• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got a New 3DS XL today, would prefer New Circle Pad Pro to C-stick

If they didn't do it in this iteration, it's probably not going to happen.

Can't comment yet, picking it up this evening.

I'm guessing there's a reason why they didn't do a proper second circle pad (in the OP's post, it seems like the machine should be longer at the bottom as it looks like the buttons are too low; that, or PS-pad-style wings) for the n3DS.

I'd be a tiny bit surprised if they don't do two proper pads/sticks on the next new console though. And the only reason I would be not be surprised is because it's Nintendo, and they march to the beat of their own drum.

I tried the new 3DS and didn't like the c-stick because of the give. Personally I much prefer my circle pad pro. I don't think it's go to be good for reticule aiming aiming like Irnfall.

Also the extra shoulder buttons on the New 3DS are like the original classic controller. Feel I could accidentally push the L/R when going for ZL/ZR.

GamerJM

Banned
I haven't gotten to use it yet since I'm doing system transfer but I'm a bit worried reading some of the more positive impressions. Mainly because I don't see how the C-stick could be very good, maybe it will be in practice but mine hardly moves at all, it's extremely stiff.

mozfan12

Banned
I really dig the c stick, and it's not like most of the games on the 3ds need a full blown second analog stick. I actually really dislike the new position of the stylus. It's such a bizarre change as well.

Rootbeer

Banned
I need to get used to the C-stick on my N3DSXL but i don't necessarily agree that a second circle pad would be a significant upgrade from it.

The pad on the right is used for camera movement in almost every game that would use such an input. And for what it is, the c-stick accomplishes moving the camera very well in the games i've tested so far.

I think it's a well-done compromise.

Vita sticks are still better FWIW

Magwik

Banned
People seem to forget that while it's fairly easy to just photoshop another nub on the system there's a lot more design, aesthetics, cost, etc that actually go into building the best and most cost efficient one possible. Those mock ups look straight up terrifying to hold.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I much, much prefer the CPP with my old XL while playing MH4. The N3DSXL doesn't feel like a great purchase so far.

C-Stick seems fine to me. Then again, I liked the C-Stick a lot on the GameCube.

They aren't even the same thing, like both uses completely different tech.

Hell calling the c-"stick" the nub on the New 3DS is a stretch.

I played that shooter that got released yesterday with the new C-Stick. That was a terrible experience :S

It really only works for camera, for aiming is less than ideal.

nampad

I agree. Nintendo took all this time to finally add a second stick for analog controls and they still can't seem to do it right, smh.

Matriox

Just out of curiosity, couldn't you just get a circle pad accessory-ish think that fits on the C-stick? I haven't gotten one yet, just wondering.

FaintDeftone

The C stick is fine for camera control but I honestly couldn't see myself using it for a first or third person shooter. Aiming with it would suck.

The Boat

It took a while for me to get used to using it in Ironfall, but it works perfectly fine. It's not as good as another circle pad, but they'd have to make the 3DS bigger for it to fit inside. That and they need to leave stuff for the next handheld to diferenciate it.

Tevious

The only thing I don't like about the C-stick is that its above the face buttons. In Majora's Mask, I kept accidentally pressing X instead of A afterward and wasting an item.

Ok, I wanted to wait until I had, had some significant playing time with my new system and the C stick before commenting. after playing roughly a combined 4 hours of MonHun4 and Majora's Mask, not to mention a bit of Smash Bros, I can honestly say that I have no earthly clue what you are complaining about, OP.

The C stick is super responsive, very comfortable, and requires very little pressure to achieve the actions that I desire of it. This little thing is perfect. How anybody could want another one of the loose circle pads instead is completely beyond me.

Jindrael

Banned
The C-stick is by no means a perfect solution in my opinion.
BUT it does the job and for me isn't really worse than the cpp.

What I would like for a new Nintendo Handheld are some real sticks though.

tuffy

I was expecting the C-stick to be like the trackpoint on a ThinkPad laptop, and that's exactly what it is. It works fine for camera control, but might've been a little better if it had a textured nub for better grip.

I bought the new 3ds for Mh4u and I would also prefer a true 2nd analog stick. I still find myself doing the claw to reach dpad. For some reason it feels un natural to reach up and press the c nub. Also, I feel the new 3ds feels kind of slippery.I don't know why, but it feels uncomfortable laying down and playing. I am sure I'll get used to it though. Overall I don't regret the purchase though.

njean777

They should have just made the sticks like the vita sticks, I tried the new 3ds and the c-stick is serviceable, but will never be as good as the vita sticks.

LayLa

I was initially sceptical but after a few hours of using it with MH4 it won me over, great solution for camera control.

Oregano

Seriously? I thought it was impossibly imprecise to use for FPS compared to the stylus.

It works fine for camera control, but nowhere near usable for targeting.

I initially thought the same whilst playing Ironfall but I've just played it for over an hour and I actually think I've got the hang of it. It's not quite as precise an analog stick but it's good enough for aiming(at least in that game).

Unicorn

As someone who adapted to the claw on PSP, I don't see the want/need for such a large second joystick - at least in MH's context. Maybe I'm just adjusted to years of terrible camera control during the 32-bit era that I can cope.

When I played the New 3DS in Gamestop I wasn't happy with the C-stick at all but I bought one regardless and something just clicked when I was messing with it in MH3U.

The nub is great and provides a surprising amount of control for so little hardware real-estate.

letaint

Banned
As MH4 detects the c stick as a CPP, at a driver level they must be compatible. There is still hope for it in the next gen new-new-3DS.

I am totally annoyed that NONE of the multiple impressions I read and watched actually described WHAT the C-stick was!

If someone had just told me it was exactly like the old laptop pointing nubs, that's all I would've needed to know. Did anyone in the press actually describe it this way before it came out?

DavidDesu

That photoshop looks fine to me. I don't understand adding in a much needed functional second stick and going for the nub design they went for. It's such a poor compromise. As someone else said, it's fine for camera control, but not fine aiming. Why not just give you a proper circle pad that can be used for everything a typical second stick would be?

Why not? Nintendo. :p

Kadin

Have they said one way or the other that future games that support the C-stick will also be supported by the CPP for the 3DS(XL) systems as well? I know that the C-stick supports previous CPP games but will it work the opposite way in the future?

Still debating on getting a N3DS or just ordering a CPP for my XL.

Thoraxes

Personally I like the way the nub works and it's in a great location. Any shifting of the buttons or controls as they are now would just make the system really hard to gold and have really poor ergonomics.

I played MH for quite a while earlier. The nub works quite well but my thumb felt a little sore from it. I would prefer s circle pad if given the choice, but the nub is manageable.
Exactly where I am with it. The other improvements (holy fuck dat 3D) make the n3DS worth it.

No in the software it is actually identified as though you had a circle pad pro attached to the console. It is not meant to replace the actions of a d-pad

I understand that, but from what I can tell from using it, it doesn't actually support as many input directions as the regular circle pad, I was just wondering if it was a hardware or software issue.

Ace 8095

The c-stick works great for what it's designed for, camera control in 3d action games. I would hate to use either the circle pad or c-stick for aiming.

Just posting this image forr reference of those that can't remember or don't know what the c stick looks like....

DSC06136.jpg

Top Bottom