• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield's 60fps update boosts Xbox players numbers by 72%

consoul

I'm not 30fps defense force by any means (I didn't buy the game 'til this patch came out), but in fairness to Todd, what he said was right:

"there's render time per-frame and teams can either want to go horizontal or go kind of deep on a frame, and it's a creative choice. We obviously have games that are running at 4K/60 on the platform. It’s not a platform issue, it’s a creative decision."

Context matters.
He wasn't saying it was a creative choice to go with 30fps because it was cinematic or whatever. He was acknowledging the reality that at that time, they technically couldn't achieve what they were going for at 60fps. Eight months later they were able to pull off a level of performance they were happy with at 60fps.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I'm not 30fps defense force by any means (I didn't buy the game 'til this patch came out), but in fairness to Todd, what he said was right:

Context matters.
He wasn't saying it was a creative choice to go with 30fps because it was cinematic or whatever. He was acknowledging the reality that at that time, they technically couldn't achieve what they were going for at 60fps. Eight months later they were able to pull off a level of performance they were happy with at 60fps.
Apologists is the reason this companys are able to pullout this bullshit pr moves... specially MS. You people will never learn.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I reckon I'll start a new run when the dlc drops, I assume they'll deliver further QOL improvements then too.

I didn't mind what I played first time around but I didn't feel particularly enthused either. I think there's good stuff there, but it needed a bit of polish.

FireFly

Apologists is the reason this companys are able to pullout this bullshit pr moves... specially MS. You people will never learn.
It was a PR spin on an actual technical limitation that was partially resolved with successive patches (still no 60 FPS in New Atlantis/Akila).

twilo99

How they managed to get it running at 60 frames with that absolutely awful CPU is beyond me

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I would rather they used some half truths and locked the game at 30FPS for launch and set that expectation well in advance over doing a square enix and market their game as having a 60FPS mode and it be absolute bollox like FFXVI.

Astray

How they managed to get it running at 60 frames with that absolutely awful CPU is beyond me
The CPU on both PS5/Xbox Series is outdated, not awful.

Compare this to the Jaguar-archs used in their predecessors, which were underpowered and shitty even when they were new, and you'll see the difference is stark.

As an old gamer, it's so weird for me how it's now normal for games to "get better over time". How strange that releasing incomplete products is accepted as normal. We live in weird times.
I think it's simply down to the complexity of these games now and the monumental task of getting every part as good as it can be.

tr1p1ex

As an old gamer, it's so weird for me how it's now normal for games to "get better over time". How strange that releasing incomplete products is accepted as normal. We live in weird times.
Yeah the mentality is to buy the broken game, complain super loud and get it finished/fixed after 2 years. I don't get it.

Except the audience is mostly the ~13-25 male. It isn't those of us who have been around for awhile.

ReBurn

Gold Member
You could say the same thing about building cars. I'm glad they don't sell unfinished cars. (Well, they didn't used to.)
My 2024 SUV gets software updates at least twice per month. Ford fixed a transmission rattle in my F-150 with a software update. Even vehicles aren't completely finished when they roll out of the factory these days.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Back to this:

I legit hope that this shows developers that gamers DO care about 60 fps and their needs to be significant effort into making sure that this sort of mode is always available.

Sony has been great about this with excellent results on first party games and mixed results on 3rd party exclusives.

Try playing Sea of Thieves then let me know its possible to release something like that in a complete state.

Top Bottom