• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield's 60fps update boosts Xbox players numbers by 72%

Draugoth

Gold Member
starfields-major-update-boosts-xbox-players-by-72.jpg

The latest major update adding new display settings, improved surface maps, and much more, has seen Starfield's Xbox player numbers boosted by 72%.

Per figures gathered by outlet True Achievements, Starfield has climbed nine places in the latest Xbox gameplay charts - now breaking into the top 20 games played on the platform.

More players are firing up their ships to chase down the Starfield achievements following the arrival of its big update 1.11.36, with Starfield's Xbox player numbers seeing a boost of over 70%.

via TrueAchievements

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
Shame they had to compromise on their artistic decision for this:

"At some point, not to get all geeky about it, but there's render time per-frame and teams can either want to go horizontal or go kind of deep on a frame, and it's a creative choice. We obviously have games that are running at 4K/60 on the platform. It’s not a platform issue, it’s a creative decision. I trust the decisions Bethesda Game Studios makes, and I trust what I'm playing.“

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Waiting for the DLC for a serious playthrough but performance patch took me by surprises how well the game still looks at 60 fps(or higher with uncapped + VRR) on XSX.

HL3.exe

Did the fix the boring ass fetch quests without any suspense or the inoffensive sitcom style character writing?

No?

Edit: tried the patch on PC. Performance is definitely up, but got reminded how boring it's world, mechanics and quest structure are. It would be awesome if you get incentived to be more mischievous in the social hubs or something, but no.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
60 fps is a welcome change. Too bad it won't fix the larger gameplay issues.

If you like Bethesda games, have an Xbox Series X and Gamepass, then by all means you should check it out. It is worth playing and seeing.

Whether you find it worth finishing and getting a full 1000 gamerscore is completely up to you.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Seems like the kind of game in which the longer I wait before playing it, the better. Kinda like Cyberpunk.
Kinda like almost every game nowadays. I swear almost every big game I bought day 1 in the last few years got some very significant improvements, bug fixes, and expansions in the ~year after launch. And every time I wished I’d waited.

I’m done buying games day 1, all it means is you paid the highest price to play the worst possible version of the game.

kikkis

60 fps is a welcome change. Too bad it won't fix the larger gameplay issues.

If you like Bethesda games, have an Xbox Series X and Gamepass, then by all means you should check it out. It is worth playing and seeing.

Whether you find it worth finishing and getting a full 1000 gamerscore is completely up to you.
What are the larger gameplay issues?

Saber

I mean its good for the people who like this game.
But makes me wonder, what about the artistic vision or creative bullcrap they said at the start?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What are the larger gameplay issues?
Shitty exploration ruins the experience. It completely removes any incentive to wander off the beaten path, which was what made Skyrim and Fallout great. There was nothing like wandering around, running into a settlement in those games and then entering into a full blown quest line., Starfield has not of that. Just a bunch of procedurally generated planets. A complete waste of time.

Mortisfacio

Banned
Shitty exploration ruins the experience. It completely removes any incentive to wander off the beaten path, which was what made Skyrim and Fallout great. There was nothing like wandering around, running into a settlement in those games and then entering into a full blown quest line., Starfield has not of that. Just a bunch of procedurally generated planets. A complete waste of time.

Would be great if they improved this aspect, but this is ultimately why I won't revisit the game until they implement land vehicles. You can run from point A to point B on one of these planets and after 5 minutes of doing nothing except running, you find some outpost with a box of salvage items and maybe 3 enemies that you've also seen on every other procedurally generated area.

There is no reward for your time spent. At least if they made the travel quicker (with ground vehicles) then maybe I could stomach this, but it's awful in its current state.

Would be great if they improved this aspect, but this is ultimately why I won't revisit the game until they implement land vehicles. You can run from point A to point B on one of these planets and after 5 minutes of doing nothing except running, you find some outpost with a box of salvage items and maybe 3 enemies that you've also seen on every other procedurally generated area.

There is no reward for your time spent. At least if they made the travel quicker (with ground vehicles) then maybe I could stomach this, but it's awful in its current state.
Yep, I haven't played since October and don't plan to until they add land vehicles. I ran around on foot for an hour on a planet doing nothing but scanning things, that nearly put me to sleep and it's an area that's related to the story so I can't skip it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Opinions on the overall quality of the game aside, that 60 FPS performance mode makes a really big difference in how this game feels to play.

salva

I'm hooked, back into the game now, I fken love it.
Just started my 3rd NG+. Going to spend this one doing ship builds and outposts. Haven't even done either of those once in my 100hrs so far

Last edited:
That's not really true? I've been playing this a lot recently (got back into it after the update, which has improved things a lot) - I decided to press on a bit with the main storyline by doing a mission. Had to make a stop at another system on the way because it was too far and received a distress call from the surface. Considered ignoring it, but decided to check it out - three hours later I was finishing up a really enjoyable series of tasks defending a research station from the Spacers which included both surface stuff and my first real experience of space combat (which I enjoyed a lot). Hadn't moved the main story on a bit. I'm now keen to start upgrading my ship ASAP. So much here I haven't even touched yet.

I wasn't exactly off the beaten path as I was heading to a main quest marker, but it successfully waylaid me with a quest I had no intention of undertaking...

Game is way better than its reputation now.

Top Bottom