• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got a New 3DS XL today, would prefer New Circle Pad Pro to C-stick

Occam

Is there going to be a Circle Pad Pro for New 3DS? Would anyone else prefer that to the new C-stick? I think it's unfortunate they didn't just go for a regular circle pad on the right side, which could have fit if the face buttons had been moved downwards a bit.

3ds-xl-NEW-SMALL1.jpg

Post your opinions/impressions.

Cheebo

Banned
Is there going to be a Circle Pad Pro for New 3DS? Would anyone else prefer that to the new C-stick? I think it's unfortunate they didn't just go for a regular circle pad on the right side, which could have fit if the face buttons had been moved downwards a bit.

The c-stick is the replacement for the second circle pad, it acts as it in all games. They wont add another "third stick" via attachment, no chance.

I'm still mid-data transfer so haven't gotten to test out the functionality, but my first impression was that the nub was significantly bigger than I had expected.

Oregano

It probably wouldn't have fit internally. Someone would have to open it up but I imagine the N3DS internals are pretty packed, hence Micro SD and everything being shuffled around.

As for my impressions: The C stick is harder to use than a slide pad but is also more comfortable. I don't have to shift my grasp to use it.

Occam

But you didn't even post yours, a little more info would be useful for an OP.

I thought it was obvious, I prefer how the circle pad feels. In my opinion placement and size of the C-stick isn't very ergonomic, and moving it isn't as comfortable as a circle pad.

ArmageddB

If they didn't do it in this iteration, it's probably not going to happen.

Can't comment yet, picking it up this evening.

Occam

Is the current circle pad pro not compatible? Guess I'm not buying a new 3DS, then.

New 3DS XL is slightly wider, so it doesn't fit. Additionally, its IR sensor is not in exactly the same place, it's slightly closer to the middle.

Dizzy

Banned
I played MH for quite a while earlier. The nub works quite well but my thumb felt a little sore from it. I would prefer s circle pad if given the choice, but the nub is manageable.

sörine

Banned
It probably wouldn't have fit internally. Someone would have to open it up but I imagine the N3DS internals are pretty packed, hence Micro SD and everything being shuffled around.

As for my impressions: The C stick is harder to use than a slide pad but is also more comfortable. I don't have to shift my grasp to use it.
There's probably space on the XL. Maybe they should've done a second circle pad on that to help differentiate models?

I've actually found myself really liking the C Stick, aside from the fact that Im still applying too much force. As it loosens up and I get more accustomed to it, I'm sure Ill love it even more. Its more of a camera adjustment to me, so fine aiming isn't particularly important.

I do however recognize that a new CPP would give people a lot of options for ergonomics.

Oregano

sörine;151988609 said:
There's probably space on the XL. Maybe they should've done a second circle pad on that to help differentiate models?

That's a good point actually. I didn't consider the XL, they could have kept normal SD cards for the XL as well.

Cheebo

Banned
That's a good point actually. I didn't consider the XL, they could have kept normal SD cards for the XL as well.

Well that would be a downgrade, microsd has pretty much replaced SD in all electronics outside of cameras. MicroSD is more the standard format now between the two.

Works fine for camera control in zelda. Don't know how it would work for aiming like in Resident Evil.

For what it's worth I've had both CCPs for the regular and the XL and while the shoulder buttons are sublime on those things, it is super awkward reaching from the right stick to the buttons.

Well that would be a downgrade, microsd has pretty much replaced SD in all electronics outside of cameras. MicroSD is more the standard format now between the two.

Yeah but they probably should of kept regular SD cards more for compatibility sake. I think it would of made a little more sense if they held off on micro till their next completely new handheld

Oregano

I would say that's because of space but either way it means the components for a Micro SD slot will probably be cheaper.

Corpekata

Banned
There any hope for like a third party attachment maybe sort of like how controllers will have those extendable nubs and whatnot? Going to take some getting used to for sure.

Ivan 3414

I read somewhere that the C-stick is hard to use for Kid Icarus? Something about flicking the C-stick is difficult. I haven't played Kid Icarus so I can't say either way.

LordOfChaos

3ds-xl-NEW-SMALL1.jpg

I do like the look of that. Or even a smaller slider pad would be fine if need be. People defending the C-nipple seem to only be going with "it's ok", which is the problem, it would be so much more versatile as a proper slider rather than trackpoint nipple.

andymcc

Banned
I like it way more than the old way. Made the system way too bulky. C-stick takes some learning with using more gentle movement.

