• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Operative Sought Clinton Emails From Hackers, Implied a Connection to Flynn

I just want the FBI investigation to be finished already so the full truth can be known. It's such a dreadful feeling not knowing how much longer it'll be when it could easily be years.

It has to be an iron clad case if you want it to have any real effect. I'm sure many would agree that the idea of a GOP congress, especially this current GOP congress, impeaching a president from their own party is rather low on the likelihood scale. Imagine how unlikely that prospect would be if the FBI and Mueller tried to race through their investigation and recommend charges based on underdeveloped, incomplete evidence? Their findings and recommendation would be summarily dismissed without so much as a debate. And if the FBI and Mueller did try to race through an investigation that gets dismissed by congress with ease, it's unlikely another one will start for the remainder of Trump's presidency or the GOP control of congress. If anything, it'll embolden their claims that they're under unfair attack.

I too want Trump out of office yesterday, but this investigation needs to be absolutely thorough, so that when the findings and recommendations are made the evidence is nearly undeniable. And if the evidence is undeniable, that's the more stringently it can be held to the GOP if they refuse to impeach.

Clefargle

Look at how the tone of the GOP media shifted in the past week. Direct result of this story. They knew WSJ had it.

I haven't been paying much attention, any example you could reference of GOP/FOX tone shifting over the last week? I'd love to see that, it'd be interesting

It has to be an iron clad case if you want it to have any real effect. I'm sure many would agree that the idea of a GOP congress, especially this current GOP congress, impeaching a president from their own party is rather low on the likelihood scale. Imagine how unlikely that prospect would be if the FBI and Mueller tried to race through their investigation and recommend charges based on underdeveloped, incomplete evidence? Their findings and recommendation would be summarily dismissed without so much as a debate. And if the FBI and Mueller did try to race through an investigation that gets dismissed by congress with ease, it's unlikely another one will start for the remainder of Trump's presidency or the GOP control of congress. If anything, it'll embolden their claims that they're under unfair attack.

I too want Trump out of office yesterday, but this investigation needs to be absolutely thorough, so that when the findings and recommendations are made the evidence is nearly undeniable. And if the evidence is undeniable, that's the more stringently it can be held to the GOP if they refuse to impeach.

This post has iron clad logic and reasoning.

It has to be an iron clad case if you want it to have any real effect. I'm sure most would agree that the idea of a GOP congress, especially this current GOP congress, impeaching a president from their own party is rather low on the likelihood scale. Imagine how unlikely that prospect would be if the FBI and Mueller tried to race through their investigation and recommend charges based on underdeveloped, incomplete evidence? Their findings and recommendation would be summarily dismissed without so much as a debate. And if the FBI and Mueller did try to race through an investigation that gets dismissed by congress with ease, it's unlikely another one will start for the remainder of Trump's presidency or the GOP control of congress. If anything, it'll embolden their claims that they're under unfair attack.

Also, people should remember to VOTE IN THE MIDTERMS. If even one chamber of Congress flips, Trump's agenda will be effectively halted and stymied, making his last two years at least bearable. (Also, Speaker Pelosi will impeach long before Speaker Ryan.)

Give the investigation time, but let's also plan for events over which we have some control.

GRU operatives!

I'm a big fan of The Americans and all things cold war history, but things have come to the point that one wonders how many in the GOP aren't just helping the Russians, but secretly, officially have been working for them 'KGB illegals' style, all along.

rfield84

Banned
I haven't been paying much attention, any example you could reference of GOP/FOX tone shifting over the last week? I'd love to see that, it'd be interesting

Here ya go. USA article discussing a *cough* interesting *cough* talking point raised by Fox News Sunday host Brit Hume saying that collusion " inappropriate.” but, “it’s not a crime.” This talking point was made over last weekend, I think. Other conservatives have been taking this tone as well. Other examples are noted as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...undits-colluding-russia-isnt-crime/103204036/

Zophar

Trump planned to cheat from the start. Dude is not the kind of person to allow himself ever to lose, especially not in a high profile race for the most powerful position on Earth. Bookmark this post.

they've been building up to this angle for the past month or so

https://www.mediamatters.org/resear...no-big-deal-if-trump-colluded-russians/217034

http://www.businessinsider.com/collusion-russia-trump-crime-2017-6

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...undits-colluding-russia-isnt-crime/103204036/

the first instance of this argument they reference was on May 10 from Geraldo which is coincidentally (or not...) like a week after the WSJ interviewed the source for this article.

Also, people should remember to VOTE IN THE MIDTERMS. If even one chamber of Congress flips, Trump's agenda will be effectively halted and stymied, making his last two years at least bearable. (Also, Speaker Pelosi will impeach long before Speaker Ryan.)

Give the investigation time, but let's also plan for events over which we have some control.

People tend to imagine the investigation is finished and buried if it falls out of the news cycle for even a moment. If there isn't a "boom" every evening at 6:00 PM, people think it's over and "they've gotten away with it".

The past week attention has been mostly dominated by debate over the GOP healthcare bill, as it should be, because that's an immediate, urgent issue people have a bit more voice over regarding their senator than a long-term FBI investigation.

Why is this not on CNN yet? Big deal. This is proof of collusion.

They're waiting to independently verify the story, I would imagine.

Clefargle

I mean to be fair they REALLY fucking hate the clintons.

Oh I get that but here is the scary part the GOP was running a bullshit narrative regurgitated by their media mouth pieces about an email conspiracy that they knew was total bullshit and were doing it to damage Clinton,I in comes the Trump team who I thought where running along with the gag about these emails but it turns out THEY ACTUALLY BELEIVE the conspiracy. It's like the GOP never clued them in in the inside joke and they commited crimes to dig up something that never even existed. Holy shit these people are scary dumb.

Lowmelody

lmao so this is specifically what trump was telling us about when he said that hopefully Russia finds her missing emails at that rally.

Oh I get that but here is the scary part the GOP was running a bullshit narrative regurgitated by their media mouth pieces about an email conspiracy that they knew was total bullshit and were doing it to damage Clinton,I in comes the Trump team who I thought where running along with the gag about these emails but it turns out THEY ACTUALLY BELEIVE the conspiracy. It's like the GOP never clued them in in the inside joke and they commited crimes to dig up something that never even existed. Holy shit these people are scary dumb.

Pretty sure the GoP as a whole believes their own lies at this point. Probably have for decades now.

Pretty sure the GoP as a whole believes their own lies at this point. Probably have for decades now.

The top leadership don't though they emmediately squash their stupid investigations as soon and they get back in power and start their bs again come election time. They know they are full of it but it pays off. Trump and co. though really have bought into it all.

btrboyev

So how long till arrests happen? Where is Flynn now? I imagine he is under 24/7 surveillance by the FBI. But surely arrests should start happening soon?

ICO_SotC

they've been building up to this angle for the past month or so

https://www.mediamatters.org/resear...no-big-deal-if-trump-colluded-russians/217034

http://www.businessinsider.com/collusion-russia-trump-crime-2017-6

the first instance of this argument they reference was on May 10 from Geraldo which is coincidentally (or not...) like a week after the WSJ interviewed the source for this article.

Influential conservative opinion writer David Brooks also just wrote a ridiculous op-ed that basically said it wasn't collusion, it just patriotic Americans who were trying to improve relations with Russia.

Actual quote:
There were some meetings between Trump officials and some Russians, but so far no more than you'd expect from a campaign that was publicly and proudly pro-Putin.

He also serves up some "Even Lincoln could be charged with obstruction under these laws!"

There definitely has been a sudden and noticeable shift from "No collusion", to "It depends how you define collusion." in the right wing media.

Top Bottom