• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Operative Sought Clinton Emails From Hackers, Implied a Connection to Flynn

No, don't blame the GoP. Blame the idiots here who doesn't understand how an investigation works and want instant gratification.

Why the fuck would anyone born after Nixon left office know how this works?

Because they spent 90 minutes studying it in a public school 15 years ago?

eubWvto.png

Will never get old

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It sounds like it might have been a family affair for Flynn and if they go after his son or others that might be involved that could be the wedge they use to get him to spill the fucking beans. Or at least that's my random thought after reading this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Look at how the tone of the GOP media shifted in the past week. Direct result of this story. They knew WSJ had it.

IrishNinja

Just like every other "megaton" that's come up so far.

Absolute snoozeville until Trump is behind bars.

do you just watch season finales too or what

Unfortunately I don't think he'll ever set foot in prison. I'll settle for the Trump brand to be worthless and his empire destroyed though.

same, also his "legacy" as a president has to be heralded as such a low bar that his name only invokes failure & shame

GAF

Give it up

liberal defeatism is never out of season these days

Watch any film dealing with federal investigations and you'd have a fairly good idea.

Or The Wire. Investigations can take a long time, especially complicated ones like this. I'm talking months and years. They're not solved quickly like in weekly police procedurals. This isn't Law and Order.

This seems pretty weak...

So a guy trying to buy Hillary's emails from maybe russians sort of implied he knew Flynn?

Going to need some more.

Implied? More like said he was in contact with both Flynn and his son because they were connected to the Russian government. The Russian government they thought to have these emails. Sounds pretty simple to me.

You also didn't read the article. Smith claimed they were not offering money for the emails. Just wanted to get them out there through an intermediary like say... WikiLeaks.

Beartruck

In Comey's testimony, didn't he allude to the way in which people can sort of accidentally get sucked into a treasonesque path by just starting out doing something dumb and immoral? I forget his exact wording...but it seemed to me at the time like he was choosing his words carefully to imply that someone can start by trying to get an edge, and wind up in a much darker place.
I fully believe these guys crossed the line from underhanded to treasonous without even realizing it. They're just stupid enough for it to be plausible.

Also it's more than possible (I'd say pretty likely) that the IC has much more damning intel that they're unwilling to leak for a variety of reasons - not wanting to impede the investigation, burn sources, get in legal trouble, etc. The media isn't going to impeach or convict Trump and his cronies - that's all on Mueller and Congress.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Watch any film dealing with federal investigations and you'd have a fairly good idea.

It's also just common sense that this sort of massive, far-reaching investigation into the most powerful people in the country, across multiple countries, takes a long time.

androvsky

Those investigators have examined reports from intelligence agencies that describe Russian hackers discussing how to obtain emails from Mrs. Clinton’s server and then transmit them to Mr. Flynn via an intermediary, according to U.S. officials with knowledge of the intelligence.
That's pretty big since it ties the hacking to a Trump flunky, but to be really big they need to connect the Russian hackers to the Russian government somehow.
In the interview with the Journal, Mr. Smith said he and his colleagues found five groups of hackers who claimed to possess Mrs. Clinton’s deleted emails, including two groups he determined were Russians.

“We knew the people who had these were probably around the Russian government,” Mr. Smith said.
Oh my.

Now keep in mind, these are Clinton's deleted emails, ones that have never been published. The people in this article looking for them were never sure they were genuine, so they told the hackers to just send them to Wikileaks, which never published or claimed to have them. But these are also the emails Trump publicly asked Russian hackers to find during the campaign.

So as weak as chunks of this article are (weak in an honest, "that's all we could get" kind of way), there's a solid Trump -> Flynn -> oppo firm <- Russian Hacker <- Russian government line here. Every connection is accounted for, even if a couple of them is based on the word of Mr. Smith. Even though it never bore fruit, Trump asks Russian hackers publicly for help, Russian hackers apparently "around" the Russian government do thing Trump asks for, also send "results" to oppo firm and Flynn.

Also it's more than possible (I'd say pretty likely) that the IC has much more damning intel that they're unwilling to leak for a variety of reasons - not wanting to impede the investigation, burn sources, get in legal trouble, etc. The media isn't going to impeach or convict Trump and his cronies - that's all on Mueller and Congress.

