• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Operative Sought Clinton Emails From Hackers, Implied a Connection to Flynn

8Hnytsf.png

WaPo said:
In conversations with members of his circle and with others he tried to recruit to help him, the GOP operative, Peter W. Smith, implied he was working with retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn, at the time a senior adviser to then-candidate Donald Trump.

1EaZrQR.jpg

Your dealing with a group who literally doesn't care that the world is dying from human action. They don't care that the President is a huge asshole to allies and his own countrymen. He has shown to be incredibly incompetent. They don't even care if healthcare disappears. I'm not talking about the average American but the actual people who can impeach him.

Let it sink in for a bit of what needs to occur for them to actually care.

First, I'm going to state that I don't think the chances of impeachment are great for the reasons you have described. But after 2016 I'm not ready to say any unfathomable political outcome is ever completely off the table.

If there's a chance impeachment happens, it won't be due to the GOP collectively growing a spine or a conscience. They won't do it because it's the right thing to do. I could only envision it happening if the investigation begins producing evidence that actually starts turning about just enough public opinion against the GOP that they feel congressional control is in serious jeopardy. It's true that the GOP places loyalty to party above all, which includes the president himself. There's not a whole lot of longstanding personal loyalty among the GOP towards Trump. And even above loyalty to the party perhaps stands individual congresspeople's desire to retain their own seats. Fear in substantial amounts is about the only thing I could imagine getting the GOP to take action. And even that's a long shot.

But I'm not going to take absolute opinions of any outcome on this investigation. Especially not at this moment in time.

Squire

Banned
You're gonna get dog-piled for not being eternally optimistic.

He's gonna get dogpiled for a dumb post. This investigation and the reporting being done on it and everything tied to it, potentially or otherwise, are moving at a rapid clip relative to Watergate.

"It's been six months"

Yeah, no shit. Thats the incredible part.

You know what's fucked up? So we're learning about this now, but who knows when the individual committees knew about this shit? The House? The Senate? When the GOP was cowardly asking about bullshit like unmasking and Hillary's emails, did they know this shit?

If they did, then they're compromised. No question.

Well, yes and no. It's up to Congress to determine whether Trump is guilty of collusion, obstruction, or anything else. No matter what the conclusion of the investigation is.

Ok, then I guess the follow up question would be what's stopping congress from ignoring the results of the investigation ?

RICO Charges?

I am not sure how RICO applies (maybe it does/doesn't), but what I think we will see is a handful of Republican operatives (Stone, Manafort, Flynn, Page, and some others) and their people charged with crimes related to campaign finance and disclosure laws, possible money laundering and federal corruption charges., and possibly other cyber related crimes. At this point, I really think Trump is just the useful idiot (because of his existing financial ties to Russian business), and it was the machine around him that did the dirt.

Zolo

I am not sure how RICO applies (maybe it does/doesn't), but what I think we will see is a handful of Republican operatives (Stone, Manafort, Flynn, Page, and some others) and their people charged with crimes related to campaign finance and disclosure laws, possible money laundering and federal corruption charges., and possibly other cyber related crimes. At this point, I really think Trump is just the useful idiot (because of his existing financial ties to Russian business), and it was the machine around him that did the dirt.

Trump may not have been involved in the details, but he knew what was going on.

I've thought useful idiot myself a couple times too. The sanctions and loan stuff keeps me from fully committing though.

How aweful is the useful idiot defense anyway? "Everyone I surrounded myself with in the admin was in on it but me!" Isn't reassuring even if true

This is also what I want to know. I know that most Republicans in Congress (but seems more prevalent in the House) are willing to tolerate Trump in order to push through long sought after policies, but their anemic response to what is going on with Russia makes me wonder if the Russians also hacked RNC members for leverage. Nothing about what is going on now is within normal operating parameters. If this is the political mindset of Republicans in Congress without being compromised, then we have a long troubled road ahead of us.

Trump may not have been involved in the details, but he knew what was going on.

Yeah....I don't think he knows what is going on at all with much of anything. I think he knows how to play to peoples base sentiments, but his ego and narcissism probably prevent him from seeing all the "help" he got.

Hastati

You know what's fucked up? So we're learning about this now, but who knows when the individual committees knew about this shit? The House? The Senate? When the GOP was cowardly asking about bullshit like unmasking and Hillary's emails, did they know this shit?

Yikes. That makes the testimonies before the senate over the past few months even more cringeworthy when you put it that way. Really crossing my fingers thay this is a really wide ranging investigation so we can nab some of these ass weasels beyond just the admin.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Still all about his sexist comments on CNN. Cooper really looks like he had enough.

This might have been a bigger story if dropped on another day. Today's tweet was definitely an "over the line" moment, which he has of course had many of, I recognize. But that was always going to be the top story as other Republicans HAVE to disavow it.

So this was the boom?

What does that mean? Anything trump can be indicted on?

Yeah, this was most certainly the boom as it confirms collusion.

Every single one of Trump's contacts had a relationship with the Russians, there is no FUCKING WAY he didn't know at this point (or hell, orchestrate the whole thing thinking he'd get off scott free)

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Yeah, this was most certainly the boom as it confirms collusion.

Every single one of Trump's contacts had a relationship with the Russians, there is no FUCKING WAY he didn't know at this point (or hell, orchestrate the whole thing thinking he'd get off scott free)

I imagine he knew but thought "im the president, I can get two scoops and pardon all of this so it's not a problem"

at this point if he didnt know what was going on he needs to be thrown out of office for sheer ignorance and incompetence.

either result is not a good look for him at all.

He's gonna get dogpiled for a dumb post. This investigation and the reporting being done on it and everything tied to it, potentially or otherwise, are moving at a rapid clip relative to Watergate.

"It's been six months"

Yeah, no shit. Thats the incredible part.

People are too damn inpatient, this shit is going fast, but because it's not instant people are whining about it.
People should really do themselves a favor and read up on how long these things actually take.

LifEndz

To be a fly on the wall in Mueller's office and know what he knows. "Oh, the press just reported that? Ha! Wait till they find out about this shit right here!"

at this point if he didnt know what was going on he needs to be thrown out of office for sheer ignorance and incompetence.

either result is not a good look for him at all.

I really don't think he knows what is going on with anything. This WaPo article talks about how he seems to not know anything about the health care bill (and many other things) or what is going on with it.

I honestly think the impression of Trump from that article is how it is with everything, including potential collusion with Russia. I really don't think he understands what is going on around him.

People are too damn inpatient, this shit is going fast, but because it's not instant people are whining about it.
People should really do themselves a favor and read up on how long these things actually take.

It's annoying really. All of the out of hand dismissiveness, to the reaility of investigations. Its best to let people stew in the information and not overload the sphere of the masses. No one should doubt that the WaPos and NYT of the world aren't already sitting on some big scoops.

This could go VERY deep.

It's annoying really. All out of hand dismissiveness, to the reaility of investigations. Its best to let people stew in the information and not overload the sphere of the masses. No one should doubt that the WaPos and NYT of the world aren't already sitting on some big scoops.

I mean....bigger than Trump's scoops? I'd like to see that.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

People are impatient because Trumps entire life has been him skirting any personal responsibility.

Top Bottom