• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got an Xbox Live update right now...

feel

useless (and surprisingly long) update for me since I always like going to dash first but
Phloxy said:
Apparently anybody with a hacked Xbox can't play Modern Warfare 2, Blops, and Halo Reach. Talk about getting pwned lol.
this made it very worth it. :)

Z_Y

Drkirby said:
Maybe Microsoft realized the bulk of people likely use a single ISO, do a simple check to see if any files are changed, make the new firmware check those files for alterations, and stop it from booting.

One possibility is that it could just eat up a decent chunk of firmware space for each entry, so they kept it to a few large titles.

This is all baseless speculation mind you.

I don't use the option since a good amount of the time when I boot my 360, I want to play an XBLA game.

That is not how it works. They are basically enabling a security check on the biggest online games out there. The check is done by calculating something from how the game is pressed/burnt. Bootleg discs will look differently than retail games and therefore won't boot.

BUT...

http://forums.xbox.com/35567876/ShowPost.aspx

Should be interesting to watch....

Manp

Wario64 said:
JdAna.jpg

Due to popular demand, we have added "boot to disc" feature with the latest Xbox Live patch

yeaah, next you're going to tell me RE5 will be on the 360... pffftt

Dabanton

Yazuka said:
What that? I'm not really sure what I'm looking at...

Xbox.com update:
Additionally, on Thursday January 20th the Xbox.com team will ship an update that contains a small update to the Gamercards. We’ve updated the Gamercard look and feel a bit and removed gamerzone from the card. Other than that, the same amount of information is on the card. Here is an example:

It's also rumoured that MS is adding more games to their 'will not boot' list so if your're a pirate bad luck.

Z_Y

Ben2749 said:
Yeah, if Microsoft are capable of identifying and locking out hackers, why not lock them out from everything?

From my limited understanding...not all games can do the new security check...but there are some that can but they have not been enabled to do so yet. Also, not all drives can support the new check.

You have to also understand that the most that they can do is ban people from Live. So why not go after the people playing the most popular titles on Live? Maybe it is not worth the effort to go after Joe Schmoe Pirate playing a single player game...because he is just going to keep playing it offline.

At first I thought that "new" gamercard was just one of those random website creation ones, it looks a bit iffy to me, removal of zone is welcome as it was completely pointless from day 1, never helped with matchmaking and even then people would abuse it and enter the family list just to steam roll people.

Xbox brand going back to black more then ever, I like the matte white xboxes :(

Brimstone said:
Plenty of people still play Shadowrun. Sadly when a PC player is on, all you get is digital garble when they talk which is rather frustrating. One of the dashboard updates broke voice chat in Shadowrun.

HA HA HA man are you still tooting that little horn?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
TemplaerDude said:
HA HA HA man are you still tooting that little horn?

Sorry but the Halo Reach match making system puts me to sleep.

Select Big Team Battle

"3 choices of maps appear"

people vote for another another 3 choices to appear

"3 choices of maps appear"

the voting is close but "two flags on Hemmorhage" wins

"the game is finally about to start then two guys on my team quit"

waiting for the game to decide a new server

now I have a 15 minute round timer and my team is down two teammates

Very underwhelming.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
TemplaerDude said:
My post was in reference to Brimstone and his notorious Shadowrun reputation. Still one of the funniest times I've been part of GAF.

Well the good times haven't gone away. What you call reputation, I call Badge of Honor.

xbhaskarx

Phloxy said:
Apparently anybody with a hacked Xbox can't play Modern Warfare 2, Blops, and Halo Reach. Talk about getting pwned lol.

Hah, that is awesome.
Someone post a link to the angry pirates complaining about this....

Miggytronz

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/01/19/mandatory.xbox.anti.piracy.25.update.released/

Microsoft released its latest Dashboard update for the Xbox 360 on Wednesday. It re-enables the Boot-to-Disc option once disabled to discourage piracy but also blocks those flashed with hacked firmware to load bootleg games. Officially known as the anti-piracy 2.5 update, it's reportedly effective as a large number of modders on forums have said they can't load their burned games after the install.

The update is mandatory to play on Xbox Live.

At the same time, Microsoft’s Major Nelson confirmed the company will make subtle changes to Xbox Live gamer cards on January 20. The look will be different, while a user's gamer zone has been removed.

Xbox.com update:
Additionally, on Thursday January 20th the Xbox.com team will ship an update that contains a small update to the Gamercards. We’ve updated the Gamercard look and feel a bit and removed gamerzone from the card. Other than that, the same amount of information is on the card.

WaltJay

Neuromancer said:
Will never happen unless they figure out away to spam your friends blade with ads.

Exactly. Next thing we know, my friends online will all be standing by Wendy's billboards instead of the usual premium theme thingees.

