• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official thread of "GAF I got a PS3, now what?"

Raist

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
OMG! :(

But yeah. Really it was form factor (fat looks much nicer) vs. function and unknown reliability. Went with function and crossed my fingers about the quality.

Just wait for a couple of days, I'm sure some random crazy dude will post a video to show how to put a Slim's internals into a Fat case.

Quick tip for any newbies who want to buy stuff of off PSN but do not want to get charged tax.

In the account management section, for the home address, input a valid address from a state that does not charge taxes (for example, the state of Oregon does not charge tax).
This way you could buy two $9.99 games with a $20 PSN card and not worry about going over because of tax.

If this is not allowed, please pm me and I will edit my post.

noah111

Still Alive
That tip is really useful, it better be allowed. :D

BTW Raist, it's now pretty much confirmed that the slim isn't universal anymore :( (so you can update the OP).

Also, for upgrading your HDD on the slim there's this video (skip to :45) from joystiq.. + these images;

1UUEDRci6xsH3VV2.large

eMZXiSXRuffmAmlo.large

sK3Qx3BE6p1lCSJF.large

PS. If you want a bigger banner image/dividers I have 720p versions of those shots.. :)

Zzoram

So I don't really like MGS4. It's fine in game, abeit the controls kinda suck, but the constant cutscenes is driving me bonkers. Especially since most of them seem to be about nothing or are way longer than they need to be.

Did they really need a 10 minute cutscene to explain why I can buy guns from a menu?

What exclusive should I try next? I'm interested in LBP GOTY, but I'm afraid it won't be particularly fun, just pretty.

noah111

Still Alive
vilmer_ said:
I'd love those shots in 720p, they'd make a great PS3 wallpaper! Really like the sharp dark and light contrasts.
Sure;

t9i8m9.png

14y50ds.jpg

vzdnb5.png

Excuse the quality since they're only screen-caps from the newer slim/GC videos, best quality I could get out of them.

Raist

Banned
Zzoram said:
So I don't really like MGS4. It's fine in game, abeit the controls kinda suck, but the constant cutscenes is driving me bonkers. Especially since most of them seem to be about nothing or are way longer than they need to be.

Did they really need a 10 minute cutscene to explain why I can buy guns from a menu?

It's MGS

What exclusive should I try next? I'm interested in LBP GOTY, but I'm afraid it won't be particularly fun, just pretty.

It's very fun especially in MP (local or online).
As for other games, depends on your tastes. See OP.

Zzoram

Raist said:
It's MGS

It's very fun especially in MP (local or online).
As for other games, depends on your tastes. See OP.

Does LBP have unlimited lives at checkpoints? Because it would be stupid if it didn't. I kinda want LBP for local coop.

teekun

Zzoram said:
Does LBP have unlimited lives at checkpoints? Because it would be stupid if it didn't. I kinda want LBP for local coop.

The checkpoints are variable, and there are definitely some which have limited lives which prove to be incredibly frustrating, especially in co-op.

Zzoram

teekun said:
The checkpoints are variable, and there are definitely some which have limited lives which prove to be incredibly frustrating, especially in co-op.

Is it easy to open up those levels and tweak the checkpoints to be unlimited? Or can we not edit other people's levels?

noah111

Still Alive
Zzoram said:
Depends on the level, unless you mean the single player? Then no, if you die 5 times (ie respawn at that checkpoint 5 times) then you will have to restart that level. Not that hard though tbh.. If you mean user levels, many these days have the infinite checkpoint respawner, but those that don't shouldn't be too difficult. Also, you can only edit a level if the user has allowed it, and that's pretty rare tbh (no one wants other to steal credit).

vilmer_ said:
Awesome, do you have any of the those HDD swap shots in 720+?
Only this one.

mr_nothin

Banned
Zzoram said:
MM should have put rubber at the bottom of all death pits so nobody can die.

Raist

Banned
Zzoram said:
Is it easy to open up those levels and tweak the checkpoints to be unlimited? Or can we not edit other people's levels?

You'd have to copy said level (provided the author allowed it) and replace the regular checkpoints by unlimited ones (you'd have to get this kind of checkpoints as a reward from a user generated level tho, I don't think it's ever been made available by the devs).

Story mode levels aren't that hard, except if you're going to 100% the game.

mr_nothin said:

:lol

Zzoram

mr_nothin said:

It's kinda hard to get non-gamers to try LBP if they keep dying and can't play with you just because some jerk thinks that you should have limited respawns.

teekun

Zzoram said:
It's kinda hard to get non-gamers to try LBP if they keep dying and can't play with you just because some jerk thinks that you should have limited respawns.

If you're trying to get a "non-gamer" into the game, it isn't hard to start at the beginning of the game, where limited lives aren't much of an issue at all due to the fact that there are very few places where you can actually die.

Raist

Banned
teekun said:
If you're trying to get a "non-gamer" into the game, it isn't hard to start at the beginning of the game, where limited lives aren't much of an issue at all due to the fact that there are very few places where you can actually die.

Yes, the story levels have a very balanced ramping up in difficulty.
Don't throw non gamers in the great wheel of death tho :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
Raist said:
Yes, the story levels have a very balanced ramping up in difficulty.
Don't throw non gamers in the great wheel of death tho :lol

Oddly enough, my non gamer wife picked up the controller and took me through the wheel of death on her first try. She watched me die over and over and when I set the controller down to take a break and calm down, she gave it a try and passed it.

And then I kept saying "don't die" until she made it to the end of the level. With the stupid backwards conveyor.