Oh yeah it's almost assured that this is the case. Little drops here and there to keep the fire under the lot burning.

Thats better! Still, its one side talking. And once the email server was discovered or whatever, FIA requests would give anyone the emails??? I'm not seeing the actual need to reach out to hackers to get something that is public record?

I think the idea was 'HILLARYS EMAILS WERE HACKED' was more what they were going for, more than 'SEE HILLARY'S BORING EMAILS!'

Thats better! Still, its one side talking. And once the email server was discovered or whatever, FIA requests would give anyone the emails??? I'm not seeing the actual need to reach out to hackers to get something that is public record?
Uh no. This is about the infamous "33,000 deleted emails" off Clinton's server. They're not public record and the government doesn't have copies of them.

That's pretty big since it ties the hacking to a Trump flunky, but to be really big they need to connect the Russian hackers to the Russian government somehow.

Oh my.

Now keep in mind, these are Clinton's deleted emails, ones that have never been published. The people in this article looking for them were never sure they were genuine, so they told the hackers to just send them to Wikileaks, which never published or claimed to have them. But these are also the emails Trump publicly asked Russian hackers to find during the campaign.

So as weak as chunks of this article are (weak in an honest, "that's all we could get" kind of way), there's a solid Trump -> Flynn -> oppo firm <- Russian Hacker <- Russian government line here. Every connection is accounted for, even if a couple of them is based on the word of Mr. Smith. Even though it never bore fruit, Trump asks Russian hackers publicly for help, Russian hackers apparently "around" the Russian government do thing Trump asks for, also send "results" to oppo firm and Flynn.

The other part of this is that something did come out of this, even if not Hillary herself. John Podesta's emails and the DNC emails. Need to look over the dates again but this could tie up why those tow were targets.

Flo_Evans

Uh no. This is about the infamous "33,000 deleted emails" off Clinton's server. They're not public record and the government doesn't have copies of them.

I thought the FBI was able to recover most of them and determine they were actually personal and not Benghazi murder conspiracy notes?

I expected a bit more concrete evidence here besides it being a one-sided affair.

Not to say that the hard evidence isn't already in Mueller's hands, I'm just slightly underwhelmed.

Now i wonder how many in he GOP knew this as well &#129300;

And if anyone else is involved &#129300;

&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;&#129300;

This may be even bigger than what we were expecting. If it's Trump surrogates AND Party officials colluding with Russia, it's a bigger blow than if it was just Team Trump.

Mahonay

Banned
So we're getting our first look of actual hard evidence that Trump's campaign was aided by Russia. Nice.

And this is just from a public news story. I can only imagine what kind of mountain of evidence Mueller and his team are sitting on as they build their case.

I thought the FBI was able to recover most of them and determine they were actually personal and not Benghazi murder conspiracy notes?

You're probably thinking of the emails found on Uma Abedin/John Weiner's laptop. It turns out almost all of those emails, or almost all of them, were duplicates of emails the FBI were already in possession of.

Emails that didn't exist or where nothing but that the GOP themselves hyped up as a giant conspiracy to get votes. They played themselves. Moron.

They recovered some I think, yeah. I mean there wasn't anything particularly noteworthy in the DNC or Podesta emails either but people went apeshit over those. They'd love hillary's emails and proof that her server was insecure and hacked.

Have some patience, this ain't a game or a Netflix show to binge watch, it takes time.

Right? this is not a game. You are not going to get instant gratification this is a investigation.

This is not exciting it's disturbing. Once again we got GOP related people's trying to screw over the DNC and america.

I just want the FBI investigation to be finished already so the full truth can be known. It's such a dreadful feeling not knowing how much longer it'll be when it could easily be years.

Steel

Banned
I just want the FBI investigation to be finished already so the full truth can be known. It's such a dreadful feeling not knowing how much longer it'll be when it could easily be years.

What's particularly annoying are the people, Trump included, going "Well, it's been 6 months and nothing happened, so there must be nothing there!"

You guys would had hated Watergate. This is coming out faster then you could believe, it took many, many months and some slip ups by WP, until that lead up to codenamed:deepthroat and became a case with some steam and then a smoking gun.

Top Bottom