• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: GOP Activist Who Sought Clinton Emails Cited Trump Campaign Officials

chadskin

A longtime Republican activist who led an operation hoping to obtain Hillary Clinton emails from hackers listed senior members of the Trump campaign, including some who now serve as top aides in the White House, in a recruitment document for his effort.

The activist, Peter W. Smith, named the officials in a section of the document marked “Trump Campaign.” The document was dated Sept. 7, 2016. That was around the time Mr. Smith said he started his search for 33,000 emails Mrs. Clinton deleted from the private server she used for official business while secretary of state.
Mr. Smith’s purpose in listing the officials isn’t clear. There is no indication in the document that he sought or received any coordination from the campaign officials or the campaign in general.
Officials identified in the document include Steve Bannon, now chief strategist for President Donald Trump; Kellyanne Conway, former campaign manager and now White House counselor; Sam Clovis, a policy adviser to the Trump campaign and now a senior adviser at the Agriculture Department; and retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn, who was a campaign adviser and briefly was national security adviser in the Trump administration.
Mr. Bannon said he never met with Mr. Smith or anyone affiliated with a limited-liability company, KLS Research LLC, that the document said had been established for its mission. “Never heard of KLS Research or Peter Smith,” Mr. Bannon said.

Ms. Conway said she knew Mr. Smith from Republican politics but hadn’t spoken to him in years. “I never met with him” during the campaign, Ms. Conway said. “There were no calls, no meetings, no nothing.”

The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. Neither did the Agriculture Department, Mr. Clovis’s employer.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/gop-ac...ils-cited-trump-campaign-officials-1498872923

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
They better hope those denials aren't easy to disprove.

Linkura

giphy.gif

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Well, he said he wasn't gonna do tick tick tick, but I thought that meant he wasn't gonna foreshadow anymore. Thinking about it, there's absolutely no point to him foreshadowing stories.

Maybe he knows more is dropping tonight, so it's not really foreshadowing. >:)

Media

Mr. Bannon said he never met with Mr. Smith or anyone affiliated with a limited-liability company, KLS Research LLC, that the document said had been established for its mission. “Never heard of KLS Research or Peter Smith,” Mr. Bannon said.

Ms. Conway said she knew Mr. Smith from Republican politics but hadn’t spoken to him in years. “I never met with him” during the campaign, Ms. Conway said. “There were no calls, no meetings, no nothing.”

The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. Neither did the Agriculture Department, Mr. Clovis’s employer.

Idon'tknowher.gif

They are all just going to deny since Smith has died since then, correct?

Benjamin Wittes @benjaminwittes

Please stand by, people: @lawfareblog will be publishing an important piece tonight by @pwnallthethings you will not want to miss.

edit: @pwnallthethings is a "serious guy, a former GCHQ hacker" according to wittes
edit2: he is the matt tait cited as a source by WSJ

Random Human

Benjamin Wittes @benjaminwittes

Please stand by, people: @lawfareblog will be publishing an important piece tonight by @pwnallthethings you will not want to miss.

Wow, I was actually right.

I need to use this power and rush to the gaming side and make L4D3 happen.

sphagnum

Banned
Could this be related to that other oppodroppo that claimed Trump was going to purge a bunch of people on treason charges?

Could this be related to that other oppodroppo that claimed Trump was going to purge a bunch of people on treason charges?

That information came from the National Enquirer, which tends to... we'll say distort and exaggerate. Mass firings could happen, but treason charges would be ridiculous.

sphagnum

Banned
That information came from the National Enquirer, which tends to... we'll say distort and exaggerate. Mass firings could happen, but treason charges would be ridiculous.

Trump and NE go hand in hand though, so I figured he had mentioned it to his buddy who runs the rag.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

It's not outside the realm of possibilities that Trump, seeing the Feds pulling up to his house, decides to try to blame everyone but himself.

But yeah, It's the National Enquirer.

btrboyev

So when do we expect it? It's already past 10pm est. if it's a big breaking story it's too late for big cable networks to latch onto, especially considering most of the top anchors are on holiday.

Brakke

Banned
The OP should probably acknowledge that Smith is dead.

Mr. Smith died in mid-May at age 81, about 10 days after he spoke to the Journal. He said he operated independently of the Trump campaign.

Hard to know what to make of this. The connection is tenuous and the dude you'd ask to clarify things is dead.

It's not outside the realm of possibilities that Trump, seeing the Feds pulling up to his house, decides to try to blame everyone but himself.

But yeah, It's the National Enquirer.

Then they'd all start singing like canaries. That move would be his dumbest yet.

Even Jefferson Beauregard Confederacy III ain't tryin' to catch treason charges.

Top Bottom