They didn't even need to make an entire circle pad on the right side, they could have just made the c stick slightly larger than what it is. I really don't understand why nintendo decided to make the c stick as tiny as a pencil eraser. They could have made it the size of a psp analog nub and it would have been 100 times better.

Moving the face buttons down would be a loss from an ergonomic perspective. It's already a pain (literally) to use the D-Pad on the 3DS since it's so close to the edge of the system. For games that use d-pad plus face buttons, the layout of the picture in the OP would suck.

My new 3DS is still in the mail. I expect that the C-stick will work fine for camera control, but poorly for shooters. Will be trying out the stylus controls for IronFall, I'm hoping that will work okay and not be a hand killer like Kid Icarus Uprising.

MrxDemix

Banned
I believe the lack of a full, dedicated second stick has to do with fitting all the electronics within the shell. Sadly, the C-Stick is kind of a cheap solution. But at least now there's a dedicated camera stick.

shiyrley

Banned
If anything, it should be like this
COTlIbI.jpg

I'm currently doing fine with the c-stick though. For camera movement at least. For aiming, not sure, haven't tried yet.

Squishy3

The C-stick definitely requires some breaking in and getting used to. I think if it was a little bit more sensitive and didn't require as much effort as it does to activate the switches, it would be perfect. What you actually think would be required to move it is too little, but what is actually required to move it is just a tad too much.

bart64

Banned
Seems the reason they did it this way was for a more comfortable and sturdy grip. Imaging playing a game that didn't use analog sticks on that thing! You would be supporting the whole weight with just your index fingers...

Edit: the other two designs fix this, great minds...

Kacho

The c-stick is the bomb. I hate the slider nub. It always feels like its slipping off of my thumb.

LordOfChaos

Seems the reason they did it this way was for a more comfortable and sturdy grip. Imaging playing a game that didn't use analog sticks on that thing! You would be supporting the whole weight with just your index fingers...

Hmm? And your pinky, ring, middle finger, and palm? Or am I doing this very wrong?

Cuburt

Feels accurate enough to me, but will probably take a little time to get used to. Personally, I think it felt a little more accurate than the CPP while playing Codename STEAM, due to there not feeling like it has much of a deadzone, even if I haven't gotten hang of it enough to feel confident in a action heavy FPS type game. Could see that maybe smaller more precise movements being easier to pick up that quick turns or movements like that, but I'd need more time to say for sure.

People complained about how inferior the circle pad was to analog sticks when they first came out too. In fact, any new input ever has people calling it terrible, rather than objectively taking the time to understand their pros and cons. I think some people just hate getting used to new inputs and/or would rather blame something else rather than have to deal with the potential of their own inadequacies, but that's for another thread.

bart64

Banned
Hmm? And your pinky, ring, middle finger, and palm? Or am I doing this very wrong?

Yoiu're right, I was thinking of the traditional grip without shoulder pads. It would be weird to hold this way if you didn't need to use shoulder buttons though. Also may be a strench for kids--I think that's why a lot of games don't use both shoulder buttons at once. Now I'm not sure why they didn't go the other way, I don't think it's a space issue.

Cuburt

3ds-xl-NEW-SMALL1.jpg

I do like the look of that. Or even a smaller slider pad would be fine if need be. People defending the C-nipple seem to only be going with "it's ok", which is the problem, it would be so much more versatile as a proper slider rather than trackpoint nipple.

The nub isn't perfect but it seems to be a compromise to maintain grip without forcing people to shift how they are holding the system too much. If anyone has had to rapidly shift from the D-pad to the circle pad, you know that it can feel a little cramped depending how you are holding the system, which is why games seem to rarely if ever force to you use both equally. On the other hand, camera control for many games would require more use of both the c-stick and the buttons for other actions and if you couldn't just slightly move your thumb laterally like how it's positioned now on the New 3DS, you'd have to move it quite a distance up and down.

People saying this is a better solution must forget how unergonomic the system and many handhelds are in general.

If they put a circle pad there, using the face buttons would be a pain in the ass like the d-pad.

Truth.

The current layout places the buttons under the most natural position for your thumbs. If anything, it should be asymmetrical with the circle pad being lower on the right side since it won't be used as frequently or in all games like the buttons are.

Top Bottom