Raist

Banned
AndyD said:
Oddly enough, my non gamer wife picked up the controller and took me through the wheel of death on her first try. She watched me die over and over and when I set the controller down to take a break and calm down, she gave it a try and passed it.

And then I kept saying "don't die" until she made it to the end of the level. With the stupid backwards conveyor.

Well it was nice knowing you. Give your GAF card to your wife. Now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Raist said:
Well it was nice knowing you. Give your GAF card to your wife. Now.

:lol
She gives me flak about it. But whatever, I am man enough to admit it. And she did have experience a bit with LBP because she helped me out with all 2 player hidden areas.

Max

I am not Max
EB didn't have any new copies of Uncharted, but they were selling used copies for $30 :lol

Bother that nonsense.

braves01

Banned
Picked up the 160 GB bundle earlier this week for $340 from Best Buy. I thought about waiting for a slim but was planning on buying Uncharted anyways, so for $10 extra I got 40 more gigs than a slim which I'm pretty happy about. Uncharted, by the way, is a game totally worthy of all the GAF hype (for once).

Max

I am not Max
Just got my Slim and i'm wondering something, for some reason the ps3 won't allow 1080p display mode, and the Siren demo ran in 720p even though 1080i is selected. I'm confused about this because my 360 ran in 1080p without HDMI, halp?

bill0527

Max said:
Just got my Slim and i'm wondering something, for some reason the ps3 won't allow 1080p display mode, and the Siren demo ran in 720p even though 1080i is selected. I'm confused about this because my 360 ran in 1080p without HDMI, halp?

You'll need a HDMI cable to get 1080p on the PS3 because of the copy-protection system on Blu-Ray discs.

Raist

Banned
Max said:
Sorry, forgot to mention its using HDMI

I'm not sure Siren can run at 1080p. Even if it's the case, most games that canbe upscaled to 1080p won't be if you check 720p as it's their native resolution.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Okay, I'd like to get this out of the way. Could any provide me with a massively detailed description on how to set up the PS3 through wireless. I do not have the slight idea... I know nothing about security or anything on the modem.

Also, what are the best VGA cables to get with the system? Cheaper the better! but still quality

Max

I am not Max
Raist said:
I'm not sure Siren can run at 1080p. Even if it's the case, most games that canbe upscaled to 1080p won't be if you check 720p as it's their native resolution.
Sorry if i'm not understanding correctly;

I have both 720p and 1080i checked, but when I check 1080p it tests my TV and then says "OUT OF RANGE", which I don't understand because my 360 used 1080p fine. Uncharted demo starts in 720p and the Stardust demo starts in 1080i, can you set the native resolution for each game?

vocab

Max said:

I have both 720p and 1080i checked, but when I check 1080p it tests my TV and then says "OUT OF RANGE", which I don't understand because my 360 used 1080p fine. Uncharted demo starts in 720p and the Stardust demo starts in 1080i, can you set the native resolution for each game?

Do you have a HDMI cable? What's your TV's native res?

Raist

Banned
Max said:

Uncharted's native resolution is 720p. It can run @ 1080i (not sure about p) if you force it, that is uncheck 720p. SSDHD can be rendered @ 720p or 1080i/p natively. That's why it picks the highest resolution even if both are checked.

Now I'm not sure about this "Out of range" thing. That's weird. What's your TV model?

vocab

Max said:
Yes. And I have no idea, all I know is that it supported all resolutions on 360

So basically when you try 1080p it doesn't work? That's weird. What about 1080P in SSHD? You might as well just uncheck 1080i then, and let everything play in 720p if 1080P doesn't work on games that actually support that res.

We should add a list of exclusive games out now and in the near future to the list. Im a long long time ps3 owner launch in japan and even i forget what games have come out in the past exclusives and whats out in 6 months time since all the delays of late.

Max said:

Is your HDMI cable version 1.3 or higher? If not, that may be your problem. If I'm not mistaken, older HDMI cables don't have the bandwidth to transmit that much data.

You need one that can do

1920 * 1080 * 60 (fps) * 48 (bit depth for deep color) = 5.56Gbps

Max said:
Yeah 1.3 :lol

RGB is limited, and both cross color and super white have been off
I don't know what else to say, then. I have heard of a few TVs that just wouldn't support 1080p with certain HDMI cables on the PS3. I don't know what the difference was, but some people were able to fix the problem by trying a different cable. Others fixed the problem by updating the TVs firmware.

PS3 slim arrived today. I have a 720p LCD, have all the resolution issues from launch been resolved?

Can I just set it at 720p and forget it for all content and Blu Rays?

Sho_Nuff82 said:
PS3 slim arrived today. I have a 720p LCD, have all the resolution issues from launch been resolved?

Can I just set it at 720p and forget it for all content and Blu Rays?
I don't know what resolution issues you speak of, but I have a 720p display and I only have 720p checked. No problems for me.

AwRy108

stuburns said:
Me too. Another game that might look cool that should be avoided like a rancid crack whore is Rag Doll Kunk Fu, that shit is fucking garbage.

It was worth it when Sprint paid for my copy, but that's about my price limit for this title.

No45

CrayzeeCarl said:
I don't know what resolution issues you speak of, but I have a 720p display and I only have 720p checked. No problems for me.
The problem was with 1080i only sets I think, not 720p. Games that didn't support 1080i would default to 480p/i and obviously look like ass.

AndyD

aka andydumi
AwRy108 said:
It was worth it when Sprint paid for my copy, but that's about my price limit for this title.
Really? We like that one a lot for 4 player mayhem. People come over and they are like, is this like Smash Brothers? Awesome! And we end up playing for hours. When I tell them it was free they don't believe it.

Top Bottom