• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Operative Sought Clinton Emails From Hackers, Implied a Connection to Flynn

People are impatient because Trumps entire life has been him skirting any personal responsibility.

His entire life doesn't involved being deep in "enemy" territory. As he pisses off the intellegence community, the UN and NATO intelligence. Who have been watching him and his associates for years and other russia or chinese activities.

We should thank Obama for putting forward that order to allow the NSA and other IC agencies. To openly share information for the first time ever. I believe, something that was unheard of and set off mild alarms. But that action didn't really grab people, in wake and shock of Trump winning.

Now we are getting a look at how invalidated the 2016 election may have been.

Ok, then I guess the follow up question would be what's stopping congress from ignoring the results of the investigation ?

Only one thing: voter opinion. The only way GOP congresspeople vote to impeach/remove a GOP president is if they think not doing so would result in losing elections.

And I don't mean polls. After how the last election turned out, I doubt anything but a massive loss in 2018 could force their hand.

Mr Swine

Banned
Only one thing: voter opinion. The only way GOP congresspeople vote to impeach/remove a GOP president is if they think not doing so would result in losing elections.

And I don't mean polls. After how the last election turned out, I doubt anything but a massive loss in 2018 could force their hand.

So does that mean that if they win with a very big advantage in the mid terms they can simply ignore the impeachment and say that it's just the Dems going after Trump/GOP. Doesn't that mean that USA is then more or less a dictatorship?

antonz

In reality there is no actual legal standing on if the President can be tried for crimes or not. The DOJ has self ruled on two occasions that they believe there is no standing to indict a sitting President as it "would undermine the ability for the Executive to perform its functions."

Its really something for the Supreme Court to decide.

Ri'Orius

So does that mean that if they win with a very big advantage in the mid terms they can simply ignore the impeachment and say that it's just the Dems going after Trump/GOP. Doesn't that mean that USA is then more or less a dictatorship?

I mean, it's still democratic in that scenario. If the electorate is happy to keep pulling the R lever, then the Republicans get to do what they want. There are checks and balances, but at the end of the day it all comes down to the voters.

And it turns out a lot of voters fall for Trump's two-bit conman routine.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
His entire life doesn't involved being deep in "enemy" territory. As he pisses off the intellegence community, the UN and NATO intelligence. Who have been watching him and his associates for years and other russia or chinese activities.

This is the first I have read that the IC, UN, and NATO have been looking into him and his associates for years. Do you have a source?

In reality there is no actual legal standing on if the President can be tried for crimes or not. The DOJ has self ruled on two occasions that they believe there is no standing to indict a sitting President as it "would undermine the ability for the Executive to perform its functions."

Its really something for the Supreme Court to decide.

And Mueller just happened to hire the one person most qualified to argue for a Presidential indictment before the Supreme Court. Funny, that.

WaPo said:
Justice Department deputy solicitor general Michael Dreeben, who has argued more than 100 cases before the Supreme Court, is the department’s go-to lawyer on criminal justice cases and is highly respected by Democrats and Republicans because of his encyclopedic knowledge of criminal law.

Dreeben will work part time for Mueller, according to Justice officials, while he continues to oversee the department’s criminal appellate cases.

Former and current Justice Department officials say that Mueller’s recruitment of Dreeben shows how serious he is about the investigation and signals complexities in the probe.

“Michael is the most brilliant and most knowledgeable federal criminal lawyer in America — period,” said Walter Dellinger, a law professor at Duke University School of Law and acting solicitor general for the 1996-1997 term of the Supreme Court.

First question's answer is yes. If the GOP wins big in 2018, not only can they ignore calls for impeachment, they will have effectively been told to do so by voters. That's assuming the possibility of impeachment is a key issue in the elections, but that's a fair assumption.

Which makes the answer to your second question no. Fairly elected officials, even corrupt ones, do not constitute a dictatorship. And even though there are a few legitimate asterisks on that "fairly".

antonz

There are hacker forums where you can just be like "hey, can anyone get Hillary's e-mails?" ???

There are dark corners of the internet that pretty much exist for that kind of stuff yeah and they aren't even restricted to the tor networks they are plain old websites.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I really don't think he knows what is going on with anything. This WaPo article talks about how he seems to not know anything about the health care bill (and many other things) or what is going on with it.

I honestly think the impression of Trump from that article is how it is with everything, including potential collusion with Russia. I really don't think he understands what is going on around him.
Hook, line, and sinker.

There are hacker forums where you can just be like "hey, can anyone get Hillary's e-mails?" ???

There are literally forums for everything. I love the internet.

For everyone saying all these little things are nothing take a look at the special councils team. These people are not ambulance chasers.

The Time I Got Recruited to Collude with the Russians

The first group, entitled “Trump Campaign (in coordination to the extent permitted as an independent expenditure)” listed a number of senior campaign officials: Steve Bannon, Kellyanne Conway, Sam Clovis, Lt. Gen. Flynn and Lisa Nelson.

The largest group named a number of “independent groups / organizations / individuals / resources to be deployed.” My name appears on this list. At the time, I didn’t recognize most of the others; however, several made headlines in the weeks immediately prior to the election.

My perception then was that the inclusion of Trump campaign officials on this document was not merely a name-dropping exercise. This document was about establishing a company to conduct opposition research on behalf of the campaign, but operating at a distance so as to avoid campaign reporting. Indeed, the document says as much in black and white.

Top Bottom