Mikhal

Wow. Never even realized that was a bug. I set my system to directly boot the disc since most of the time all I play is SSF4. In the event that I want it to boot to the dashboard instead, I just turn the system on with the eject button instead of power. Figured my settings got reset after the last update and was too lazy to change em back.

sciplore

The new updated memory cards look nice and all but I wish this update will fix the damn clock time. For some reason it jumps me a hour ahead. Yea I know about messing with daylight savings and region but that has done nothing to fix it.

Emitan

I don't know why you people love the friends blade so much. Scrolling through it gives me motion sickness and I've heard the same thing from tons of people when they changed how it looked. And the Guide menu lets you see more easily what they're doing.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I too only ever use the Boot to Dashboard option so I never even knew about this bug - as soon as the 360 goes on, it's always joining or starting a party chat, then going through the latest stuff to download - demos, XBLA games, etc.

And as always, I love reading about these stealth anti-pirate updates that catch so many off-guard.

Z_Y said:
That is not how it works. They are basically enabling a security check on the biggest online games out there. The check is done by calculating something from how the game is pressed/burnt. Bootleg discs will look differently than retail games and therefore won't boot.

BUT...

http://forums.xbox.com/35567876/ShowPost.aspx

Should be interesting to watch....

These are nothing but the usual lying assholes that claim to not pirate/cheat when busted, and then shut up and never post again once the proof is brought out - always good for a laugh, especially when it happens with Halo Reach, and detailed, minute stats are put out on display for how and how much they cheated.

arab

uhh i installed the update and played CODBLOPS on live just fine for a couple hours but in the middle of one game, my 360 froze. i rebooted it once and it seemed to work for a second but froze again. now, my xbox won't display video or play sound and no quadrants show up on the power button nor do any controllers get detected.

if my xbox is dead because of this update, i will shit...

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
They should have waited until after the first Black Ops DLC. That would have been much more funny.

-PXG-

Why would they take it out? I guess their intention was to entice users to buy whatever bullshit is on the the dashboard when you boot up? Okay...

-PXG- said:
Why would they take it out? I guess their intention was to entice users to buy whatever bullshit is on the the dashboard when you boot up? Okay...

My guess is that it had something to do with Kinect.

Glad to see the option back for people who want it. I'm definitely a boot to dash person though since I usually leave discs in the system.

def sim

They didn't intentionally take it out, it was a bug.

But yeah, I go to dash anyway like most people here because we don't play videogames. We just buy them!

JRW

Im guessing there was more to the update than the boot to disc option? It seemed like a pretty big download unless my connection just happen to be slow then.

arab

rghrghrgh it doesn't seem like very many people have the same issue that i do. i hope ms will repair it :[

Why For?

Banned
Ok so that's what it is.

I'm surprised people even boot to disc in this day and age.

Have been booting to dash since the Dreamcast released. Although SOMETIMES with the Dreamcast I'd put the game in before turning it on.

But normally, I couldn't rememebr which save files were on which VMU, so I'd turn on empty, check the VMU, then put the game in.

But with the fully featured dashboards we have now, even on the portables, I'm surprised anyone boots straight into the game these days.

Grifter

sciplore said:
The new updated memory cards look nice and all but I wish this update will fix the damn clock time. For some reason it jumps me a hour ahead. Yea I know about messing with daylight savings and region but that has done nothing to fix it.
i just noticed that. smh. how do they screw that up?

sciplore

Grifter said:
i just noticed that. smh. how do they screw that up?
I don't even know, at first I thought it was me until my cousin mentioned it has been like that for him too since the update.

Rhindle said:
Nice.

Did they ban consoles or XBL accounts, do we know?
Modded consoles that have MW2, BLOPS and Reach in the disc drives.

voltron

Am I imagining things, or did they add a bunch of DVD playback features that used to be enabled way back at launch?

Stuff like the ability to set a playback loop and other random features like being able to select subtitles in the menu overlay while the DVD is playing....

Am I crazy? I swear thats new.

Grifter

I've been able to set subtitles all along, but from my universal remote. I did wonder why I didn't see that option in the regular menu, tho.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
voltron said:
Am I imagining things, or did they add a bunch of DVD playback features that used to be enabled way back at launch?

Stuff like the ability to set a playback loop and other random features like being able to select subtitles in the menu overlay while the DVD is playing....

Am I crazy? I swear thats new.
Always been there.

voltron

Ahh I just realised why I thought it was new. I actually watched a DVD in my 360 for the first time in ages. Usually Im streaming ripped content. The menu is slightly different for streaming video.

Dizzle24

I was trying to figure out what the update did, but couldn't figure it out. Then my avatar clothes were updating every time I wanted to customize today.

I'm just glad I found out that I could delete 0 Achievement games from my history!! Thanks to the video on the Inside Xbox tab.

rance said:
They didn't intentionally take it out, it was a bug.

Just means if you ever see anyone wearing the following t-shirt
12cc8d1b.png

Give em a pat on the back and then swiftly punch 'em in their avatar jeans.
A job well done.

Top Bottom