• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got a new PC case in the mail today, now I just have to swap the insides

Drizzlehell

Banned
pr_2020_11_14_13_38_0_448_00.jpg

Got the white one to match with the design of PS5, Xbox Series S, and both VR goggles.

God, I'm dreading this whole arduous process so much. Not only are my mitts way too large to be handling tiny bolts and screws inside of a PC case, but there's always a risk that something will be lose, or that thermal paste will be applied incorrectly and I'll have to redo some steps again. It's practically my whole afternoon gone right there, lol.

Wish me luck, though!

Got the white one to match with the design of PS5, Xbox Series S, and both VR goggles.

God, I'm dreading this whole arduous process so much. Not only are my mitts way too large to be handling tiny bolts and screws inside of a PC case, but there's always a risk that something will be lose, or that thermal paste will be applied incorrectly and I'll have to redo some steps again. It's practically my whole afternoon gone right there, lol.

Wish me luck, though!
I can whip out the innards of a PC and slap them into a new case in no time. Should've called! :messenger_winking:

I actually loooove building and dissembling a PC but what sucks is that it's my own hard earned money that bought the parts so i'm a nervous wreck when buying new hardware and installing it. If I was doing it for someone else I'd have a blast. I bought "PC building simulator" because I liked it so much and of course there was no risk to it since it's a game lol.

edit: that's a nice case. i have a Fractal case too. had it for 7 years now and see no reason to ever replace it.

Last edited:
As a novice who just took apart a laptop to add more RAM I feel your pain. I had to take it apart twice because I didn't snap it in perfectly. All the while hoping my sweat wouldn't drip onto the motherboard......

Drizzlehell

Banned
Building a PC can be fun. Except for this thing:
Companies that make cases and motherboards HAVE to come up with a better standard than this.

RCvmEp3.jpg
They'd have to standardize the design to make a one-size-fits-all solution for led and switch sockets on the motherboards. Which is probably harder than it sounds, lol.

Drizzlehell

Banned
As a novice who just took apart a laptop to add more RAM I feel your pain. I had to take it apart twice because I didn't snap it in perfectly. All the while hoping my sweat wouldn't drip onto the motherboard......
Good job!

I mean, I wouldn't say that I'm a novice because I've been assembling my own PCs since I was a kid but I always found it super frustrating. Mostly because of how hard it is for me to reach into tiny crevices with my big sausage fingers.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Building a PC can be fun. Except for this thing:
Companies that make cases and motherboards HAVE to come up with a better standard than this.

RCvmEp3.jpg
Why? You only have to do this once and that's it. They've been standard for over two decades now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I had to do this a couple of years ago multiple times and by the end i got pretty good at it.

The hardest part is putting on the heatsink bracket because it needs to go under and you have to hold it from both sides. very hard to do with just one person.

But the rest is plugging shit in and out. It is very simple compared to building cabinets, kids toys and other furniture. Go in with the mindset that you are going to enjoy it and you will enjoy it. Dont dread about messing up thermal paste. it is almost impossible to fuck it up. and even if you do, its very easy to remove the new AIOs nowadays.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why? You only have to do this once and that's it. They've been standard for over two decades now.
Because they are needlessly fiddly are often tucked away in a corner, can't be done before the motherboard is in the case and as they are standard it could just be a single plug always arranged the same.

Sleepwalker

I've travelled with my desktop PC a few times over the past years, always just carry the innards and have a case in both locations so I've gotten pretty used to it, you'll do it in no time I believe in you OP.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Wish me luck, though!
When you say swap the insides - assume its already built?

Cant you do it so you dont take the heatsink off the processor? If you are careful you can do it in one go - unless you are specifically applying more paste.

Drizzlehell

Banned
N4BCjsK.jpg

That was surprisingly easy. Easier than I anticipated.

Mostly because the new case is so intuitively built. There's so much more space there to manouver around compared to my shitty old case, and I absolutely loved some on the QOL whachamacallits that made it so much easier to install some of the components (like the little docking space tucked away behind the mobo frame where you can snap on the SSD). Everything slid into place so smoothly it was almost erotic.

When you say swap the insides - assume its already built?

Cant you do it so you dont take the heatsink off the processor? If you are careful you can do it in one go - unless you are specifically applying more paste.
Yeah, that's exactly what I ended up doing. I was worried that I'll have to disassemble CPU cooler because I couldn't remember if it covered any of the screws on the motherboard. But it was fine, I was able to get in there easily and the installation in the new case was ridiculously easy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I thought about doing that for this new build but honestly I haven't totally regreted as the 4090 is so big that I went less compromised and got the Corsair 7000D.

Doing that it's almost like moving to a new house or even doing a power supply upgrade it's probably tedious just because I hate taking all those cables out and redoing the table management. I'm sure you'll be fine and just is a little bit more tedious than I will want to spend the time doing.

winjer

Gold Member
They'd have to standardize the design to make a one-size-fits-all solution for led and switch sockets on the motherboards. Which is probably harder than it sounds, lol.

What they are using now is already a standard.
They just have to improve it. For example, by making it just one single connector.

BlackTron

I actually loooove building and dissembling a PC but what sucks is that it's my own hard earned money that bought the parts so i'm a nervous wreck when buying new hardware and installing it. If I was doing it for someone else I'd have a blast. I bought "PC building simulator" because I liked it so much and of course there was no risk to it since it's a game lol.
Opposite here. When it's my parts, I'm casual. When it's someone elses hardware, I feel accountable.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Same! (Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact Black TG Dark Tint to be exact)

Way too tiny for my tastes but I made it work. Somehow.

I’m a sucker for yuge cases. Haven’t had a pc in a while but if I get another I’m getting a big ass case. I actually was eyeing the torrent e-atx actually.

Nothing says business like a pc case the size of a small fridge.

Pakoe

Man (re)building PCs is actually fun (don't tell my family, they'll harass me for tech support). Enjoy the process and stressing the first time you try to turn it on and it doesn't work.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Man (re)building PCs is actually fun (don't tell my family, they'll harass me for tech support). Enjoy the process and stressing the first time you try to turn it on and it doesn't work.
I'm a professional. When I put something together you best believe that it'll boot up on first try.

Smiggs

Same! (Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact Black TG Dark Tint to be exact)

Way too tiny for my tastes but I made it work. Somehow.
I've got the Meshify C TG, which is apparently slightly smaller than your Meshify 2. I honestly didn't think it was too small at all, and my EVGA 3080 FTW3 fits in with no issues.

Top Bottom