporting the Justice Democrats and letting Cenk do whatever the fuck he wants while simultaneously costing the left elections.

aeolist

Banned

"progressive" and "centrist" do not have single dimensions to them. basically everyone wants things like healthcare and infrastructure, and people in rural areas are not going to vote for wall street democrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom